tModLoader Dark Souls Adventure Mod: The Story of Red Cloud

Tim Hjersted

Terrarian

the-story-of-red-cloud-cover-art-npc-preview.png

The Story of Red Cloud is a massive 20-40+ hour Dark Souls-inspired adventure built inside the world of Terraria using a custom world, mod and companion soundtrack.

In development over 7 years, your 1-4 player journey will span 18 dungeons spread across an expansive, hand-crafted open world filled with shortcuts, hidden paths, epic boss fights, and countless secrets.

SETUP

✅ Subscribe to the mod on the Steam Workshop page. The Custom World will load automatically when you reach the Select World screen. To create a fresh or updated map, click New on the World screen.

✅ To get the Music Mod, Subscribe via Steam.

⚠️ Scroll down to read about our Discord, Cross Mod Compatibility, and the Game Manual

✅ TOP FEATURES
------------------------------------------
*Companion Soundtrack with 67 songs! (Dark Souls, Elden Ring and Zelda fans will love it)
*43 bosses (16 vanilla plus 27 mod bosses)
*100+ new enemies and 8 friendly NPCs
*800+ new mod items, weapons, and armors, both original and remixed from two dozen of the best classic mods from the community
*Dark Souls game mechanics, including bonfire save points, soul currency and the dodge roll
*The mod enforces old-school adventure map rules, so if you can do it, it's okay to do it!
*Bearer Of The Curse Mode offers the ultimate Dark Souls experience, adding an Estus Flask and Cerulean Tear to your UI, prevents the use of healing potions and makes all weapons use different amounts of stamina

✅ DISCORD
Join our discord to discuss the mod and give feedback:

-Know how to code or sprite? We'd love more devs to join the team!
-Please share suggestions for improvement under #any-suggestions or #bug-reports.
-The changelogs can be found under #mod-changelog and #map-changelog.
-TSORC holds many secrets. If you have questions, post them to #map-questions or #mod-questions.
-Share videos of your playthrough in #tsorc-media.
-The mod has been made fully translatable through a localization file. If you're interested in making it more accessible to your fellow speakers, please ask MarfMaster for details.

⚠️ CROSS MOD COMPATIBILITY:
Highly Recommended QoL mods:
✅ AutoTrash
✅ Lights and Shadow
✅ Recipe Browser
✅ Terraria Ambience
✅ Magic Storage

Additional Supported Mods:
⬆️ Auto Reforge
⬆️ Boss Checklist
⬆️ Generally any mod that only does visual or audio tweaks

Unsupported Mods:
⛔ Any large content mod. Examples are Calamity, The Stars Above, Spirit, etc
⛔ Any mod that has QoL changes that we already include in our mod (Any accessory in vanity slots, max stack, permanent buffs, auto-use for all items, etc)
⛔ Balance-changing mods like LuiAFK, Fargos, AlchNPC, AntiSocial, WingSlot, etc
⛔ Any mod that changes vanilla boss AIs
⛔ Any mod that changes vanilla recipes or edits vanilla progression
⛔ Any mod that changes the behavior of respawning in multiplayer

Some mods interfere with the Adventure Map, but may be used if you're playing on a vanilla world:
⚠️ Basic Automated Mining
⚠️ No Biome Spread
⚠️ Ore Excavator
⚠️ Veinminer

*Create a new classic character named Red Cloud (for multiplayer, everyone should use a different name)

*On death, you will drop all your Dark Souls and have one chance to recover them. For a more forgiving experience, you can turn this off in the mod's Config options.

*The new dodge roll action with i-frames can be bound to any key in TModLoader's controller settings, under the mod section. (Left Alt by default. Left Shift is also recommended, with Auto Select bound to Left Alt.)

*In Bearer of the Curse Mode, your Estus Flask is bound to the Quick Heal key and the Cerulian Tear is tied to your Quick Mana key.

*Adventure Mode should stay checked in the TSORC mod config options to play with the custom story world.

*Multiplayer is supported for 4 players. Everyone should use a different name. Class diversity recommended. Post issues you find under #bug-reports. Thanks!

*Go to #tips in our Discord for all game hints

The game is fairly polished up to the end of the main story (defeating Attraidies). We recommend waiting to play this third chapter when we're out of beta, unless you'd like to be a part of the journey to 1.0.

The 0.15 update has just gotten out of a long beta period, due to a slowdown in the mod's development. We decided to release the update because it should massively improve the experience, even though it might contain issues we haven't been able to spot yet. We'll likely release a few patches after this, to address upcoming issues and introduce a small amount of content that is not quite finished yet.

We're looking for new team members to help us, as we're struggling to find time to keep updating this mod.
We still have big plans, but looking at it realistically, in the team's current state it's unlikely we'll ever reach 1.0, unless we can collect a few new team members willing to help us reach this. So if you want to see a full release become reality, come help us directly or spread the message to people who might be interested!

*Unique "Bearer of the Curse" difficulty mode, activated in-game
*Dodge roll action with iframes and stamina meter (bind it to any key via controller settings)
*Bonfires are used for save points, fast travel and inventory storage
*Companion music soundtrack updated with 67 total songs
*Dozens of scripted enemy events
*6 new end-game dungeons
*Mods ported from tConfig to TModLoader 1.4.4 for easy installation and updates
*Major tile, wall and sprite updates across the entire map utilizing Terraria 1.4 assets
*Added almost all weapons, armor, potions and accessories from vanilla 1.2-1.4.4
*Added all 1.2-1.4 vanilla bosses and mini-biomes (ice, desert, crimson, marble, beehive, granite)
*New/altered paths, shortcuts, and tweaks to several dungeons and areas
*Item rebalancing in almost all chests
*New enemies, revamped bosses, tons of new content, tons of polish and quality of life changes...
*And more! See the mile-long changelog for the map here and the tsorcRevamp mod here.

0. Download tModLoader from Steam: tModLoader on Steam

1. Subscribe to the mod via its Steam Workshop page: Steam Workshop::The Story of Red Cloud Revamped

2. On the main menu screen, click the text prompt to download the Music Mod.

3. Create a new character named Red Cloud.

4. On the world selection screen, select "The Story of Red Cloud." Then play!

We're looking for spriters, coders, and players interested in providing feedback and suggestions.
Join via our Discord server.

"This is an AMAZING game. It's one of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played. Nothing since Castlevania: DoS and Metroid Fusion kept me this entertained. I've been lost in hours from playing this game." - Xcyper33

"Your mod is absolutely astounding. I've been playing it for a few days now and am definitely looking forward to your next update! The amount of work and effort put forth in this project really shows, and the result is nothing short of spectacular." - Clutch

"Story of Red Cloud is something I consider to be the best mod-custom map combo in the history of Terraria." - Azure Alph

"This is literally the best map I've played for Terraria. It feels like a game on its own." - Ziggerath

"I've always been a huge fan of TSORC (6+ completions)" - Boooo

"You did an amazing job with this map and mod, making something so freaking good. Words can't describe how much I enjoyed it the first time, and how glad I am that it exists. The custom soundtrack got me to watch Princess Mononoke, one of my new favorite movies, and your mod convinced me to try [Legend of Zelda] and [Dark Souls], which are now some of my favorite games too." - Kariemelhanan000

"Your adventure map brought me a lot of joy even though I couldn't beat the final boss and thus not enter superhardmode." - Melly the WM

"The Story Of Red Cloud is one of the most impressive and ambitious mods to be released so far... the world [is] is well designed, and the many dungeons are complex, multi-layered things with plenty of switches, mechanisms, traps, blind drops and obstacles." - Dominic Tarason, IndieGameMag.com

ADVENTURE MAP
Tim Hjersted aka Vibrent / The ENTIRE map!

MOD REVAMP (tModloader Edition)
Zeodexic / programmer
Chroma Equinox / programmer + spriter
RecursiveCollapse / programmer
Vibrent / programmer + sprite editor
MarfMasterofDesaster / programmer + testing
NephilimDeath / spriter + translator
JOI3 / spriter
Fezzy Draws / spriter
W1k / coding help and extensive content contributions
RustySlave / programmer + translator
chessbergers1234 / spriter
RAWTHORN / spriter
stinky_lizard / programmer
Logar / spriter
Raisin / spriter
Thornstromb / programmer
HakureiYoru / translator
urgivhnsd / translator
kirill / translator
JayTeff / programmer
Linklight2 / programmer
Blasfah / spriting
Frous / spriting + beta testing
Mddznyan / spriting
Articulo / sprites from Dark Souls Vanity
Maxisi / programmer
qsab101 / Seath sprite
Hugekraken / Detonation Signal sprite
ヨーグルト / Interstellar Vessel sprite
Julian/Jbug / Challenger's Glove sprite
Indigo / Plasma Whirlwind item sprite
Zane Little / Theremin sound effects
Anilmky -Juno- / Sunset Quasar sprite
BlazeDayzYT / Healing Dusk Crown Ring sprite
Sapharan / two enemies
mratitherat / Radiant Strand and Sundered Moon sprites
LuckyLuke / Enchanted Moon Charm, Upgraded Mirror, and Oil Pot sprites

ORIGINAL MOD (tConfig Edition)
Tim Hjersted aka Vibrent / Mod Director + New content + Mod Remixing & Compiling
Yoraiz0r / Dark Souls + Dual Wielding + More Dark Souls features
Omnir / Omnir's Mod
W1k / W1k's Mod + help
Draykon / Dark Souls + Curtain of Bullets, Endgame
Surfpup / No mining or placing tiles code
Obsidian54 / Obsidian's Mod
blahblahbal et al / Avalon Mod
VortexJ / Unobtanium
Zoodletec / Necro Pack
Kujulo / Kujulo's Mod DLC
Dogsonofawolf / NPCs
Reborn Team / Reborn Mod
Phlebas / Debuffs code
FatObeseBird / League of Legends
NerdyBoy, Reactorcore / Alchemistry
PolarBMD / Terraria_
Delra / Monster Hunter Mod
KaneStaff / Zelda Mod
FrosTr / FrosTr's Misc Pack
Scooterboot9697 / Metroid Mod
Pwnager / Empowered Endgame
SuperWeegee1 / Dream (Also credit Dream Team)
Mitchellex / WululuAcheld / Phoenix Down & Bookmarks
Wooren / Sprites
Sapharan / Legend of Sapharan
Flashkirby99 / Flashkirby's Weapons Mod
Zero-Exodus/Omnir / Dark,Blood,Crystal Knights, Dark Cloud Sprites
Heartstone25 / Covenant of Artorias blood moon code
Ace the Best / Ace The Best's Final Fantasy Modification
Solenix / Vertigo Elemental
MiraiMai / Duel Wielding mod aka Mainslot-0
Eikester / Made Game Launcher and improved tConfig installation

1.1 MOD UPDATE CONTRIBUTORS
Tim Hjersted / Update director + new content and polish
Grox The Great / coding help
Zoodletech / content + sprites
Avalon mod team / coding help
Wooren / sprites
Omnir / content + coding help
Yorai / coding help
Blahblahbal / coding help
Flashkirby99 / mod content
Zero-Exodus / sprites
Scooterboot and W1k / Serris boss
Whale Cancer / sprites
Ace the Best / sprites
Sapharan / select Legend of Sapharan content
Heartstone25 / coding help
Phlebas / debuff code
Solenix / select Vertigo Elemental content

TCONFIG EDITION SPECIAL THANKS
*Yoraizor: responsible for virtually all of the unique features related to the Dark Souls aspects of the mod and has always been super helpful
*Binary Construct: made the Tedit map editing program - couldn't have made the map without it
*Surfpup: made tConfig - would have never attempted to get into modding without tconfig's added accessibility
*W1k: helped me a ton with mod questions
*Draykon: made the initial Dark Souls mechanic for the mod in like 3 hours!
*Diggaroo, Zebri and Triangular Satellite: each made a great trailer for the mod
*Omnir: a ton of the mod content is from his Omnir mod - the guy just pumps out tons of quality work
*Yoraizor: did I mention how helpful he's been? Can't thank him enough for helping me all the times I've been stumped by a mod issue
*Eikester: made Game Launcher and improved tConfig installation
*Surfpup: again for updating tConfig to version 0.36, making the original TSORC playable again in 2018!

CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK (tsorcMusic.tmod)
This is the music soundtrack for The Story of Red Cloud, compiled and audio-mixed by Vibrent (updated for TmodLoader & Terraria 1.4.4). All credit and thanks for these songs go to the original composers and remixers and are used here under Fair Use.

SONG CREDITS
Titles in "". Author credit in ().

Boss 1 / "Dark Souls 3: Ludex Gundyr" (Tsukasa Saitoh / From Software)

Boss 2 / "Battle of Stoicism" (Motoi Sakuraba / From Software)

Boss 3 / "Dark Souls 3: Abyss Watchers" (From Software)

Boss 4 / "Bloodborne: The First Hunter" (From Software)

Boss 5 / "Dark Souls 3: Slave Knight Gael" (From Software)

Boss 6 / "Dark Souls: Knight Artorias" (From Software)

Boss 7 / "Dark Souls 2: Sir Alonne" (From Software)

Boss 8 / "Elden Ring: Starscourge Radahn" (From Software)

Boss 9 / "Elden Ring: Mohg, Lord of Blood" (From Software)

Boss 10 / "Elden Ring: Regal Ancestor" (From Software)

Boss 11 / "Elden Ring: Morgot, the Omen King" (From Software)

Boss 12 / "Elden Ring: Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon" (From Software)

Boss 13 / "Elden Ring: Lords Apparition" (From Software)

Boss 14 / "Elden Ring: Godskin Apostles" (From Software)

Boss 15 / "Elden Ring: Death's Kindred" (From Software)

Boss 16 / "Elden Ring: Fire Giant" (From Software)

Boss 17 / "Elden Ring: Beast Clergyman" (From Software)

Boss18 / "Dark Souls: Pinwheel" (From Software)

Boss19 / "Elden Ring: Melania" (From Software)

Catacombs / "Elden Ring: Catacombs (Yuka Kitamura - From Software)

Cavern / "Metroid Prime 2 - Torvus Bog Entrance" (Kenji Yamamoto)

Corruption / Dark Souls Abyss ambient sounds (From Software) + "Hive Tunnel - Metroid Prime 2" (Nintendo)

Crimson / "Super Metroid: Crateria Zebes Planetfall (Interior)" (The Blake Robinson Synthetic Orchestra)

Dark Tower / "Elden Ring: Divine Tower" (From Software)

Desert / "World of Warcraft: Desert Theme" (Blizzard Entertainment)

Dungeon / Ocarina of Time - Spirit Temple Reorchestrated / Majora's Mask - Stone Tower Temple Reorchestrated (ZREO)

Eerie / "Elden Ring: Prison Town" (From Software)

FirelinkShrine / "Dark Souls: Fire Link Shrine" (From Software, reorchestrated by Pontus Hultgren Music)

Forgotten City / "Elden Ring: Eternal City" (From Software)

God-DevouringSerpent / "Elden Ring: God-Devouring Serpent" (From Software)

GreatUndergroundRivers / "Elden Ring: Great Underground Rivers" (From Software)

Gwyn / "Dark Souls: Gwyn" (From Software)

Hallow / "Elden Ring: Altus_Plateau" (From Software)

Hallow (OLD) / "Skyward Sword - Skyview Temple Reorchestrated" (ZREO)

Jungle / "Ocarina of Time - Fire Temple Reorchestrated" (ZREO)

MetroidUndergroundDepths / "Super Metroid: Underground Depths"(Original by Nintendo, Remix/cover by Pontus Hultgren Music)

Mushrooms / "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Goddess Mission" (Hajime Wakai, Shibo Fujii, Mahito Yokota, Takeshi Hama, Koji Kondo)

Night / "Skyward Sword - Separation" (Nintendo) / "Skyward Sword - Sealed Temple" (Nintendo)

Ocean / "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Sailing the Sand Sea"(Hajime Wakai, Shiho Fujii) mixed with desert wind sounds

Old One's Tree / "Elden Ring: Song of Honor" (From Software)

Opening / "Elden Ring: Opening" (From Software)

Overworld Day / "World of Warcraft: Elwynn Forest" (Blizzard Entertainment)

Rain / "Faron Woods" (ZREO)

Sandstorm / "Elden Ring: Black Knives" (From Software)

Sky Temple / "Elden Ring: Lyndell Capital" (From Software)

Tunnels / "Elden Ring: Tunnels" (Yuka Kitamura - From Software)

Space / "Chozo Statue Awakens" (The Blake Robinson Synthetic Orchestra)

Pillars / "Dark Souls - The Ancient Dragon" (From Software)

Underground / "Ocarina of Time - Forest Temple Reorchestrated" (ZREO)

Underground Corruption / "Twilight Princess - Arbiters Grounds" (Nintendo)

Underground Desert / "Desert Temple - Minecraft Dungeons" (Johan Johnson)

Underground Eerie / "Elden Ring: Volcano Manor" (From Software)

Underground Jungle / "World of Warcraft: Stranglethorn Vale" (Blizzard Entertainment)

Underground Hallow / "Elden Ring: Liurnia of the Lakes" (From Software)

Underground Hallow (OLD) / "The Minish Cap - Temple of Droplets Reorchestrated" (ZREO) / "Ocarina of Time - Water

Temple Reorchestrated" (ZREO) / "Oracle of Ages - Nayru's Song Reorchestrated" (ZREO)

Underground Mushrooms / "Ocarina of Time - Temple of Time" (ZREO)

Snow / "Dark Souls: Crystal Caves Ambient Sounds" (From Software)

Underground Snow / "Metroid Prime 2: Torvus Bog Subterranean Theme" (Kenji Yamamoto)

Underworld / "Elden Ring: Mr Gelmir" (From Software)

Village Day / "Dark Souls: Main OST" (From Software)

Village Night / "Dark Souls 2: Majula" (From Software)

Water Temple / "Elden Ring: Consecrated Snowfield" (From Software)

Wyvern Mage Fortress / "Elden Ring: Academy of Raya Lucaria" (From Software)

ZREO = Zelda Reorchestrated: Home - ZREO: Second Quest
Pontus Hultgren Music: https://www.youtube.com/@PontusHultgren

Mixed in as transitions in certain songs
"Crickets" (Echoes of Nature album by American Wilds)

Last edited:
I played through this map/mod back when it first came out nearly ten years ago and it blew me away how good it was. So much effort went in to designing the map, filling it with detail, all the clever ways of gating progress and balancing out the progression path to make it satisfying. Honestly it's genuinely one of the best ways to experience Terraria.

I've been playing this revamped version over the past couple weeks and not only does it maintain that original magic, the way it incorporates the content added since the first version (made for Terraria 1.1!) all the way up to 1.3.5 is really cool. At no point did it feel dated, it manages to still feel fresh and I'm really loving it.

All in all, the team has done some incredible work not only porting but improving the original project. 10/10

I can't describe in words how thrilled I was to see it. All I can say is that I will be playing him in the next new flow

Just popping in to update the main page and share the sweet trailer GitGudWO made for the mod a little while ago:

Also gotta give a shout-out to BaumProductions who legit made some narrated cinematic moments out of the mod at several junctures in their multi-part series.

Pretty awesome. :D Although I absolutely do not condone the voice acting used for "Aaron: the Guide" lol

Back
Top Bottom