Video The pure loot playthrough

Time to get the updates a little faster this time around.

So, with the reforges and a new armor, I should be ready for a new try against Moon Lord.
But at least, I want to prepare for the most required, most useful, and most rare item to obtain: The Rod of Discord
1571160723122.png

Thus, my previous Medusa Farm has been improved to grind for hallowed enemies as well:
1571158486299.png

Though, I think there can be some improvements here and there...
bats.gif

So slowly, the farm was altered and improved slightly while I was also fending off Chaos Elementals.
At one point, a Solar Eclipse happened again, so I hoped for another chance.

And that chance happened:
1571158635760.png

And it happened another time!
1571158649918.png

2 Mothron Wings right after each other, that's awesome!!

Though, to be fair, after the Djinn's Curse, I really didn't missed out on the Wings anymore. And both have their good and bad uses.
I even started to compare both of the flight accessoires, which still makes them doubtful to use for the ideal situation.
1571158709524.png

Maybe at the end, I'm still going for the Cosmic Car Key, which kinda makes both accessoires irrelavant. Lol

Still short in quite some buff potions, I hoped that the standard ones were renewable from slimes, but it appears that the only combat buff that slimes drops are the Ironskin Potion. Which leaves me with only one Lifeforce, and one Regeneration. Perhaps in that case I can better try to not rely on the non-renewable buffs at all.
1571158689123.png

Perhaps I should give the Celestials another shot with the current gear, with new armor, weapons and reforges, It'll probably make the event easier to handle.

Last edited:
And another grinding session is up:

Before I'm going to spend another 3 hours on sitting in the underground hallow, I wanted to try my chances first against Moon Lord again:

In short: I died.

However, I've at least managed to get one of his hands at half health, So perhaps I'm already set for damage, as long as I can stay alive.
1571395481944.png

One of the biggest damage dealers were of course the Big Beam of Destruction. I could attempt to get around the eye to avoid it, but that's a pretty tight window:

laser hit.gif

So with other words, I'll need the Rod of Discord, and thus the grind continuous.
I've decided to make a new farm away from the Marble Biome, perhaps that way more hallowed enemies will spawn.
The hallow biome was a decent farm though, and this took a long while to set up without having enemies to spawn elsewhere.
The farm was slowly improving while I was waiting:
1571395601263.png

And some ridiculous luck happened:
1571395618216.png

Eventually, it start becoming to bore me so I've been trying again to set an autofarm, using the Star Cloak and Beehive.
(I even went picking up my 3DS again because Steam doesn't allow me to play other Steam games while Terraria is running.)
1571395692757.png

Too bad, the autofarm didn't worked, because I learned that the dropped coins counts as an item too for the max item drop count, and already have seen a Magic Quiver and Beam Sword despawning. So I either had to work for a lava trap (without buckets!) or have to keep paying attention at the screen.

Thankfully, at the moment I was still busy deciding, the grind was already over:
1571395720271.png

1571396640769.png
AWW YEAHHH!!!

This was the first and, hopefully, the last time I've had to make a dedicated RoD farm for a single playthrough. Because man, this was not fun to do...

1571395732103.png

1571395739443.png

I think I should consider myself lucky that the RoD dropped just over the average amount of 500, it could've also been twice or thrice as much.

Too bad that most of my grind chests that's stuffed with loot kinda just stays there. never going to be picked up again.
It's not that relevant to pick up since I'll usually start a new playthrough anyways:
1571395750995.png

Last edited:
And so, the fight for Moon Lord's defeat has begun, with falling and rising up:

A new day, a new attempt.

I formerly said that it would've taken too long to get all the extra rare items just for the final boss, and now I'm bulking with full Shadow Armor, the Scourge of the Corruptor, Mothron's Wings and even the Rod of Discord.

Along with all the Dungeon Chest weapons and the Coin Gun to an extend. The possibilities in equipment have now pretty much maxed out:
Moon lord lets go.PNG

And now it's finally time to test my chances and face the Moon Lord.

As for the situation of the Celestials, I still had to be aware of the enemies, but overall the fight went easier without any deaths. it really helped that I only have to fight them on the edges of their territory.
I've also decided to place down 'banner camps' nearby the Pillar region's edges, and further duplicates remain in the box.
Perhaps it's also the banners that helps me a lot to make the Celestials easier:

Banner camp.PNG

So the Celesials have become less of a problem, the only problem I however have is that I've to go through them everytime when I try to face Moon Lord.
And oof...Even with the Rod of Discord, making a mistake still hurts a ton.
Oh boy, time to spend another 20 minutes to fight Celestials...
1571853840601.png
1571854563514.png

It's clear that even with the best chances available, I can't keep it up without the Nurse. So I've decided to break the no-housing rule and decided to make housings with the stuff available.

Some rooms like the Skyward chambers were already directly available by just placing down a torch, free widespace bungalows with a great view on everything!
I could use the Golden Furniture I got from the Pirates as furniture, and the Wooden walls were obtained from the cabins generated underground, they look pretty clean without:
1571858163655.png

I wanted to keep the NPC's found nearby their own cabin though, I think they've found a pretty neat spot by then:
1571858150887.png

1571859176843.png

Eventually, the Nurse moved in as well, and been the savior of this playthrough, I've decided to give her a little prettier house, with the stuff I had:
Nurse house.PNG

With everything set up, I've decided to take my chances again:

1571854651939.png
1571855696690.png

...:sigh:

Who would've thought, the Nurse is not giving you a free ticket to victory.
I've also been juggling with strategies for a while too, from staying in one spot with dirt ceiling, to swinging around with the anti gravity hook, to jumping far and fast as possible with the unicorn plane.
I think the UFO mount is likely the safest choice, since I don't have to worry about jumping height, falling down and can dodge in any direction.
I still need more practise with both the UFO mount and Influx Waver though, as I've barely used any of them in my Terraria Playthroughs.

But, this playthrough is mentally getting too much...

For each Moon Lord try, I've to go through all Celestials again, spending around 20-25 minutes, and then have to remember what I forgot last Moon Lord fight, then having to wait untill it's nighttime to become werewolf for the ideal moment.
I've already farmed for so long for every item and even have obtained every Biome Key twice already.
all these fragment and keys.PNG

Bosses are designed to be beaten, but if I'm limitating myself to this rate, I'm not even sure what the chances are myself.

It's somewhat stupid to break the major no-crafting rule at the very end. losing the 'pure loot' status.
But at this point, I just want to see if it's possible.
So just for this one exception:

1571859600768.png

5 direct bonus tries, let's go...

Last edited:

It has been done...
After having to endure the pressure for 20 minutes, Moon Lord has been defeated, and this run is completed.

I'm honestly suprised I've actually managed this run as whole, due to it's bizarre limitations, I've only set the run to see how far I could get.
But it was amazing, it's been a very unique playthrough that kept the difficulity at every section of the game.

There were parts that I disliked though, some of them been that the spawn was always on the starting point, and the long trips to get back to the jungle/dungeon without hermes boots. So perhaps I shouldn't have restricted myself to build housings.
The part that I disliked the most was actually that this whole run was basically based on the parts that I disliked the most: the RNG drops. :p
Of all the suggestions I've made or supported to make random drops craftable to reduce the grind. I actually had to grind basically every section of the game.
Perhaps this left me burnt out on Terraria by now. I'm not looking forward to do any of these grind sessions again in a different playthrough.

But I loved the moment of progressing, as every time, I felt uncertain if it was possible to manage. And then you're managing it.

Thanks for everyone that was following this playthrough, and see ya another time. :)

Congratulations. All that hard work paid off in the end, I've never beaten the Moon Lord with anything less than Shoormite armour :dryadcry: and I definitely would not have the patience to do this run, well done.

Now how about trying this again in Expert :dryadwink:

Alright... Now that I know this is possible, time to see if I can add a modified version of it's rules to the Nightmare Challenge... Let's just say NO one will be looking forward to when that... thing releases.

It's been 4 years since it started, lots of things have happened in between.

But since then, my brother and cousin, who recently went playing Terraria again, caught interest in this journey, and we've decided to do a new run again.

So, this time, I present you the

--- Pure Loot Playthrough: Season 2! ---

Cast:
- Steven "Red Dad Bread Beard"
- Gerben "George"
- Joran "Le Random"

-Rules:
The same default rules applies, which is:
- No starting items
- Not buying stuff from shops
- No crafting tables

Those original rules still apply, however, with the changes 1.4 makes, and the rules that were broken at the very end of the first run, I've discussed with Gerben on the ruleset for this run.
And thus, it results to this:
- Fishing is now possible thanks to the Can of Worms and Fiberglass Fishing Pole. It was weird for me to count fishing now, since it was not a thing in the previous run.
But since it's not part of the default rules, we've decided that it's allowed.
- Building houses and allowing NPC's to visit is also allowed, which also includes selling items to fuel the Goblin Tinkerer. It's also one that I was a bit sceptical about with the enticement to accidently buy stuff, but my brother can hold a promise for that. :)
- Due to new additions and balancing since 1.4 making the game overall a bit easier, making looting twice as easier, and due to Multiplayer scaling with Bosses. We had decided to amplify the difficulity up to Expert Mode. For the better or worse...

So it's basically the same run, but in a different version with different people and with the experience from the previous playthrough.
Since I'll be more busy in the multiplayer Sessions, I think I'll be posting more summaries of the progress rather than whole stories of every screenshot, but I hope it's still fun to watch.
Also, the bro's are a lot into memes, so I guess you can expect them too at the end of the session. :)
7pnvvj.jpg

Difficulity: Expert
Size: Medium
Evil: random (crimson)

I've decided to bring a sign from a previous world to write down the main rules as a reminder.
Joran couldn't begin yet, so Gerben and I started the session first.

Gerben went ahead and used the Guide to kill off the first slimes, and then had to think about the bizarre possibilities within the limitation.
(He already had a meltdown before the playthrough even began)
1687207497880.png

So, the playthrough day started off pretty normal. we both trashed our starting gear and dived into the caves with no lights, in the hope of finding a chest.
we quickly got killed by a slime in the pitch black, and by big surprise discovered that a Gravestone could break pots...yes, that was already a big deal.

Eventually we discovered some surface chests and some bombs, so we could explore through the Living Trees pretty quickly.
Some of the early weapons were the umbrella, Finch Staff and a spear. And went into the underground pretty quick to find more chests.
Yet...we also discovered that the Jungle is literally UNDERGROUND OUR SPAWN! That's gonna be fun to deal with...
20230614184729_1.jpg

Gerben was trying out the funny thing if it was possible to blow up a chest if it was empty, but unfortunately, that also still isn't possible (and probably never will)
Also, Gerben let the Guide Andrew die, because he dropped a hat that appearantly gave 2 defense.

During the caves, we tried utilising the Minecarts as a weapon to ride over slimes to save our brother in need. We also had to be aware to not get ourself stuck in funny sloped traps, where I need to spend a bomb to save him:
20230614184623_1.jpg

At the night, I also fought zombies to get a Zombie Arm and Shackles, but discovered quick that it's Expert Mode, and zombies can actually kill you.
So the spawn point turned rapidly into a graveyard...I forgot that was a thing in 1.4
20230614191154_1.jpg

It appears that we were at a valley with 2 hills inbetween, on the left hill starts the Jungle on the other side, but it also had a surface chest very close to the surface.
So we've decided to set up our little camp here and left it here for today:
20230615185128_1.jpg

And here's a screenshot of us sharing our Finch staff to fight Slimes off together while exploring, I thought that was a cute picture:
20230614190641_1.jpg

I try to keep them English, but my brother keeps them dutch for the more personal touch, maybe I could translate some of them :p
1687208064810.png

1687207889242.png

"We could bring this chest to our base!"
"...If we had a pickaxe"
1687207854827.png

...Welp, been too busy to remember to actually update the thread, whoops.

Well, while I've to wait for the next session, I might as well give it a quick update:

The next session continued with just us two, diving deeper into the jungle caves, but also sky high into the floating islands.
We've found some new items, and had some fun discoveries.

At one point, I've actually discovered that glowsticks can trigger red pressure plates,
so there was a mushroom biome with a very specific spot that was very tempting to throw a glowstick at, to spawn a hoplite.
1687886405436.png

Aaand this escalated quickly into multiple hoplites swarming, and we got trapped:
1687887149773.png

So it was pretty clear what happened next:
1687887183910.png

Gerben blocked that hole afterwards. :)

Afterwards, we've made some more non-boss progression, like blood moons, breaking crimson hearts, and I also managed to grab Fledging Wings from a chest.
Which quickly shows again how valuable raw items with multiple functions are (these wings are effectively a balloon, umbrella and lucky horsehoe in one)
1687886438607.png

However, we've both come to an agreement: Living without a pickaxe is a huuge pain.
To recap what it's like without a pickaxe:
- Every block placed has to be done carefully, a mistake means a bomb has to be used to remove it, or live with the error.
- You can't pick up empty chests, so all chest management has to be done from their generated positions.
- Limited Bomb management, you never know how much you're gonna need.
- Exploration is mostly just moving around the generated caves, making shortcuts felt like wasting bombs.
- We cannot remove the gravestones, so the graveyard will constantly persist, lowering our morale. (and removing it with a bomb, while our chances of dying are still high, is like putting a sticking plaster on a wooden leg)

The first pickaxe in my run was a Picksaw, and Gerben was not in a mood to go through these restrictions for 80% of the game, and tbh, I have to agree with him.
So, with the potentional of the buffed item droprate, we went looking for a decent spot to farm Undead Miners. And after looking for a while, we found far away a very conveniënt farming spot:
1687886478753.png

Lava everywhere! and enough surface to make the enemies spawn on the edges, so we've decided to set up our camp here.

...and then we wait...
1687886519788.png

This screen took like 2 hours, and we even got all mining equipment before getting the Bone Pickaxe.
At some point, we even just let the game run and took a pauze ourself, in good belief that the minions kept us safe.

There was also like...a moment where the Skeleton Merchant arrived, and since we couldn't even use the shop, his presense was basically just limiting enemy spawns at best.
So I also had to take...measurements to get rid of him without leaving:
1687888430046.png
1687888458049.png

...I felt a little guilty for it. At least he's already dead.

Eventually...at the end of the second hour, it finally dropped:

1687886538672.png

With us already been for so long without even a single pickaxe, Gerben already felt that massive relief of finally having one of our default equipment back.
It felt very similair to how I felt that relief when I got a picksaw, so I found it very entertaining to watch and decided to let Gerben keep the pickaxe first. I could handle been without for a while longer.

It did made me wonder if it was worth it going for the Bone Pickaxe on my first run though.
At one side the struggle was real, but at the other side, I'm also glad to have somehow managed that all without.

Gerben, who was inspired by watching Yrimir's Summoner Playthrough again, had decided to take the creativity on building again.
We still have our limitations on decorations and furniture, but I still think it came out pretty well:
1687886571965.png

And at the end of the day, our base started to take shape (My brother might have a little obsession with the pickaxe now)
1687886607521.png

1687888734207.png

"Throwing a single glowstick"
1687888796424.png

1687888820877.png

1687888700361.png

1687889788640.png

1687888709455.png

Also a Goblin Army was just about to appear when we closed our playthough, and we also heard that Joran will finally join the next session, so:
1687888901941.png

(reminder that he starts out naked)

Last edited:
Alright, time for another update round:

It was a sunday, where we could play Terraria for a whole day.
So naturally, we did.

Joran finally arrived! He had already cleaned his starting gear before he joined, so he jumped in right at a great start:
"Why is there a graveyard?"
"Why is there a goblin army?!"
"Why is the Jungle already starting here?!!"
"I can't mine for :red:!!!"

Eventually, after the Goblin Army was settled, we've decided to share some of our stuff with him, including my Fledling Wings.

We made a lot of progress, but weren't well prepared to fight a boss yet, so we went exploring the underground more.
I knew from experience that it was a bad idea to use the Starfury underneath a giant beehive, and I've called these places the "Starfury Restriction Zone".

So I went trying to get past such a zone, until I saw an annoying beetle that I really wanted to use the Starfury only once to deal with it.
And...right at that moment...

1688411926870.png

Queen Bee has summoned!

We were all spread out, so I paniced and in my flailing, I didn't had any chance of survival, and eventually died by the attack.
...however, the wrath of the Bee Queen is not satisfied yet, and it's now charging towards the depths to kill another member:
1688412074941.png

And from this point, Joran had a grandious idea, to keep ourself split up, and keep running away from our spawn when we respawn again, so then every one can chip away a little bit of health, and remain victorious at the end!

And so, the most bizarre Queen Bee fight had started:
1688412701857.png

Queen Bee, constantly in rage, and us constantly dying, but our persistence lived on!

Slowly but surely Queen Bee noticed that she gets cheezed hard, so to add to our struggles, she summoned a Goblin Army herself!
1688412756548.png

It was a looong...tedious fight, to avoid all goblin arrows, and make sure we keep enough distance to flee.
And because of our smart descisions, we had placed the NPC's around floating islands, which means the Goblin Army could spawn anywhere on the map, underneath the floating islands.
1688412846366.png

And in her dying breath, she also Summoned the Blood Moon to end the suffering:
1688413128608.png

In the end, I was so done with her, that I wanted to finish it with her head-on, with a Shield-of-Cthulhu Bash:
Queen Bee Kill.gif

....nailed it....
It has been a rough battle and escape plan each time, but it was sure an incredible experience.

Oh yeah, afterwards we also managed to defeat the EoC, BoC, Skeletron too, all thanks to the Nurse that we carried along. But the Queen Bee fight really takes the cake here.

Okay, yeah, since Queen Bee has basically become the highlight of the run so far, it has taken the memes by storm:
1688413481636.png

1688413489342.png

1688413499498.png

1688413564397.png

1688413584956.png

1688413618203.png

1688413639063.png

There were also some other memes, but I'll leave that for a next time. :p

Alright, time for another update round:

It was a sunday, where we could play Terraria for a whole day.
So naturally, we did.

Joran finally arrived! He had already cleaned his starting gear before he joined, so he jumped in right at a great start:
"Why is there a graveyard?"
"Why is there a goblin army?!"
"Why is the Jungle already starting here?!!"
"I can't mine for :red:!!!"

Eventually, after the Goblin Army was settled, we've decided to share some of our stuff with him, including my Fledling Wings.

We made a lot of progress, but weren't well prepared to fight a boss yet, so we went exploring the underground more.
I knew from experience that it was a bad idea to use the Starfury underneath a giant beehive, and I've called these places the "Starfury Restriction Zone".

So I went trying to get past such a zone, until I saw an annoying beetle that I really wanted to use the Starfury only once to deal with it.
And...right at that moment...

View attachment 411779
Queen Bee has summoned!

We were all spread out, so I paniced and in my flailing, I didn't had any chance of survival, and eventually died by the attack.
...however, the wrath of the Bee Queen is not satisfied yet, and it's now charging towards the depths to kill another member:
View attachment 411783
And from this point, Joran had a grandious idea, to keep ourself split up, and keep running away from our spawn when we respawn again, so then every one can chip away a little bit of health, and remain victorious at the end!

And so, the most bizarre Queen Bee fight had started:
View attachment 411784
Queen Bee, constantly in rage, and us constantly dying, but our persistence lived on!

Slowly but surely Queen Bee noticed that she gets cheezed hard, so to add to our struggles, she summoned a Goblin Army herself!
View attachment 411785

It was a looong...tedious fight, to avoid all goblin arrows, and make sure we keep enough distance to flee.
And because of our smart descisions, we had placed the NPC's around floating islands, which means the Goblin Army could spawn anywhere on the map, underneath the floating islands.
View attachment 411786

And in her dying breath, she also Summoned the Blood Moon to end the suffering:
View attachment 411787
In the end, I was so done with her, that I wanted to finish it with her head-on, with a Shield-of-Cthulhu Bash:View attachment 411788
....nailed it....
It has been a rough battle and escape plan each time, but it was sure an incredible experience.

Oh yeah, afterwards we also managed to defeat the EoC, BoC, Skeletron too, all thanks to the Nurse that we carried along. But the Queen Bee fight really takes the cake here.

Okay, yeah, since Queen Bee has basically become the highlight of the run so far, it has taken the memes by storm:
View attachment 411789

View attachment 411790

View attachment 411791

View attachment 411793

View attachment 411794

View attachment 411795

View attachment 411796

There were also some other memes, but I'll leave that for a next time. :p
Is the jungle specifically out for us Dutch people? Back in a master mode class run a bird killed me during the solar pillar. We were in the jungle.
But nice job on the queen bee kill, and Joran's questions were a perfect start to the chapter!

Back
Top Bottom