Weapons & Equip The Thing Flinger: A Versatile New Weapon

Do you like the Thing Flinger?

• Yea! I want to shoot my junk!

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • It is a good idea, but I wouldn't use it.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Meh, it's okay.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Could use work. (Please tell why.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like flinging stuff. (No)

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Huzbubber Tim

Ice Queen
(Note: You may not use my suggestion in any mods, as I am currently in the process of making a mod of my own that is implementing most of my suggestions. Thank you for understanding!)
Are you tired of your inventory getting filled with junk you don't need? Too many items you can't sell but want to rid of? Well, I suggest a new weapon to solve all that: the Thing Flinger!

Thing Flinger.png

The Thing Flinger is a weapon that can use any item as ammunition, with damage and effects that change based on what is fired. Items are fired in the order they are in the inventory, favorited items will not be fired.

The Thing Flinger is purchased from the Goblin Tinkerer after defeating Skeletron for 30 gold.

Thing Flinger:
Damage: Rarity or Base Damage of flung weapons.
Damage Type: Classless
Knockback: Inherits knockback of flung items, 3 for items with no knockback stat
Use Time: 26 (Average)
Velocity: 5
Critical Strike Chance: Inherits crit chance of flung items, 4% for items with no crit chance stat
Tooltip: "One man's trash is another man's ammunition."
"Can launch any item. Different items do different damage when fired."
Rarity: Green
Buy price: 30 Gold
Flung items below blue rarity have a 25% chance to be retrieved, all other items can always be retrieved.
Can not obtain modifiers.

When firing certain items from the Thing Flinger, certain things will happen.

Weapons/Tools: Any item that can deal damage deals its respective damage when flung, includes ammo items. Weapons that fire projectiles will shoot their respective projectile (does not apply to flails, whips, etc.)

Armor/Accessories: Deals damage equal to the defense the item gives, immunity accessories inflict the debuff they prevent for 5 seconds.

Blocks: Places the respective tile wherever the projectile lands.

Potions/Flasks: Applies the corresponding buff to players and corresponding debuff to enemies. Health/mana potions can heal players and restore mana, though health potions only restore 1/4 of their usual health.

Explosives: Throws the respective explosive projectile.

Thing Flinger: Flinging a Thing Flinger will cause another piece of ammunition to launch from the launched Thing Flinger, but will only do 1/2 of the Damage. If a Thing Flinger is thrown from a thrown Thing Flinger, it will throw another Thing Flinger that deals 1/2 of the reduced damage. This can stack as many times as possible, allowing for an entire inventory's worth of Thing Flingers to be launched at once. However, the damage of each Thing Flinger drastically decreases as more are fired.

Everything Else: Damage depends on the rarity. Rarity damages: Gray=10, White=15, Blue=20, Green=30, Orange=35, Light Red=40, Pink=50, Light Purple=55, Lime=60, Yellow=70, Cyan=85, Red=100, Purple= 120, Amber=40, Rainbow=90, Fiery Red=100.

Thank you for reading my (slightly overcomplicated) suggestion! I would gladly accept advice and constructive criticism!

Last edited:
Maybe make items of a certain rarity or higher unable to be consumed by it, because accidentally shooting away your Cell Phone or that last material you needed for the Ankh Shield would suck.

Maybe make items of a certain rarity or higher unable to be consumed by it, because accidentally shooting away your Cell Phone or that last material you needed for the Ankh Shield would suck.

Now that I think about it, I am going to change the way that the ammunition works. Thanks for the feedback, though!

Are you tired of your inventory getting filled with junk you don't need? Too many items you can't sell but want to rid of? Well, I suggest a new weapon to solve all that: the Thing Flinger!

View attachment 196399

The Thing Flinger is a ranged weapon that can use any item as ammunition. It does 20 base damage, but the damage can change based on what is fired. Items are fired by selecting the item in your inventory and clicking shift+A, causing it to be ammunition for the flinger.

The Thing Flinger is purchased from the Goblin Tinkerer after defeating Skeletron. It costs 30 Gold.

Thing Flinger:
Damage: 20 (Base)
Knockback: 3
Use Time: 26
Crit. Strike Chance: 4%
Velocity: 5
Tooltip: "One man's trash is another man's ammunition."
"Can launch any item. Different items do different damage when fired."
Rarity: Green
Buy/Sell: 30 Gold/10 Gold
Flung items have a 25% chance to be retrieved.
Best modifier is Unreal.

When firing certain items from the Thing Flinger, certain things will happen.

Weapons/Tools: When weapons are shot from the Thing Flinger, they will do the amount of damage that the weapon itself does. (Example: You launch a Terra Blade doing 100 damage, the thrown Terra Blade will do 100 damage.) Same applies to anything else that does damage, like ammo.

Potions: If a potion/flask is thrown from the Flinger, it will give whatever it came in contact the corresponding buff/debuff would be applied to the enemy. This also means that you could restore player health/mana with those potions, but they would still get health/mana sickness. However, the buff/debuff would only last for five seconds. This also applies to Cursed Flame/Ichor spell tomes. Note that if you throw pure Ichor/Hellstone/other ingredients to potions, that they will NOT give a debuff.

Everything Else: Does 20 damage.

I have thought this over many times in my head as to if it would be possible to code. Though I have never looked into the code of Terraria, I have theorized a way this could work.

The Flinger would detect the item in the last slot. If it had a damage value (not sure if that's how it works), it would change the damage dealt from 20. The same would go for potions. If it inflicted a buff/debuff (still not sure), it would give that buff/debuff.

The actual projectile would just be the texture of the item.

(I tried my hardest to explain my thinking here. It was a little difficult.)

Thank you for reading my (slightly overcomplicated) suggestion! I would gladly accept advice and constructive criticism!

It’s been awhile since I was keeping track of equipment suggustions, and...
Oh, my, gosh... ME WANTY WEAPON!!!

It sounds amazing! However, it can be altered a little bit to where it is perfect! Calls, suggustions time (Yoda says)

-The way it sorts it ammunition will be kinda hard, as you aren’t only getting the same block as it would be a pain to get in the inventory every time and select the ammo. Maybe if it was like every item that comes in your inventory that you haven’t ran your mouse over (you know, like when you get a new item in your inventory and a light blue indicator highlights over it indicating it isn’t new.) (It also can be sorted by rarity of the item) (You also said it would be kinda hard to code. I don’t Code that much and problem won’t be advance in coding for a while, but maybe a tip for coding it. You could use the light blue highlight as a indicator that it will be used as ammunition first
-Why throw weapons? It would be annoying if you accidentally shift+A on your weapon during a boss battle and only getting a 25% chance on getting it back.
-Why get the thing you flinched back? Wasn’t the whole point to get rid of trash in a fun way?

That’s all! That is something I never thought of or saw of on the forums!

It’s been awhile since I was keeping track of equipment suggustions, and...
Oh, my, gosh... ME WANTY WEAPON!!!

It sounds amazing! However, it can be altered a little bit to where it is perfect! Calls, suggustions time (Yoda says)

-The way it sorts it ammunition will be kinda hard, as you aren’t only getting the same block as it would be a pain to get in the inventory every time and select the ammo. Maybe if it was like every item that comes in your inventory that you haven’t ran your mouse over (you know, like when you get a new item in your inventory and a light blue indicator highlights over it indicating it isn’t new.) (It also can be sorted by rarity of the item) (You also said it would be kinda hard to code. I don’t Code that much and problem won’t be advance in coding for a while, but maybe a tip for coding it. You could use the light blue highlight as a indicator that it will be used as ammunition first
-Why throw weapons? It would be annoying if you accidentally shift+A on your weapon during a boss battle and only getting a 25% chance on getting it back.
-Why get the thing you flinched back? Wasn’t the whole point to get rid of trash in a fun way?

That’s all! That is something I never thought of or saw of on the forums!
Thanks for the feedback! For the ammunition method, maybe I could change that up a bit, like with the blue highlight. As for weapons and throwing them, I can’t really figure a way around that other than getting rid of weapon throwing, and I really like the idea of just chucking a Meowmere at someone, unless you have any ideas for how that could work. And for retrieving items, I thought it might be nice to sometimes be able to use an item twice as ammunition. Thanks for the feedback though!

Ooooh, I like this idea. But while reading through it, I kinda had a silly thought as an alternate means of affecting damage- for everything that doesn't have an explicit effect (either damage or potion effect), rather than giving it a flat 20 damage no matter what... base it on the item's rarity.

In other words, the higher the rarity, the more damage the item does when flung. Maybe take the Rarity value (which for most things will be 0-10, though flinging accessories could get you 11- throwing solar wings sounds hilarious), multiply it by 3, and add that to the damage of the item? (So a regular white item would just do 20, while a Green item (rarity 2) would do 26 and a Red item (rarity 10) would do 50.)

Special exceptions would have to be made for expert and quest items (-11 and -2 rarity, respectively), though, so that might be a little weird. (Mostly I find the idea of lobbing wings for 53 damage to be hilarious, though.)

Ooooh, I like this idea. But while reading through it, I kinda had a silly thought as an alternate means of affecting damage- for everything that doesn't have an explicit effect (either damage or potion effect), rather than giving it a flat 20 damage no matter what... base it on the item's rarity.

In other words, the higher the rarity, the more damage the item does when flung. Maybe take the Rarity value (which for most things will be 0-10, though flinging accessories could get you 11- throwing solar wings sounds hilarious), multiply it by 3, and add that to the damage of the item? (So a regular white item would just do 20, while a Green item (rarity 2) would do 26 and a Red item (rarity 10) would do 50.)

Special exceptions would have to be made for expert and quest items (-11 and -2 rarity, respectively), though, so that might be a little weird. (Mostly I find the idea of lobbing wings for 53 damage to be hilarious, though.)
Ooh, good idea! I’ll add that when I can!

Back
Top Bottom