Official The TCF 1st Anniversary Contest Entry Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres my entry in the ART catagory
5OfdfS9.png

Here's my entry.
kc05g8.jpg
So nothing really happens like this in game, but I thought it be a neat idea to think of the inhabitants of Terraria protecting their world from the Lunar invaders. In this case the player would simply be a third force since both factions are still hostile to the player, though the Terrarian enemies would consider the invaders a bigger priority since they seem like the larger threat.

Last edited:
Here's my entry for the screenshot category, I had to combine two snapshots, because taking a snapshot of the whole build kept crashing my game :3
The image is quite large, and I did my best to combine the images >.<
I call the build, The Crystal Tower ^_^

a73VZPg.png

Last edited:
Entry to the Art category

3FcTV6L.jpg
The background of this picture is how I see the fight with the cultists.
The lunatic is such a significant and important character, as he is your gateway to the end-gear and boss.
To me, the Lunatic fight was the most memorable of them all, partly because of how challenging it was for me, as well as how just plain cool it all was with shooting gems, thunderbolts and orbs hurled at the player. But what stood out the most were the summoning og the Phantasm Dragon. If he were to summon the dragon, it could potentially be a gamechanger for the worst. I love it's design and thought it to be the Lunatic's signature move, which is why I wanted to make a tribute to just that.
I wanted to capture how it looks like if you let him summon his dragon in expert mode -- You pretty much should just go lie down in a ditch and hope it'll be a swift and painless death.

Last edited:
I've written a story I'd like to submit to the Literature/Writing category.

Mystical fumes escaped from the sunken eyes of the Lunatic Cultist. I slid my brilliant blade out from the fatal wound I’ve inflicted upon my enemy, and pushed aside the carcass that I once believed threatened the safety of my world. But I never anticipated the consequence of such a powerful entity suddenly becoming lost. It soon became apparent that the slaughter I carried out started something terrible. The skies above boomed with an unreal glow of otherworldly energy. A collage of colors emanated towards every side of me, originating from four cosmic structures that must have appeared as a result of my fateful duel.

These four tower like structures seemed almost biological…alive. They brought with them an entire new environment. What seemed to be magma or fire gushed from one tower, another had unrivaled streaks of lightning shoot through the sky. Razors of stardust cut through space as commanded by the third tower, and cosmic waves pulsed from the forth. But as a moment went by, it became evident as to what they were. Terrible, threatening creatures started poured from the four cosmic chambers. Warriors from outside space and time rode forward from the towers they descended from.

I looked behind me to view the two armies that were here prior the death of the Lunatic Cultist. One of the armies were of uniform cultists that supported a once supreme ruler, the one I had slain. There were defending their reign. The other was comprised of many races and species that had geared together to overthrow the maniacal rule that was forced upon us by the Lunatic Cultist. The two rival armies turned away from each other as they saw the horde of creatures advance. This was the start of absolute calamity as the two earthly armies unified as one and clashed against the new celestial attackers.

Carnage enveloped the battlefield. The aliens struck through the defending army. Our numbers were very clearly dwindling. There was only a slim chance that we could win over this obstacle, but how? I targeted one of the Celestial Towers, the one that seemed to encase the essence of the sun. If destroyed, wouldn’t that help cease the stream of enemies?

I dashed toward the fiery embodiment of death. Circling around and avoiding most of the chaos, I gripped my golden and green blade, readying it for an astounding strike. Before I could reach the tower, I was impacted in the chest by what seemed to be a boulder. The boulder unraveled and exposed itself as a large stone creature, with flares of ember bursting out of its eyes. It extended its powerful arm and rushed it towards me. I rolled away as it shattered the ground, and thrusted my whole body forward and focused my sword. Only a moment later did the creature fall victim my blade as I thrusted it forward.

I continued to work my way to the Solar Tower. A verity of creatures challenged my advances, each one falling to the cunning blade that I wielded. I finally arrived at the site of the colossal chamber. I ran and stabbed the side of it, then dragged myself downwards ripping a hole into the side. A spectrum of color inflexed from the tear. I continued to tarnish the otherworldly entities. As I brought the final blow down on the Solar Tower, the earthly army caught wind of the broken Solar Tower and targeted the remainders.

As the final tower collapsed in a brilliant display of light, explosions of dust littered the battlefield. The remains of the cosmic assailants covered the ground. Fighting has ceased. Weaponry fell to the ground and the soldiers let out a universal sigh. Then silence. Eerie, echoless silence slid through the mind. Nothing moved; time seemed to be at a standstill. There was no noise, no movement. It was calm, but what did it precede?

An astounding blaze of coruscation shot through my eyes. An egregious howl followed suit, overwhelming my senses and disorienting me. Regaining my footing and vision, I was horrified to witness the demon that brought itself forward. I could feel how the creature radiated almost absolute power, its presence was even withering the surrounding landscape. The behemoth levitated above the crimson ground. It crept forward with its disfigured body. The bizarre monster was humanoid, but without its lower half. Tentacles were intertwined with its face. Its eyes had the power of omniscience.

The radiance of its power burned away at my skin. The pounding of its beating heart was deafening. It was a terrifying extravagance. It lifted its hand, revealing an eye embedded in the palm. I felt it start to erase my existence – it was absorbing my power, my very being. I was helpless. The Moon Lord unleashed a blast of energy from its palm that tore through space and time. As the very fabric of my existence was ripped apart, I had a single, final thought.

“Red pls nerf.”

I made this at 2am so hopefully this isn't too abysmal

The first time I engaged in battle with the final bosses of the game, I was absolutely blown away (literally by the Moon Lord). Everything about it was incredible and so well done.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen the sky run red with the blood of the otherworldly?

I have. It’s rather boring, really. Plus, it’s virtually impossible to wash out of your clothes.

I was doing the usual hero stuff, you know, like flying around, placing walls, bleeding, the usual, when I saw this thing. It wasn’t a large thing, but it was a very weird one. It looked a bit like those things they put on top of those large metal towers to make your phone go 'bip'. So I got out my Cell Phone and tried to make it go 'bip', which it wouldn’t. There was a 'bleep', though. Only it wasn’t coming from my phone. It was coming from the thing.

So the green thing (come to mention it, I never mentioned it was green, although it’s rather relevant for this sentence, so yes, it was green) stopped being green and turned red. Then it went away. At first I thought it was because I didn’t pay my phone license fee (which, to be fair, I don’t), but I quickly ditched the connection between this thing and my phone because as soon as it was gone, all these... well, I can’t use the term ‘thing’ for these things as well, so I’ll have to make up another one... I’ll just call them Neville. So yeah, suddenly the sky was full of Nevilles, and from these Nevilles came down... I have to invent another term now, don’t I? I’m not going to do that for every single one of them, so I’ll just call them all Edwin, alright?

So, to recap, from the Nevilles came down all these Edwins, which were trying to kill Eve (that’s me, by the way. Nice to meet you). There were small, grey Edwins, but also large, hulking, three-legged Edwins , and also a bunch of Edwins with little suits, but the encompassing trend seemed to be that they all had an affinity with lasers, and an affinity with firing those lasers in my general direction, which I considered to be an infringement of my personal space, property, and health, so I responded in kind (or equally unkind, if you will).

Now, here I was, having a blast blasting the blasted bastards, when suddenly a huge Neville showed up. It was different from the other Nevilles in that it appeared to be a combat Neville as opposed to a transport Neville, which I deduced from three observations:

1. It was trying to kill me.

2. It was trying really hard.

3. It almost succeeded a few times.

Quickly ascending my list of priorities, I attempted to destroy the Neville, which was rather difficult because the Edwins didn't respect one-on-one combat (which, to be fair again, neither did I), so I had to resort to indirect combat. You see, I once found this staff in the Dungeon that summons an ice dragon called David (that’s not what he’s inherently called, that’s just what I call him). He has the loveable quality of spitting on everything that doesn’t like me, while being invincible himself (although he does tend to melt a bit in the desert). So I hid in my cellar while planting David on top of my roof, where he did a really good job of shooting the Neville’s armaments to bits. After it had lost both turrets and both cannons (after mere hours), I leapt to the opportunity to finish it off, which in hindsight wasn’t such a great idea after all because it still had a fairly powerful laser to its disposal, which managed to singe all the hair on the right side of my face (including my nose hair, so ever since I’ve had the smell of charred keratin in my right nostril). Dodging further strikes from the Neville, I Uzi’d whatever remained of it to the moon and back (as it presumably had come from the moon, or at least somewhere extraterrarial, so simply sending it back would have been rather pointless). In a fashion similar to my braid, it went up in flames, dropping its keys in the process for reasons still unknown to me.

The loss of this Neville seemed to severely demoralise the remaining Edwins, as the other Nevilles left in a hurry, and as I mopped up the remainder of the Edwins, no new ones took their place. Clearing up the mess they left behind, which included limbs, heads, and some artistic banners, I found a strange kind of plating, which I have to admit makes some brilliant furniture. For instance, I made this really cool blueish lamp for my bedside table, though I can’t leave it on for too long because the light makes me somewhat nauseous (and I also have a hunch it’s somehow inhibiting my hair growth, which I desperately need at the moment). I also made this awesome piano, which makes a really cool ‘woo’ sound, like when you put a ceiling fan in the bathtu-

Er, sorry about that, can’t remember how that sentence was going to end. I was writing this when, guess what, I saw another one of those 'bleep'-things. I think it saw me as well, because it turned red again, but I know better than to piss off those Edwins by breaking their stuff, so I just left it alone.

No, I don’t think I’ll be seeing any more Nevilles anytime soon.

Last edited:
Title: Tale of Sand & Shadow
Category: Art

fJeqfha.jpg

Piece Details:
  • Depicts my favorite 1.3 feature; The Underground Desert
  • The original file is 25x40 (7000px x 12000px) and is available in CMYK @ 300dpi
  • The piece took 80+ hours to complete
  • Was made entirely in Adobe Photoshop by hand; no outside textures!

My entry for the Writing Category:
Their arrival was still fresh,
They mindlessly beat at the door,
Hungry for my succulent flesh,
I hid till they knocked no more.

These zombies are scary,
Much more powerful than before,
They try to eat poor Ery,
Fear gripping me to the core.

Hidden behind a safe wall,
Swinging at them through a gap,
Something new made me stall,
Zombies with reach, oh crap.

Retreating deeper inside,
Daring not to tempt fate,
For much time I did bide,
Till morn ended my wait.

The troubles did not end,
As rain began to fall,
My belief I did suspend,
For this was not rain at all.

Slimes fell from the sky,
Landing this way and that.
"Oh no, oh crap" I cry,
As the slimes all go splat.

I reached for my best defense,
My trusty stack of platform.
I did the only thing that made sense,
Build a bridge to protect from the swarm.

From beneath the bridge I swung,
Relentlessly slaughtering slime.
What happened next made me bite my tongue,
The king had come to punish my crime.

Quickly equipping my knives,
I fought with the king.
Frantically avoiding his dives
My brain made a ding.

I threw up a line of rope,
hanging just high enough to tease.
It was to be my best hope,
A strategy full of cheese.

A moments relief as the king is slain
An interesting bag lay on the floor.
A small reward to keep me sane.
I drop down to collect my score.

Within the bag is a shiny new toy
A powerful new trinket for me to wear
So that no longer will slimes annoy.
However a new threat begins to stare.

Night has fallen and the air is cold,
I shiver, feeling a powerful presence
A roar is heard, causing fear to take hold
Originating from an Eye most immense.

It looks the same as it usually does,
But I know to expect some new tricks.
I had heard from some of the buzz,
That it had new moves added in the mix.

Warily I fought, watching for signs
It finally snapped and rushed at me
Dashing quickly along straight lines
Leaving very little space to flee.

Almost lost the fight in shame,
But my luck was quite superb.
Panicking and swinging without aim,
A lucky hit sent it to the curb.

Very fun I found it,
The new expert mode.
I continued to commit,
To this new long road.

Of challenges anew,
and much variation.
Many new things to accrue,
Extending my play's duration.

ABAB Rhyme Scheme
72 lines
A poem about my adventures exploring early expert mode after the update.

Last edited:
Here's my entry for the writing section.

upload_2015-10-26_10-43-32.png

Elias scuffed his feet on the floor. The ground shook in response. He was standing in his house, looking into the mirror. His eyes were sunken, purple bags lined them. The last 24 hours had taken a toll on him, but he wouldn’t get to rest yet. Taking down the Celestial pillars had been tough, but he had a feeling that whatever was coming next would be harder.

The ground shook again, and colors seemed to fade, almost blacken. Then everything returned to normal. Whatever was causing these tremors had to be huge. As soon as he took it out, he doubted that he would have to worry about enemies again. He was pretty sure that this…. Thing…. Was as strong as the monsters got.

He examined his armor in the mirror. It was made out of mushrooms, which still made him smile. The fact that solid metal wasn’t as strong as a mushroom armor was pretty strange. Blue wings slowly flexed on his back. His new gun was holstered at his side. He had made it out of the essence of one of the pillars, and it was awesome. It fired bullets as fast as his older Mega Shark, but it did more damage and spat out the occasional homing rocket. If he combined that with chlorphyte bullets he could shred most enemies before they even got close.

He also had the Solar Eruption coiled at his waist. It was a flail, that seemed to be made entirely of fire. The light it produced created shifting shadows on the walls. The chain was covered in spikes that ripped through his enemies. It wasn’t as fast as the gun, but it was effective at close range. He would need it for this fight.

The world darkened again, this time for longer. An evil presence seemed to push down on everything, sucking the life and color out of every object in the room. As the darkness receded once again, Elias turned and walked to the teleporter in the corner of the room. He needed to be in the arena during the fight. He didn’t want his nice houses to be damaged. The teleported glowed invitingly, and he stepped on and punched the button on the wall with a satisfying click.

His vision was covered by yellow sparks of light, and he felt his body come apart, then rush across the world and reassemble somewhere else. At first he didn’t recognize where he was. His arena, normally filled with blue light, was almost colorless. The wood platforms were grey, and the stone was darker than normal. It seemed like it had no texture.... like a marble counter top.

A few words ran through Elias’s mind.

Impending Doom Approaches.

No. He shook the phrase out of his mind. He couldn’t afford to think like that. He had to win.

The nurse, Amy, poked her head out of the secret room they had built into the arena. It was stacked with healing supplies for those emergencies. He smiled back at her.

He had to win.

A couple more minutes passed. He rocked nervously back and forth, his hand near his gun. His entire body was tensed, ready for anything.

The world suddenly shifted, not quite shook, but shifted. Like a gradual movement downwards. An acrid smell filled the air. Light and color seemed to disappear, replaced only by darkness, and a looming figure.

It was huge. 100 feet tall, at least, if not taller. Its head had 5 eyes, and all but one of them were a solid teal color. Its mouth had teeth that resembled mandibles more than actual teeth. Tentacles dangled from his chin. The torso was cut off under the chest, and its ribcage jutted out of it. It had no legs, instead it just hovered there. The hands faced palm outwards, and it took Elias a second to realize why. It was because there were more eyes in the palms, and the eyes themselves were twice as tall as Elias was. Teal markings dotted the monsters face and chest. Even as Elias stood there, the deafening sound of it's breathing growled, echoing through the air.

Everything seemed to gravitate towards the giant creature. Light, color, and energy seemed to disappear into the black abyss of his mouth. Elias already felt drained. How could he hope to compete against this?!

He knew what he had thought earlier was right.

Impending Doom has Arrived.

A library made (primarily) of materials from a different world that holds the stories of all great adventurers.
My entry for the screenshot section. It's a little rubbish as I was pushed for time (I forgot this was a thing until last week).
Congrats to everyone else, especially the artists here, who probably spent a little more time and had a little more thought into their endeavours.

Screenshot (12).png
Screenshot (13).png

Here is my entry for the art section.
I did one with a filter and one without.
I drew a traditional drawing of a final battle of all the Cthulhus.
Unfortunately I did not have time to add in the Brain.
For my utensils I used Prismacolors and Copics.
I know its not the best and a little bit rushed but I'm happy either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom