Video The pure loot playthrough

And part 5 is up, summing up the last part of Pre-Hardmode:

Running dry on screenshots, so decided to pack them all together in one bunch.

After the adventure in the Dungeon and getting geared up, it's time to see what I can do in the Jungle.
The answer: Not much. Ivy Chests doesn't hold much of progression value: Bullets are limited, and Hermes Boots > Anklet, I did got my hand on some feral claws though.
The point of interests are the rare Ancient Cobalt Armor, which is probably my best bet to get some decent armor around.
And the drops from the Queen Bee, as some Bee weapons will help me out against the Wall of Flesh. Queen Bee isn't much of a challenge anymore after getting Dungeon weapons.

But then, after the first fight, an useful friend has appeared:

index.php

The Bee Mount! :eek:

So I actually have a partial set of wings now, that's really awesome!
With this kind of luck, I think it would be a waste if I will not try to pursue this further after pre-hardmode.
So here I've decided to do my best to get as far as I can.

Eventually, I've reached the underworld through my main tunnel, the extra bombs found in the dungeon chests really helped a lot!
It was quite with some fall-back and get-ups. it was no easy enviroment to travel (No pickaxe, hook, and Obsidian Skull), at least the Climbing Claws and Bee Mount helped me to get accross.
Using the Shadow Key, I could earn the stuff from the final generated chests. Which also have some great secondary loot available that you wouldn't expect.
And sometimes great loot can drop without needing a Shadow Key:
index.php

After the looting, I've decided to return home and prepare blocks and potions for the Wall of Flesh. Things go pretty fast when you don't need to mine Hellstone. heheh...
index.php

It still feels so odd to face the Wall of Flesh, and Hardmode afterwards, with mediocre dungeon weapons and uncombined accessories.
I've decided to look for more Shadow Chests, and managed to find a Dark Lance and Fire Rod at least.
There were moments if I should back to grind for an armor set at least. (And after looking back, I think I should have).
But I had a good feeling that I was prepared enough for this. Buff potions shouldn't be underestimated when stacking them all together.

And after placing carefully the blocks and bombing away the tower obstacles, the moment has arrived:
One Guide, One chance:

Good job! Too bad you didn't seem to get any Beenades, I'm astounded by how effective those are at shredding WoF.

Also, the Honeyed Goggles. Probably the item I have the harshest love/hate relation with. In 1.2 I farmed 134 Queen Bees for it, only to realize that basically any type of wings are more practical. Though at your point in the game (and 1.3) it is immensely helpful of course :D

Looking forward to seeing you handle Hardmode!

So, you may have guessed why it took so long to update this playthrough again.

Well, I've noticed that I'll be missing out all the possible items that are crafted on a hardmode anvil. Which includes Wings, and wings has become an essential part of progression that one cannot live without them. Let alone hardmode without combined accessories or near-endgame events.

Which means that any point beyond hardmode is impossible, and this run has come to a definitive end.

...just kidding.
Next part of the story will be up tomorrow. :)

Because I had to deal with 2 deadlines, the progress of this has been stopped for a while.
Now that that's over, it's time for another update again:

Last part the Wall of Flesh has been defeated. A short break followed, because I've already reached a milestone.
But I've started to wonder how far I can get in hardmode. And see if it's possible to go without ores or anvil...and all other restrictions.

So, first a little check what all happens in hardmode:
- Corruption and Hallow spreading, and unable to buy or craft counters against them.
- Hardmode Bosses spawning after breaking an altar.
- Unable to mine, craft and use any of the hardmode ores.
- Unable to craft or buy wings.
- Stronger enemies that'll pierce through your weak armor.

But, it's at the same time also the dawn of a new era: Lot's and lot's of loot to drop!

So that's the main motivation, many of the hardmode weapons and accessories are dropped now, including bosses, so it gives a proper way to progress through.
However, before we're able to fight these bosses, we need to find stronger weapons first.
And in order to get stronger weapons from strong enemies, you need to get stronger weapons from weaker enemies instead.
Good thing that the Wall of Flesh dropped a Laser Rifle, it really helps me to get through the first stretch, untill the Mana runs out.

So the first goal is to get the item that's otherwise infamous for it's high droprate: The Amarok.
So I've decided to use the surface snow biome and hope to get one early:
upload_2019-4-2_20-36-6.png

As you can tell from the gravestones, it was not an easy time. The Laser Rifle can only hold for so long, and after that, all I've left to defend is the Dark Lance. Which isn't going to help against these Ice Elementals. (Their ranged deals ~85 damage each hit!)

After some time, a Frost Staff dropped, and later a Damaged Amarok.
Finally been able to use the first yoyo, it'll be much easier to hold off against the enemies. With this I managed to snatch a FrostBrand from the Ice Mimic too.

With these 3 Ice weapons, I've attempted to get around the hardmode world a little bit more.
By chance, I managed to find a Hallowed Mimic in the underground:
20190305224021_1.jpg

By accident, I've discovered a way to cheese it underground, as it was stuck jumping out there below without passing through blocks.
I've tried to keep cheesing it with the Amarok, but it was difficult to do in the underground where all other enemies are lurking as well.
Illuminant Bats, Giant Bats and Fungi Bulb spores have caught me off-guard and the cheese attempt has failed.

Regardless, I did got a Blessed Apple though, and I think that's much much better of a reward! As it's horizontal speed and double jump outmatches the Hermes Boots by a landslide! Really glad to have some upgraded movement again.

Some minor items have dropped as well: A Beam Sword, A Marrow and a Magic Quiver.
I'll however still stick with melee and magic for now, as there's only a limited amount of ammo available.
And because Ranged is the best class in DPS at distance, it's safe to say I'll spare them for boss fights, when neccesary:
20190305230241_1.jpg

Overall, it's not a bad start. Plenty of Boss Summon items have dropped as well, so I could summon them when the time comes.
Good thing that Hardmode Bosses don't spawn on their own untill an altar is broken down, and since I won't be using the hardmode ores, I don't have a need to.

The main concern is the amount of items I'm holding on. Hardmode is offering so much items and I'll also get only more to keep from now on. I'll have to make proper use of the 4 surface chests that are located nearby the spawns. And then keep up some proper item management until I reached the Golem.

Last edited:
After some time, a Frostbrand dropped, and later a Damaged Amarok.
Finally been able to use the first yoyo, it'll be much easier to hold off against the enemies. With this I managed to snatch a FrostBrand from the Ice Mimic too.
Is the first Frostbrand meant to be a Frost Staff?
Also, the Hoplite Statue is for farming the Gladiator set I guess?

Is the first Frostbrand meant to be a Frost Staff?
Also, the Hoplite Statue is for farming the Gladiator set I guess?
Indeed, thanks for pointing that out.

And yes, I guess I wanted to fill up the empty torso set with at least something of use.

The run has been almost on hold for a month untill this thread is up to date with the current progress. I really would like to continue, so here's the next part already :p

I'd like to believe that the Wall of Flesh was the only main issue that could end the run by an instant,
but there's another problem:
upload_2019-4-7_17-18-17.png

The corruption spawned inside the Jungle...I had hoped I could take the time, but with everytime I can progress, the available space to fight Plantera's only getting less.
So the Mechanical Bosses have to be defeated at all costs, and with some haste too.

Tactics are planned to aim for the Biome Mimics again, as they can hold some great weapons to take down the mechs.
Some tactics by a friend have been written down on paper to defeat the Destroyer using dirt pillars :v

loot13.jpg

So the hunt for greater loot has begun: Going underground to seek for Biome and normal mimics. And on the surface when it's raining, so the Nimbus Rod may drop.
Eventually, some common enemies may drop some rare loot too, but I can't make a proper farm, and don't want to waste the bombs for that.

Another Hallowed Mimic has been found nearby the same spot, so the same cheese method has been applied as well. This time it went down without too much interruption:
upload_2019-4-7_17-19-56.png

If it's only not for the Crystal Vile Shard...I'm not going to do much with just 20 magic damage...

Though, shortly after, I also found a new headgear, as if it was begging me to use the Vile Shard anyways:
unknown.png

It's kinda funny to have such a big variation of early game helmets to use. I see myself often switching between the Wizard Hat, Night Vision Helmet and the Viking Helm.

What's interesting is that the Biome Mimics drops Mana potions! So that way I'm able to use mana weapons for an extended period of time.
Though it'll still be somewhat limited like Ranged. It's at least renewable.

After returning to the surface, I've also remembered that the Pirates exist too. Which also hold some rare, yet useful weapons.
So while it was raining, I've headed towards the Ocean to start farming pirate maps.

Meanwhile, a King Slime spawned:
upload_2019-4-7_17-21-16.png

And got defeated:
upload_2019-4-7_17-21-38.png

Which is good, as it dropped a Slime hook, my first grapple tool!
Really great to have this kind of movement finally available, after hardmode :v

So I've tried farming for the Pirate Map, and also for the Nimbus Rod.
Sadly, neither of them dropped. and it's starting to take too long.

I started to wonder if I should smash an altar, so that Pirates can also spawn on their own.
But it's really doubtful as it will also enable the Mechanical Bosses.

To make things a little bit less risky, I've decided to build an arena with the remaining blocks spared from the Wall of Flesh fight:
unknown.png

It's one ugly mess, but I think it gives me enough confidence to work it out. I got the Unicorn mount to make great use of the flat surface.

And to end this chapter, the Seal of the mechanical Bosses have been broken:
upload_2019-4-7_17-29-40.png

Ironically, I decided to only break a single altar so it won't spawn any more ores I can't bomb through.
It's for what you call a "Blessing".

Last edited:
And part 8 is up, with lots of Jungle adventures:

The grind to Pirate Maps has started once again!
upload_2019-4-10_19-50-17.png

Minutes were passed, minutes that felt like hours.
In the meantime Strategies have been theorised to deal with the Pirates.
One example was to build a house on the beach, so an NPC can spawn there, so I can fight pirates while farming pirate maps.
But that's excluded as I want to avoid breaking the no-housing rule. (Which isn't part of the challenge, but just want to see if I can live without)
So instead, a little open shed has been made to place the banners:
upload_2019-4-10_19-50-54.png

An idea from MiltVala is to farm for Arapaimas, as Jungle enemies are always spawning at a higher rate.
This sounds like a good idea, if I only had mud blocks. So for that to work, I had to pay the price of my bomb stack and a section of the jungle.
At least it could help me to prevent some jungle corruption too.

So I went to the jungle to bomb some mud blocks. But then I saw something interesting:
unknown.png

A Corrupt Mimic! I guess this shows how corrupt the Jungle already is.

I've attempted to lure it all the way towards the arena, and from that point, I've decided to stay out of it's reach using the unicorn:
upload_2019-4-10_19-54-33.png

It's a very good way to check if the arena is ready for it, and with great success:
loot_Corrupt_mimic.PNG

A Dart Rifle dropped!
Finally my first gun that I can put into proper use. Because Cursed Darts are craftable by hand!

Time to reach towards the corrupted Jungle again, to bomb away mud and corruption, and ironically to stay in the corruption to farm some Cursed Flames.
It's such a cheap material to get quickly 100 stacks out of it. Really glad that I can finally put them into use.

In the meantime, I also found something else interesting:
unknown.png

A bomb statue! With this, my bomb supply becomes finally renewable!

From now on, I decided to go a little bit more reckless with my current stack of bombs. And have attempted to clean up some of the corruption.
We're saving nature by blowing it up :dryadgrin:
upload_2019-4-10_19-59-39.png

It was some hefty, but epic battle. I havn't had such a corruption battle since 1.1, the clentaminator has really saved things a lot.
Unfortunate, the effort is in vain, (Just like in 1.1) there's too much corruption and too less bombs to really clear it all out, so the best bet is to find a clean jungle and keep that safe against the corruption.

During the battle, something of interests has dropped too:
unknown.png

At long last, finally a helmet that's topping over all current helmets I'm using. With a whopping 5 defence. :v
Still gonna keep the Viking Helmet though, the looting theme fits pretty well with it.

After the long fight, I've decided to restock the bombs again by using my statue farm.
I've used the place wire from a dart trap to activate the statues.
With this, I could farm for both bombs and the Gladiator Armor.
(Gladiator Torso gives a whole 2 defence...wew)
upload_2019-4-10_19-58-18.png

In the meantime, the artifical Jungle was done, so I could farm for mobs with increased spawn rate.
...It's what you call a jungle though:
20190310213915_1.jpg

It was kinda funny that I'm both destroying and creating Jungles. At least I can always farm Jungle Enemies here when the Corruption gets too harsh.

Farming arapaimas was difficult, mostly just enough to keep up with one at a time, I still want to save the dart rifle as Cursed Flames aren't easy to obtain either.
The jungle started to grow bigger, Derplings, Angry Trappers and Tortoises wanted to join the pool party too. But I found a Diving Helmet shortly after, which helps me to only focus on the arapaima's. And after getting the Arapaima banner, it went much easier, and a Pirate Map dropped one after another.

With an inventory stuffed with all and everything, I think it was time to head of home...
upload_2019-4-10_20-2-16.png

....oh....

Last edited:
I have never used the Dart Rifle before, is it any good against the mechs? Also, will the mechs get videos like the WoF? I don't want you to spoil us, but still ;)

I have never used the Dart Rifle before, is it any good against the mechs? Also, will the mechs get videos like the WoF? I don't want you to spoil us, but still ;)
By that time I've barely used the Dart Rifle too. So I don't know. :p

I've attempted to record it. But since it was done in a rush. The video I got is not of a proper quality. It's something I have to consider to use it or not.

And part 8 is up, fighting Skeletron Prime and the Pirate Invasion:

"Do you wanna have a bad time?"

This is my pre-battle equipment so far:
Skeletron Prime Preparation.PNG

18 Defence, That is basically on-par with a set of Shadow Armor.

I've decided to save on the buff potions and Greater Healing potions, and decided to use this fight as a combat test to check if I'm ready for the mechs:
I didn't started recording at the beginning, as I thought it was only a combat test. But since the battle went better than I expected, I've decided to record it quickly mid-fight:

And as result...Skeletron Prime was defeated!
Skeletron Prime defeated.PNG

Weeeeew!

Wow...I have really underestimated the power of the Dart Rifle.
Guess it was because with the Dart Rifle's Cursed Darts, I was able to hit all parts at once.
And unlike most bosses, Skeletron becomes weaker nearing the end of the battle. That probably played a role too.

So, one mech down, two more to go. I feel motivated to try the other mechs again!

But first, I want to fight the pirates and get some of their loot:
Fighting Pirates.PNG

First fight was a good try to see how to deal with them. The Dart Rifle allows some great crowd control as it acts like a North Pole.
I was difficult to move around because my arena exist mostly of blocks I can't pass through. And I had to keep stunlocking the Pirate Captain constantly before it could bullet rain me.

Despite the Dart Rifle, it was still too difficult to keep surviving, the amounts of deaths were close to an average Pumpkin Moon difficulity.

However...there was something that I found more interesting than any of the weapons:

Golden_Chest.png

They...drop...CHESTS!!
This felt amazing! I can finally have a decent storage of all my items!
And it was even a common drop too, so this has become more of a focus than the weapons.

Good Dang...There's such a sweet relief to finally been able to empty all my pockets. I had decided to decorate my home cave a little bit:
Loot storage.PNG

I never would have thought that inventory storage became a part of progression. But it really helps keeping things ordered so I can prepare things faster for the next adventure.
A huge tedious limitation has lifted off my shoulders and I'm ready to progress deeper in this run!

Proceeds to farm more pirates just for more storage

And with this, the thread is finally up to date with the current progress. And I can finally continue the story while applying feedback right away. :D

Last edited:
Good job! I'd say you're lucky Prime was the one to spawn first, as I think he's the easiest of the mechs, but... you don't really gain anything aside from Greater Healing Potions. But at least now Life Fruits will start growing.
Do the projectiles of the Cursed Darts pierce? If so, could they be a substitude for Holy Arrows against the Destroyer?
I also completely forgot the Pirates could drop that... I usually just sell all of the dropped furniture immediatly :D
Looking forward to seeing you beat the rest of the mechs, Twins especially.

And part 9 is up, after a long break just to keep updating this thread. :)

It was a huge relief to keep all my items in the chests.
After ordering them, I started to wonder where to go next...I havn't been doing this run for a month.
So my mind went a bit blank, am I already ready for the other mech bosses, or was I just lucky with Skeletron Prime?

Without knowing which is the next step, I've decided to grind some more Pirate Maps instead.
At least one Mech boss is down, so all things that had that requirement has been released.
20190414204918_1.jpg

Despite I got already a Cutlass, I still preferred the Frostbrand over it. It's projectile is really decent. And I found a setup that allowed me to fire projectiles underwhater while dealing with the surface enemies overhead.

And after some time, a Yelets
Yelets.png
dropped. That's one of the benefits for defeating one Mech. :)

And while I was close by, I've visited the jungle to restock the Cursed Darts again.
It appears that you can handcraft the Stingers into Poison Darts too, so that adds to the ammo.

If I had a little bit of luck, I might be able to get the other ancient armor pieces too.
I was foolish to already enable hardmode before I had a full set, as only pre-hardmode enemies are dropping ancient armor.
So it's either gonna be a long run, or I'll save time and have to go without the full set. And with the corruption spreading, I think I'll rather prefer the latter.

Thankfully, not only bad luck appeared in the Jungle:
upload_2019-4-16_20-31-1.png

Amazing, the Magic Dagger in it's best form!
Remembering back from the Throwable Playthough, the Magic Dagger has carried me for a long time. So it's good to see I can see an use for it again. :D

And after a long farm, the
Nimbus_Rod.png
Nimbus Rod finally dropped too! I'm starting to feel set for the next mech bosses soon.

And to see if I can get the
Pirate_Staff.png
Pirate Staff, I've decided to use up the other Pirate Invasions.
And, well, I got a Pirate Staff, but I also got something else...
Coin Gun.PNG

...Hoooooly shiiiiiit...

I never expected to see this happening in a playthrough like this one. (This is my second Coin Gun ever...)
Well, I'm glad to see I finally got a machinegun with replenishable ammo. I also never expected I would get a rare item and can use it while progressing.

But...I don't know, seeing how rare this weapon is, it almost feels like cheating, isn't it? It would come over that you have to farm for a legendary weapon in order to progress. So I'll probably try progressing without needing it. And see if there are other alternates.

After a Werewolf night was over and obtaining the
Moon_Charm.png
Werewolf Charm, I've decided to leave it here.

20190414232948_1.jpg

No boss-slaying episode for now, just a slow progression into getting slightly stronger.
Looking forward to fight the next mech bosses though. :)

Last edited:
Hey, my suggestion with the Coin Gun is actually a thing now! :D Also nice to see that Gold Ring, that will probably help with making it usable longer.

Hey, my suggestion with the Coin Gun is actually a thing now! :D Also nice to see that Gold Ring, that will probably help with making it usable longer.
Heh, it really is.

...how did you foresaw this coming? o_O

I'll probably play around with it now that I have the chance to, it would also be a waste to not use it at all. ;)

Back
Top Bottom