TTT The Terrarian Times: Took an Update in the Knee

Mystery

The Mysterious One
XbjLUbR.png

...Oh. Hello! I didn’t see you there. Silly me. Well, well. I suppose it’s that time again! Tsuki, get the curtains, get the camera, and get the tank of pink gel, because it’s time for… The Terrarian Times! It’s been almost a month since our last edition and a LOT has happened since then, so prepare your seeing-spheres, because we have a lot to talk about: from Terraria: Otherworld to a partnership with One Drop Yo-Yos. And, not to mention, a tiny little thing called… 1.3. Stay tuned for information on all these topics and more!

kdcROYP.png

The Contents of Table
kdcROYP.png

gyIMUsf.png

It’s here! It’s here! The update that’s been in the making for over a year has finally landed, and I’m sure you’re all enjoying it immensely. The new update features more than 800 items, 100+ new mobs, 3 new events, and two new bosses, including the long-awaited final boss.* All there for you to dig, fight, explore, and build!

Now, it’s been a long road getting 1.3 to the public and the developers and testers are still working tirelessly to fix all those pesky bugs—several hotfixes have already been released to ensure you have the best possible Terraria experience! I think that it’s important to recognize all the hard work the Re-Logic team has been doing; so, if you get the chance, remember to thank them for everything they’ve done (and continue to do) to make our favorite 2-d indie sandbox exploration RPG a fun (and functional) experience!

*To view the entirety of the 1.3 changelog click here.

divider.png

In order to fully grasp the community’s view on the update, I went around and interviewed several members on their thoughts on the update so far. Go ahead and take a look at the members and their answers to my relentless thought-provoking questions. Oh, and if you have your own answers or comments about 1.3 feel free to share them in this thread!

7ple3qt.png

First up, we have member Milt69466 telling us what he thinks about the new update.

150.jpg

Mystery: So, to start us off: What has your 1.3 experience been like so far? What's one of your favorite new features?

Milt69466: Well, 1.3 is certainly bigger than I had expected. I've had loads of fun with all the new weapons, enemies, biomes, and I've yet to try expert mode. It's really hard to pick a favorite feature, but I guess my favorite would be the new inventory system. First, quick stack to nearby chests, love this feature, even with named chests and all, it's still a hassle to sort out all the herbs, blocks and ores I pick up, especially banners, damn there's a whole lot of them. Second, the favorite option is brilliant. I usually keep things like dirt, wood, and torches on me, and now I don't have to worry about accidentally placing them in chests due to quick stack :p. Third, the new equipment slots are great, I adore the new dye slots for pets and mounts. I'm kind of rambling on right now and running out of adjectives that are not too flowery <.<;

Mystery: Great answer! All those new features are indeed awesome and add a lot in the way of game-play and functionality..

Next question: Are you playing with new update solo or with some friends? Do you normally play mutliplayer when you do a playthrough?

Milt69466: I've been playing almost completely single player. I've never been much of a pvp person, but I do like cooperating with others. I've had a few multiplayer trades going on since 1.3 had started for RNG locked items (angler quests *cough cough*) and played a bit on a server with a friend (mostly exploring the new biomes, love the new abandoned sheds and minecart tracks). I would play multiplayer more, but time zones are mean.

Mystery: I really hate timezones. Why do they exist?

And now, for our final question: Would you say Terraria 1.3 has lived up to your expectations?

Milt69466: I really didn't know what to expect, as I wasn't here for the 1.2 update and its predecessors. Like most people, I fit the little bits of information we got from spoilers and such to get an image of what 1.3 would be like. Obviously I failed at that compared to what the real update had to offer. Heck, even the change log didn't really cover the content. I feel that 1.3 deserved the hype it was getting.

One thing is for certain, I was not expecting that final boss
index.php

Mystery: Haha! Awesome. Well, that's that. Thank you so much for you time.
divider.png

Next up, joining us is NINJAxBACON to tell us a bit about his 1.3 experience.

13267.jpg

Mystery: So! Tell me about your initial thoughts and reactions to the update!

NINJAxBACON: Well, starting the game for the first time in weeks with the new update was exciting, and I was ready to do away with my summer. Right from the starting menu I noticed incredible changes: New characters customization and new menus.

I jumped right into expert mode because I believed I had more than enough experience to play it.
Daytime: Okay, this doesn't look very "Expert"... I guess I need some slim-
Tres was slain...
During the first 3 minutes I was killed by a slime, so I knew this was going to be a difficult adventure through 1.3. I played through pre-hardmode, and I could not stop playing. There are so many new items and equipment! Yo-yos and the new Expert boss items!I could talk about this all day, but I cannot, unfortunately.;) Overall, this was one of, if not, the best update Terraria has had. There's too many improvements to count, and there's way too many items to talk about.

Mystery: And do you have any favorites yet? Any favorite weapons/building materials/biomes/NPCs? What about the new monsters? Anything you hate with a passion?

NINJAxBACON: My favorite weapon is the new Daedalus Bow. It does so much damage and shoots so quickly! :dryadnaughty:
There's one enemy I can't stand. The new zombie with the longer arm. It does horrendous amounts of damage in the beginning of the game and has so much reach :dryadcry:

Mystery: Those zombie arms are so aggravating.

What are your thoughts on all the new functional updates 1.3 brings? How has that effected your normal Terraria experience?

NINJAxBACON: Well the NPCs fighting back against mobs has changed the game and the way I think about them. In the Goblin Invasion, normally I would try my best to protect my town full of NPCs, but now they fight back against the hoard. It makes me feel more bonded to the NPCs, as weird as that sounds. It just makes me want to keep them alive.

Auto stack from the Inventory has saved me so much time from organizing Inventory. It's a small, subtle change, but it has a huge effect on gameplay in general.

Mystery: Nice!

Any thoughts on the awesome new music that 1.3 brings with it?

NINJAxBACON: I'm definitely a fan of the new Martian Invasion music! And also the new Hell Music! :dryadnaughty:

Mystery: As am I, NinjaBacon, as am I.

Well, that's all. Thank you for your time. It was a pleasure talking to you!
divider.png

Our final guest, SzGamer227, shares his thoughts on everything 1.3.

430.jpg

Mystery: So, how have you been enjoying 1.3 so far? How has it been delving into something that's been over a year in the making?

SzGamer227: It's been great! Even with the amount of hype for 1.3, the update didn't fall short of expectations. There's been lots of surprises sprinkled all over, popping up where I wouldn't expect, and it makes for a really awesome experience. I've been taking my time with Expert Mode because of the little things like hunting new mobs, banner collecting, building with new materials, and it's really cool to know that I'm not even halfway through the game yet, and there's tons more to discover! This update is really helping me rack up some Terraria hours on my new Steam account, for sure. :p

Mystery: It's good to hear you're enjoying it! And you're playing expert mode... Fun stuff. What are your thoughts on the new game mode?

SzGamer227: It's been a bit of a challenge, obviously, but I'm actually really liking it! Ever since it was formally announced, I'd been looking forward to getting killed by easymode bosses that never give me much trouble, and I definitely haven't been disappointed. The new EM-exclusive items they've thrown in really help and make it worth the effort, so all in all, Redigit did a very good job implementing it. Can't wait to kill the Wall of Flesh and get into ExpertHardMode... that should rack me up a sizable amount of gravestones, considering the Mechanical Bosses weren't even much of a pushover in Normal Mode. (Bring it on!)

Mystery: Nice! And have you had the chance to battle the mysterious final boss yet?

SzGamer227: Yeah, my brothers couldn't wait, and I wouldn't let them do it without me! All in all, it was totally epic. It was challenging but not straining, since there were lots of new challenges to face as we powered through the Celestial event, but I really appreciate how it gave you breathing room when you died and let you craft new items during the event in between phases. It's incredible how much work was put into it; the effects are mind blowing for a game that aims for a lower-resolution graphic appearance. The whole build up to the final boss was very well done; the excitement and anticipation for the final encounter was no joke, and it definitely was worth the wait! I'm very glad to see that Terraria finally has a worthy ultimate boss, and what's more, that the final boss is the long-anticipated Cthulhu! That was a real shocker, and I can't believe that they were able to pull that off! Can't wait to kill him a few more times and get even more of that OP endgame loot! :D

Mystery: Awesome! That'll be all for now. Thank you for your time. :)

Now that we've heard what you have to say about 1.3, let's move onto our next section!

kdcROYP.png

y0cFjsh.png

Now now, there have been a lot of going-ons within the realm of the game we all know and love as Terraria (what with all its updates and new content and shenanigans), but there have also been many exciting happenings regarding Re-Logic, the community, and the future (cue Inception noises). In this section we’re going to cover some of the great events that have taken place in the community during the past month.

The goal is to keep you informed on everything TCF—as well as creating fun ways for the community to interact with the Times and with each other. As time goes on, I hope to expand on this area with things such as small community contests and events, interactive polls, and member-made comic strips. If you have an idea for such an event, please let me know by contacting me by PM or email!

divider.png

First up, we're gonna talk about the awesome progress being made on the Mac and Linux ports being worked on by the (epic) developer @Skiphs. That's right, they are almost here! After many years of waiting, these ports are almost finished, and are looking to be released by the end of this month. All you Mac and Linux users, prepare yourselves! The ports are on their way.

Once released, these versions will both be fully updated to the most recent update (1.3) and you'll be able to play across all three of the computer platforms (PC/Mac/Linux). As you can see in the spoiler screenshots below, multiplayer is functioning on both platforms. (Big thank you to Cenx and Skiphs for allowing us to share these top secret images!)

AkNuC4f.png

Linux

Ii5HP7A.jpg

Macintosh

divider.png

qeu6clm.png

One of the next topics we’ll be covering today is the progression made on Re-Logic’s latest project, Terraria: Otherworld. For those of you who don’t know, Otherworld is an upcoming spinoff Terraria game developed in collaboration of Re-Logic and Engine Software. This past month, multiple spoilers have been revealed showing the progress that has been made.

In the alpha screenshot pictured below, you can see the completely redesigned character sprites as well as several different wood land creatures. This change to the character model—along with many customization options—will allow players to delve into the Otherworld universe like never before, says Loki.

(click to view)

In the following spoiler, three new weapons are revealed: the Holy Staff, the Amethyst Staff, and the Topaz Staff. All three are magical weapons that will help you in your journey to push back the Corruption. View the image below.

(click to view)

To read more about Otherworld, visit the Terraria: Otherworld website. If you wish to see more spoilers, head over to the Otherworld Spoiler Compendium. And, if you want to post your theories/observations or just talk about the new Terraria game, TCF has it's own section devoted entirely to T:OW.

divider.png

In other news, Re-Logic has recently announced their partnership with One Drop Yo-Yos. From One Drop's official Facebook:

"Last week we announced our amazing partnership with Re-Logic who make the sandbox indie game Terraria. The latest update is jam packed with a total of 10 One Drop Yo-Yos! The ultimate yo-yo in the game the "Terrarian", sports a damage power of 190 and a critical hit chance of 14%, will be coming to reality."

That's right. You'll be able to purchase a real-life Terrarian yoyo! Take a look at the cover art below.

bqim7LM.jpg

And lastly, we have some exciting news! Lead developer, Cenx, has announced that she is expecting.
1b4eed6ed4b41219012bdc8c6f4ea8df.png

Be sure to congratulate Whitney and Andrew and remember to send good vibes their way!

kdcROYP.png

NWDNB9J.png

Out of all the brand-new and shiny features 1.3 added to our beloved Terraria, perhaps one of the most long-awaited items is none other than the fabled Portal Gun. The idea of including such an item in the game started long ago. Based off, of course, Valve’s extremely successful Portal franchise, this new and highly coveted feature adds a whole new set of yet unexplored paths of creativity to the game. Imagine the possibilities: Puzzle and adventure maps, new engineered ways of travel, out-smarting your enemies by teleporting where they cannot follow!

That’s right. After many years of constant suggestion threads and nagging the developers, it’s finally here. And today we’re going to explore some of the creative ways, you, the community, have been making use of the Portal Gun.

divider.png

First up, we're going to be featuring a wonderfully creative Portal Map made by none other than community member JereTheJuggler. This map contains several neat features, including a already-supplied Portal Gun, walls/blocks that portals can't be placed on, dangerous traps, and a secret Easter egg. It features 10 different puzzles, each increasingly more difficult than the last. Although the map is short, it's overall very fun, unique, challenging and creative—and JereTheJuggler promises a new (and lengthier) map is on it's way!

Feel free to download the map here on the creator's thread or over on Curse Maps. Or, if you want to see what the map is like before you go through all the hard work of downloading it (not really; you should go ahead and download it already because it's so fun), you can check out two popular YouTuber's playthroughs of it.

UPDATE! JereTheJuggler has fulfilled his promise and has delivered yet another awesome Portal Puzzle map! You can view and download "Portal Gun Puzzles 2: The Sequel" here.

divider.png

Next, we have a mock Portal-themed "level" created by user Rariaz using a variety of inventive techniques involving wall-placement and painting to get it to look just right. Check out the image below or visit his thread for more.

qq86XiW.jpg

divider.png

Lastly, we have a compendium of tricks and treats created by several different forum members showcasing how using the Portal Gun in various ways can lead to a lot of fun times—from modes of travel to plain nonsense.

First up, we have the infinite-quadruple-portal-loop (as I'm calling it) made by Supeh Mario and Jenosis.

AGiq2H1.gif

Next, we have an instructional video on how to use Portals to quickly travel across your world at top-speeds! Brought to you by member ofir.

Finally, we have another fun video showing how one can achieve a stellar moon-jump, allowing you to ride high into the skies with your trusty Slime mount, made by member BryTheGamer.

divider.png

It's pretty awesome what you can do with Portals, huh? And that's just the very beginning—there's plenty left for you to build and discover. Portals are a whole new outlet for this awesome community's seemingly boundless creativity! So bring it on. If your map or invention is unique, then who knows? Maybe one day it'll be featured in the Terrarian Times. If you think you have something cool that you made with the new Portal gun, feel free to share it in the comments below! For now, let's teleport onto the next section, shall we?

kdcROYP.png

Terraria Streamer Features

Hello folks! Today, we are going to feature several (moderately) unknown streamers from the Terraria community. These streamers, whether they are streaming Terraria (along with other games) or streaming themselves making digital art, never fail to provide hours of entertainment. This section is meant to recognize those livestreamers who work hard to broadcast doing what they love: playing Terraria and giving back to the community.

I'll be splitting our features up into two groups: Artists and Gamers--featuring two streamers for each. We'll be focusing on the latter first.

divider.png

YVh2KNZ.png
The first of our gamer streamer-features is none other than forum member and Twitch broadcaster, ShawKill! Russell "ShawKill" Davidson has been an avid supporter of the game and its community since Terraria's release, in early 2011. ShawKill broadcasts many different games (including Terraria), such as Don't Starve, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Issac, along with several AAA titles as well. ShawKill streams every weekday from 8 AM to 12 PM (PST) and every weekend from 8 AM and 8 PM (PST). Definitely be sure to check out his fun, energetic streams!

Here's some more info about ShawKill:
So, obviously, my name is ShawKill. My real name is Russell Davidson. I tend to play Terraria at a "pro" level, which means I typically do Hardcore Challenges, and/or Speedruns. As of the last patch (1.2.4.1), I had 10 Consecutive World Records, and still hold 5 of those to date; including beating the Wall of Flesh in 21 minutes and 33 seconds, beating HERO's Speedrun by 1 minute. I am always looking for a new challenge, and I have played Terraria since the day after release, and I have supported this game even in its (not so big) beginnings.

To read more about what ShawKill does, along with a schedule for when he'll be playing Terraria, be sure to visit his Twitch Channel which contains all this information and more!

divider.png

18570.jpg

Grapz224

Grapz224 is another awesome forum member and Terraria streamer. He's also been streaming Terraria since it's early days and has recently delved back into the game since the 1.3 update. He is currently broadcasting a 1.3 playthrough with his good friend Wimky joining him. In his spare time, Grapz224 also runs a video gaming blog, which you can check out here. To get a little info about his streaming, I interviewed Grapz224. Read it below!

Mystery: Hey there Grapz224! Could you give us all a little general information about your channel and what you do?

Grapz224: I am known as Grapz224 over on twitch, too. http://(twitch.tv/grapz224) I stream PC games, and run a blog. http://(grapzgaming.blogspot.com). I love my audience, and enjoy having good talks with them. While I am small now, I have talked to people about a ton of different topics. I also just enjoy a good laugh or two. I try to keep my audience entertained to the best of my knowledge. My stream is a very upbeat and happy place

Mystery: And what motiviates you to stream, mainly? What keeps you going?

Grapz224: My love of games. I have played video games for as long as I can remember, and I love talking to people who have played the same games, as their stories - their experiences - are often very different, even if we are playing the same game.

Mystery: And how often do you stream?

Grapz224: I try to stream at LEAST once a week, but if I am doing a series I will stream until there isn't an audience for it anymore - or something happens. I plan on doing some new series soon, but I don't know what. When I am streaming though, I try to do it every day.

divider.png

374.jpg

Szaila
Moving on to our community artist portion of this section, our first victim is beloved forum member Szaila! That's right, not only does Szaila create magnificent digital art, she also livestreams when she does it! Szaila's streams are always hilariously fun and an overall enjoyable experience. If you like art, Terraria, and streaming then this channel is for you. As you can read below, I asked Szaila several questions about her livestreams to better fully grasp the what and why of her broadcasts.

Give us some info about your channel!

My channel name is Szaila, a name I've used on multiple streaming sites like Twitch and Picarto and just recently over at livestream.com. My main channel which I use, however, is Twitch.

What do you do, specifically?

What I do is draw. I draw various things such as my own characters, others' characters, doodles and fanart, sometimes I do raffles where a random person from the audience wins a request of a little derpy drawing I will make for them.
I usually have a list of songs playing in the background as well, however, you don't have to listen to those:p They're mostly for my own entertainment. I also usually try to communicate with my audience as much as I can, while not halting the stream completely. Wouldn't want you to feel left out, now would we?~

Why do you do it?

I first started streaming early this year, and all that I've gotten from it is fun. So much fun. Not only for me, but for the audience as well. Streaming made me want to draw more, it gave me inspiration and motivation to draw more, something I've been having problems with these past months. Streaming pushed me to draw, forced me to continue, which I really needed.
I might not stream in bucketloads, but when I stream, I make sure to focus on quality. For me it's quality over quantity.

Where can we find your channel?

You can find me at http://twitch.tv/szaila where I will be streaming next saturday (25/7) at 18:00/6pm CEST. From there we'll see how it'll go as I don't have any spesific plans for when I will end it~
Who knows, maybe I'll break my 16 hour record?

Example of Szaila's art:
e6dT3x2.png

divider.png

21970.jpg

ajidot
And lastly, we have forum member and artist, ajidot! ajidot is a well-known request and comic artist who also sometimes streams his art-making! ajidot's streams are always full of fun (and chaos)! Throughout the streams, ajidot will take requests from the chat and draw them in front of your very eyes! Take a look at what ajidot says about his channel:

My channel is mostly about art, especially about having fun together the host and the chat. I stream on Twitch, and for about... 3~4 hours per stream on average, I have no fixed schedule

I draw requests, give out doodles, draw together with , and sometimes play games. Ah, I use CLIP studio paint for drawing, and use a tablet called 'bamboo pen'.
people

I stream to have fun with people, and the comments the chat gives motivates me to draw more. My main audience for requests are basically TCF members =w=

Be sure to check out Ajidot the next time he streams!
Example of ajidot's art:
1_3_hype___________________by_ajidot-d8yttim.png

kdcROYP.png

KeboRtT.png
Poll time! Answer this edition's question:

What's your favorite developer armor/equipment?

Use: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll366311xB12f46A3-14 to vote and feel free to discuss your answers in the comments below!

kdcROYP.png

The Mysterious Outro

Well, Terrarians! That about wraps things up for this edition of the Terrarian Times. I sincerely hope you're all enjoying the spectacular new update provided to us by our amazing developers and you can all rest assured that they are still working very hard to make sure that Terraria will remain the incredibly enjoyable experience that it has been for the past five years. I just want to briefly pause to thank all the people who made this past update possible, specifically the developers and beta-testers.

@Redigit and @Cenx: Where would we be without you two? You provide the direction and focus needed to make this game (and community) what it is. Your countless hours spent brainstorming and organizing and yelling at the beta-testers do not go unappreciated. You both are hard-working and really are an amazing duo. I look forward to seeing what you, and Re-Logic, has in store for us in the future and wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors. Being a mom, included!

@Yoraiz0r: You're a badass. Just sayin'. I have never seen someone as dedicated and willing to spend hundreds of painstaking hours drenched in code and being harassed by us beta testers to fix everything as you are. Really, you are a true and irreplaceable asset to Terraria and you have helped shape what it is going to be for years to come. Thank you for all your hard work. You deserve a long, long vacation. Somewhere. Anywhere. You're awesome.

@Skiphs: The Pikachu himself. You are a code-wrangling, bug-smashing, complete and utter champion. Thank you for all your hard work. And thank you for the upcoming, long (long) awaited Mac and Linux ports. Seriously, thank you (all those forum posts were getting slightly annoying ;)). You and your work are greatly appreciated and you are a true Terrarian hero. If you were a Pokemon (which you are), I'd choose you!

@Crowno,@Lazure and @Jimmarn: Wow! May I just say that you three are some of the most talented artists I know. You brought a new, revitalized look-and-feel to Terraria these past few months and it is probably one of my favorite things added to the game. From the newest Lunar weapons and armor, to the new backgrounds. From the cute and cuddly pets to the terrifying final boss. All of it... brilliant. Your art is what brings the unique feel that only Terraria has; one that many of us will remember forever. The creativity that the three of you possess is astounding. Thank you!

@Arkhalis: Thank you. You are a beast when it comes to beta-testing and always a joy to play with. You're always there to keep us in-line and to provide us whatever we need to make testing effective. It's been a great pleasure working with you, and I hope you know your work is forever appreciated! Terraria and the 1.3 update is what it is because you helped polish and shine it. GG, man.

@All beta-testers, past and present: You all are great. Thank you for everything: the countless playthroughs, in-jokes, and hysterical memories. Oh, and not to mention making the game 100% better. You've all been a great pleasure to work with. Thank you. Except you, @Omnir.

And thank you all for reading and thank you for all the awesome support you've provided the game and the Re-Logic team in these past few weeks. Seriously—we couldn't have done it without you. The bug reporting, the feedback, the awesome fan-content and endless uplifting comments; you rock! You, the community, are part of what makes this game so special. Yep, that's right! And I need your help! If you see something awesome that you think should be featured, whether it be some art, a cool map, or just some awesome going-ons that should be recognized, be sure to send it my way. You can contact me via [email protected] or by PMing me here on the forums! Your suggestions and feedback are much appreciated.

divider.png

If you are interested in receiving The Terrarian Times news and updates via email, you can now sign up here! It's completely free and you get all the latest TCF news via your email of choice. Sign up! It's much appreciated.

Until next time, Terrarians!

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but part of me wonders what fate has in store for the original Terraria now that 1.3 is out and Otherworld is being worked on? Are we going to have future content updates or just things like mini patches to add in new blocks, items, etc?

Not saying the team or those selected for such a task should get on it, by all means, I hope they take a nice long vacation; I just hope Terraria isn't done in terms of new content. I'd love to see like... an update of 1.3's caliber say a year or two(or less, but like I said take as much time as you want break-wise, you guys are awesome and you've made your contributions to the game more than enough, especially when you're charging zero outside of the initial Terraria priace, which even then goes on sale for absurdly low price half the time on Steam). Maybe a boss harder than the final boss but not technically the final boss. Kinda like how Duke Fishron was for awhile. Something to make good use of our final boss drops other than farming the same final boss with them or other such things.

There is one request I have from the bottom of my heart though. MAKE THROWING IT'S OWN CLASS LIKE YOU DID SUMMONEEEEER! Pleez~! *flails*

...Or not. You guys are the bosses, not me, and what you've put forwards thus far is amazing in it's own right. I hope you guys don't abandon your roots for Otherworld! :3

I wish I could be a part of the terraria times sometimes, and talk about how terraria has changed since it came out :D
P.S: Screw you jeremiah! :p

Me can no build good. Me can no draw good.

Does somehow having a life count as an accomplishment? No? Hm.
Oh, and congrats to you, Cenx and Red!

Congrats Redigit and Cenx on your baby! I wonder what gender it will be...
And congrats to the whole terraria team for making such an awesome game. Would have probably died of boredom without it. XD
P.S: Portal gun=love
Portal gun=life XD

Back
Top Bottom