Member-Run Contest The Terraria Vidya Game Art Off!

Peace Giant

Plantera
What's the Terraria Vidya Game Art-Off?
The answer is simple as hell, yo.

The Terraria Vidya Game Off is a monthly/bi-monthly community art competition. I got the idea from Domcing. Much like the old Creation Compendiums on TerrariaOnline, the competition is themed. Much like the Creation Compendium, anybody can submit their art. Whether it's sprites, digital, or traditional, it's all accepted here. The difference is that this is a competition, with winners. The goal is to give incentive for as many community members to express themselves artistically.

Naturally, the prize is vidyagames!

kdcROYP.png

Video games!
As I said, the competition will be either monthly or bi-monthly (once every other month), depending on the success of the idea. This is so I don't go completely bankrupt buying you ever-brilliant bozos brilliant vidyagames. There will be two games up for grabs each round, one each for the first two winners, with the first place winner getting priority pick. The games will follow the theme of the competition. These are the themes I'm planning as of now, with an idea or two for the games that come with them:
Round 1: Mechanical Mayhem; with the reward of METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE or TRANSISTOR
Round 2: Ominous Ocean; with the reward of SUNLESS SEA or BIOSHOCK
Round 3: Hammers and Broken Things; with the reward of BASTION
Round 4: Ghost and Other Such Spookiness; with the reward of F.E.A.R. or GRAVITY GHOST
Round 5: The Most Unreasonable Siege Engines In The Entire Goddamn Universe; with the reward of BESIEGE

Some of 'em only have one game offered right now, but at the end of the month there will be two to choose from. Other prizes will contain the occasional random game to random participants so noone feels altogether left out, braggings rights, and, of course, a badge with your name on it. Sweet, huh?

kdcROYP.png

But How Do I Draw?
When I said anybody can submit their art, I was serious. The point of this is to get as many Terrarians drawing as possible. Here's a few art resources for your perusal:
Jellyvampire's Bloom Like An Artist
Balduran's
Beginner's Sprite Tutorial

Sycra Yasin's Drawing - How to Get Started if You Haven't Drawn Before
Sycra Yasin's entire goddamn youtube channel
Proko's
entire goddamn youtube channel
Marc Brunet's entire goddamn youtube channel

I sincerely hope to see more people drawing here. Art is a great way to bring a community together.

kdcROYP.png

What Are The Specifics?

The rules for the competition are as follows.
RULES FOR COMPETING:
  • To compete, you have to have at least 25 posts on TCF.
  • You may only submit one piece of art per theme. (this means one full piece. for example, a set of sprites is allowed). It doesn't have to be Terraria related.
  • Both spriting and traditional/digital is allowed! As well as any other medium you can think of.
  • No vote brigading. Vote brigading is having people vote for you through external means. Like asking everyone on your art thread to vote for you without even cosnidering the other contestants.
  • The submissions must be new, no reusing old art!

RULES FOR VOTING:
  • You can vote on three submissions, maximum.
  • Anybody can vote. You don't have to be in the competition to vote.
  • You can't vote for the same person twice.
PRIZES:
  • Prizes will be given out either on GoG.com or Steam.
  • There will be two games up for grabs each round. The first place winner will get to choose their game first. The other game goes to the second place winner.
  • Any games donated to the competition will be given out to random non-winners! Contact me if you wanna donate to the good cause of art.
kdcROYP.png

The competition is over, for now.
The first round is over. I'll be doing another one of these in a few weeks, so stay tuned c:

Last edited:
Round 1: Mechanical Madness
1st place: Vikri
2nd place: Myu

Participants:
  • Darthmorf
    XtdrUzs.png
  • Molos Elethros
    index.php
  • Geneen
    LchR0Tg.png
  • Robotoh
    index.php
  • Vikri
    index.php
  • Sir Cutswood
    index.php
  • Myu
    index.php
  • Luke Oliveem
    U6b6vor.png
To participate, just submit something!​

Last edited:
Cool! I'll post the first terrible entry. Some art I did a while back. I doubt it will win anything.
XtdrUzs.png

Are these themes limited to the prize games, Terraria, or just video games in general?
Nonono, the themes are just that. The games follow the theme, not the other way around, if you get what I mean. They don't have to be related to Terraria, either, but it's always nice.

Cool! I'll post the first terrible entry. Some art I did a while back. I doubt it will win anything.
XtdrUzs.png
I forgot to put in that the submissions have to be new Q_Q I'll accept this one cause it's not your fault I'm a dumbass, but remember for future submissions.

Ayyy, good job on this one~
If I see an intresting theme a month, I'll be sure to join the :red: out of it!
ofc I hope to see many others doing the same thing aaaaaaaaaah I'm actually really hyped because of this =w=
Already have an awesome idea I need to sketch out~~ ooohohohohoh it's gonna be grrrreat!
This thread sure makes the imagination flow too 0w0

Aaaaaaanyways, before I get too hyped here, Imma stop writing.

I'll definetly be keping an eye on this thread~

Does "one piece of art per theme" mean one image or one absolute piece?
For example: Using spriting, are we allowed to make a set of weapons for the current theme, or are we forced to make just one weapon?

Does "one piece of art per theme" mean one image or one absolute piece?
For example: Using spriting, are we allowed to make a set of weapons for the current theme, or are we forced to make just one weapon?
One absolute piece. A set of sprites is all good by me c:

One absolute piece. A set of sprites is all good by me c:
You're.. contradicting yourself.
By image I meant file (a weapon set for example), and by absolute I meant one piece (a weapon for example).
So a set is fine, ok then.

This looks like a lot of fun. Maybe ill submit something... Maybe not... Also i understand that traditional and digital are aloud so i would assume that something such as 3D art is aloud aswell?

This looks like a lot of fun. Maybe ill submit something... Maybe not... Also i understand that traditional and digital are aloud so i would assume that something such as 3D art is aloud aswell?
Yep! Completely fine. As long as it follows the current theme.

Does this only allow art in terms of drawings or are modded content demostrations (such as videos of mods) allowed?

Back
Top Bottom