tModLoader The Thorium Mod

Does someone wanna play this mod with me? I can easily make a server. Contact me if interested!!!
1.3 mods in multiplayer have bugs which need fixing, such as mobs disappearing on hit.
I'd suggest not playing on multiplayer until they're fixed.

Also read: high enough to clutter the hell out of your inventory after you already got one.

Random chance is always funny like this. I'm trying soooo hard to get a Queen Bee trophy and it's just not happening. Let me show you my five whoopie cushions I got instead.
Hey let me start up this new world. Oh look three slimes. I'll kill them all. What...a slime staff? Really?

*Fast forward about 15 hours*

WHY WON'T THIS GOD DAMN ROD DROP?

I seriously farmed the underground Hallow, killed 1000 Chaos elementals, and never ONCE got the damn thing to drop.

Hey let me start up this new world. Oh look three slimes. I'll kill them all. What...a slime staff? Really?

I seriously farmed the underground Hallow, killed 1000 Chaos elementals, and never ONCE got the damn thing to drop.

Build an afk farm or something. :p

Funnily enough, in my very first playthrough of Expert, I got a RoD in the very first Chaos Elemental I killed.

It was such a wonderful day. Shame that it hasn't happened ever since.

On another note: I'm really looking forward to see the healer class in action, it's looking like an amazing new class, even though I'm normally against dedicated healers in games.

Ouch.... I got two within my first 300 kills, the first one dropping from the 20th elemental :p
But then, RnG made sure to repay that by not giving me the Inferno fork... For
... Three... Hours....

Not that rare but in my new expert mage playthrough I got an Eater's Bone on the first EoW kill..
First I got to drop.

Played throughout pre-hardmode. Here is a couple of things I can say about the mod:

BUG: The new enemies in the Dungeon don't know how to open doors (at least that slower skeleton can't), which is odd considering there are doors there and vanilla enemies can, this should be fixed.

The armor sets so far are interesting. Not a big fan of the petal set though, the passive is good but I have a feeling it's just worse than the Jungle set which is much easier to acquire. I'm not calling for broken stuff, especially at Jungle tier level, but it felt silly farming those petal enemies for about an hour when I could have just made a better Jungle set much earlier.
The UFO thing you can make with the Strange Alien drop is incredibly powerful. A spell that lets you target whenever and also lights up? It's just a better Crimson Rod. I love it but I wouldn't call it balanced. The Blood Boiler at the end is an upgrade to the Rod too but that requires 4 staves and is really hard to acquire, not to mention it's mana hungry, so I'm ok with that. The Jungle one is also great and might be my favorite weapon so far. Not a fan of the corrupted counterpart to the Boiler though, felt too situational for those stars to be good.
I like most of the NPC enemies (and villagers too) but the two bosses are kinda mediocre. OK fights but they really don't stand out, especially now on Expert. The snow spider never spawned so I dunno about that.

So far, mod is pretty good.

I may talk about Hardmode later but I'm trying a run as a mage using purely Thorium spells and killing the WoF is being near impossible.

Played throughout pre-hardmode. Here is a couple of things I can say about the mod:

BUG: The new enemies in the Dungeon don't know how to open doors (at least that slower skeleton can't), which is odd considering there are doors there and vanilla enemies can, this should be fixed.

The armor sets so far are interesting. Not a big fan of the petal set though, the passive is good but I have a feeling it's just worse than the Jungle set which is much easier to acquire. I'm not calling for broken stuff, especially at Jungle tier level, but it felt silly farming those petal enemies for about an hour when I could have just made a better Jungle set much earlier.
The UFO thing you can make with the Strange Alien drop is incredibly powerful. A spell that lets you target whenever and also lights up? It's just a better Crimson Rod. I love it but I wouldn't call it balanced. The Blood Boiler at the end is an upgrade to the Rod too but that requires 4 staves and is really hard to acquire, not to mention it's mana hungry, so I'm ok with that. The Jungle one is also great and might be my favorite weapon so far. Not a fan of the corrupted counterpart to the Boiler though, felt too situational for those stars to be good.
I like most of the NPC enemies (and villagers too) but the two bosses are kinda mediocre. OK fights but they really don't stand out, especially now on Expert. The snow spider never spawned so I dunno about that.

I may talk about Hardmode later but I'm trying a run as a mage using purely Thorium spells and killing the WoF is being near impossible.

I wouldnt recommend Thorium spells unless you use like the thorium hammer magic or something.

I actually like the bosses. Thunderbird, provided you don't cheese him, is a pretty interesting concept that vanilla doesn't use until Martians (as in, it's a dance back and forth, jumping over things on the ground) and the jellyfish, while meh on its own, is cool just because it gives some sort of purpose to all those water based items, and I like the "distracting jellyfish" in the sense that they make it so you can't just move away and shoot a gun at it. Gotta be reasonably close and use piercing stuff.

Not amazing bosses to blow the mind of all who see them, but they fit well with prehardmode. Simple concepts on a simple enemy that the player has to find some answer to, just as they need to find good multihit attacks for EoW, or destroy Skeletron's hands.

Also yeah, that alien summon thing is pretty good. The meteorhead minion too. Have you tried that one?

I have, even now with access to Hellstone I'm still using it.

Maybe the bosses should have been faster or have more interesting patterns, the EoC or the Queen Bee are excellent early boss fights (on expert), are very well placed for their tier level and are both very challenging / interesting to play against. During the Thunderbird fight I was just dodging the occasional projectile here and there and the Jellyfish was just unremarkable all around. Compare that with EoC that is all over you once it gets low enough which is super deadly when you have early game armor / limited movement, making a very memorable fight and compare that to the Queen Bee which is very tough, charges at you and is also generally very fast. The fact that you can use the EoC Shield to charge at it while it charges at you to nullify the damage makes that fight extra fun.

I realize my post is sounding a bit like "baww it's too easy" but the main problem here is that they simply weren't that memorable or interesting to fight. I'm being too harsh too, there is nothing inherently wrong with neither, it's just my general feeling towards them.

Haven't found that hammer spell mentioned, is it pre-hardmode?

I have, even now with access to Hellstone I'm still using it.

Maybe the bosses should have been faster or have more interesting patterns, the EoC or the Queen Bee are excellent early boss fights (on expert), are very well placed for their tier level and are both very challenging / interesting to play against. During the Thunderbird fight I was just dodging the occasional projectile here and there and the Jellyfish was just unremarkable all around. Compare that with EoC that is all over you once it gets low enough which is super deadly when you have early game armor / limited movement, making a very memorable fight and compare that to the Queen Bee which is very tough, charges at you and is also generally very fast. The fact that you can use the EoC Shield to charge at it while it charges at you to nullify the damage makes that fight extra fun.

I realize my post is sounding a bit like "baww it's too easy" but the main problem here is that they simply weren't that memorable or interesting to fight. I'm being too harsh too, there is nothing inherently wrong with neither, it's just my general feeling towards them.

Haven't found that hammer spell mentioned, is it pre-hardmode?
It is pre-hardmode, made with thorium bars (20?) at a thorium anvil.
You can change between the 3 damage types (except summon) via crafting after making it.
When you make it with thorium bars, its melee.

k, so ive been gone for a couple of days, and during that time ive been binge playing terraria with a buncha stuff including this, i have found what appears to be a rather large bug.
I have noticed during playing that a bunch of projectile based weapons are not firing towards where the cursor is, so far ive seen it happen with the danger duelshot, the titanium staff, and a few others i cant name right now, with them, they just seem to fire above, or below where the cursor is pointed at, and while it may not seem very significant, it can hinder damage alot because of having to constantly predict where to aim with its weird trajectory.

EDIT: and also, just to clarify, im not talking about the random spread of projectiles, they simply just dont go where the cursor is pointed at.

Back
Top Bottom