Map-Adventure The Terrarian Zebes (Super Metroid world) ~2 1/2 hrs to complete

Duze

Terrarian
11/26 7:50pm PST, Revision: I updated the chests to look upgrade specific, added boss articles, fixed a few little things and changed around some of the main items (sorry I forgot about the lucky horseshoe before!)

A while back, in 1.0.5 (I think?), Chazara made a portion of the Super Metroid world, Zebes, as an adventure map, but didn't finish it. He put a ton of time into it from what I remember, and I playtested it pretty thoroughly. It was a fun project at the time, and when he left, a while later, I picked up the remainder of it to finish it.

I'm not exactly proud of it as it's basically a copy of the Super Metroid world, so while it took a lot of effort, it didn't require a ton of creativity. Still, it ports very well. Most of it was done in TEdit while Chazara might have used a little Buildaria for testing, and I might have done the same. Suffice it to say, the items are a little outdated, and it is a pretty typical style of adventure map with tricky jumps and it maintains a fair amount of difficulty (until the last weapon).

The goal is to collect as many gems as possible, and try to die as little as possible of course.

You can try to finish the map, then post your outcome here, points being:
Sapphire - 1 pt
Emerald - 5pts
Ruby - 5pts
Topaz - 10pts
Amethyst - 10pts
Diamond - 30pts

For an optional challenge, each death will subtract 1 point.

2585-166_zpsyne2p2vl.png

2459-166_zpsfxwurmkz.png

2333-166_zpsdfyknjji.png

2207-922_zpsxzwpq7ri.png

2207-796_zpsochymzr5.png

1829-544_zps4pjvxgbj.png

1955-166_zpsbdd4jiou.png

1955-670_zpspbmfnvqw.png

2081-670_zpshgggyuws.png

1955-40_zpst7mnurh5.png

2081-166_zpselgjvkyk.png

The signs explain which blocks can be broken as you progress, as per usual adventure map.

Curseforge link

Attachments

• Terrarian Zebes.zip
    225.1 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:
I would love to see something like this remade with the new blocks available. You can be much more creative now.

Just the fact that wires didn't even exist back then.

I'm going to play more Terraria to get familiarity with the game again (I don't know half of the new features :S). Though the map was updated to 1.1.2 at least, so there are some wires.

I love this type of thing and immediately jumped in to record-- only, it's extremely dark (at least in the first areas.) Are any torches/lights placed around later on? I know that isn't very Metroid, but it helps. I did bring in Night Owl pots to help a bit. It was only after recording that I realized that the Water Candle is meant to be used as a light source...or am I wrong about that?

Regardless, thank you for finishing this up and making sure it saw a release.

It is definitely dark. It was originally a "map feature," but I think I'll change that part of the original intention with some light. The modded version for TConfig contained invisible proximity-activated lights throughout the whole map which warrants a vanilla style of lighting... yeah, so I will probably get on top of that in some time. Doing music editing atm.

Could this be played in multiplayer and if not could it be possible to make it playable in multiplayer?

Honestly, this is all I am going to finish on this map. The map still feels like a cheese, because the boss arenas are so tiny, and it's just a giant copy of the original map, and even feels kinda cheesy. I guess it's cool that it ports over so well because the Terraria guy with and without the red balloon jumps the same height as Samus? but the rest is kinda whatever.

Really, what is making me annoyed with this whole thing is that I spent more than a thousand hours, I think, on making the stupid tConfig mod and map with the custom tiles and all that nonsense. Actually, the coolest thing about that mod was the powerbomb... and the powerbomb door :), yeah, I really liked those. The rest was a drag. I actually, for the powerbomb, made a tiny little yellow oval gradient, then just used some resizing code to superimpose it over the screen. The dumb sprite would weird out and fly off the screen, but because it got big so quick, you could see it run away. So after some dinking around, I made it MOVE diagonally down toward the player so it kind of stayed in the middle of the screen. I dunno.

Honestly, this is all I am going to finish on this map. The map still feels like a cheese, because the boss arenas are so tiny, and it's just a giant copy of the original map, and even feels kinda cheesy. I guess it's cool that it ports over so well because the Terraria guy with and without the red balloon jumps the same height as Samus? but the rest is kinda whatever.

Really, what is making me annoyed with this whole thing is that I spent more than a thousand hours, I think, on making the stupid tConfig mod and map with the custom tiles and all that nonsense. Actually, the coolest thing about that mod was the powerbomb... and the powerbomb door :), yeah, I really liked those. The rest was a drag. I actually, for the powerbomb, made a tiny little yellow oval gradient, then just used some resizing code to superimpose it over the screen. The dumb sprite would weird out and fly off the screen, but because it got big so quick, you could see it run away. So after some dinking around, I made it MOVE diagonally down toward the player so it kind of stayed in the middle of the screen. I dunno.

Put a teleporter in each tiny boss room that transports the player to a much bigger boss arena for the fight, and then returns them after its over.

Back
Top Bottom