Story The Scar

Should I continue writing this?

• Total voters
This is a story centered around two kingdoms : Arri, and sterrek. it is also the backstory for my terraria mod. This is the first story I have attempted to write, so any constructive criticism is welcome.

Long ago, there were two kingdoms, although they were separated by great distances, these two kingdoms Arri and Sterrek, were allies. the poeple of both Arri and Sterrek were fighters, peacekeepers, but mostly, they were explorers, seeking out new lands to populate and learn from. Our story starts with a Sterrek exploration party led by general Fhar.

I'm not sure how much longer my men can hold out, the food is nearly gone, if we can't find our way back to Sterrek soon, we're all dead. I've sent scouts in all directions, hopefully one will find something.
General Fhar woke with a start, something was happening in the camp. He was about to see what the commotion was when one of the forward scouts burst into his tent. "Sir! we found something, not Sterrek but possibly a village that can help us." Doubt was evident in the man's voice, and so the general asked. "Possibly? why? was the village abandoned like the others we've found?" "No sir! the people there seemed extremely hostile, but I didn't get close enough to tell." The scout seemed to be hoping for something, likely for Fhar to order an attack on the village to take the supplies they need, but Fhar wasn't ready to lose potential allies, and so he ordered ten of his men to suit up and follow him to the village.
As they neared the village they noticed that although the houses did show signs of life, they were all empty and rotting, as they moved further into the village, they noticed changes, the grass began to take on a sickly, purple color, the air began to smell of rotting flesh and there were no more houses. Suddenly they came upon multiple gaping pits, seemingly bottomless, at this sudden discovery, Fhar noticed many of his men shift nervously, and then three of them started screaming. The same three men, still screaming, pulled out their swords and began to swing at anyone nearby, their eyes were glazed and unfocused, and their strokes and swings were clumsy, as if they had never used a sword. Fhar drew his sword and walked towards them, however, before he could reach them hundreds of flying creatures appeared from the pits, and began to attack his men. "Fall back! we can't fight them, Run!" he shouted, but only two of his men remained, the others had been knocked to the ground and eaten alive by the giant, flying rotted corpses.

And so Fhar and his men ran hoping to get to the camp where the rest of the men were, but this new threat seemed unending, whenever they killed one of the creatures, another rose to take its place. finally they came to a clearing filled with dead men, Fhar and his three remaining soldiers approached cautiously, hoping to avoid waking these corpses should they be alive like the others, but as they inspected the bodies they recognized the faces of the men. It was their camp, corrupted by the same blight that had wiped out the village. "It spreads as well?!? Can we fight an enemy like this?" one of the soldiers asked "Not by ourselves we can't" Fhar answered "We need to get back to Sterrek." Suddenly they heard yelling, they turned to find one of the scouts running towards them "What happened here? I thought I had gotten lost on the way back to the camp" he yelled "That story can wait" Fhar stated "We need to know, did you find Sterrek?" The scout waited a moment, caught his breath, then simply stated "yes".

Orders issued from king Lindal of Sterrek: take eight hundred men and four hundred builders and scientists, have the scientists study this foe to see if we can control it, and have the builders make a wall to contain it.

And here we are now. Fhar thought trying to contain an enemy that can't be beaten. Fhar wasn't angry, he was afraid for his men, whose lives would be wasted protecting a wall that wouldn't be able to contain this enemy. Fhar was a strong, brave man, but even he had his limits, what he had seen in the corruption was enough to break any man. This threat should be eradicated, not contained and studied. He cursed under his breath, supposedly the scientists were making progress in finding a cure for the Corruption, but he knew that was a lie, they were trying to find a way to control it, not wipe it from existence. And so he and his men would continue to defend them, more of his soldiers dying every day, which seemed to create even eaters, he hoped the scientists would find a way to control this blight, if only so he could go home.

Nine weeks later.
"Haven't you found anything yet?" Fhar asked the lead researcher "Only two-hundred of my men remain, we can't defend this position for much longer, we need a cure, or a method of control, and we need it now." He was getting impatient, these researchers had cost him hundreds of lives and had turned up nothing for it. "We have found something, whether or not it will be useful is something we were about to test" The scientist said "well you better test it quickly, my regiment is pulling out of here tomorrow, whether you leave or not is up to you, but I'm not risking anymore lives to try and control this thing." "Very well, we will test our theory immediately."

Three years later, On a scouting mission in the caves of the corruption
Thorn was scared, she hadn't had much experience going into the cave systems that made up the corruption, but something seemed strange this time, for one it was deathly quiet, normally, those... things were loud, you could hear them climbing around inside the walls, combined with the deathly screams echoing around the place, every time she had gone down here it had noisy.
So why was it so quiet now?
"Maybe they're hibernating." Thorn jumped at the sound, the speaker was her scouting partner Rand, and while he was a good fighter, he was also paranoid, making him less than pleasant to work with. "Or maybe," he shrugged "Maybe they're in some sort of a cocoon, like a caterpillar, transforming into something else." Well, that was a disturbing thought, they barely had the corruption under control as it was. Thorn sighed "They just vacated this cave for some reason, maybe it was about to collapse on them." Rand was about to comment when they saw a red light ahead of them, oh great, something new, it was never good to find something strange in the corruption, at least, not for the scouts who found them, Thorn made a mental note to let Rand go ahead of her. The object was giant, and looked akin to a heart, the light it emitted pulsed, Thorn was about to take a closer look when Rand pulled out his warhammer and swung at the "heart".
His reaction was expected, they had orders to destroy anything strange they found, but still thorn felt that this wasn't a good idea. The hammer struck the heart and let out a dull ring, Thorn shivered, and Rand swung again. The second strike seemed to be louder, this time it cracked the outer shell of the heart.
And then the screams started.
"They're coming!" Thorn didn't want to break this thing, but they had to leave, and Rand wouldn't disobey orders. She pulled out her sword and started hacking at the heart, causing little damage, frantically Rand swung his hammer one last time.
Thorn saw the hammer hit the heart, saw a flash of light, and felt the burning heat.
Then, everything went black.

To be continued
Tell me what you think, do you like it? Do you hate it? Are you withholding judgement until the story is finished?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom