tModLoader The Stars Above - 'Conquer the world's evils, Starfarers at your side.'

What should be the next addition?

• More weapons

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • More bosses

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Starfarer Active Abilities

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm just doing my first playthrough with this mod and I really like it so far, but I came across my first essence "Essence of the Freeshooter".
As a german, I feel obligated to tell you that the weapon I can create with it, the "Der Freischutz" translates to "The Freeprotection", which doesn't make any sense in german or english.
If your goal was to just make it look/sound neat in english, it may have worked, but if you want the actual translation: "Freeshooter" would translate to "Freischütze", which also doesn't make any sense, but you could use "Freischuss", which translates to "Freeshot" and is a word that actually exists.
"Der Freischütz" is a german fairy tale about a hunter who makes a deal with the devil

The stolen gwen voicelines felt really out of place to me, I guess its just because I've heard them a bunch of times in league of legends but I'm not really a fan of them being used for Penthesilea. Was a fun fight otherwise.

how do i beat the vigrant of space and time it just randomly despawns and when you hurt it it despawns too i tried surviving because i thought it could be a survival boss but i gave up after like 2 mins because it only has 1 attack and it never did anything

Last edited:
Heya! Just made an account specifically to comment on this thread and say well done! This mod is pretty awesome, and I look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

I have a suggestion for the mod:
Make the voice acting a toggleable config option. Some folks aren't into the voices, and I think making it something that can be toggled would appeal to those folks.

I'd also like to volunteer my services if you need any further voiceover work, like if you decided to give voices to the rest of the cast.

Just entered hard mode and tried to fight the Vagrant of Space and Time, apparently the mod REALLY hates retro and trippy lighting. Everything got whited out and I'm getting maybe 30fps, which is pretty shockingly low on a brand new Ryzen 5 and 6800 XT. Switching to Color or White puts me back in the 100+ fps range and works fine.

Untitled.png

LULZ moment. I was farming stuff and pirates decided to show up. Everything was fine until Dutchman appeared. Because when Asphodene shouted about DoG, I was like "wait wtf I only started hardmode" and then I saw Dutchman stuck in my house and after that she said her line about this flying thing. Bug, but kinda funny

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    362.9 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
how do i beat the vigrant of space and time it just randomly despawns and when you hurt it it despawns too i tried surviving because i thought it could be a survival boss but i gave up after like 2 mins because it only has 1 attack and it never did anything

I found your mod through this video:

And correct me if I'm wrong but is the sound effect used for the attack at 0:36 is from Arknights?

When using the spatial disk, I cannot open the passive abilities menu anymore and it seems to crash the mod (the game is still playable).
to be more specific, after loading a game, i can :
- left click the spatial disk for any talk
- right click to acess archive ans the yet locked middle option
However after clicking once on the passive menu, the disk would close without any word, and then i wouldn't be able to interact anymore with the spatial disk unless reloading a game.

Also :
-this happened when selecting my 3rd passive with provide 6 def, minus 30 damage if i get hit for more than 100 hp etc.
- each time i load the game, it seems to work and i can see the 6 def passive is there. As soon as i click on passive menu and make the mod bug, the 6 def would disappear.
@Varel015 , I had the same issue last night. I just killed Skeletron and suddenly the passive menu stopped working and I could no longer use the Bifrost. This morning I loaded a separate world (this one was never previously loaded with Stars Above active). The passive menu worked fine in that world, and still had my passives. I returned to the world I was playing last night and the passive menu started to work! Not sure if this will help debug or unblock you, but worth a shot

Okay, so I've been playing your mod on my streams for the last few weeks, and I have some feedback for you. Unfortunately, it's at least partially negative.

The Good:
This mod is fun. Really cool concepts, neat mechanics, and the weapons all feel distinct from one another...to an extent. The Starfarers and other characters are neat, seemingly well fleshed out characters with distinct flavors of their own.

That's where the praise ends, though, I'm afraid.

The Bad:
The weapons added are all exceptionally unbalanced, feeling either wildly too strong or painfully weak for the various points at which you obtain them. The design philosophy on the Astral weapons, specifically, is incredibly frustrating to play with, especially as a dedicated class.
Ranged weapons requiring no bullets, but using mana instead? That's neat on the surface, but then you realize: the mod adds no reliable ways to consistently regain mana, and all the vanilla content that buffs mana regeneration or reduces costs is specifically tailored to Magic damage. And swapping the mod's guns to magic damage inflicts a flat 10% damage reduction, so that the buffs you'd get from mage accessories aren't really helpful. This is extremely poor design, as it forces the player to stop attacking every so often so that their mana can regenerate, but in combat it takes a long time.
Most, if not all, weapons have charge times? That's neat again, but it slows down combat immensely, and the charged effects are rarely good enough to feel like it's worth it, at least to me. Add onto this the fact that the charge times are sometimes quite long, and certain weapons have their efficiency wildly reduced if you don't charge them to their fullest. The melee weapons all have a half-dozen different effects and various ways to trigger them, which is again, quite cool. But their ranges are short, or their charge rate is slow, or their rate of fire is slow.

Slowing the entire combat cycle of Terraria down makes for unbelievably frustrating gameplay.

To be clear, I'm not trying to dog on the mod. It's really neat, and there are some super cool concepts here. I just think that the weapon designs need some serious reworking, and the gameplay loop should be addressed to help fix its speed and balance issues.

So, i have 2 questions about this mod:

1. Would i need to create a new world if i wanted to access cosmic voyages when i already have a world created?

2. Penthesilea crashes my game everytime i spawn her. Any reason why?

Okay, so I've been playing your mod on my streams for the last few weeks, and I have some feedback for you. Unfortunately, it's at least partially negative.

The Good:
This mod is fun. Really cool concepts, neat mechanics, and the weapons all feel distinct from one another...to an extent. The Starfarers and other characters are neat, seemingly well fleshed out characters with distinct flavors of their own.

That's where the praise ends, though, I'm afraid.

The Bad:
The weapons added are all exceptionally unbalanced, feeling either wildly too strong or painfully weak for the various points at which you obtain them. The design philosophy on the Astral weapons, specifically, is incredibly frustrating to play with, especially as a dedicated class.
Ranged weapons requiring no bullets, but using mana instead? That's neat on the surface, but then you realize: the mod adds no reliable ways to consistently regain mana, and all the vanilla content that buffs mana regeneration or reduces costs is specifically tailored to Magic damage. And swapping the mod's guns to magic damage inflicts a flat 10% damage reduction, so that the buffs you'd get from mage accessories aren't really helpful. This is extremely poor design, as it forces the player to stop attacking every so often so that their mana can regenerate, but in combat it takes a long time.
Most, if not all, weapons have charge times? That's neat again, but it slows down combat immensely, and the charged effects are rarely good enough to feel like it's worth it, at least to me. Add onto this the fact that the charge times are sometimes quite long, and certain weapons have their efficiency wildly reduced if you don't charge them to their fullest. The melee weapons all have a half-dozen different effects and various ways to trigger them, which is again, quite cool. But their ranges are short, or their charge rate is slow, or their rate of fire is slow.

Slowing the entire combat cycle of Terraria down makes for unbelievably frustrating gameplay.

To be clear, I'm not trying to dog on the mod. It's really neat, and there are some super cool concepts here. I just think that the weapon designs need some serious reworking, and the gameplay loop should be addressed to help fix its speed and balance issues.

I have to agree. I've ridden this through to endgame on two worlds now and, while it is by far one of my favorite total conversions, I feel like it's suffering from the same problem as Path of Exile and Warframe: A ton of fascinating ideas that don't fit the actual gameplay loop, and a fair amount of balance issues.

In terms of balance a little tweaking to timing and numbers is really all you need, and the nature of the unlock system gives you a built-in barometer for scaling if you're up to it. The stellar prisms could be fixed just by adjusting them so they actually let you either balance or minmax crit, cost, and damage instead of pretty much all cancelling each other out or costing too much to really use. Alternatively you could add real depth with adjusting nova duration, area of effect, effect/debuff duration, mechanics like damage done or number of enemies hit, and synergies with weapons or passives. I might actually care about the difference between gambling on crits vs damage with theofania, or on damage vs uptime on ars. Especially if it meant I'd get a payoff for pulling something off.

The harder problem is where the mod's content just doesn't fit terraria's gameplay. Terraria is a game that's half hunting for items and resources, half repeatedly grinding bosses. The natural pressure is going to be towards killing those bosses faster and faster. That's a very strong pressure against anything that either substantially extends my TTK, takes so long to charge or set up that i've already killed the boss by the time it's ready, or is just so involved and complex to use I can't really engage with it in the middle of a fight.

Take the Luminary Wand for example. As a summoner I'm giving up a lot of other things and likely to be relying on other weapons or items for damage and utility. Requiring I hold that one weapon in my hand full-time is pretty crippling, and the payoff is basically a magic weapon with non-homing medium speed projectiles that can only be fired from randomly selected locations around the arena. Bury The Light on the other hand moots anything else you might want to use with no real drawback and has what sounds like an interesting secondary fire... but you'll really only use it on bosses, and they need to be in a fairly precise physical location several seconds after you trigger it.

I'm liking this mod a lot, but I'm having a big problem with the bosses, and its mainly that they slow the game a lot, mainly when they charge their attacks
Im playing with other mods but it's only happening with this one, and I think its because they spawn a lot of particles or something? But it surprises me because no other mod has this problem, as I said.

so, im stuck in the stellar array.... the item to send me back home despawned for some reason.....

do the bosses have increased stats in calamity? I remember seeing penthesilea and arbitration being much stronger. Warrior of Light was also taking hits from post-polterghast weapons

Back
Top Bottom