tModLoader The Spirit Mod!

Whats the point in a weapon seemingly integral to a mod if it takes a ridiculous amount of grinding? We've entirely forgone the weapon, their are others that are as effective considering we also have Thorium. If the mod offers something interesting then I am all for it but not if the mod wants to waste my time with unreasonable drop rates.

The fact that its hard to get isn't what makes a weapon special, its me using it that makes it special, to MY game. Considering this one has multiple tiers, it couldve been very special and I wouldve held onto it for each subsequent upgrade, but after getting the first item of 4, for the 1st tier even? No thanks.
Most Artifact materials have a drop rate similar to the boss's trophy. I don't know the exact rate since I didn't make the mod, but you just got unlucky there...Although, yeah, sometimes those drops can be a huge pain. Maybe they could be increased to a one-in-five drop chance?

...That's not how it works. If you can beat a boss at least several times, you have proven that you can take on the challenge without lucking out of a bad situation. Beating a boss 30 times instead of 3 isn't "difficult," it's a boring and annoying grind unless you really have fun fighting that boss.

I certainly don't consider artifact weapons integral to the mod. Yes, they're a large part of the mod, but they exist for someone willing to farm them, in order to recieve a weapon better than most others at the tier. Once again, the drop chance for boss materials is akin to(actually higher by 2.5%) to trophies, and people have no qualms farming for those. Most other materials can be obtained by talking a trip to an area full of enemies, and those are easy to obtain as well. I have no intentions of increasing the artifact material drop rates at the current moment, because I've more than doubled them since their release :p

I certainly don't consider artifact weapons integral to the mod. Yes, they're a large part of the mod, but they exist for someone willing to farm them, in order to recieve a weapon better than most others at the tier. Once again, the drop chance for boss materials is akin to(actually higher by 2.5%) to trophies, and people have no qualms farming for those. Most other materials can be obtained by talking a trip to an area full of enemies, and those are easy to obtain as well. I have no intentions of increasing the artifact material drop rates at the current moment, because I've more than doubled them since their release :p

Putting in tedium work so you can roll content further into the game with an easier time sounds like (and I don't mean disrespect toward this well designed mod or you) bad game design in general. The content should reward difficulty, which is the exact opposite of what your idea of rewarding gameplay is. Grinding is frustrating and boring, and I can understand adding it for some facets of the game, hell vanilla Terraria has it, but this mod has taken this idea to such an extreme with the artifact weapons/accessories that the majority of usual players will skip.

Grinding a boss for a weapon is an easy concept to follow and understand. Grinding a boss/event for a material for an upgrade of a weapon that has to have this done multiple times WHILE finding out which bosses even drop items(we're trying not to spoil the experience with wikis or guides) AND keeping track of which ones we have so far is a mountain of tedious work you're asking your player to complete for content. Integral or not, these weapons and the fashion in which you've implemented them are frustrating and unfun and seeing you casually disregard any thoughts on making them easier to obtain is heartbreaking. Maybe involving expert mode, or giving more materials guaranteed from more difficult bosses to craft the required items, anything besides a random drop chance so low it could easily be missed, and just seeing that abnormal list of requirements to reach the highest of tiers leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth.

Your mod, your vision, do what you want. But not to stroke your ego too much, the rest of the content is fantastic and free, nobody is going to complain. Just because one portion of a massive mod is a tedious crapshoot doesn't ruin the rest of it. And if you mean in the context specifically for the artifacts? I don't know who you've spoken to, but nobody in my lifetime has approached me and said "I like wasting time doing repetitive tasks with a small chance of a reward" also multiply that by 4, and mutiply that by how many tiers there are. It's awesome design lost for a majority of players. I don't like that idea, but you already said how you feel so ok.

Just a helluva shame.

A long message
I certainly understand your point to a certain extent. The people I've spoken to about artifacts, for the most part, are fine with it being hard to farm. Some people do enjoy the experience of farming, and my thoughts about this sum up to 'patience for reward,' a mechanic vanilla Terraria uses as well, for items like the Ankh Shield and RoD. While some people may not enjoy the experience, others do, and it's certainly a hard line balancing to meet the needs of both types of players. I personally enjoy farming, so I may be biased there. After thinking about and looking over the drop chances(after my previous message), I wouldn't be averse to increasing the drop chance for tougher bosses, as you suggest, and making the margin between normal and expert drops wider(by increasing some expert drop rates).

That being said, I appreciate the criticism and feedback! Without that, I'd be in no position to progress. That being said, I'm glad you're enjoying the rest of the mod.

Now who would've thought I could sprite something for a Terraria mod...I wonder what sort of thing I could---oh...that's what~

Attachments

• Reachman Banner.png
    Reachman Banner.png
    593 bytes · Views: 140
Putting in tedium work so you can roll content further into the game with an easier time sounds like (and I don't mean disrespect toward this well designed mod or you) bad game design in general. The content should reward difficulty, which is the exact opposite of what your idea of rewarding gameplay is. Grinding is frustrating and boring, and I can understand adding it for some facets of the game, hell vanilla Terraria has it, but this mod has taken this idea to such an extreme with the artifact weapons/accessories that the majority of usual players will skip.

Grinding a boss for a weapon is an easy concept to follow and understand. Grinding a boss/event for a material for an upgrade of a weapon that has to have this done multiple times WHILE finding out which bosses even drop items(we're trying not to spoil the experience with wikis or guides) AND keeping track of which ones we have so far is a mountain of tedious work you're asking your player to complete for content. Integral or not, these weapons and the fashion in which you've implemented them are frustrating and unfun and seeing you casually disregard any thoughts on making them easier to obtain is heartbreaking. Maybe involving expert mode, or giving more materials guaranteed from more difficult bosses to craft the required items, anything besides a random drop chance so low it could easily be missed, and just seeing that abnormal list of requirements to reach the highest of tiers leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth.

Your mod, your vision, do what you want. But not to stroke your ego too much, the rest of the content is fantastic and free, nobody is going to complain. Just because one portion of a massive mod is a tedious crapshoot doesn't ruin the rest of it. And if you mean in the context specifically for the artifacts? I don't know who you've spoken to, but nobody in my lifetime has approached me and said "I like wasting time doing repetitive tasks with a small chance of a reward" also multiply that by 4, and mutiply that by how many tiers there are. It's awesome design lost for a majority of players. I don't like that idea, but you already said how you feel so ok.

Just a helluva shame.

I come in here to see arguing about a 12.5% drop, yet I haven't seen nearly this much debate on Monster Hunter rares. You don't even know grinding until you have to fight a long :red: boss for a rare that has 4 opportunities to drop, all of which being a 3% (4 times), 3% (2 times), 2% (no guarantee, but stupidly dangerous), and 2%. In the end, what I'm trying to say is you may have only a 12.5% drop chance, but most bosses aren't even that hard, and take a maybe a minute or two, while some people grind 25 minutes for some things with no guarantee of success. On a side note, there's much worse RNG out there in games like Warfame and our favorite Terraria. Whether its that insert rare Warframe drop or a Rod of Discord, there is much worse.

Also part of the problem isn't the drop rate, but its Desire Sensor. The more you want it, the higher chance you won't get it. Anyway, I'm done unnecessarily ranting.

I certainly understand your point to a certain extent. The people I've spoken to about artifacts, for the most part, are fine with it being hard to farm. Some people do enjoy the experience of farming, and my thoughts about this sum up to 'patience for reward,' a mechanic vanilla Terraria uses as well, for items like the Ankh Shield and RoD. While some people may not enjoy the experience, others do, and it's certainly a hard line balancing to meet the needs of both types of players. I personally enjoy farming, so I may be biased there. After thinking about and looking over the drop chances(after my previous message), I wouldn't be averse to increasing the drop chance for tougher bosses, as you suggest, and making the margin between normal and expert drops wider(by increasing some expert drop rates).

That being said, I appreciate the criticism and feedback! Without that, I'd be in no position to progress. That being said, I'm glad you're enjoying the rest of the mod.
The drop rates are fine as someone who has already farm EoC 25+ times I can understand the frustration but its simply poor chance. Artifacts are meant to be accessible early game but may require more effort than most weapons. Phoenix is a fair person and I dont think he would want people to suffer but also not to allow someone to obtain it with ease.
Besides if you simply dont enjoy farming thats fine just use other weapons in your progression or perhaps when your farther down in progression you return to making the weapon and it will atleast save you some time.

I got this error while loading spirit mod, and other loading errors all day (not sure if it was the same file each time, but it was a sound file)

The mp3 sound file at Sounds/Music/SpiritUnderground.mp3 failed to load
at Terraria.ModLoader.Mod.Autoload()
at Terraria.ModLoader.ModLoader.do_Load(Object threadContext)

just a little detail: the artifact weapons have a color of tier purple right? but when you compare the color of the first tier of solus and the other weapons the color for that weapon its slightly more dark than the upgraded ones.

Have a small question, I made the Shard of Thanos and in the recipe browser it said 24dmg but when I made it, it dropped to 16.

Edit: Now that I tried it some more, it seems that right-clicking the weapon drops the dmg further down to 11 for a while.

Phoenix programed Thanos's right click to decrease in damage to balance its dps otherwise the damage would be way too powerful. Don't worry tho the prefix isn't permanent it lasts for only a moment.
Aaight, that makes sense. However when I reload the game it displays normal 24 dmg or so but as soon as I left click it once it drops to 16 again and stays there.

Edit: Found a gobling and reforged the thing. After I made it deadly it reset to standard dmg and then when I left clicked it once it got a -32% dmg modifier even though its deadly.

Aaight, that makes sense. However when I reload the game it displays normal 24 dmg or so but as soon as I left click it once it drops to 16 again and stays there.

Edit: Found a gobling and reforged the thing. After I made it deadly it reset to standard dmg and then when I left clicked it once it got a -32% dmg modifier even though its deadly.
'
Right click weapons do have a visual issue when it comes to prefixes, don't worry about that :p
Tier 2 Solus makes Biome Mimics do absolutely no dmg forever. Shadow burn buff too strong?
I'll need to look into that.

'
Right click weapons do have a visual issue when it comes to prefixes, don't worry about that :p

I'll need to look into that.
Is it really a visual issue if my first hit does 25+ dmg and the consequent hits all do around ~15dmg? (this all being left-click attacks). The weapon resets to normal dmg for 1 hit after I restart the game or reforge it. Maybe one of my other mods is affecting it like RPG classes or something.

Back
Top Bottom