Video The pure loot playthrough

And part 12 is up, seeking for a decent piercing weapons and doing an attempt against the Destroyer at the end.

So, with two mech bosses down, all that's left is the Destroyer.

There was quite an amount of doubt against him, as with the huge laser spam and my weak armor. I was afraid that it's going to be a pretty difficult one.
So I had thoughts to get a decent piercing weapon, I assumed the flame droppings from the cursed darts didn't pierce, so I had to look for a different one.
I already had a Nimbus Rod ready, but I don't want to rely entirely on that.

My classic preference is a bow with Jester's Arrows against the Destroyer. So I think once I have that, I would make a decent chance.
However, I realised something, why does all these looted bows convert
ALL types of arrows?!
Marrow.png
Ice_Bow.png
Shadowflame_Bow.png

Well then...this leaves me little options for bows through the start of hardmode, so I've decided to find the Hellwing Bow again, as it only convert wooden arrows, and even into piercing bats.

Though, I forgot that the underworld has gotten quite dangerous after defeating one mech:
upload_2019-5-2_20-58-48.png

Oof...this has been quite a path with some downfalls, at least I did found a pretty spot to farm the whole underworld, if they only dropped something of use though.
I'll just make use of the Hallowed connection with it. Because it totally makes sense that they're dropping souls of light.

With the Unicorn I managed to escape them sometimes before they could catch up. I can't thank the mount more than enough.
There were also some other obstacles that I had to get through in some creative way:
upload_2019-5-2_21-9-56.png

Commonly crafted accessories would have otherwise been the easiest aquired, sadly that's not gonna happen in something like this.

After some time, I finally managed to get one...only to discover they'll do 20 damage each hit.
I think even with Jesters arrows, it would be too much of a waste to spend them through this bow, but I guess it could be worth the try nonetheless:
upload_2019-5-2_21-11-31.png

Sometime later, a Medusa statue was found, coincidentally, in a Marble Biome.
And I thought "Medusa = Medusa Head = Destroyer of Worms"
so I could use the statue back at my statue farm to get the head while I can also restock my bombs:
upload_2019-5-2_21-18-4.png

But since Medusa's drops are reduced from statues, time passes...a lot...
Bomb farm.gif

After I've gotten tired of it, I've decided to look up the chances.
Medusa's drops are suprisingly reduced to 1/20, and the drops already are 1%, this would make the chance only 1/2000...
dat counter.png

...yeah, while this goes fast, I don't think this was worth the time hopping over and over again.
Suprisingly, I did got a
Pocket_Mirror.png
Pocket Mirror out of it pretty early, so that have helped me to make the farming much easier.

Another attempt was made in the underground Hallow, where Medusa spawns naturally, which was neat for some variation and to get some Hallow drops instead,
funny enough, this was also in the same area where I found the Medusa statue:
Medusa Farm.png

It was a decent farm, but not enough to get the Medusa Head quickly, so after another amount of time passes, I've gotten tired here too and returned home.

Night was coming once again, so to end the day with a bit of excitement, I've decided to give it a go with what I got:

So, as it turns out, the Cursed Darts flame droppings did pierce after all!
I should honestly stop searching for other weapons and main the Dart Rifle for as long as I can.

Last edited:
And it's time to upload part 13, to explain the long grinding session:

So, with all mech bosses down, the hardmode Jungle is ahead.
At first thought I thought that this was going to be an easy session, because I can skip the whole Chlorophyte mining part. (Not really that that's a good thing...I'll probably be fine...)
But I forgot about something: There's only 1 Bulb in the early time after defeating Mechs. And it takes time to find more.

So I've been spending quite some time to find some bulbs, in the meantime I could also farm for either Jungle or Corruption loot as both are pretty close by. It would help getting either sets of Ancient Armors. So maybe the Corruption spreading through may not be all that bad.

The search went slow, really slow. Especially with my only mining tool been bombs, I had to save them up to get around the Jungle, because when they're emptied, I had to go through the long grind at the Bomb Statue again to get a decent stack again.
At least thanks to the Bomb Statue, I'm able to have my bombs renewable. And I start to wonder if this statue doesn't become too essential to manage through the Jungle well.
In that case, it's quite a blessing that I was able to find one. Even though it's pretty slow, it's still better than having no bombs at all.

So far the Jungle exploration has been done well, I managed to get some
Life_Fruit.png
Life Fruit and the
Ancient_Cobalt_Leggings.png
Ancient Cobalt Leggings.
Though, after putting on the Leggings, I havn't noticed that my Character felt so heavy...I've gotten too used to the featherfall effect that I can't live without them. Unless I manage to get some wings somehow.

So, the first session ended, and no bulb has been found yet.
I'm able to cycle all around the Lihzahrd temple by now, so I find that I've explored a big amount of the Jungle already:
equipment bulb search.png

Second Session:
A bulb has finally been found! I've decided to do a test fight for this one to see how much I felt ready.
There's little room between post-mech and pre-plantera to improve if there's no Chlorophyte available, so I basically have to fight Plantera with the same gear available as before mechs:

As I could have expected, I didn't won. But I am suprised that I almost got her health at half already.
So improvements had to be made. Since the bulb has been scattered, I either had to find another, or wait untill more will spawn.

I've noticed that one of the Post-Plantera events will make the pre-hardmode gear in the Dungeon harder available, so I've decided to go to the dungeon again to grind for my one and only bit of ranged armor:
necro helmet.png

Ancient_Necro_Helmet.png
That's 5 defence and 5% Ranged damage, boys.
It's something...
But it's powering up my Dart Rifle with a small amount of 2 damage, so any boost can be helpful.

And at the end of the day, the last bit of Jungle Armor dropped too:
unknown.png

Quite amazing how I got this drop, a beehive and a boulder falled down at the same time.
From the beehive spawned a normal Hornet, that instantly got squashed against the rolling Builder.
And then the last armor piece I needed dropped.

Amazing. :v

So that means I've now 3 more defence (over the long lasted Gladiator Torso),
and the ability to activate the Set bonus, a possibility to use magic items rises.

You could possibly get wings from the solar eclipse (they drop from Mothron)
They do?

upload_2019-5-7_20-3-1.png

Oh wow, that's indeed possible. That sounds very interesting,
I'm not sure how well it'll go though, Mothron can be quite difficult to be dealt alone. But I like to see the possibility. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Since you've defeated the Mechs you could now get a Death Sickle and a Moon Stone from a Solar Eclipse. I'm not 100% sure how useful the Death Sickle would be, but the Moon Stone is better than the Moon Charm in pretty much every regard according to the wiki. If you don't want to wait for an Eclipse you could hoik into the Temple and try to get a Solar Tablet.

Since you've defeated the Mechs you could now get a Death Sickle and a Moon Stone from a Solar Eclipse. I'm not 100% sure how useful the Death Sickle would be, but the Moon Stone is better than the Moon Charm in pretty much every regard according to the wiki. If you don't want to wait for an Eclipse you could hoik into the Temple and try to get a Solar Tablet.
The Death Sickle will be an excellent weapon until around Lunatic Cultist. The weapon has high DPS, it pierces, and it goes through walls. It works wonders for almost any situation in its tier; I'd say it would be a must for this type of playthrough.

Personally I prefer to save up the Solar Tablets in the Lihzahrd untill the Solar Eclipse is at it's final tier, so also the most drops will be available.
Otherwise I've to rely on the randomized Eclipses. Because the Solar Tablets can't be crafted by hand, sadly.

Certainely will try going for the Moon Stone or Death Sickle when it happens to get a randomized Eclipse in time.

And part 13,5 is up,
Keeping it the same part, because it's also pretty much the same thing. <.<

Gotta be honest, this is one of the most mixed builds I've ever worn:
mixed build.png
Seriously, what is this?

Anyways, while I've tried to save the Jungle from the corruption, I actually didn't noticed how much of the surface got affected with it.
I...I have never noticed that because the center point was still pure, and I was unicorn flying over all of it untill I've reached the Jungle.
The center point and snow biome is all what remains of the pure surface:
rip surface.png

Unfortunate, there's nothing I can do about it, been unable to buy the Clentaminator or craft Holy Water leaves me just to watch let it happen.
At least the Hallow is in the Snow biome, so it might protect the center biome too, if swarms of Gastropods is what you call protecting...

Oh well, at the positive side, more Corruption means more chances to get Ancient Shadow Armor.

So, with the whole world slowly turning corrupt, there's not much I can do about the Jungle except beating Plantera before the jungle becomes too small.
I've started to realise that Plantera might be the biggest Climax of this playthrough, because it's the last possibility where a run could fail if there's too much corruption. Hopefully I'll be able to get through their second form...as that still remains in doubts.

In order to stay safe in the Jungle, a Cabin has turned into a personal fortress to stay safe.
This one is close to the edge of the Corrupted Jungle, to keep track of it's spreading and to farm for both biomes at the same time.
jungle fortress 1.png

And another Cabin Fortress that's close to the open area where I fought Plantera the first time, looking at the map, this might probably be the best spot:
jungle fortress 2.png

Sadly I'm not able to clean up the mess unless I've to use bombs for it.
Please don't use bombs when you have to clean your own room.

After some time grinding through the Jungle, and jumping one way to the other to get more bombs, something interesting dropped:
unknown.png

A jungle key! I think these Dungeon Chest Weapons can help me out in the Endgame too.

Good thing that they key was dropped, imagine that you had to earn a mold instead.
...Except that wouldn't be a problem either, because they're crafted by hand. The more you know.

Plantera%27s_Bulb.gif
Meanwhile a Plantera bulb was found, I've tried to trigger a fight again and lure it to the arena, but it appears that the Plantera didn't spawned...
It seems that Plantera will only spawn if the bulb was destroyed without going off-screen. I thought I could make a head start while I was using a bomb.
It's a bummer, but something to learn from next time.

Sometime later, another bulb was found, though it's a long trip away from the Arena, while also going through the Corruption, so I had to make some route strategies:
bombing route.png (With red been the current route, and Blue been the shortest route if I've to use bombs to create them)
I've decided to use the bombs to get quicker through the jungle.
I've also made up the open area into an arena, so it'll be easier to move around the next time.
Capture 2019-05-01 20_37_49.png

Everything planned up and well, and ready to give Plantera another try.

...And then she despawned...

like...while one of her hooks was on screen, it just blatantly explodes:
tentacle break.gif

Well...guess I didn't really had my day then. The find for a fight for Plantera will remain a mystery...

I'll probably try to speed up the progress a bit, so hopefully updates will be a little faster than once a week.

And Part 14 is up, fighting the first Solar Eclipse:

It's kind of funny that through all the grind for dropped items, I've basically an Ankh Charm already:
Ankh Charm Chest.png

If I only could combine them though...
(And yes, 3 pocket mirrors while still no Medusa Head has dropped.)

I think at this moment, it's better to give the jungle some time to spawn more bulbs.
So while I was waiting for them, I've decided to pick up some other farms in the meantime.

The most notable one was the underground hallowed Ice biome, where I could farm for either Keys, a FrostBrand with better prefix, or a Frozen Turtle Shell.
ice biom farm.png
This has been going since part 13 too. though untill now, something of interests have dropped:
unknown.png

Awesome, finally the
Frozen_Turtle_Shell.png
Frozen Turtle Shell!
This is probably going to be one of the more important accessories to have, as percentage damage reduction should amplify when having less defence. (A hit of 100 would absorb 25 damage, where a hit of 50 would just be ~12,5 absorbed. if I got the damage calculation right)
Sadly that it's arcane though, but I can live with that.

I wanted to continue the Ice Biome grind for a bit, untill something interesting happened:
unknown.png

Solar Eclipse, oh boy.

Solar Eclipse.PNG
This was the first time I actually had to struggle while using the Dart Rifle, but after I've discovered which enemies where the most important to take down first, it started to get a little easier.

Certainely, Vampires were the most annoying, they're so fast that you can't outrun them, and they'll just fly after you when you finally manage.
Because all Mechs have been beaten, Mothron started to spawn too:
Mothron fight.PNG

The fight wasn't easy, along with the vampires swarming around, but I was glad to see that I'm able to take down Mothron with my current gear.
Sadly, the Eclipse dropped nothing of interests, so it has only been a test of survival for me.

So...I could leave it here for today, but the grind has been long enough, let's do the next part as well!

After I've convinced myself that the map will update when Plantera's Bulb spawned, I've decided to put my trust on that.
And it worked, it looks like Plantera's Bulb spawns right next to the arena, that's perfect!
Bulb ideal.PNG
...Almost too perfect, I havn't fought Plantera yet with my new gear to test my strength. so I've decided to leave that one there untill I know I'm strong enough.
Some time later, I've decided to use bombs to get past that mushroom biome I didn't saw the need to cross. I mean, how big is the chance that out of the entire area, that the bulb will spawn there?
mushroom bulb.png

...Big enough, appearantly.

So, I've decided to put my chances on Plantera with this bulb.
Maxing out everything, even using Featherfall potions so I could use the Ancient Cobalt Leggings instead. But saving on the other buffs.

The fight went really well, I almost got her too! But I went too cocky at the end, and didn't survived at the last bit remaining:
upload_2019-5-15_20-37-37.png

It was...really frustrating, to be so close...

But, now I know I'm strong enough to beat her down!
So without much hestitation, I went back to the Jungle, prepared for everything again, removed the platforms on the edge to move around quicker,
and then broke the 'perfect' bulb for a rematch:

...and then I died again...

But the fight also felt, different from last time, it's like Plantera had prepared a trick to spam Spike Balls everywhere so I didn't had any place to go:
Spike Balls everywhere.png

And so the perfect bulb was wasted...

But...I know now that the Spike Balls were a main problem.
So the Lava Bridge has been bombed up, even sacrificing a part of my cabin fortress a little bit...:(

Shortly after the Bridge has turned into platforms, I've discovered another bulb, another chance:

Nice job, glad to see your grinding paid off!
The Pygmy Staff is pretty a nice drop, the Grenade Launcher probably has too little ammo to be used effectively for long, though. But now the path for stronger and (probably) easier to obtain equipment is clear. Mothron Wings, Nail Gun, Magnet Sphere, Piranha Gun, Paladin's Hammer, Wisp in a Bottle and Inferno Fork, just to name a few personal favourites.
And after that the ininitely less threatening Golem, which will hopefully finally give you a pickaxe :D

And the next part is up,
Sorry that it took longer than expected, as it was...really shameful to get this one up. <.<

It's time to enter the Temple:
Lihzard 1.png

It wasn't an easy area to pass through, as traps like Spear Traps deal over 100 damage, and I was unable to dismantle the traps unless I've to spend bombs for that. And I rather wanted to save a Statue grind session again.

So things had to be done slow and carefully, Thankfully the Glowsticks, torches, blocks and Djinn's Curse helped me with it.
Though, it seems that the Lihzarhd wanted to prevent cheesing around:
Lihzard 2.png

Guess I'll have to use bombs here then.

The enemies themselves were not much of a thread, at least not for the Dart Rifle and Nimbus Rod.
So as safe as I was for the traps, so was I also for the enemies:
Lihzard 3.png

And in some cases, just a single mud block does enough:
Lihzard 4.png

Nerf mud blocks.

Sadly, I've noticed that crafting Solar Tablets requires a Mythril Anvil, and I only found one Solar Tablet in the temple.
So summoning the Eclipse is not as renewable as I thought to be. I guess I shouldn't rely on Mothron Wings too much.

Eventually, the Golem Arena was eventually reached.
As usual I've made the arena as flat as possible to cover all the pressure plates and unflat surface. (Why does the Lihzahrd construct it like that? must have been collapsed partially)

Normally, if I'm able to beat Plantera, then Golem is going to fall without a doubt.
But I have a preference to fight it without cheesing methods like platforms, as Golem is already easy enough.

An attempt against the Golem was made using the Dart Gun.
But I noticed that shooting overhead will also damage the head, which caused him to shoot lasers earlier than intended.
And I died...

It's noticeable that I need a more focussed weapon for this fight, thankfully I got a Jungle Key, so I decided to visit the Dungeon to find the Jungle Chest.

The Dart Rifle knows their limits in the Hardmode Dungeon, so I better hope to gain better weapons soon.
I've decided to search up the Jungle Chest on the map before entering, that way I could already make the route to the chest.

2 tries later, I eventually got it:
unknown.png

Quite a worthless prefix, but it'll do it's job. And it certainely does against these teleporting mages!
I could spend my time in the Dungeon to gain some items, but it won't be enough with just the Piranha Gun, so I decided to take down Golem first, and then farm in the Dungeon.

So, another attempt against the Golem was made, this time using the Piranha gun.
..and I died again...

Somehow, Medusa manages to spawn inside the temple, so I even have to worry about more than I thought.
upload_2019-5-27_20-42-1.png

Good dang, been Stunlocked by Medusa while getting hit by Golem's Arms is horrible.
Another attempt have been made while attempting to ignore Medusa, even sacrificing an Accessory slot just for the Pocket Mirror.
But once again I wasn't able to survive it, but at least managed to get it in it's second stage.
I think I'm underestimating Golem a lot. I never had to be properly prepared for a Golem fight before.

Not to forget that I actually have to walk the whole path through the temple again by every death. >.>

Attempt #4: Still no success, it's not like I'm not trying to:

It's actually starting to frustrate me. One of the Easiest bosses in the game is just blocking me to progress...out of everything that I've done in this run.
I guess i'm underestimating him a lot, but if I'm not able to beat Golem in this no-cheesing state, then how can I even stand up against the Celestials?

Endgame is starting to worry me...actually, this boss is starting to worry me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom