PC The state of 1.3.1 for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will ultimately come a point when Terraria will simply be too big to support with further content updates. It's getting there, but not quite yet. People are gonna have to cope with the reality that Terraria development will eventually have to end and be happy with what they got. With the limited space left. stuff like the wiring update can be considered meaningful content in regards to the mechanics it brings to the game. It's not bloaty or pointless like adding 30 weapons more powerful than Moon Lord drops, for example.

There will ultimately come a point when Terraria will simply be too big to support with further content updates. It's getting there, but not quite yet. People are gonna have to cope with the reality that Terraria development will eventually have to end and be happy with what they got. With the limited space left. stuff like the wiring update can be considered meaningful content in regards to the mechanics it brings to the game. It's not bloaty or pointless like adding 30 weapons more powerful than Moon Lord drops, for example.

As a programmer, there is always a way to dish out more content and mechanics. Terraria isn't limitless, but it surely isn't limited either. That being said, we are talking about .NET. The limits are there, the question is how far are you willing to go to break these limits and make a game in its current engine style show what it truly is capable of without punishing its performance and stability?

That is the true essence of Terraria and any game. There are games that keep dishing out updates even beyond their limit. We know them as MMOs, like World of Warcraft, they have updates coming out long times.

Terraria, being a standalone game, isn't comparable to that, so, lets look at... Dying Light for example. Didn't think there is any more updates for that game, and yet they keep coming up with new ones.

So, yes, eventually a game will hit its end-point, but that endpoint needs to have an impact that leaves creativity, imagination, and design at its core. MineCraft does this already, will Terraria do the same? New wiring mechanics is what can create some...interesting adventure maps.

Remember there is the long term goal of Terraria 2 which will certainly use a new engine and when that day comes, it will, well, come. Also don't forget about otherworld, Terraria still has much life in it, but the first is running out, I guess. So yeah. (I will now wait until May 9th when Stellaris comes out, patiently.)

Do you plan on making the Mechanic available earlier? For example, available after beating EoC or something before Skeletron? Or do you plan on adding wiring content before you can obtain the Mechanic? I spend a lot of time in my playthroughs building before skeletron, it would be amazing to get a hand on these amazing new features to incorporate into my elaborate farms and massive bases. Regardless, I am very excited to play around with all of the content, especially conveyor belts :D
I used existing placed wires from traps in my statue farms, there was a trap right underneath my house. I just replaced the inactive stone blocks or dart traps with a statue
[doublepost=1460367699,1460367568][/doublepost]
Remember there is the long term goal of Terraria 2 which will certainly use a new engine and when that day comes, it will, well, come. Also don't forget about otherworld, Terraria still has much life in it, but the first is running out, I guess. So yeah. (I will now wait until May 9th when Stellaris comes out, patiently.)

It is extremely difficult to read purple text on brown background...

I used existing placed wires from traps in my statue farms, there was a trap right underneath my house. I just replaced the inactive stone blocks or dart traps with a statue
[doublepost=1460367699,1460367568][/doublepost
I find it being very difficult to find natural wiring that is convenient

Cenx took 186 damage in total... 1 + 8 + 6 = 15... 1 + 5 = 6... 6 is a multiple of 3... A triangle has 3 sides... Cenx is Illuminati confirmed!

Awesome work as usual! It's awesome knowing that we are close to 1.3.1!

Also, I'm a little late, but congratulations @Leinfors! `:happy:

While you can't actually place tiles in their already actuated form, we indeed added a tool to actuate them more conveniently, and an accessory to place actuators with the objects you lay down much like the Paint Sprayer. :happy:

ReMGbU1.gif

I'm wondering, does this actuator staff/wand thing interfere (I'm not sure if i spelled that right) with normal wiring????

I'm wondering, does this actuator staff/wand thing interfere (I'm not sure if i spelled that right) with normal wiring????

Shouldn't... sounds like all it does is actuate a block, regardless of what it is wired to (or even if it ain't wired to anything at all).

Trust and believe we fully understand that not everyone is excited for controller support or new wiring mechanics. When we design updates we try to accommodate our fan base as a whole. With these two updates out of the way we will happily begin focusing on more mainline content-driven updates for 1.3.2 and beyond. That said, we think you will find what is now possible to be pretty cool indeed: just check out a brief glimpse of an adventure map utilizing the new mechanics from one of our testers:

What exactly is the 'adventure map?' Is that a new feature? Also, what are these 'new mechanics' in the video?

An adventure map is any world file created/built by a user so that other users can enjoy it pre-made, often in the forum of a somewhat linear "adventure", where you don't do the normal crafting but follow rules and are given items and equipment at various points. Its not a new "feature" so to speak, as people have been creating them for a long time.

As for the new mechanics, it literally refers to "Mechanical" features, such as new types of items that involve wiring, etc. The video shows several of of them in action. :)

What exactly is the 'adventure map?' Is that a new feature? Also, what are these 'new mechanics' in the video?

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...adventure-map-echoes-of-the-lost-world.35734/

Here's one of my favorites. Just create a new character, and follow the rules (toss everything you started with), don't do any crafting except for tinkerer's bench, no mining.

Though I do recommend bringing a grappling hook for the pitch black area if you can't make the ridiculously difficult wall-cling jumps, but ONLY using the hook for that part and nowhere else.

what i meant to say is if its wired to something and actuated by the wand will it when turned on turn solid again (ex. super dart trap, actuated w/ wand and activated will it turn solid again) (and yes. i know i quoted my self.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom