NPCs & Enemies The Tax Collector Should be Buffed

DoofusNugget

Skeletron
I love most of the NPCs, but looking back on the most "useless" one (at least to me), it has to be the Tax Collector sadly. I like the idea of the Tax Collector, it's a unique concept, but I think it's unbalanced compared to the rest of the game.

Lets see, you get the Tax Collector in the Underworld just after beating the Wall of Flesh, and you can get up to 8-10 gold coins if you wait for his taxes to build up. Sounds like a good supplement to your coins, but the problem is his relevance dwindles very quickly. At most you're going to get 10 gold coins after waiting a few days, but you could easily fight a couple bosses or do a pirate invasion to get much more coins in shorter time. The Tax Collector's value is even less in Expert and Master Mode, since the bosses and enemies drop more coins. And even at the late game, when you have all the NPCs and could get max happiness to get all 10 gold coins from the Tax Collector, why not just fight Golem or Moon Lord to get easily over 15 times the coins in much less time. By just progressing through the game you get more coins faster and get new items along the way.

I understand the Tax Collector is more of a supplement to the coins you collect, but I can't imagine anyone fussing over that they lost a great addition to the game if the Tax Collector was suddenly removed.

So, I have some suggestions to improve the Tax Collector's value to the game:

1. Buff the amount of coins he can hold at once. Or maybe his total coin storage can upgrade as you progress through the game. For example: 20 gold coins for post Wall of Flesh, 50 gold coins for post Mechanical Bosses, and 1 platinum coin for post Golem.

2. Add an option to adjust the tax you collect from the NPCs. Maybe increasing the tax you collect decreases happiness, and decreasing taxes increases NPC happiness.

I can agree with this, he becomes more obsolete as the game progresses, but free money is free money.

The cap unlocks per boss defeated sounds like the best option for buffing the tax collector or another option is to have his cap increase on a day by day basis? Possibly, 1-5 gold coin increase based on his happiness?

It actually surprised me he can't seem to hold more than like 11 gold coins, when the coin meter or whatever that appears when you ask him to give you the money shows Xplat Xgold Xsilver X copper coins, which I thought would suggest he can actually store money up to platinum...

He definitely needs to be able to hold more money to stay relevant, but I don't think adjustable tax rates would work because when your ready to go on a shopping spree you would just lower the rate to boost happiness, then raise it back afterwards.
Perhaps have it so the the Tax Collector gains a sudden influx of cash under certain circumstances, like the completion of invasion events. Also another way to implement the adjustable taxes idea could be to have taxes scale with the size of NPC housing, up to a limit of course.

The Tax Collector should have a base maximum of 10 gold and increase the cap by 10 gold for every boss you defeat after WoF.
Twins
Destroyer
Prime
Slime Queen
Plantera
Golem
Empress
Duke
Moon Lord
Ice Queen
Pumpking
Betsy
Making the maximum end game cap have 1 Platinum and 30 Gold.
And maybe according to the happiness level of all the NPCs combined there would be a different rate for how fast the money he collects accumulates.

Do you want to know what is frustrating? Getting 5 golds in a Hardmode Master Mode world.
He surelly needs a buff on his pockets based on game mode too.
The Nurse got price buff, why he shouldn't get too?

Back
Top Bottom