Resolved The save file ***.player was created with a newer version of terraria and could not be loaded.

Since you can move the files around, perhaps you could copy the .world file to a PC and take a look at it in a Hex Editor or something. If it's empty (e.g it just contains zeroes) then you'll know it's a lost cause. If not empty then it might be salvageable.

BTW the problem could be something stupid like wrong file permissions. Terraria may not be allowed to read the world file.

I set all the file permissions to match the other files in that folder so its not that im afraid. I have them on pc the files and they contain all the stuff, its just the app that recognizes them as being made in a newer version.

Heres my player save file:

Attachments

• TerrariaSaves.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Then I have no other suggestion except to double-check that Terraria owns those files and have full read/write permissions.
BTW Which File Browser are you using?

im using Solid Explorer wich cant place the files there anymore, everytime i try to copy my files to data/data/com.and.games505.TerrariaPaid i get this error: cp: cant stat mnt/shell/emulated/0/APK/crazyblabla.player no such file or directory. it used to work just fine on the previous android version. so i instaled one called root explorer and that one places the file there but the files dont show up on that explorer.

iu4MX4J.png

OXweauz.png

Last edited:
I haven't rooted my latest phones, but I seem to remember an app called Root File Browser. It worked well for me. I can't really help you I'm afraid as it's too long ago since I was into rooting phones. The only thing I can suggest is to check that UID and GID on those player and world files are the same as the Terraria executable.

EDIT
You can also try setting file permissions to -rw-rw-rw- (0666)

r4v1n6 asked some of the same questions I was going to ask when I got back to this, plus a few extras.

At least it seems like your data is still there, but some kind of file metadata is screwing things up. Sounds about right, since the OS update may have patched some previous bugs/security issues the last OS had, possibly making current rooting software glitch out. (or just an outright glitch in the new OS regardless of how it is rooted)

I get the feeling that the 'newer version, cannot open' message is a crude unhelpful catch-all error message for when something goes wrong; rather than a helpful debugging message for something specific.

Reason why I asked about file size was one person here (with a rooted phone) said when they got that message, their save files had a size of 0 KB (aka, blank, empty file). That of course didn't help with my worry about my own character file being recoverable.

The .bak files I was asking about was a hope that maybe the backup feature that I assume the PC version of Terraria has ported over to mobile (I know, I was assuming a lot). The game would of course work w/o them, since they are just backup copies that aren't normally read, but would help if the latest save files get corrupted.

I guess there are no back up files... ;(

With the cause for my error message being a glitch in the autosave (and no way to see what state the files are in on my side), and OP's cause being an OS update, the error message is appearing to be very unhelpful in regards to debugging anything.

Since you actually have access to files that can be uploaded, you could try submitting a report to 505 Games using the form that's mentioned here (Terraria Mobile Bugs & Issues Status)
Added edit, and feature test...
I know it is very hard to debug things, but it is still not a good excuse for letting such an issue persist for so dang long. If I was in a development team, and I got several reports about save files getting corrupted or become inaccessible, I'd have the team drop what they were doing and have all hands that are able to help on this issue working on it. If a fix can't be made fast, then a recovery system would be put in as a stopgap to minimize future damage while a real fix is being made. Nothing really kills the enjoyment of a game like this than to have save files become unusable for one reason or another, and wasn't the user's fault. All bets are off when users edit save files, but that's a different issue.

Woo Hoo! I guessed right on the tags! :happy:
Just had to vent, again; and didn't want to clutter up the post with more text. Plus I was wondering how and if this "spoiler" tag worked.

Last edited:
Yes, please do submit a report to 505. They if anyone might be able to help you, and perhaps at the same time figure out this bug.

Reactions: NOF
I just did that, but there wasnt any option to upload specific files, i attached a screenshot of the problem.

GUYS, I FIXED IT!!! I placed my .player and .world saved files inside the folder as usual (data/data/com.and.games505.TerrariaPaid/files) then i made a backup with an app called Titanium Backup (wich backups your apps and games on android), uninstalled Terraria, installed it again and then i restored just my data with Titanium and it worked, now terraria can read my save files again.

Thank god this worked, i missed all my OP weapons :D

Last edited:
GUYS, I FIXED IT!!! I placed my .player and .world saved files inside the folder as usual (data/data/com.and.games505.TerrariaPaid/files) then i made a backup with an app called Titanium Backup (wich backups your apps and games on android), uninstalled Terraria, installed it again and then i restored just my data with Titanium and it worked, now terraria can read my save files again.

Thank god this worked, i missed all my OP weapons :D
Nice :), guess it was some metadata thing in the OS after all. I wonder what was holding it up before.

Right, there is only a spot on the form to link (not even upload) pictures and videos, but if they needed to, they could email you and ask for files. They'd be asking for trouble if they allowed anyone to upload actually program files to their system.

I wish I had the option to do something like that, and back things up. :(

Awesome! :D

I too wonder what Ti Backup did that fixed the problem. Clearing the Dalvik cache? Could that be it?
If so it won't help anyone who hasn't a rooted phone.

It would have been so much simpler if CodeGlue had put the files in the /Documents folder instead...

Rooting is safe and beneficial, but only and only if you do it with proper knowledge otherwise it may brick your device. Most root methods these days are perfectly safe and easy to use, and if your problem is the warranty void, you can always revert back to no root if you want just by clicking a button.

Rooting is safe and beneficial, but only and only if you do it with proper knowledge otherwise it may brick your device. Most root methods these days are perfectly safe and easy to use, and if your problem is the warranty void, you can always revert back to no root if you want just by clicking a button.
Yeah, a person has to know what they are doing before "pulling out the safeties" and rooting a device. I don't particularly discourage it, especially for people that can make good use of it, but I do cringe at the picture of someone thinking rooting as a no-risk 'cheat mode' for their device, and then cries as they brick their device out of ignorance.

Also, 'unrooting' doesn't always 'unvoid' a warranty. If I'm understanding things correctly, doing something that would void a warranty, and then attempting to remove signs of a 'warranty voiding action', can easily be seen as fraud when trying to claim the warranty benefits and get found out.

It is doable to get warranty benefits after unrooting, but I just want people to understand what they are likely doing when reverted things back. It isn't like unscrambling an egg, but you are cracking into the shell of it, and can shake up a few things inside; and unrooting is like putting the shell back together like nothing happened, and pass it off as not being cracked into.

I just want people to be careful, that's all.

I just got the terra blade when this happened plus I can't download titanium backup help
[DOUBLEPOST=1457634271,1457634163][/DOUBLEPOST]It's soo gutting
[DOUBLEPOST=1457634434][/DOUBLEPOST]

Checked here on a whim to see what was happening, noticed there was an update quite awhile ago; just installed the update, and noticed my main character is still locked.

So, nothing new to report. I'll check in sometime between a week or two months.

Reactions: NOF
I have contacted 505 as well and nothing happens...anybody who knows how to get through and get this issue fixed?

Back
Top Bottom