TTT The Terrarian Times: Tinfoil Hat Edition

Tsuki

Party Girl
2EcMq4Y.png
Welcome to another fresh installment of The Terrarian Times, all of you beautiful people out there! Apologies for the lengthy time between this issue and the last, sometimes life has a funny way of trying to keep hard-hitting reporters down and busy. But maybe that's for the better, because so much exciting news, events, and spoilers has happened since the last edition. Because of that reason, we're making this one bigger and better than the last. A recap, if you will, of all the things that have happened since our last edition, some well-known spoilers, and others that might be a bit more obscure and flew under the radar. So without further ado, on to the news!

Word of warning: If you're trying to avoid spoiling 1.3 for yourself, you may want to jump down further to avoid any unneeded info!

Table of Fantastic Contents:
kdcROYP.png

So while there's a lot of ground to cover and spoilers to recap, let's go ahead and start with some of the more recent news: the video that was released on April Fools' day. Posted with nothing but a "Happy April Fools' Day" by the delightfully devious Cenx, it's raised quite a few questions about the legitimacy, especially when it's shared with us on a day known for pranking and fooling the unsuspecting.

It creates an amusing situation, given the timing of it all. A massive video spoiler would be enough to turn on the hype cannons to astronomical degrees, but this time, it's a little different. While we have the usual crowd of people who meticulously scour each and every second of the video to find any new piece of information, we have an added bonus this time: The people who are trying to separate the fact from fiction, so to speak. What's real? What's a joke? Is it the old bait-and-switch? Is the steam integration the joke? What if the joke is for the Developers to make you crazy trying to decipher the code. Wake up people!

My personal favorite feature that I hope isn't a cruel joke, is this really nifty character selection screen. A handy little screen that shows your name, health, HP, Hardcore or soft, complete with nifty buttons that I can only imagine will do various things. An arrow for "Play", a star for "Favorite / Unfavorite", and what looks like a bush / cloud of some sort.

qFPxMl8.png

That being said, if you weren't around or didn't notice it on the front page, I politely redirect you to THIS THREAD, where you can watch the full video. But if you really want to be entertained, you should read through the whole thing. It's quite interesting to see the scramble.
Is this a thing? Probably not.
index.php

divider.png

While we're on the subject of the update, we can't possibly leave out the fact that the release date was estimated to be in June, for the famed 1.3 update. As a general rule of thumb, the word "estimate" means that it is a goal they're striving for, and it's not exactly set in stone. If need arises to delay the update for quality assurance, it may very well be taken. However, it's a good estimate for the excited userbase to look forward to! It's a start of the summer, out of school for a lot of our members, and a good opportunity to just kick back and play some lovely Terraria.

Though not all is peaceful in the land of Terraria. An unknown foe threatens our very way of life. They're poised to take all that is precious from us. Ready to destroy all that we hold dear. The real question, my friends, is not "are you ready to play 1.3" but rather, "are you ready for the fight?" The clock is ticking, and every minute that passes is a minute less that you have to prepare yourself for this unseen threat. Will you take up this challenge?
4Sf3XNd.jpg

Don't forget your epic battle music though! Over a month ago, this lovely little piece was posted by Redigit, and it definitely gives off an incredible, foreboding vibe. Ominous and otherworldy, this track was playing in the video posted for April Fools' Day, which does seem to fit a martian invasion. If you haven't given this amazing track a listen, you're doing yourself a disservice friend. Check out the full track below!

kdcROYP.png

Sometimes, little sneak peaks and mini-spoilers are posted on the profiles of the developers that go unnoticed by the majority of people. I don't necessarily blame them, after all, one wrong step in the minefield that is known as the developer profiles can be a fatal mistake. Commenting on even one of their statuses is guaranteeing a hefty explosion of alerts from everyone else who comments on it. Here are a brief mention / descriptions of things many of you might not have even seen yet.

divider.png

JMKUgK0.png
This little guy right here, for example, was first spotted on Cenx's twitter, and later on her profile. It is the Party Bee, and it is fantastic. Widely regarded as the most important spoiler of 1.3 among the bee demographic, this little guy showcases some of the brilliant things you can do if you dye your mount, confirmed to be a feature of 1.3. The ability to personalize your mounts with a fancy new paint job is quite the anticipated vanity upgrade, I would like to believe. What's your take on it, friends? What fantastic combinations are you looking to create with your mounts and dyes?

WxC5MaC.gif
Another lesser known mini-spoiler, this guy was spotted on Redigit's profile where he was looking for ideas to name it. Not sure what it could be but it's pretty shiny so it's got that going for it, right? Ideas on what it is have ranged from a summon, a pet, and a new enemy, but only time will tell for this yet-to-be-named creature.

Also making its debut mention in Redigit's status, is this mysterious "Tax Collector." With nothing else said about him/her/it (?) other than "Watching the Tax Collector run from enemies in Hell is hilarious," many users have speculated what this might mean for Terraria. The most common thought seems to be this is a new NPC, leading people to discuss what sort of core functions and features this will bring to the world of Terraria.

b5GGdVE.gif
This guy. Looks just like our ordinary, friendly neighborhood wizard. He popped up as Redigit's avatar, accompanying the appropriately cryptic status message of "Possible spoiler? Maybe not." This has led many to believe that the wizard is performing something of some amount of significance. Or it's an idle animation. Although he could be doing something completely magical. Or, you know, maybe not.

For our last piece of news in this installment of "Cool things the developers talk about on their profile," is a brief mention of the Portal Gun, by Cenx. She's confirmed Yoraiz0r has been definitely working on it. Yes, friends. A portal gun. A portal gun. In Terraria. It just may be the single most technologically advanced item we'll have in Terraria, and I can only imagine the logistics required to actually implement it in the game. We've come a long way since the game was released, friends.

As an extra added bonus, we have a very special spoiler posted on one of Pedguin's recent livestreams! Cenx herself gave Twitch chat a secret spoiler in the form of this strange creature. No words out of this terrified reporter, I'll go ahead and let you guys do the speculation for me! Whatever it is, it's super spooky, no?
Z4h7Kay.gif

divider.png

Quite recently, Loki posted a community feature discussing and interviewing our very own ChippyGaming, who even got an exclusive sneak peek at a new item to be introduced in 1.3. I won't spoil any details, but it's making quite the buzz in our little community, some people might even call it the bee's knees. Subtle, right? You should definitely head on over to his feature and check it out for yourself, and get to know a bit more about Chippy. Special shoutouts to him, and all of our other Terrarian Youtubers, for making entertaining content on the game we all love and enjoy!

kdcROYP.png

index.php
Elephant in the room here: Otherworld. This is a thing that's happening. First teased almost half a year ago, this is the next project that the good folks at Re-Logic are undertaking. But to hammer out some of the details, this is NOT Terraria 2. Nor is it an expansion pack or add-on content to Terraria. It is a whole new game, and a different approach to the Terrarian universe. As stated in the reveal for the game, by Community Manager Loki, to give people an idea of what to expect:

Set in an alternate dimension within the Terraria universe, Terraria: Otherworld places the player in a life-and-death struggle to restore a once-pristine world – now overrun by a malevolent force that has corrupted nature itself – to its original splendor. Along with a rag-tag band of survivors, will you be able to successfully harness the power of an array of weaponry, magic, defenses, and even the world itself to thwart the designs of this unseen evil?

The overarching goal of Otherworld appears to be combating a stronger, more dangerous corruption, which is in stark contrast to simply loading up a clentaminator with a bunch of green solution and getting rid of those pesky purple blocks. Apparently the main way to defeat the corruption will be by activating purifying towers. What makes this unique, is that you'll be able to use weaponized defenses, referred to once as "Wartowers" in order to guard your purifying towers from the onslaught of enemies that seek to destroy it.
1GTfqOE.png

Character progression is also handled quite differently in Otherworld, compared to the primarily item-based progression of Terraria. In Terraria, you would get a better weapon if you wanted to do more damage, and increase your maximum HP and Mana pools. Those are the two main methods of progression in Terraria. In Otherworld, however, the developers have mentioned a more skill-tree oriented method of progression. If you are the type of person to use a sword to solve all of your problems, you will become better at using swords with practice. You may even increase your skill with that particular kind of sword.

So whereas the option to get a better weapon may exist, to increase your combat effectiveness, you may also choose to hone your skills with your existing weapons. This adds an interesting dynamic, where a player with an inherently weaker weapon may be better off practicing with it, to make it more effective in their hands than a weapon further down the line. It gives players several different options about how to progress their character and in what way. And the best part, is that it's not even a finality; players may decide to change their area of expertise and begin leveling their strengths in a new type of weapon, or class. So you won't even be stuck in one class for the game. All of these give players a feeling of persistent progression. Where even if you're unlucky at finding an upgrade to a weapon, you're still able to become stronger. Able to keep growing as a character.
Rk77zKv.jpg
The game is very much focused on RPG elements, and the ability to tackle issues in many different ways, while maintaining many of the sandbox elements that Terraria is known for. Even NPCs themselves may be willing to lend a hand on your adventures, and will have more life brought to them than selling items to you. So a new player starting off will have the goal in mind of purifying and fighting the corruption, but from there, a wealth of possibilities will be presented, all of which can be means to an end. From the ability to level up your skills in specific weapons and weapon types, to the ways that you defend the purifying towers, the game is making it clear that you have freedom to approach the problem how you see fit.

It showcases many unique and beautiful environments, and a completely new art style from Terraria, which really gives off a sense of urgency to protect and purify the world as you know it. Danger and corruption loom around every corner, and you can expect to take the fight to the enemy later this year. That's right, Re-Logic has expressed their goal for the full release of Otherworld to be in 2015. They've made clear their desire to release the game in full; this means no early access programs or similar programs / paths.
AsIxx0H.png

There's plenty more details that I haven't covered here, and for anyone that hasn't seen Loki's post-GDC details about Otherworld, I kindly direct you to THIS THREAD, where you'll able to check out all the juicy little tidbits of information and comment on them. Don't forget to check out their teaser-trailer that they posted in that thread, too, if you haven't seen it. Hype train in full effect, for many of our members. If you have any ideas, or anything else that you'd like to discuss with the rest of the community there's a fantastic new Otherworld discussion and suggestion section waiting for you. I'll conclude the Otherworld coverage by showing this lovely piece, posted by Mr. Rudi quite recently.

index.php

kdcROYP.png

To wrap things up for me, before we head on to Mystery's coverage of some of the community's fantastic talents, I'd like to take the time to mention a few points of interest. One of those points of interest that I don't think too many new people see, is the New User Guide. A section created by Loki, these threads all help a new user get on their feet with learning the ins and outs of how to manage their account, social groups, and threads. While many of our experienced and veterans may know these, it remains an invaluable resource to those who might need help in those fields.
divider.png

While we're on the subject of new members, I'd like to briefly mention a problem I'm sure some of them have had. That problem is that sometimes it's a bit hard to get involved in a community and get to know people. I think we've all been there at some point or another, but thanks to Social Group magic, we have an entire area dedicated to forum members getting to know one another: The Official Q&A and AMA group!

In this section, users can make threads answering questions about their lives, interests, talents, and more! And it says Official on it, so you know it's nice and shiny. If you're feeling like you might want to be more sociable, and excellent place to start is by making or participating in a Q&A thread, so that you can find people who might share your interests and even make some new friends. Plus, you can even set limits on the questions that people ask you, so you can choose to keep it strictly Terraria related, or if you want to talk about your artistic talents, poetic talents, etc. And remember, you don't have to answer a question you don't want to answer.

It's a very good way to break the ice and get to know people in this fine community, if you haven't done that already. Go ahead and join the fun!
divider.png

For my last order of business, I'll leave you guys with a question, and feel free to answer in this thread. Think of it as a bit of an impromptu poll for the readers to think about and answer. This issue's million dollar question:

What is your favorite or most often used pet in Terraria, and why?

Look forward to hearing all of your answers! And we're not talking minions or mounts either, but your favorite pet that you enjoy just having around. I'll be happy to post the results next issue, so you can see how your choices stack up to everyone else's.

kdcROYP.png

That just about wraps it up for the news and spoiler coverage for this issue! Coming up next is Mystery, with another showcase of just what kind of amazing stuff all of you beautiful Terrarians are capable of, for this issue's community spotlights! We greatly enjoy the overwhelming support you've all been giving us this issue, and we hope to continue to entertain and inform you well into the future! And as always, if you have any questions, feedback concerns or just want to show your support, feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. Here's Mystery to catch us up on some of the amazing things you guys have been doing in since the last issue. Tsuki, out.
cat tax
SfoW0Jb.png

Last edited:

2EcMq4Y.png
Greetings once again, Terrarians! I'd to apologize for my (and the Times) fairly long hiatus as I've been travelling a lot recently. I look forward to continuing to bring you the Terrarian Times again in a regular schedule. Enjoy!

Last issue, we went over the general epicness of the Terraria community. She talked about the various ways you have been giving back to this awesome community. You can read the full article here.

This installment, however, we’ll be shifting our focus. Since the early days of Terraria Online, up until now on TCF, there has always existed and thrived a unique niche of creative game-players and forum-goers who were eager to share their talents with this game they so enjoyed. With members whose expertise varies from drawing, digital art, pixelated art, in-game builds and art, and Terraria literature, there have always been those whose work has been prominent in the community. In this next article I’ll be talking about these artists; artists who have given back to the community and shared their creative gifts by making amazing fan-art for Terraria.

kdcROYP.png

qTeF6V2.png

NPC Art by Daimera
First up in our line of featured artists, writes, and all-around creative members, we have long-time forum-goer and artist Daimera.

She has been an active member of the community for quite some time, and she has always inspired and fascinated others with her unique, colorful style. Daimera is mostly known for her gory depictions of the living-flesh monsters of the Crimson and her older Terraria sword art featured on TO. Recently, however, she has created some brand new art for us to feast our eyes on. These include various different aspects of the game, such as drawings of NPCs or bosses, sketches of the plant life of Terraria, and even original NPC designs. You can view all of her fantastic fan-art and pictures here.

13D9qho.jpg

Handcrafted life-model of The Night's Edge
But it doesn't stop there! Daimera has recently created a real-life, handcrafted model of The Night's Edge sword from Terraria! As you can see in the photo above, Daimera constructed the core of this cosplay-prop sword with heavy-duty corrugated cardboard, tape, and paint primer. You can view the whole creative process (with photos and info) in Daimera's crafts thread here.

kdcROYP.png

sPJfht6.jpg

Spectre mage by Izzabelle
Another up and coming artist of the Terraria community is a member named Izzabelle. Izzabelle is a professional illustrator by day, but (also by day) she creates awesome fanart for gaming communities!

Along with unique and creative depictions of the game itself, Izzabelle has also been extremely generous towards the community regarding the sharing of her artistic knowledge! She started up a social group entitled Izzabelle's Illustration Academy back in January. In this group, Izzabelle provides art lessons for forum members and aspiring artists, effectively sharing her 22+ years of art study with the community. In the academy you can request a lesson specifically about a certain topic and Izzabelle with create a tutorial to help you out within a couple of days! Check out the social group here, and be sure to thank Izzabelle for her generous contribution to the community.

index.php

Bees! by Izzabelle

kdcROYP.png

146.jpg

Another community artist who has been generous with their talents is the pixel artist known as Jestex. Jestex has been a member of the Terraria community for quite some time, and has been known in recent months for his generous contributions to TCF's custom Terraria 'emotes'. Jestex has provided the official Nurse™ and Merchant™ emoticons, along with many, many custom emotes for community members, moderators, and developers. His generosity has started a new trend in TCF, and has inspired other budding artists to create custom emoticons for community members everywhere. (You can view a complete collection of emotes here.)
Nurse
0L5kB77.gif
LtzLhJZ.gif
oT493Ad.gif
GfjjUEU.gif
GR4SFbI.png
2ddsmq5.png
9jpoJoh.png
gKaNczB.png
PEi8lZz.png
jks5Iuc.png
9pS87dV.png
tB8PSNL.gif
xdtgewD.gif
pIT0S8R.gif
nuEHGnG.gif
2r8cPf5.gif
Y3p15vu.png

Merchant
0ein1UV.gif
IZ8tGGV.gif
XcVB33i.gif
ILBc2Jp.gif
cj1EMap.png
b9QPuE9.png
g86xcmr.png
Udc4HR6.png
8WR3XhX.png
D5RbfuD.png
07KehfE.png
Pzf2dzL.gif
Acx4TB6.gif
yyO0jSq.gif
BJ8TjdL.gif
gHOUKRJ.gif
b9yaOzw.png
07KehfE.png

TCF Members
EiZpxlE.gif
jtEo6ah.png
XrKAQze.png
cvztwoO.png
5bN6dlt.gif
4V4chLM.png
SeGU0Tk.gif
p1wPYMJ.png
49b50vt.png
bd01xic.gif
S9KkWFD.png
frbbMue.png
e54x8dj.gif
GSKspRB.png
MWHnXPC.png
H7OT1j7.png
2lruOxn.png
MhrYLLN.png
dObrLX6.gif
AwP4PxM.png
DWafACL.png
JWbZ7pm.gif
t9hfrke.png
MgLTDVQ.gif
zgolEnU.gif
pfF0EyI.png
QMrBSJC.png
Vrit50d.png
index.php
FX2NCwP.png
sJew5Az.png
S56dzW1.png
YVk7ABP.gif

TCF moderators
RDUeuar.gif
FVaXbcD.png
M0MlcuQ.png
PQnY58o.png

QFObkUy.png
bOODpgr.png
4jVy4jp.png
c3hWhjC.png
d1nh7LZ.png
zgoCy0s.png
3GdyCdd.png
AveBagx.png
zBuEf7Q.png
hn16YKV.gif
BXSwZiP.gif

While having quite the collection of emotes, Jestex also specializes in creative pixel art. He generously has a social group devoted to requests for art and custom emotes which you can view here.

T7aIxIG.png
uzFtrZ1.png
TaXhMxH.png

Pixel art by Jestex
If you want to view the rest of Jestex's awesome pixel creations, view information about requests, or just tell him how awesome he is, click here!

kdcROYP.png

Shifting our focus a little bit away from the visual talents our community members have to offer, we're going to touch base with some literature. And who are we going to go to for some quality Terraria literature? None other than resident writer Razor Knight! This is a member that's been in the business of writing fanfictions and original stories for longer than many of our members have even been alive. He's no stranger to what it means to create pieces of work that people want to read. He knows pretty well what's required to make a story shine: engaging plot twists, amusing characters, and an incredible level of detail.

But as far as Terraria goes, what does he have to offer? Well, for starters, we have his now-complete story: NPC Chronicles. What is it about, you may ask? Here, let me try to hook you into the story with one sentence, taken right from Razor himself:
"Ever wondered what would happen if the fate of Terraria was in the hands of the
NPCs? We would be totally screwed, probably."

Do I have your attention now? I probably should. The story revolves around the adventures of Terraria's ragtag group of NPC's as they take matters into their own hands, braving the cruel dangers the world throws at them. But when you have a disorganized motley crew of adventurers...you can bet that things are almost certainly never going to go according to plan. Feel free to read all about their journey, from start to end, and enjoy the hilarious experience and adventures they'll give you.
kdcROYP.png

Lastly, we have a very special interview taking place! Having made a huge impact on this community ever since he submitted a piece to the CC, he's been steadily increasing in popularity thanks to his unique style of art and the requests he has done for people. This artist is none other than the wonderful @ajidot. Boasting an adorable piece featuring the beloved Mechanic, he was able to catch the community eye. Since then, he's flourished and blossomed on this community, quickly making friends and admirers alike. He even opened up a thread to showcase his art and do requests, which at the time of this interview, are closed. He may re-open requests in the future, but at the moment he's done quite a bit and still has a back-log. We decided to interview him, to see if we can get the inside scoop on his creative process, and him as a person. Go ahead and open the spoiler to read the interview in its entirety!
Tsuki: Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself and your hobbies. What do you do when you're not making art?

Ajidot: Hmmm.... I'm a Korean about-to-be adult, who's gonna go to college this August. I'm pretty much a indoor person, but I did swimming and table tennis when I was younger. Other than drawing, I like playing games, or making stuff. The kind of games I like are RPG or Shooting games.

The stuff I make, well... It kind of varies from time to time. Sometimes, I'd tape and glue stuff to make weapons (which turn out to be completely powerless) I've tried carving with erasers, making some figures. I think they turned out pretty great. I've also tried making mini cars or lighting systems with simple wires, small motors, and mini-light bulbs.

But I do those kinds of crafting very rarely. What I made most were animations and games. I got to know about Adobe Flash when I was a 4th grader, and made animations since. I started making simple games with Flash starting from my 1st year in middle school. I know how to make puzzle games, platform games, rhythm games, shooting games, and very simple 3d games. About the animations I make, I didn't make many original animations, but rather made lots of parodies of animations, comics, or games.

Tsuki: Oh wow, you've definitely had an interesting life. Lots of arts and crafts, and animations, even games, that's extremely impressive! I didn't know that you had so much experience with various arts and crafts. Now, you're still pretty new to this community, but you've already become very well-known, popular, and well-liked. Did you expect so much attention when you first gave your entry to the CC, and when you opened up your art thread and requests? Also, you seem very happy to do requests for people, do you enjoy sharing your art with others a lot?

Ajidot: Thank you. ^^ Before I came to the TCF, I uploaded my works on a different Korean social site. It was pretty popular when I was new there (4th grader), but now, it's slowly becoming only a shadow of the one I started with. Naturally, comments and views were reduced extremely. I still upload stuff there, but I wanted feedback, too, so I decided to go to a new social network. I tried a art community called 'Pixiv' from Japan, but the site was SO popular that the works I uploaded went behind many pages even before people got to get a good look at it. So, I moved on to Deviant Art. The reaction there was a bit better, but still not enough. (Also, that's where I met ppowersteef)

Tired of trying new sites, I had almost decided to go back to that Korean network when I saw TCF. Actually, I had visited terraria.org many times in the past because I went to Terraria wiki through there. I had also seen the forums, but without account, searching for news of Terraria 1.3. (I saw Terrarian Times during that period, too, yay) Then, I found the news about CC. Honestly, I thought it was some kind of Terraria's art contest at first.
I thought I could compete (lol) and get some comments, so I made an account for the TCF, and threw in my chibi drawings. (I was working on the comics with that art for the title at that time) Finding myself surrounded with happy comments, I got excited and have been drawing for TCF ever since.

I didn't know I would get such attention from Terrarians when I made my art thread and requests. I accepted requests, too, from when I was still in the Korean network. I almost never received any request calls. (Well, I got like 6~7 the past 7 years) I kind of thought that would be the case here, too. Boy, was I wrong. Expecting extremely less number of calls, I actually wrote "I always welcome requests" on my thread! Haha... Like I said, I love reading comments from people. I am very happy making requests for people, and I think their comments and attention are enough to keep me going.

Tsuki: How long have you been drawing and working on your art?

Ajidot: I started scribbling stuff from as long as I can remember. I started drawing humans starting from when I was in the 3rd year of middle school. (I don't know how it is here, but in Korea, elementary, middle, and high school each lasts for 6,3,3 years) I started drawing with a computer roughly at the same time, so just counting humans, I guess it's been about... 4~5 years
BqLPoKi.png

Tsuki: Just a couple more questions left, sorry to take so much of your time up! We've seen a lot of art involving the mechanic, would you say that she's your favorite NPC or do you have another reason? Also, do you do a lot of building in-game, or use a lot of wiring mechanisms?

Ajidot: Yes, Mechanic is my favorite NPC. Since I want to become a programmer one day, I like mechanical stuff. That's one reason I found Mechanic in Terraria interesting. The next reason is simply her looks. I liked the look she gets when she carries the humongous wrench behind her back. Lastly, the wiring concept in Terraria was very fascinating to me.

I didn't have much interest in building cool looking buildings before. I just made rows and rows of those basic square cabins that "contains" NPCs. Then one day, I recommended Terraria to one of my friends and we played together. He was a very experienced builder in Minecraft, so he wanted to build stuff in Terraria, too. He made a super cool tree house, and I think that kind of sparked a 'building soul' inside me. From then on, I paid more attention to building fancy buildings.

For a while, that made me build this and that, but I eventually got bored of it. About 2 months passed, and when I launched Steam to play Terraria, I saw this article about a guy building an in-game calculator. That got my attention, and I searched the Internet for information. That's how I got to know about............... HOIK!
myAinCF.gif
(I love doing that) I also picked up stuffs like the bird engine and crab engine. And hoiktronic is what I'm trying to build these days. (Can't get them right enough, though...)

Tsuki: Yeah, some of the stuff you can do with Hoiks are truly amazing, and the T-MEC group is always coming up with fascinating ideas. Also, to wrap things up here, any words of advice for people who want to get into art and practice their skills?

Ajidot: There's nothing better to improve skills than practicing. I recommend trying to imitate skills from other drawings, and applying it on their own. Copying other drawings from head to toe also helps. But, tracing it doesn't. Good luck guys! Keep it up!

Tsuki: Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions! Also, thank you so much for bringing your wonderful talents to the community. People really love artists here, and they get super excited about requests. I appreciate you sharing your art with us!

And there you have it, folks! An excellent interview and some insight to the artist behind the drawings. When asked to share a piece he was particularly proud of, he instead whipped up something completely new during the course of his interview, showcasing his ability to create lovely works in a short amount of time.

3icO9RY.png

kdcROYP.png

Well, that's it for this issue's featured members. I hope you all enjoyed reading about these awesome artists.
Remember, just because you weren't featured this issue doesn't mean that you're not noticed! Have a pleasant week, Terrarians.

If you'd like to:
  • Want to contribute
  • Ask a question
  • Request a member/community feature
  • Share some cool fanmade content (made specifically for the TT)
  • Or give me *and Tsuki* cookies...
Please email us at:
[email protected].

Thanks for reading. Catch ya later, Terrarians!

coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome stuff as always guys! I suspect you will have plenty more to cover in the weeks and months ahead. ;)
when is terraria otherworld coming out? this month? this year? next year? NEXT CENTURY!?!?!??!?!??!? thats way to far! :p

Awesome! That fleshbag reminds me of @Szaila though, maybe it's the flesh and the multiple eyes....
Good job to everyone featured and involved!
when is terraria otherworld coming out? this month? this year? next year? NEXT CENTURY!?!?!??!?!??!? thats way to far! :p
That's right, Re-Logic has expressed their goal for the full release of Otherworld to be in 2015. They've made clear their desire to release the game in full; this means no early access programs or similar programs / paths.
;)
Also looking forward to a rainbow of slime colors!

Awesome stuff as always guys! I suspect you will have plenty more to cover in the weeks and months ahead. ;)
Once again, Loki spoils spoilers like a boss lol. Great edition. And my favorite pet? HelicopterTurtle. Ever sense that first 1.2 image after a couple months of Red saying Terraria was getting no more updates, that helicopter turtle. it was all my want and it still is.

2EcMq4Y.png
Welcome to another fresh installment of The Terrarian Times, all of you beautiful people out there! Apologies for the lengthy time between this issue and the last, sometimes life has a funny way of trying to keep hard-hitting reporters down and busy. But maybe that's for the better, because so much exciting news, events, and spoilers has happened since the last edition. Because of that reason, we're making this one bigger and better than the last. A recap, if you will, of all the things that have happened since our last edition, some well-known spoilers, and others that might be a bit more obscure and flew under the radar. So without further ado, on to the news!

Word of warning: If you're trying to avoid spoiling 1.3 for yourself, you may want to jump down further to avoid any unneeded info!

Table of Fantastic Contents:
kdcROYP.png

So while there's a lot of ground to cover and spoilers to recap, let's go ahead and start with some of the more recent news: the video that was released on April Fools' day. Posted with nothing but a "Happy April Fools' Day" by the delightfully devious Cenx, it's raised quite a few questions about the legitimacy, especially when it's shared with us on a day known for pranking and fooling the unsuspecting.

It creates an amusing situation, given the timing of it all. A massive video spoiler would be enough to turn on the hype cannons to astronomical degrees, but this time, it's a little different. While we have the usual crowd of people who meticulously scour each and every second of the video to find any new piece of information, we have an added bonus this time: The people who are trying to separate the fact from fiction, so to speak. What's real? What's a joke? Is it the old bait-and-switch? Is the steam integration the joke? What if the joke is for the Developers to make you crazy trying to decipher the code. Wake up people!

My personal favorite feature that I hope isn't a cruel joke, is this really nifty character selection screen. A handy little screen that shows your name, health, HP, Hardcore or soft, complete with nifty buttons that I can only imagine will do various things. An arrow for "Play", a star for "Favorite / Unfavorite", and what looks like a bush / cloud of some sort.

qFPxMl8.png

That being said, if you weren't around or didn't notice it on the front page, I politely redirect you to THIS THREAD, where you can watch the full video. But if you really want to be entertained, you should read through the whole thing. It's quite interesting to see the scramble.
Is this a thing? Probably not.
index.php

divider.png

While we're on the subject of the update, we can't possibly leave out the fact that the release date was estimated to be in June, for the famed 1.3 update. As a general rule of thumb, the word "estimate" means that it is a goal they're striving for, and it's not exactly set in stone. If need arises to delay the update for quality assurance, it may very well be taken. However, it's a good estimate for the excited userbase to look forward to! It's a start of the summer, out of school for a lot of our members, and a good opportunity to just kick back and play some lovely Terraria.

Though not all is peaceful in the land of Terraria. An unknown foe threatens our very way of life. They're poised to take all that is precious from us. Ready to destroy all that we hold dear. The real question, my friends, is not "are you ready to play 1.3" but rather, "are you ready for the fight?" The clock is ticking, and every minute that passes is a minute less that you have to prepare yourself for this unseen threat. Will you take up this challenge?
4Sf3XNd.jpg

Don't forget your epic battle music though! Over a month ago, this lovely little piece was posted by Redigit, and it definitely gives off an incredible, foreboding vibe. Ominous and otherworldy, this track was playing in the video posted for April Fools' Day, which does seem to fit a martian invasion. If you haven't given this amazing track a listen, you're doing yourself a disservice friend. Check out the full track below!

kdcROYP.png

Sometimes, little sneak peaks and mini-spoilers are posted on the profiles of the developers that go unnoticed by the majority of people. I don't necessarily blame them, after all, one wrong step in the minefield that is known as the developer profiles can be a fatal mistake. Commenting on even one of their statuses is guaranteeing a hefty explosion of alerts from everyone else who comments on it. Here are a brief mention / descriptions of things many of you might not have even seen yet.

divider.png

JMKUgK0.png
This little guy right here, for example, was first spotted on Cenx's twitter, and later on her profile. It is the Party Bee, and it is fantastic. Widely regarded as the most important spoiler of 1.3 among the bee demographic, this little guy showcases some of the brilliant things you can do if you dye your mount, confirmed to be a feature of 1.3. The ability to personalize your mounts with a fancy new paint job is quite the anticipated vanity upgrade, I would like to believe. What's your take on it, friends? What fantastic combinations are you looking to create with your mounts and dyes?

WxC5MaC.gif
Another lesser known mini-spoiler, this guy was spotted on Redigit's profile where he was looking for ideas to name it. Not sure what it could be but it's pretty shiny so it's got that going for it, right? Ideas on what it is have ranged from a summon, a pet, and a new enemy, but only time will tell for this yet-to-be-named creature.

Also making its debut mention in Redigit's status, is this mysterious "Tax Collector." With nothing else said about him/her/it (?) other than "Watching the Tax Collector run from enemies in Hell is hilarious," many users have speculated what this might mean for Terraria. The most common thought seems to be this is a new NPC, leading people to discuss what sort of core functions and features this will bring to the world of Terraria.

b5GGdVE.gif
This guy. Looks just like our ordinary, friendly neighborhood wizard. He popped up as Redigit's avatar, accompanying the appropriately cryptic status message of "Possible spoiler? Maybe not." This has led many to believe that the wizard is performing something of some amount of significance. Or it's an idle animation. Although he could be doing something completely magical. Or, you know, maybe not.

For our last piece of news in this installment of "Cool things the developers talk about on their profile," is a brief mention of the Portal Gun, by Cenx. She's confirmed Yoraiz0r has been definitely working on it. Yes, friends. A portal gun. A portal gun. In Terraria. It just may be the single most technologically advanced item we'll have in Terraria, and I can only imagine the logistics required to actually implement it in the game. We've come a long way since the game was released, friends.

As an extra added bonus, we have a very special spoiler posted on one of Pedguin's recent livestreams! Cenx herself gave Twitch chat a secret spoiler in the form of this strange creature. No words out of this terrified reporter, I'll go ahead and let you guys do the speculation for me! Whatever it is, it's super spooky, no?
Z4h7Kay.gif

divider.png

Quite recently, Loki posted a community feature discussing and interviewing our very own ChippyGaming, who even got an exclusive sneak peek at a new item to be introduced in 1.3. I won't spoil any details, but it's making quite the buzz in our little community, some people might even call it the bee's knees. Subtle, right? You should definitely head on over to his feature and check it out for yourself, and get to know a bit more about Chippy. Special shoutouts to him, and all of our other Terrarian Youtubers, for making entertaining content on the game we all love and enjoy!

kdcROYP.png

index.php
Elephant in the room here: Otherworld. This is a thing that's happening. First teased almost half a year ago, this is the next project that the good folks at Re-Logic are undertaking. But to hammer out some of the details, this is NOT Terraria 2. Nor is it an expansion pack or add-on content to Terraria. It is a whole new game, and a different approach to the Terrarian universe. As stated in the reveal for the game, by Community Manager Loki, to give people an idea of what to expect:

Set in an alternate dimension within the Terraria universe, Terraria: Otherworld places the player in a life-and-death struggle to restore a once-pristine world – now overrun by a malevolent force that has corrupted nature itself – to its original splendor. Along with a rag-tag band of survivors, will you be able to successfully harness the power of an array of weaponry, magic, defenses, and even the world itself to thwart the designs of this unseen evil?

The overarching goal of Otherworld appears to be combating a stronger, more dangerous corruption, which is in stark contrast to simply loading up a clentaminator with a bunch of green solution and getting rid of those pesky purple blocks. Apparently the main way to defeat the corruption will be by activating purifying towers. What makes this unique, is that you'll be able to use weaponized defenses, referred to once as "Wartowers" in order to guard your purifying towers from the onslaught of enemies that seek to destroy it.
1GTfqOE.png

Character progression is also handled quite differently in Otherworld, compared to the primarily item-based progression of Terraria. In Terraria, you would get a better weapon if you wanted to do more damage, and increase your maximum HP and Mana pools. Those are the two main methods of progression in Terraria. In Otherworld, however, the developers have mentioned a more skill-tree oriented method of progression. If you are the type of person to use a sword to solve all of your problems, you will become better at using swords with practice. You may even increase your skill with that particular kind of sword.

So whereas the option to get a better weapon may exist, to increase your combat effectiveness, you may also choose to hone your skills with your existing weapons. This adds an interesting dynamic, where a player with an inherently weaker weapon may be better off practicing with it, to make it more effective in their hands than a weapon further down the line. It gives players several different options about how to progress their character and in what way. And the best part, is that it's not even a finality; players may decide to change their area of expertise and begin leveling their strengths in a new type of weapon, or class. So you won't even be stuck in one class for the game. All of these give players a feeling of persistent progression. Where even if you're unlucky at finding an upgrade to a weapon, you're still able to become stronger. Able to keep growing as a character.
Rk77zKv.jpg
The game is very much focused on RPG elements, and the ability to tackle issues in many different ways, while maintaining many of the sandbox elements that Terraria is known for. Even NPCs themselves may be willing to lend a hand on your adventures, and will have more life brought to them than selling items to you. So a new player starting off will have the goal in mind of purifying and fighting the corruption, but from there, a wealth of possibilities will be presented, all of which can be means to an end. From the ability to level up your skills in specific weapons and weapon types, to the ways that you defend the purifying towers, the game is making it clear that you have freedom to approach the problem how you see fit.

It showcases many unique and beautiful environments, and a completely new art style from Terraria, which really gives off a sense of urgency to protect and purify the world as you know it. Danger and corruption loom around every corner, and you can expect to take the fight to the enemy later this year. That's right, Re-Logic has expressed their goal for the full release of Otherworld to be in 2015. They've made clear their desire to release the game in full; this means no early access programs or similar programs / paths.
AsIxx0H.png

There's plenty more details that I haven't covered here, and for anyone that hasn't seen Loki's post-GDC details about Otherworld, I kindly direct you to THIS THREAD, where you'll able to check out all the juicy little tidbits of information and comment on them. Don't forget to check out their teaser-trailer that they posted in that thread, too, if you haven't seen it. Hype train in full effect, for many of our members. If you have any ideas, or anything else that you'd like to discuss with the rest of the community there's a fantastic new Otherworld discussion and suggestion section waiting for you. I'll conclude the Otherworld coverage by showing this lovely piece, posted by Mr. Rudi quite recently.

index.php

kdcROYP.png

To wrap things up for me, before we head on to Mystery's coverage of some of the community's fantastic talents, I'd like to take the time to mention a few points of interest. One of those points of interest that I don't think too many new people see, is the New User Guide. A section created by Loki, these threads all help a new user get on their feet with learning the ins and outs of how to manage their account, social groups, and threads. While many of our experienced and veterans may know these, it remains an invaluable resource to those who might need help in those fields.
divider.png

While we're on the subject of new members, I'd like to briefly mention a problem I'm sure some of them have had. That problem is that sometimes it's a bit hard to get involved in a community and get to know people. I think we've all been there at some point or another, but thanks to Social Group magic, we have an entire area dedicated to forum members getting to know one another: The Official Q&A and AMA group!

In this section, users can make threads answering questions about their lives, interests, talents, and more! And it says Official on it, so you know it's nice and shiny. If you're feeling like you might want to be more sociable, and excellent place to start is by making or participating in a Q&A thread, so that you can find people who might share your interests and even make some new friends. Plus, you can even set limits on the questions that people ask you, so you can choose to keep it strictly Terraria related, or if you want to talk about your artistic talents, poetic talents, etc. And remember, you don't have to answer a question you don't want to answer.

It's a very good way to break the ice and get to know people in this fine community, if you haven't done that already. Go ahead and join the fun!
divider.png

For my last order of business, I'll leave you guys with a question, and feel free to answer in this thread. Think of it as a bit of an impromptu poll for the readers to think about and answer. This issue's million dollar question:

What is your favorite or most often used pet in Terraria, and why?

Look forward to hearing all of your answers! And we're not talking minions or mounts either, but your favorite pet that you enjoy just having around. I'll be happy to post the results next issue, so you can see how your choices stack up to everyone else's.

kdcROYP.png

That just about wraps it up for the news and spoiler coverage for this issue! Coming up next is Mystery, with another showcase of just what kind of amazing stuff all of you beautiful Terrarians are capable of, for this issue's community spotlights! We greatly enjoy the overwhelming support you've all been giving us this issue, and we hope to continue to entertain and inform you well into the future! And as always, if you have any questions, feedback concerns or just want to show your support, feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. Here's Mystery to catch us up on some of the amazing things you guys have been doing in since the last issue. Tsuki, out.
cat tax
SfoW0Jb.png
Is Martian Madness real?
And is the 1.3 Trailer coming in May or Later?

Good read. Nice work. Not really sure what else I can say that I wouldn't have already said. Oh, this: More secrets have been revealed.

Back
Top Bottom