Sprites The River (Alternate Underworld)

This is a brilliant idea and really well constructed. I do have some suggestions for name replacements however.
-"The River" is a rather bland name and doesn't really refer to any sort of hellish dimension. I'd like to submit "The Styx" as some have mentioned before. Whilst it does grant immortality and may not be consistent with mythology it wouldn't be the first. Wyverns are depicted as snake like beings in Terraria but when speaking lore wise they are closer to serpents.
-"Aether" can refer to a lot of things and is a good name. I think it is clever but I think "Ambrosia" would be equally grand. In mythological terms the actuality is that it grants immortality in a similar manner to the river Styx. However many speculate that because it is the "nectar" of the gods (even if it may be known as a food in some instances) it will kill any mortal upon consumption due to their inferiority to the gods.

(This has been overkill w/Teal)

This is a brilliant idea and really well constructed. I do have some suggestions for name replacements however.
-"The River" is a rather bland name and doesn't really refer to any sort of hellish dimension. I'd like to submit "The Styx" as some have mentioned before. Whilst it does grant immortality and may not be consistent with mythology it wouldn't be the first. Wyverns are depicted as snake like beings in Terraria but when speaking lore wise they are closer to serpents.
-"Aether" can refer to a lot of things and is a good name. I think it is clever but I think "Ambrosia" would be equally grand. In mythological terms the actuality is that it grants immortality in a similar manner to the river Styx. However many speculate that because it is the "nectar" of the gods (even if it may be known as a food in some instances) it will kill any mortal upon consumption due to their inferiority to the gods.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm sticking with The River so as to remain vague on purpose. The River may seem bland, but given the tone of the environment it doubles as ominous.

ALSO, dat yung @Crowno like

First of all: WOW! This is amazing and very well thought out, and I love the color pallet too.

The great thing about this suggestion is that it wouldn't even have to be implemented as an alt. Underworld. The Underworld takes up as much horizontal space as the Overworld but it only has a single biome type for the entire span. There's plenty of room for variety, esp. on medium and large worlds.

As far as the Aether liquid goes, I've heard*** that Terraria's engine can only handle four liquid types, however that wouldn't necessarily be an implementation problem if Aether was just Lava that has been color shifted by the biome the same way that water now changes color by biome.

***[Note: I don't know if this is actually true about liquids in the game. I've heard it both ways and I don't want to spread misinformation, but it seems to be a commonly repeated statement.]

Also, Nethicite... I see what you did there.

The thing is though that the River Styx itself does not grant immortality. There are other things such as the Golden Apples that do grant immortality.

In most interpretations the Styx provides a "BLessing" in which one who "bathes" in its waters steel skin (basically you cannot be physically injured), however they themselves remain weak in ONE spot (in the case of Achilles, it was the heel his mother held him by, that was not submerged in the Styx).

The one thing that remains true however is that an oath sworn on the Styx is binding.

Additionally keep in mind that the Styx was only ONE of FIVE Underworld Rivers, but of the 5 the Syx is the most well-known due to the power of the binding oath....

Alright -- I've added a change log for the thread. I'll be spell-checking, editing, formatting, and tweaking things from here on out, so be sure to check the change log if you want to follow the changes to the suggestion.

Also, Nethicite... I see what you did there.
hw6UCLn.png
glad someone got it

This is good, you just forgot to mention what aether forms when in contact with lava and honey.

This is good, you just forgot to mention what aether forms when in contact with lava and honey.
Aether replaced all lava in a world... (I think) and yeah but it could just make "Mystified honeyed blocks" or something.

Aether replaced all lava in a world... (I think) and yeah but it could just make "Mystified honeyed blocks" or something.
It may replace everything, but that won't stop people like me from bringing in lava from other worlds.
To be honest, I'd like to see stuff explode when the two mix, but maybe creating other blocks would be easier and better for the game.

Hacked Brick:
Purple and Black tiled blocks. Crashes game when placed or when tooltip is viewed. Gone on next startup. Tooltip: "Dip:red:" Craftable.

Once again, its an OCD's dream suggestion
I must say, you Outdone yourself this time, tho the sprite of the Ferryman doesn't fit the spriting style of Terraria....

@Pirtz @Teal Aether replaces all Lava and functions the same (aside from causing Mortality instead of OnFire!). Aether would make Crispy Honey Blocks just as Lava would, but wouldn't mix with Lava -- since it's an equal.

Why Crispy it isn't really burning Is it?
Another word for crispy is brittle, it describes a texture more so than a method of attaining that texture. It is usually associated with food or "burning" but it doesn't have to be and isn't always. The Aether "ages" the honey, making it crispy/brittle. I could make "Brittle Honey Block", but I don't want to change something if I don't have to.

This is amazing.
While I don't see a point to making a alt to everything, this made me change my mind.
Nice job.

I don't think I have the words to properly describe how much I want this to be in the game. That is so awesome. I have a question though, what death messages will be unique to this? Falling into the aether seems like it would have an interesting message (as would being killed by the ferryman).

I don't think I have the words to properly describe how much I want this to be in the game. That is so awesome. I have a question though, what death messages will be unique to this? Falling into the aether seems like it would have an interesting message (as would being killed by the ferryman).
I'll think on death messages ^^

Also, you'll like the next change coming. Death Penalty is getting moved up to a Ferryman drop and Cerberus will be replacing it as a Shadow Chest weapon.

Back
Top Bottom