PC The state of 1.3.1 for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like wow, 10 months since the last update, and we get.......an improvement on placing wires everywhere and gamepad improvements? Sigh, is this where this game development is going? I mean, I know the core people are working on Overworld, and it looks amazing, but.....what's with weeks between updates? We haven't seen ANY new substantial information on Overworld in months, not fan chat counting. OFFICIAL updates. I understand that progress has slowed with the original game with the work on the next game in the series, but come on? How about.....new bosses, new weapons, new axes, new environments, progression based objectives, creating a "hell world", being able to trigger ALL events, new items, new ores, new bars, new just....ANYTHING. Once you max out a character, the game is a joke, because you can use the max character to craft all end game items, weapons, armor, and then what are you supposed to do? I know there's expert mode, but still. Why not make an EXTREME mode? Why not make an upside down mode? Why not make modes like massive ocean, or rainforest, or desert plains? Things that challenge players because they are limited in what they can use? Why not boss rush mode? Or Sky World? So many possibilities.

Even though my smallish brain can barely comprehend the wiring behind all that stuff, 1.3.1 is looking great. Super hyped for this update and beyond.

Quantium, you may notice one interesting thing about the (fairly large) 1.3 update: it had virtually no new wiring content in it. It seemed to me that, rather than take an inordinate amount of time delaying the much anticipated 1.3 update, all of that wiring content was "put aside" for the time being. Then, after 1.3 hit, the team was able to give dedicated and focused time on making a wiring centric update.

Mind you, there was no lack of clarity on the content of said update. There are posts going back months, to the very initial announcement of 1.3.1, indicating that it would be a wiring-centric update (so this has been a clearly stated fact since, oh, around September). The inclusion of Gamepad features was announced a good bit later. Suffice to say, this is just "that kind of update", while 1.3 was a more content-centric update.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there is a very large wiring/mechanic following among Terraria players, and, in my opinion, they were somewhat passed over in the last update. This is their chance to shine. Meanwhile, Gamepad support is a growing consideration for gaming, and has had a surprisingly popular reception since its announcement. It may not seem like an appealing update to every user, but considering the full population, I think the attention to these features was warranted.

Meanwhile, continuing development post 1.3.1 can proceed with these features well-established, freeing up the developers to work on different types of content. :)

While you can't actually place tiles in their already actuated form, we indeed added a tool to actuate them more conveniently, and an accessory to place actuators with the objects you lay down much like the Paint Sprayer. :happy:

ReMGbU1.gif
this new tool better be called the actuator activator

Just going to add the fun, I may not be interested in wiring but if it makes some cool stuff (Which people will) then it sounds amazing. Also controller support is awesome, can't wait for 1.3.2 after for some more meatier stuff I can actually get into. Not that Terraria really needs any more content, I've already gotten 1.2k hours out of it.

I asked this question to Redigit and his response was, " Ask @Yoraiz0r thst and watch him burst into flames."
I am going to assume the answer is very difficult. :p
I always felt like the whole "limited world" gave the game a certain charm...also it does kind of make sense considering the entire game takes place inside one of the tiny worlds within a terrarium (hence the name).

I wonder how many people realised that

I am 100% with Quantium. Have you seen the rate at which DiverManSam works on his thorium Mod? Wiring is cool and it needed an update. But the rate of news is a bit ridiculous... 10 months for a wiring update... Not so sure... RED come back :(

#1.3WiringUpdate #IliekIt
Granite Golem Statue
New Gem Texture? (Large Emerald Gem)
Gem Frame
Change traps' direction? (Flame Trap)

I am 100% with Quantium. Have you seen the rate at which DiverManSam works on his thorium Mod? Wiring is cool and it needed an update. But the rate of news is a bit ridiculous... 10 months for a wiring update... Not so sure... RED come back :(

Modifying the game's engine and adding content through class inheritance are so dissimilar I'm not even going to bother finding an analogy for it.

I for one think it's a much wiser decision to make existing things better instead of adding new things that might not make as much sense. Also, controller support is much more important than adding new bosses. Making the admittedly lacking wiring system better is much more important than adding new enemies that don't make a lot of sense.

Furthermore, there comes a point in a game's life where you need to stop constantly trying to stuff more and more fluff in it. I get it, everyone wants 3 new bosses every update and 50 new weapons and 17 new enemies with 3 variants each, and another dimension and 2 new biomes. But is it practical? No. Considering Terraria has been supported, post-release, with free content updates, for almost 5 years...every single update that is talked about is not required to have a boatload of new stuff, especially with so much of the existing stuff remaining bugged or not given as much attention as other things. For every person that wants "more new things!!" there's a person that wants "Hey, fix the existing things!!"

It's easy to add content. It's hard to stop adding new content. They chose to spend this update doing heavy bug fixes and massive adjustments to an area of the game many people, a LOT of people, considered very weak in comparison to other parts of the game: Wiring / mechanisms.

Sorry it's not something you wanted. But I'll tell you this, it's something many others did. 1.3 was released without giving wiring any love. 1.3.1 is for wiring. Controller support hasn't been given any love in 5 years. 1.3.1 is for controller support.

This is how it is, and it is a good thing. 1.3 had the new bosses, the new enemies, the new weapons, the new etc etc. Now it's time to give another part of the game love.

Also, if people want content popped out at the speed that modders do it, isn't the answer to just play with those mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom