Blocks & Decoration The Arbitrary List Of Stuff

Hey everyone, what do you think? (Please answer honestly, since this is a private vote.)

• Ehhh, they're meh.

• Your suggestions suck.

• Kill yourself, you uncreative imbecile.

• Decent, but needs work.

• Your poll sucks.

• Praise be to Talos!

Results are only viewable after voting.

LonelyCesspool

Terrarian
First of all, I would like to thank the Re-Logic team for making such an engrossing game. I would also like to thank the community for backing the Re-Logic team. (All Blackbeards are welcome to walk the plank.) Now without further ado, here are my (well-intentioned) suggestions to (hopefully) improve upon the (already flawless) game. Or ignore me. That's okay too, I'm used to it. :'(

Please feel free to rename and alter any items at your discretion.

External Links will be underlined and enclosed within parentheses. (see: Wikipedia, Example) (I know that the Terraria Wiki is technically an external site)

I apologize for the formatting.

WOOD
Shadewood & Ebonwood make amazing fences. However, they are far too smooth when building various ancient / early-medieval buildings.
Log - - - Sideways, similar to Rich Mahogany, but has a rougher texture.
Palisade - - - Made up of sharpened, upright logs. Similar to Shadewood and Log. (the top block should be sharpened, while the block just underneath should be slightly sharpened with most of its wood carved off.)
Paling - - - Made up of sharpened, upright branches & twigs. Similar to Ebonwood. (only the top block should be sharpened.)
Driftwood/Fascine - - - (I believe that Brown Spooky Wood suffices well enough, but I'm leaving this open to possibility. However, I think the knotholes (of Spooky Wood) should be just a tad lighter, since they look like actual holes.)
(Possibly crafted at the Sawmill?) (They should also have their own wall variant.)

VEGETATION
Strange Plants/Dye Plants - - - While I do love them, they simply aren't enough to make up a convincing garden. Please, we need more flowers, shrubbery Ni! , and bushes.
Ivy - - - Placeable on blocks, similar to Actuators (transparent). (Falls when the block is mined, or trimmed with Pruning Shears/Secateurs/Loppers.)
Withered Ivy - - - Similar to Ivy, but withered.
Brambles/Thickets - - - Thorny plants would make an invaluable asset when building ruins.
Unkempt Hedge - - - Yes, I am aware that the Leaf Block exists. However, some variation would be nice. (appearance: similar to the Leaf Block, but with branches)
Thatch - - - Similar to Hay, but sideways. Harvested with the (Traditional/Wooden) Scythe. (please see: Wikipedia, Thatch Hut)
(Traditional/Wooden) Scythe - - - Functions similarly to the Sickle, but harvests Thatch. (please see: Wikipedia, Scythe)

Various Foodstuff blocks/furniture - - - I believe that this would be a most excellent addition, since it'll be able to improve upon a building's overall ambiance. Intended use: storehouses, dining halls, banquets, larders, pantries, root cellars, etc. Similar in appearance to Pumpkins and Coin Piles.
Bread, Jug, Corked/Wine Bottle, Cheese Wheel, & Grain/Flour/Spices/Herbs Sack
Suggested foods for hanging/suspending: onions, garlic bulbs, ginger roots, dried herb leaves, sausages, & various tubers
Suggested root vegetables for bagging: potatoes, turnips, carrots, beets, onions, squash, & cabbage
Dried Fish - - - Type: Furniture. Appearance: similar to Arapaima Banner. Placeable over a campfire (overlaps). (please see: Wikipedia, Drying_Fish)
Hanging Meat - - - [MAY BE GRAPHIC TO SOME VIEWERS] (see: Wikipedia, Meat_hanging_in_cooler_room) [MAY BE GRAPHIC TO SOME VIEWERS]

I believe the Pink and Blue Dungeon Vases could use a retexture to be more "neutral", similar to the Green Dungeon Vase.

Wheat/Grain - - - Type: decorative furniture item.
Tall Reeds - - - Type: decorative furniture item.
Cattail - - - Type: decorative furniture item.
Sedge - - - Type: decorative furniture item.
Papyrus - - - Type: decorative furniture item.
Sawgrass - - - Type: decorative furniture item.

Muddy/Swampy/Marshy Fountain - - - Type: Fountain. Appearance: brownish-greenish-blueish, murky water.
Rusted Fountain - - - Type: Fountain. Uses: for a mechanical area.
Foggy/Misty Monolith - - - Similar to the Monolith, but adds fog/mist. (Again, please feel free to rename it.)

hep me
Large Sideways Keg/Barrel - - - Similar to the Keg/Barrel, but larger. (possibly lacks a faucet and rack/stand?) They don't have to necessarily be alcoholic... ((((()
Large Keg/Barrel - - - Similar to the Large Sideways Keg, but facing the player. May lack a faucet, possibly with a stopper instead. (O)
Intended use: storage vessels in castles, ships, villas, butteries, cellars, trading-posts, etc.

Wine Rack/Bottle Rack - - - Similar to a Bookcase. Stores bottles facing the player. |O-O-O-O|
Bottle Rack/Side Rack - - - Similar to the Wine Rack, but holds bottles side-wards. [|||||)==l

Scroll Rack - - - Similar to a Bookcase.

Window Frame - - - For the exterior of houses, placeable over a wall. Possibly produces a warm glow during the night. Or maybe instead...
Glowing Paint - - - Produces a warm glow. (For Window Frames!)

(Door Type) Background Door - - - Functions similarly to the Teleporter. Appearance: a normal door, but shades the walls behind it with a darker hue. (Please, I'm tired of having to use 3x4 doorways opening into the void. We need smaller entrances for the more intricate builds.)
Larger doors - - - For building on a grander scale.

Grate - - - An metallic version of the Trap Door. Functions similarly, but opened only when toggled with Wire. (Possibly opens similarly to the Tall Gate? (Instead of flipping open.)) Hmm...
Underwater Grate - - - Functions underwater (and above too). Opens similarly to the Tall Gate.

Mannequin/Womannequin - - - Should be paintable (but not dyeable). Doing so would allow them to be used as stone/marble/metal statues/figurines, depending on the context.
Terracotta Warrior - - - Has eyes and lacks a pedestal (simply more lifelike). (Should it be paintable?) Similar in function to the Mannequin/Womannequin(, but POSSIBLY holds staves, small inverted swords, and spears/halberds?). I believe they would reduce the feeling of emptiness in various builds.

Plaque - - - Type: block (yes, not furniture). Similar to the Sign and Tombstone. Appearance: an almost, if not perfect square. Smooth with small, unintelligible letters/scribbles. Uses: fancy mansions, museums, statues, etc.

Carved Inscription - - - Similar to the Plaque, but rustic. Appearance: rough, stone-like texture since it'll be used alongside various stones. Uses: caves, weathered carvings, catacombs, prisons, etc.

Wooden Box - - - Type: furniture. Appearance: 1 x 1, similar to the Wooden Crate.

Plain Bench - - - Type: furniture. Appearance: similar to the Bench, but without a backrest.

Coffin - - - We have Tombstones, so why not Coffins?
Sarcophagus - - - An extravagant engraved stone coffin for catacombs. (also possibly used as an alter or incorporated into a building) (see: Wikipedia, Sarcophagus and Wikipedia, Ancient Roman Sarcophagi)

Sack - - - Similar to chests/barrels.
Pouch - - - 1x1

More cloth textures
Silk and Tattered Cloth should be placeable, similar to Sail. Uses: a canopy/tarp for a vendor/peddler to sell their wares underneath. Commonly seen in marketplaces, bazaars, and market stalls.
Curtain / Drape - - - (I know that Banners exist, but I would like an actual cloth texture.)
Overlapping Rawhide - - - Uses: ancient/medieval fortifications, trading posts, etc.
Awning - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Awning)
Wall Tent - - - A traditional/military tent.

LIGHT SOURCES
Beacon / Bonfire - - - A large fire. (please see: YouTube, Lighting_of_the_Beacons) (Intended for building on an epic scale. Isn't that why large worlds exist?)
Brazier - - - A three/four-legged bowl. Please see: (Wikipedia, Sacrificial Tripod), (Google, ancient roman brazier), (at the 3:02 mark in YouTube, Lighting of the Beacons) (suggested size: 2 x 2 blocks)
Grated Fire / Large Brazier - - - As seen at the 3:00 mark in (YouTube, Lighting of the Beacons)
Tall Candle - - - A taller Candle. (size: 1 wide, 2 high)
Tall Candlestick - - - A Candle on a candlestick (size: 1 wide, 2/3 high?)
Tall/Standing/Floor Candelabra / Candelabra Stand / Candle Stand/Holder - - - A Candelabra combined with a Lamp. Comes in Gold and Platinum. (size: 2 wide, 3 or 4 high)
Living Fire Wall - - - Why doesn't it exist?
Pyre - - - Wide enough to consume the body, but low enough to avoid roasting the mourners. (I would prefer the altar being somewhat minimal so it may be used for other builds.) (should be somewhat ashy)
Small Stone-Ringed Campfire / Fire Pit - - - A smaller rustic version of the Campfire, but surrounded by stones. (please see: Image_1, Image_2, Image_3)
Wrought Iron Torch - - - A medieval torch. Slightly dimmer than the Torch / Ichor Torch, but brighter than the Orange Torch. Possibly found in the Dungeon.

Open Fire Hanging Pot - - - Similar to the Cooking Pot, but placeable over a Campfire. (overlaps)
A larger version of the Oil Rag Sconse as a Chandelier. Found randomly throughout the Dungeon, but has a lower chance of spawning compared to the Dungeon's respective Chandelier.

STONED
We need Cyclopean masonry, since we have plenty of ashlar masonry. There should be at least six variants of it, with half having mortar and the other half being dry stone. (please see: Wikipedia, Cyclopean Masonry and Google, Cyclopean masonry)
Small - - - (similar to Gray Brick)
Medium - - - (similar to Ebonstone Brick)
Large - - - (similar to Stone Slab)

We also need more stone textures.
Gravel - - - Appearance: small stone pebbles.
Cobblestone - - - Appearance: stone rocks.
Rubble - - - Appearance: large, irregular stonework.
Limestone - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Limestone)
Slate - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Slate)
Basalt - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Basalt)
Flint - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Flint)
Sett - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Sett)
Flagstone - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Flagstone)

Concrete - - - Made with Gravel, Limestone, and Ash.

More Pillars, similar to Palladium Column. (please see: Wikipedia, Classical Order and Wikipedia, Column)
Doric order - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Doric order)
Ionic order - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Ionic order)
Corinthian order - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Corinthian order)
Tuscan order - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Tuscan order)
Composite order - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Composite order)
Giant order - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Giant order)
Pilaster - - - (please see: Wikipedia, Pilaster)

More roofing/shingles/tiles, similar to Dynasty Shingles. (please see: Wikipedia, Roof Tiles)
Classical / Roman / Mediterranean / Terracotta / Clay / Ceramic
Wood / Cedar
Stone / Slate
Asphalt

The texture for Red Brick should be replaced with a flatter brick texture. (please see: Wikipedia, Roman Brick)

Red, Yellow, and Green Stucco has been rendered useless by paint. I believe they should be replaced with a cracking/peeling texture, a smoother plastered texture, and two different variations of Stucco (with one being wattle and daub). (I think that White Stucco could use a slight touch-up too, since it looks rather drab.)

OTHER
Laurel wreath & Toga - - - Type: vanity set. Possibly sold by the Traveling Merchant, found in a Goodie Bag, of crafted at the Loom.

Historical armors - - - For Mannequin/Womannequins, since it would be far too resource intensive to make armors on them dyeable.

Plain Horse - - - Type: mount. Functions: a land-based mount that can transverse only across shallow waters. Can charge/dash/sprint to trample foes, similar to the Unicorn. Possibly summoned by Horse Reins, Compressed Hay, Apple, Spurs, Horseshoe, or a bauble/trinket? (The Tall Gate wasn't implemented exclusively for the Unicorn, was it?)

(Iron) Mattock - - - Type: tool. An axe combined with a pick, first used during the Bronze Age. (absolutely useless, but I would still use it when building end-game)

I'm pretty sure that you've already seen them, but I believe that they would make an amazing addition.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/sprites-placeable-materials.9701/
I believe that consumables should be consumed with the left mouse button, and placed with the right mouse button.
Or they could be placed with Silverware/Cutlery/Serving Platter, similar to a Wrench.
I also think Pots should drop a placeable version of itself when mined.
Placeable Cake, craftable. Yields 8 Slices of Cake when used at a Work Bench/Table.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/one-heck-of-a-big-suggestion-aquariums.621/
You're implementing this already, aren't you? (It seems odd to Terrariums/Cages, but not Aquariums.) (Or maybe you could add an Aquarium block (furniture), which would merge with other nearby Aquarium blocks, with the fishes could be added in afterwards, manually. (with maximum capacity determined by size?))

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/more-living-wood-variants.27325/
Variation can't hurt, can it? Possibly sold by the Dryad, or as suggested in the thread.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-grand-design-menu-for-more-tools.45884/
A (hopefully) simple quality of life suggestion.
Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...-new-items-new-mechanics-new-equipment.50275/
Please prioritize the Compass Divider, Protractor, and the Measuring Tape as seen in (Sergo's GIF). They would be an invaluable asset when building. (Personally however, I'm not too fond of the Ninja Rack. Why are ninjas everywhere?)

The Palladium Column is simply too flat when using it to build anything classical (such as a villa or temple). Besides, it's always nice to have a wide variety of (paintable) textures.
(yay, I'm not alone)
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/pillars-beams-and-columns.12498/
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/marble-columns.25032/
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/sprites-columns.33658/
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/more-beams-pillars.17116/

For interesting suggestions that came to my attention (through this thread. I apologize, but I simply don't have the time to browse the forums.) I'm not mentioning any sort of gimmicky items or biomes, unless I believe it fits into the "base" game.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/dynamic-parallax.61836/
An interesting idea. I would like to see it implemented (at least partially), depending on its feasibility.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/i-am-the-lorax-i-speak-for-the-trees.62728/
I think we should at least be able to choose our desired tree type. (Possibly with a "Tree Wand", similar to a Block Placing Wand. The type would be determined similar to how the Multicolor Wrench/The Grand Design allows you to.)
I see how uncreative I am... (see: Spergo's "Grand Design for more tools")

Some antique/vintage and modern furniture and a chain-link fence as Laluzi mentioned. (You have to charge your phone somewhere, don't you?)

More incoming?

Don't give me your approval. However, please do provide feedback and criticism. I'll give you credit for your suggestions.

Be strong for war. Be bold against enemies and evil, and defend the people of Tamriel.

:rslime:
Lord Garak (corrected a typo!)
Thank you!
:rslime:

Last edited:
You ask for no approval, but you also ask for an honest response to your poll, which the options available don't allow!

There's no need for such intense self-deprecation when you have genuinely good suggestions. I would do so much for thorny brambles to put in a garden, or food to put on my banquet tables. I wanted placable crates and had to make do with the very thin barrels available. Perhaps they could be stackable, so you can place them on surfaces (like tables, or other crates?) Maybe a placable tumbleweed? In addition to those fences you suggested - while building recently, I found that many of the fences in game were too thick. I'd love just one fence that was very thin and showed most of the background behind it, with a wide space between its posts. Oh, and perhaps chainlink fence?

These are nice, simple suggestions that don't seek to overhaul the game, but add plenty to building. I wish we saw more suggestions like this. The only possible criticism is that you might have too much variety in placable foodstuffs and stone textures, and I can't really see that many ending up in game, but seriously, that's not much of a crit. This is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom