tModLoader The Spirit Mod!

I'd love to hear any suggestions you have.
Y'know, the variety in magic weapons is one of the best things about them, but I think managing mana usage, regeneration rates, and max capacity, all without falling prey to mana sickness, also adds to the feel of it. There's no equivalent complexity in melee and ranged, so even if there were greater variety, I think they might still feel less satisfying.
We have stabby shortwords which no one uses, swinging broadswords, spears, and flails. Some unique things like sickles and the Solar Eruption. Then we have the vast majority of endgame weapons, which all fire some kind of projectile, which to my way of thinking is really a cop-out. What's "melee" about flinging a beam of light at something offscreen? But solving that would turn Terraria into a different game, so that's out.
You could use the mechanic introduced by the Brand of the Inferno - right-click to block, and the Striking Moment buff - to make melee more complex that way. Give lots of melee weapons a similar power, including those which throw "melee" projectiles, and make their normal damage too low to be viable unless they're using that block/counter mechanic, but better than average for that point in game progression if they do.
Throwing weapons, similarly, could give you a buff that raises damage to viable levels only when you avoid damage for a sufficient period of time - going with the whole agile rogue archetype. That mechanic could be derived from the way the Beetle Shell works.
(I don't know anything about coding, or what's possible to do, so I'm trying to think of ideas which have some kind of equivalent already.)
Ranged weapons could reward precision by giving a bonus to crit and/or damage when you stop shooting for a second.
But looking back at these ideas now that I've written them down, I'm sort of meh-ish on all of them.
Block/counter is really a novelty; trying to adopt it wholesale is pointless in a game which often resembles a bullet hell. Boss stats aren't tuned for it, enemy movement isn't designed for it, the whole concept of contact damage isn't conducive to it.
Viable throwing damage only when incoming damage is avoided is fine in theory, but leads inevitably to no-win situations.
Precision bonuses wouldn't work because sustained damage with a high ROF for multiple crit chances will always trump any one increased chance, even at 100%. And that's before we get into procs, which wipe out the whole idea anyway. Bah.
Well, I tried. Sorry. Maybe something in there will spark an idea for you?
I'll keep thinking about it, maybe something will occur to me that's complicated enough to be interesting, but not too complicated, and not going against the grain of the rest of the game.
Honestly, I think the only realistic options involve doing different things with projectiles.

And I really want to gate Keystone Fragments more. I've had the most annoying time trying to make them only show up when not having duplicates, like Quest Fish, but it's proved difficult. I'll be making them only fishable in the Cavern layer and below next update, while also lowering the drop chance but gradually increasing it as you kill more bosses, so you don't only stock up on artifacts.
I did think of an easy solution for this one, though! Combine 1 Keystone Fragment with 1 Stone for 1 Keystone Block. Make it sparkly and gleaming and awesome enough for its rarity. They could just be used as highlights or a dais or something in a build. Odd Keystones could be placeable and sparkly, too.

could you increase the droprate of the demon lamp? only dropped it after 450 demons and 250 fire imps and i think it shouldn't be that way.

or am I just unlucky?

I beat a mech boss...can't find the Spirit Biome anywhere on the world map. ._.
It's not gonna show up on your map, you'll have to go out exploring first :p
could you increase the droprate of the demon lamp? only dropped it after 450 demons and 250 fire imps and i think it shouldn't be that way.

or am I just unlucky?
The drop chance is far more common than that, you're quite unlucky there :p

This may sound really stupid and unnecessary, but I am having trouble finding out how to get the Altar of Creation. Anyone can help me out?

This may sound really stupid and unnecessary, but I am having trouble finding out how to get the Altar of Creation. Anyone can help me out?

Put some Old Leather (dropped from Zombies), Ancient Bark (dropped from Reach mobs), and some Primordial Magic (dropped from...well, anything!) together, and you have an Altar!

Equally, they can be sometimes found in Reach biomes themselves, if you're lucky.~

It seems to me that the Tide event is not working; using the Black Pearl near the ocean is not working, at least for me on an expert small world with only CheatSheet as another mod installed.

To me there are no reach enemies spawning in the reach, daytime or nighttime

EDIT: I'm playing in multiplayer with only imksushi as the only mod beside spirit mod

Last edited:
Crank up that drop rate for the artifact weapon materials to 100%, or literally anything more reasonable. They seem like such a key part to the mod that its a shame I refuse to grind the Eye for more then I did.

Me and my girlfriend racked up 30 kills on the eye before it dropped the retina. If the other drops are anything like that, we have zero interest in the grind. Make 'em guaranteed expert drops or something.

EDIT: Added "materials", in case anyone thinks I'm referring to a specific weapons drop rate. I mean the materials for the artifact, as in, I need four for an upgrade, and if 1/4 of a crafting recipe took that long, and there exist more tiers, there in no way I'm doing that again.

Last edited:
Crank up that drop rate for the artifact weapons to 100%, or literally anything more reasonable. They seem like such a key part to the mod that its a shame I refuse to grind the Eye for more then I did.

Me and my girlfriend racked up 30 kills on the eye before it dropped the retina. If the other drops are anything like that, we have zero interest in the grind. Make 'em guaranteed expert drops or something.

Most Artifact materials have a drop rate similar to the boss's trophy. I don't know the exact rate since I didn't make the mod, but you just got unlucky there...Although, yeah, sometimes those drops can be a huge pain. Maybe they could be increased to a one-in-five drop chance?

That kinda defeats the purpose of them being special, though. What good is an awesome weapon if it's easy to get?

...That's not how it works. If you can beat a boss at least several times, you have proven that you can take on the challenge without lucking out of a bad situation. Beating a boss 30 times instead of 3 isn't "difficult," it's a boring and annoying grind unless you really have fun fighting that boss.

That kinda defeats the purpose of them being special, though. What good is an awesome weapon if it's easy to get?

Whats the point in a weapon seemingly integral to a mod if it takes a ridiculous amount of grinding? We've entirely forgone the weapon, their are others that are as effective considering we also have Thorium. If the mod offers something interesting then I am all for it but not if the mod wants to waste my time with unreasonable drop rates.

The fact that its hard to get isn't what makes a weapon special, its me using it that makes it special, to MY game. Considering this one has multiple tiers, it couldve been very special and I wouldve held onto it for each subsequent upgrade, but after getting the first item of 4, for the 1st tier even? No thanks.

Killing the eye a hundred times isn't difficult, it's tedious. I haven't suggested it because I think it's too much work to ask the modders to do but difficult would be if the items (with a much higher, preferably 100%, droprate) combined to make an item that summoned a hard to kill boss that dropped the weapon.

I get you all saying that the Artifact Weapon is an integral part of the mod, sure. But at the same time if you're guaranteed to get the mob/boss drop all the time, it defeats the purpose of how special the Artifacts are. Sure, no one likes to grind the same boss a lot, but work for your prize at least.

Back
Top Bottom