Is this a good idea?

• Meh... I've seen better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's the worst thing ever!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AnonymousRat1934901

Official Terrarian
The swamp is my first alternative biome suggestion. Just a disclaimer... I'm terrible at making sprites.

When entering the swamp biome, you will realize that it is a dark and gloomy place. It is full of fog and deadly enemies. The grass is a dark color. The water looks disgusting, and covers most of the biome.
Swamp Biome.png

POSSIBLE MUSIC

Blocks
Swamp Grass.png

Spawns on the surface. Makes a squishy sound when stepped on. In expert mode, it gives you a 1% movement speed decrease. When submerged in water, the color darkens.
mud.png

Spawns under the surface. Has a chance to grow algae.
Organic Matter.png

Found in the bottom of lakes. Looks like mud, but full of strange skeletons.
Can be put in the extractinator to be turned into many things, such as sturdy fossils, swamp grass seeds, bones, and a few copper coins (or silver, if you'e lucky)
Swamp Water.gif

Unlike other biomes, this one has its own type of liquid. It moves a bit faster than honey, but is still a lot slower than water.

Only the top 2 layers of water are see-through, so it's recommended to stay away, so a piranha doesn't eat you.

Expert Mode Only : Players in it get the "slow" debuff, and take damage if they're whole body is underwater.
Swamp Tree.png
Swamp trees look dead, but some still have a few leaves left on their branches. They are only found in water, and have huge roots that spread all around.

Saplings can form naturally if there is swamp water that has swamp grass under it. They can be grown by players by placing an acorn into swamp water OR regular water that is in a swamp biome.
Swamp Rocks.png

All stone in the biome is replaced with Swamp Stone. It is just an aesthetic change.

Monsters

Swamp Slime.png

HP : 65
DEF : 6
DMG : 20
Replaces jungle slimes. Slows down the player and might poison them.
Just a normal Piranha
Swamp Devourer.png
HP : 70
DEF : 12
DMG : 30
Replaces Snatchers
Have 50% knockback resistance (snatchers have 100%)
Swamp Bat.png

HP:40
DEF:6
DMG:23
Replaces Jungle Bats
Mosquito.png

HP : 80
DEF : 12
DMG : 40 (melee)
Replaces Hornets. Mosquitos have more HP and melee damage, but doesn't have a ranged attack.
Swamp Crawler.png

Has same stats as Jungle Creeper, just a retexture.
No sprite yet...
Found in hardmode jungle. Replaces turtle, but can also swim and is much bigger. 5% chance to drop a crocodile scale (turtle shell equivalent) .
Suspicous Swamp Plant.png

HP : 300
DEF : 30
DMG : 100
Replaces Angry Trappers. However, these can only survive if their head and over 50% of the stem is submerged in water.
No sprite yet...
A hardmode equivalent to the piranha. Has an attack like no other enemy. It can swallow the player, dealing melee damage, and also giving them the suffocation debuff. It has a 30% chance to give poison, a %20 chance to give the player venom, and a 50% chance to not affect the player at all.
Hardmode only!
Creature of the Depth.gif

If you're jumping over a deep swamp lake, or walking across a bridge made of platforms, these might jump out of the water and swallow you. You stay in its mouth for 3-5 seconds, while it drags you to the bottom of the swamp. Not only do they give you the venom debuff, but you have to escape the water before you drown. These can be deadly if you have low HP, or no flippers / wings to escape the water.

By the way, it's whole body is never shown. The truth is, this is actually the swamp itself.
Toxic Zombie.png

A stronger version of the zombie that only spawns in the swamp. He has more health and defense. Despite having more health, his melee attacks are weak. Instead, gives you poison (or venom if you're in hardmode)

ITEMS
Used to make crocodile armor.
Alternative of stingers. Dropped from mosquitoes
Alternative of Jungle Spores. Found in the underground swamp.
Alternative of Vine. Dropped from Swamp Devourers.
Crafted from twigs, swamp flowers, and vials of venom. It is a ranger set.
Alternative of Lihzard Power Cell. Dropped from lihzards and basilisks, or found in lihzard chests.
A dark brownish gray wood

The Eye of the Swamp (alternate plantera)
The Eye of the Swamp.gif

He has 4 vines that attach to the walls of the underground swamp. He has 2 other vines that he use as claws. In both forms he creates many Swamp Devourers and one or two Suspicous Swamp Plants
HP : 25000
DMG : Laser = 120, Claws = 130, Melee = 100 (first form) / 150 (second form) Vines =
DEF : 40
KBR : 100%[\SPOILER]
In his first phase, he starts shooting lasers out of his eye. They are slower than most lasers, though. He also tries to charge towards the player. He tries his best to dodge attacks, and is slower than most bosses. He can NOT travel through walls.
His second phase is much more dangerous. Over time, parts of the plant fall off, lowering his defense by 4. This can happen up to 6 times. However, he gets 6 more vines. His claws also grow to 3 times the size, and grab the player. He can shoot cursed flames out of all of the holes in his body, besides the one in the middle.

Temple of Time (Jungle temple alternative)
Temple of Time.png

Blocks
Darkstone Bricks.png

Despite being a few million years old, they are still intact with just a bit of plant growth. They appear to have had changed from a dark brown color to a green-blue color. This may have happened when an excess amount of water and organic matter was introduced into the biome.
Altar of Time.png

An ancient altar built a few million years ago. Despite being covered with plants and stained a green-blue color, it might still work if a power cell is put inside.

Enemies
These seem to be extremely old. They have evolved over time to be able to change colors, and are much stronger.
These snakes are huge and deadly. There are skeletons found to show that they were once much smaller, had wings, and were very similar to snakes in the real world.
Golem.png

This monster made of Ancient Bricks seems to have became a lot stronger. It has two ancient arms, but also some arms that must have developed in the past 10,000 years. Having four arms will make him very deadly. However, over time the bricks he was made out of have seemed to have gotten a lot weaker. This will result in less defense, and possibly less health.

Last edited:
Excellent sprites! However, I don't think some of the "slowdown" that occurs within the water and the swamp grass is called for, it should be just like normal water and grass.

Excellent sprites! However, I don't think some of the "slowdown" that occurs within the water and the swamp grass is called for, it should be just like normal water and grass.
Yeah, this would make the jungle a bit easier. I'll completely remove the slowdown on grass, and make it expert mode only with the water (in expert mode, snow water slows you down)

Seems decently put together, but the sprites could use some work. First of all, the blue and green coloring on some of the enemies doesn't really work too well. I'd say stick with mostly just greens, and keep them pale. Secondly, there's a LOT of 1x1 pixels, which clashes really hard with Terraria's artstyle. With Terraria's sprites, every "pixel" is actually a 2x2 square of pixels, so all sprites should stick with that. Otherwise, I actually really like the premises of this!

Seems decently put together, but the sprites could use some work. First of all, the blue and green coloring on some of the enemies doesn't really work too well. I'd say stick with mostly just greens, and keep them pale. Secondly, there's a LOT of 1x1 pixels, which clashes really hard with Terraria's artstyle. With Terraria's sprites, every "pixel" is actually a 2x2 square of pixels, so all sprites should stick with that. Otherwise, I actually really like the premises of this!
Yeah, I noticed that myself with the mosquito and the eye of the swamp. The Eye of the Swamp needs a lot of improvement, especially in the first form. But with the organic matter, I had to make the skeletons small, because otherwise it looked ugly.

Also, read the disclaimer, "I'm terrible at making sprites". It's kind of an exaggeration, but I'm still not that good.

I like the general idea you've got here, but I feel like it shares too much content with the Jungle to be very distinct as an alternative. Using the Corruption and the Crimson as an example, the only remotely similar enemy shared between the two is the Eater of Souls and the Crimera. And even those are thematically different.

Overall, this kind of creates a thematic effect that isn't very distinctively "swamp-like," since it takes so much from the pre-established Jungle aesthetic. This isn't necessarily a criticism of your sprites or anything, just the general tone I'm getting from your suggestion.

What I usually do when I'm making an alternate is brainstorm a bunch of content that I generally associate with the theme I'm trying to build (in this case, things like bloodsucking leeches, disgusting bog monsters, gaseous swamp ghosts, will o' wisps, mosquitoes, etc.) Then I try and adapt this content to mirror the alternate biome. It seems like you did the opposite here, taking pre-established Jungle content and attempting to adapt it to be swamp-like.

This is just a personal grievance, though. Otherwise, this is pretty decent on its own.

@O_Nothing
I like the general idea you've got here, but I feel like it shares too much content with the Jungle to be very distinct as an alternative. Using the Corruption and the Crimson as an example, the only remotely similar enemy shared between the two is the Eater of Souls and the Crimera. And even those are thematically different.

Overall, this kind of creates a thematic effect that isn't very distinctively "swamp-like," since it takes so much from the pre-established Jungle aesthetic. This isn't necessarily a criticism of your sprites or anything, just the general tone I'm getting from your suggestion.

What I usually do when I'm making an alternate is brainstorm a bunch of content that I generally associate with the theme I'm trying to build (in this case, things like bloodsucking leeches, disgusting bog monsters, gaseous swamp ghosts, will o' wisps, mosquitoes, etc.) Then I try and adapt this content to mirror the alternate biome. It seems like you did the opposite here, taking pre-established Jungle content and attempting to adapt it to be swamp-like.

This is just a personal grievance, though. Otherwise, this is pretty decent on its own.
I’m trying to kind of make it like the future of the jungle, like a great amount of water fell into it at once and killed most of the creatures. This made the water disgusting, and mutated some of the creatures. The lihzahrd temple is flooded, the golem is eroded, and the flying snakes become huge basilisk. Plantera evolved into a terrifying creature with an eye, to help it hunt better. The sprites are still work in progress, though.

I guess I didn’t really make this clear.

Edit : Leeches instead of piranhas? That might be good. Also, I was trying to make a swamp zombie, but the closest I got to was the toxic zombie. Also, I was totally going to add a ghost, but I’m not sure how to make the sprite for it.

I really like this idea. I do think it's odd to create a whole new liquid just for this biome though I suppose for it's unique properties it would have to be new.

this is ammazing! i love the temple of time. u realize its the same name of the temple of time in ocarina of time, right? :D

Love the idea! I do think the sprites need a bit of work but I think this could work! A suggestion maybe worlds could be swamp or jungle (like crimson or corruption) so it doesn’t replace the jungle altogether.

and the good thing is there is still golem! and maybe the eye of the jungle drops different things then plantera! and maybe golem isn't golem, but decayed golem, and he drops different items! redigit, we NEED this!

Back
Top Bottom