The Polarities Mod

PolaritiesLogo.png

The Polarities Mod is a content mod which aims to add a number of interesting and mechanically unique bosses, enemies, and items to the game. My goals with the mod are to prioritize quality over quantity and to fit fairly closely to vanilla progression up until the defeat of Moon Lord.

Now with a 1.4 port currently in beta! (Note that not all of the content from 1.3 has been ported yet.)

Storm Cloudfish

BossStormCloudfish.png

An early rain-themed boss which drops several useful early-game accessories and a rain toggle. Intended to be fought pre-EoC.

Star Construct

BossStarConstruct.png

A boss best described as an unholy screaming mixture of Golem, Plantera, and a player who just discovered grappling hooks, intended to be fought at around the same time as the world evil bosses (Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu). It occasionally falls from the sky in a dormant state, and can be woken up by hitting it a few times, although the player can also summon it manually.

Gigabat

Gigabat_(Polarities_Mod).gif

A massive bat, fought in the caverns, which summons a swarm of minions to defend itself and attack the player. Uniquely, it is summoned by releasing gemflies (crafted from gems and fireflies) in the cavern layer. The more gemflies released and the higher the tier of gem used to craft them, the faster the bat will arrive. Intended to be fought slightly before Queen Bee.

Rift Denizen

RiftDenizen.png

Sun Pixie

sunpixie preview.gif

A giant pixie which bombards the player with lasers and death rays. Drops several sun-themed weapons useful for the mechanical bosses and a bit beyond. Intended to be fought after at least one Mech.

Esophage

Esophage.png

A boss themed around both world evils which provides access to the alternate world evil upon its defeat, intended to be fought at around the same time as Plantera. Surprisingly reminiscient of a jumping spider.

Convective Wanderer

ConvectiveWanderer.png

Obligatory worm boss.

Selfsimilar Sentinel

SelfsimilarSentinelP2.png

An order-3 aperiogonal tiling found in the fractal dimension. That wants to kill you. Intended to be fought at around the same time as Golem.

Eclipxie
Eclipxie.gif

A significantly more challenging version of the Sun Pixie, fought during a solar eclipse. Some of its drops are upgrades to the Sun Pixie's drops, while others are more unique. Intended to be fought post-Golem.

Hemorrphage

BossHemorrphage.png

A much stronger version of Esophage, fought during a blood moon. Because the original wasn't creepy enough, this one comes with more, longer, and spindlier legs. Intended to be fought post-Golem.

The Polarities

Electris.gif

Magneton.gif

A pair of bosses which always remain on opposite sides of the player. They drop several powerful weapons and materials for a unique armor set, as well as a useful expert-exclusive accessory. Intended to be fought as an alternative to Moon Lord.

Coders- turingcomplete30
Wiki- bubbyboytoo
Spriters- ElectroManiac, niker, triangle, Scratch Lunin, Squartron
Former team members- junk boy
With sprites from- discord_account, yogu, Vega_1, Evolution, UnworthyPie, warrenmark_art, Masked Luigi, Darkpuppey, DeJuiceTD, Jimbo Animations, Le Supreme Slimelad, nalyddd, Hugekraken, Heart Plus Up!, MountainyBear49, Rocketlauncher269, Rednbloo, TRYAGAIN211
Discord: Join the Polarities Mod Discord Server!
Wiki: Polarities Wiki

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to the Terraria Community Forums, and this shows some promise! I'll admit that I'm not too sure what it's all about asides from adding some bosses and the like, but programming in bosses definitely seems like it's far from easy.

Interesting, do you mind showing some of the new items added as well? This mod does have a cool vibe to it. Might get more popular in the future.
Thanks! And I do not mind.

Electric Edge:

LightningSword.png

A sword that rains down lightning from the sky. Drops from the Polarities.

Magnetic Streams:

MagneticStreams.png

Produces ten streams of magnetic lasers which home in on enemies by following magnetic field lines from you to said enemy. The bullets do very little damage but ignore enemy defense. (This allows it to annihilate the Dungeon Guardian, incidentally.) Drops from the Polarities.

Railgun:

Railgun.png

Accelerates bullets to eight times their normal speed, similarly to guns which shoot high velocity bullets such as the Uzi. Unlike those guns, bullets shot from the railgun retain their special properties. Drops from the Polarities.

Dipole Staff:

DipoleStaff.png

Summons a pair of Polariminis which follow similar movement patterns to the Polarities, staying on opposite sides of the player. Electrimini shoots more projectiles, but those shot by Magnetomini are homing and pass through blocks. Drops from the Polarities.

Laser Cutter:

LaserCutter.png

A sword which extends for the entire length of the screen and then some. Drops from the Sun Pixie.

Electrodynamic Tunnel:

PolaritiesTeleport.png

An accessory which allows you to teleport to the opposite side of the mouse cursor with a hotkey. Essentially an alternative RoD that sacrifices precision for range and an accessory slot for increased reaction tie. Drops from the Polarities in expert mode.

Stormcore:

StormCore.png

An accessory which, while it is raining, causes friendly cloudfish to gradually appear out of the sky. Each cloudfish occupies 1/8 of a minion slot. If it stops raining or the accessory is removed, the cloudfish will gradually disperse. Of limited use on its own, but works very well if the player has a strange barometer. Drops from the Storm Cloudfish.

Strange Barometer:

StrangeBarometer.png

Summons/dispels the rain on use. Drops from the Storm Cloudfish in expert mode.

Conductive Armor

ConductiveArmorDisplay.png

An armor set crafted from materials dropped from the Polarities. One helmet provides bonuses to ranged and mage, with a set bonus causing ordinary bullets to become magnetized and home in on enemies which have recently been hit by magic weapons. The other provides bonuses to melee and summoner, summoning an electric aura that fires lightning which leads enemy position, and causing melee attacks to shoot lightning projectiles. Also the wires glow in the dark.

Hey, welcome to the Terraria Community Forums, and this shows some promise! I'll admit that I'm not too sure what it's all about asides from adding some bosses and the like, but programming in bosses definitely seems like it's far from easy.

Thanks! My focus is primarily on adding new bosses and the items associated with them at the moment, so I'd say your assessment is fairly accurate.

v0.2.2 Changelog (was unable to post due to forums being down):
Added mantellar ore and molten spirits post-Golem
Sun Pixie and the Polarities are now immune to most debuffs
Magneton's enraged attacks now have some random spread
Nerfed magnetic streams and buffed railgun
Fixed several bugs involving the laser cutter
Added some basic netcode

v0.2.3 Changelog:
Added convective wanderers and the worm spewer
Added convective bars, Asthenos, and Volcanic Plume
Tweaked Molten Spirit AI to be more fluid
Minor bugfixes

v0.2.4 Changelog:
Added Solar Scarab Staff, Flarecallers, Blazing Ire, and Everlight (Sun Pixie drops)
Storm Cloudfish now only charges in Expert mode. Additionally, it can now be summoned at the surface regardless of rain.
Storm Cloudfish now has music!

v0.2.5 Changelog:
Added the Eclipxie, a challenging variant of the Sun Pixie fought during a solar eclipse.

v0.2.6 Changelog:
Added Blacklight, Lunarang, Sunsliver, and Solar Eye Staff (Eclipxie drops)
Added the Symbiotic Sapling, a unique summoner accessory sold by the Witch Doctor while in the jungle post-Plantera
Modified Eclipxie's sprite
Magnetic streams does more damage, but its projectiles no longer pass through blocks

Im a huge fan of the polarities, super neat boss! When are each of the bosses supposed to be fought by the way?
Storm Cloudfish is post-King Slime but pre-EoC, Sun Pixie is pre-Mechs, Eclipxie is post-Golem, and the Polarities are just before Cultist. Also thank you!
If this mod gets a lot bigger, I'd be interested to see what the Polarities boss looks like if the sprite updates!
Agreed. I was even worse at spriting than I am now when I made them =P.

v0.2.7 Changelog:
Fixed a ton of projectile hitbox issues
Weapons now properly turn you to face the direction of the cursor
Electric Edge has a new sprite (courtesy of Scratch Lunin)
Fixed bug where Symbiotic Sapling gave a 26% minion damage boost regardless of minion diversity
Volcanic plume and Asthenos now look 15% cooler

v0.2.8 Changelog:
Added Skyhook (Storm Cloudfish drop)
Added Solar Pendant and Everlight Mk. 2 (Eclipxie drops) as well as an Eclipxie mask and trophy
Fixed some issues with the Blacklight and Laser Cutter
Improved the Worm Spewer
Bars are now placeable
v0.2.9 Changelog:
Added Convective armor, Draconian, and Pyroclastic Onslaught
Fixed even more issues with the Blacklight and Laser Cutter
Placed convective bars now inflict Incinerated

Nice mod with really good and unique bosses!
The Polarities boss really impressed me. I have a feeling that the bosses would get a nice boss fight theme (when someone makes one).
I just noticed that the creator said they are going to add "cosmic horror" endgame bosses, can't wait to see how that turns out
Thank you! And yeah, the Polarities are definitely the boss I'm most proud of so far in terms of design. (Music for them is in the works btw, hopefully it turns out well.) My plan with the endgame stuff is to wait to add post-ML progression content until TML 1.4 is released, because having Zenith available really changes how balancing works. I also want to fill the gaps in pre-ML progression before then.

Thank you! And yeah, the Polarities are definitely the boss I'm most proud of so far in terms of design. (Music for them is in the works btw, hopefully it turns out well.) My plan with the endgame stuff is to wait to add post-ML progression content until TML 1.4 is released, because having Zenith available really changes how balancing works. I also want to fill the gaps in pre-ML progression before then.
TML 1.4 isn't coming out for a few months (according to TML devs), which leaves time to add lots of other content.

Last edited:
v0.3 Changelog:
Added Gigabat, a new boss fought in the underground, summoned by releasing gemflies and waiting for it to arrive. Using more and higher-tier gemflies summons the boss faster.
Added feral fang, bat sigil, chain saw, bat arrows, and echo staff
Strange Barometer is no longer expert-exclusive, and Storm Cloudfish has a new expert-exclusive accessory, Storm Scales
Stormcore now works even when it's not raining
Enraged Polarities now have 9999 defense and gain immunity to all debuffs. However, they will take 5 times as much damage each hit (effectively taking 5 damage per hit as a result)
Magnetic streams now do not ignore defense if defense is over 999, similar to the lightning aura sentries
Slightly nerfed Convective Armor

Back
Top Bottom