tModLoader The Thorium Mod

I got a problem: It seems that the ocean biome actually bugs my world.In it's place there is just water and there is no "ocean" biome.This only affects the ocean in which it spawns.I am pretty sure that this is the only mod to add Ocean stuff (the other big mod i have is Calamity). Is it a general bug or what?

I got a problem: It seems that the ocean biome actually bugs my world.In it's place there is just water and there is no "ocean" biome.This only affects the ocean in which it spawns.I am pretty sure that this is the only mod to add Ocean stuff (the other big mod i have is Calamity). Is it a general bug or what?
From what I've seen, it's a common bug. I'd recommend you get the worldgen preview mod so you can spot this as your world generates.

LINK: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/worldgen-previewer.49753/

I just find a lot of Calamity's content to be pretty uninspired. It adds something like 3-4 new worm bosses and a rehash of EoC and Queen Bee. Just personal preference and at the moment I can't speak on how balanced it is, although I trust it is getting better.

Sorry, I have to chime in here.

Tremor adds a lot of bosses that don't even move/attack in any meaningful way in my experiences with them. Cog Lord is interesting for sure but broken and buggy at the moment. Only boss from Tremor I legitimately liked was the Evil Corn boss. Most items in Tremor also don't really do enough interesting or fun things to make them worth my time. In fact, in my last playthrough I didn't use any items from Tremor and used primarily Thorium/Calamity gear. The bosses from Thorium I've had the most fun with are the Lich and the Star Scouter, both of which are difficult and hard to dodge if you don't overprepare, which is sweet. I've tried to make most of the bosses in Calamity the same way "difficulty-wise", they should be hell to defeat your first time and still difficult but easy on subsequent tries.

"Uninspired", I suppose, if you think the Twins don't look the Eye of Cthulhu and the Destroyer doesn't resemble the Eater of Worlds in the slightest, among others. I'm trying to follow what I think is the best way to make a mod, and that is to make challenging bosses with interesting and fun weapons to compliment them. Calamity bosses have entirely new mechanics behind them if you read about their AIs on the page.

In the end, you can't critique something you haven't tried, at least not in any meaningful way. Sorry for the somewhat-rant here, I'm just working around 40 hours a week trying to make Calamity one of the best mods out there, and seeing this made me slightly sad.

Sorry, I have to chime in here.

Tremor adds a lot of bosses that don't even move/attack in any meaningful way in my experiences with them. Cog Lord is interesting for sure but broken and buggy at the moment. Only boss from Tremor I legitimately liked was the Evil Corn boss. Most items in Tremor also don't really do enough interesting or fun things to make them worth my time. In fact, in my last playthrough I didn't use any items from Tremor and used primarily Thorium/Calamity gear. The bosses from Thorium I've had the most fun with are the Lich and the Star Scouter, both of which are difficult and hard to dodge if you don't overprepare, which is sweet. I've tried to make most of the bosses in Calamity the same way "difficulty-wise", they should be hell to defeat your first time and still difficult but easy on subsequent tries.

"Uninspired", I suppose, if you think the Twins don't look the Eye of Cthulhu and the Destroyer doesn't resemble the Eater of Worlds in the slightest, among others. I'm trying to follow what I think is the best way to make a mod, and that is to make challenging bosses with interesting and fun weapons to compliment them. Calamity bosses have entirely new mechanics behind them if you read about their AIs on the page.

In the end, you can't critique something you haven't tried, at least not in any meaningful way. Sorry for the somewhat-rant here, I'm just working around 40 hours a week trying to make Calamity one of the best mods out there, and seeing this made me slightly sad.

I'll admit that it was a harsh to say it's uninspired, and it's also somewhat misleading. I really only meant the aesthetic design of many of the bosses seems uninspired to me but even that's kind of a stretch. I also want to point out that I did not comment on the immense amount of effort you put into your mod, something which I could never bring myself to do, especially for free.

As far as the mechanical bosses being rehashes of the pre-hardmode bosses, you have to understand that it's their gimmick and only really works once, at least for me. And I stress that this is just my personal opinion. I made no in-depth critique of your mod, and am in no place to do so as I just haven't played enough of it (but might play more in the future!). I do feel guilty about that post though and would take it down at your request. Sorry for offending.

Apologies for any errors in formatting and grammar, I'm about to head off to bed.

Personally, on the subject of mods that fit in with vanilla Terraria, and feel like they could be added, I think none of the big mods do.(Thorium, Spirit, Calamity, Tremor)

In a gameplay perspective, perhaps. However, items tend to be to unique early on compared to vanilla, and spritewise are more detailed. I'm excluding Tremor and Spirit from this thought, because I'm not quite sure/remembering how the early game is "supposedly" gonna be with Spirit, and Tremor actually somewhat maybe does, just based on my memory.

However, one big problem with these mods - Bosses can't feel like their important to fight, unless past Moon Lord, since you can skip them and go through the game fine. All/most bosses in Terraria at least feel like fighting them progresses the game - The few that don't I do tend to not care to fight, even though in mods I do want to fight them. And it is impossible/incredibly hard to make them feel like progress in the game if you mod them in, I do understand that. Post Moon Lord is different in this regard, though, but only one has those - Calamity.

However, of any mods that do feel like they could be an official expansion, I'd say the order goes Thorium, for being a super awesome mod that fits in quite well, to Spirit, for seeming like a super awesome mod that fits in quite well, to Calamity, which I say is lower then those two for being harder with bosses then Terraria, and the sprites aren't quite as Terraria, and then Tremor, for reasons.

Personally, on the subject of mods that fit in with vanilla Terraria, and feel like they could be added, I think none of the big mods do.(Thorium, Spirit, Calamity, Tremor)

In a gameplay perspective, perhaps. However, items tend to be to unique early on compared to vanilla, and spritewise are more detailed. I'm excluding Tremor and Spirit from this thought, because I'm not quite sure/remembering how the early game is "supposedly" gonna be with Spirit, and Tremor actually somewhat maybe does, just based on my memory.

However, one big problem with these mods - Bosses can't feel like their important to fight, unless past Moon Lord, since you can skip them and go through the game fine. All/most bosses in Terraria at least feel like fighting them progresses the game - The few that don't I do tend to not care to fight, even though in mods I do want to fight them. And it is impossible/incredibly hard to make them feel like progress in the game if you mod them in, I do understand that. Post Moon Lord is different in this regard, though, but only one has those - Calamity.

However, of any mods that do feel like they could be an official expansion, I'd say the order goes Thorium, for being a super awesome mod that fits in quite well, to Spirit, for seeming like a super awesome mod that fits in quite well, to Calamity, which I say is lower then those two for being harder with bosses then Terraria, and the sprites aren't quite as Terraria, and then Tremor, for reasons.

But that's really the beauty of mods is it not? Adding something to the game that you felt was lacking, that's one of the main reasons I started the project in the first place. It's all optional, sure, but that makes it better in my honest opinion. I added challenging bosses because I felt the normal vanilla ones were not hard enough, excluding Moon Lord, and the balance in vanilla felt really lacking. Like, the Cultist and Golem are so easy you could literally use gear from the beginning of hardmode to kill them most likely (Titanium Armor, I'm looking at you). I aimed to rectify that, and from the critique I've gotten I have accomplished my goals quite well.

Content does not need to be required for it to be good, look at games like Bloodborne where 8 of the 20 areas are optional yet it's one of the best games ever made in my opinion. I also cannot claim spirit will be any better than any mod right now, it remains to be seen until I have played it myself. As stated previously, you cannot critique something until you've experienced it for yourself.

Last edited:
But that's really the beauty of mods is it not? Adding something to the game that you felt was lacking, that's one of the main reasons I started the project in the first place. It's all optional, sure, but that makes it better in my honest opinion. I added challenging bosses because I felt the normal vanilla ones were not hard enough, excluding Moon Lord, and the balance in vanilla felt really lacking. Like, the Cultist and Golem are so easy you could literally use gear from the beginning of hardmode to kill them most likely (Titanium Armor, I'm looking at you). I aimed to rectify that, and from the critique I've gotten I have accomplished my goals quite well.

Content does not need to be required for it to be good, look at games like Bloodborne where 8 of the 20 areas are optional yet it's one of the best games ever made in my opinion. I also cannot claim spirit will be any better than any mod right now, it remains to be seen until I have played it myself. As stated previously, you cannot critique something until you've experienced it for yourself.
Yes, that is mostly the beauty of mods, but I was mainly talking about an earlier post, although it was with me remembering what was said, so now looking back they said something a bit different. Basically about how the mods are "Re-Logic" quality, and I was mainly saying they aren't Re-Logic quality in my opinion, unfitting of being added to the actual game.

Mods are fun.

I have an idea! I don't know if this would be possible or not..but..a summoning weapon (possibly a mini-tank or soldier or whatever) that uses up bullets and/or rockets from your inventory/ammo slots? :naughty:

Oh and it should be upgradeable throughout the game with different metals for the tank? like..copper tank...gold tank...hellstone tank...cobalt tank..etc:p

Last edited:
Have no one noticed the bug found in multiplayer with Pyromancer set including both summoner set and mage set?
The set effect doesn't even work. Magma seer's set effect does seem to work visually but the 20 damages that ticks actually doesn't even apply to mosters and they look like they are healing back to the original hp. Their set effect works just fine in single player but not for the multiplayer..

Small bug: when I throw Durasteel Javelins with right-click, they are thrown in exactly the same way as left-click, but right-clicking to throw them doesn't consume the item. I am on singleplayer.

Maybe I've done something wrong, but Thorium seems to have tripped merrily into wonderland mode. It started with a goblin invasion that ended with no notice while my friend an I were in multiplayer. About a third of our items just started becoming other things, like potions into golden shields, and mana stars into helmets. Has anyone else had this problem?

The mod is pretty fun, but a lot of the content, especially early game, seems woefully underpowered to the point you'd never even think of using it, even for cthulhu. Some like the Thorium Staff, Magik Staff and various early game weapons such as the frost sets just do no damage. Maybe it's because I'm playing on expert, is the mod not balanced for expert mode?

Maybe I've done something wrong, but Thorium seems to have tripped merrily into wonderland mode. It started with a goblin invasion that ended with no notice while my friend an I were in multiplayer. About a third of our items just started becoming other things, like potions into golden shields, and mana stars into helmets. Has anyone else had this problem?
You got Calamity installed?
The mod is pretty fun, but a lot of the content, especially early game, seems woefully underpowered to the point you'd never even think of using it, even for cthulhu. Some like the Thorium Staff, Magik Staff and various early game weapons such as the frost sets just do no damage. Maybe it's because I'm playing on expert, is the mod not balanced for expert mode?
It IS balanced around expert mode, but some of the items have very brief windows in a playthorugh where they aren't supper weak. Its something I'm well aware of from a design standpoint as being... problematic.

You got Calamity installed?
It IS balanced around expert mode, but some of the items have very brief windows in a playthorugh where they aren't supper weak. Its something I'm well aware of from a design standpoint as being... problematic.
Maybe just give some items general buffs, to at least make them viable around cthulhu and after. For instance, the magik staff and spells hit Cthulhu for 1, it hits most enemies before Cthulhu for 1 too. For how hard it is to craft, it isn't viable at all.

But I can understand that, balancing an item can be hard. Even so, personally I think they could just use some all round buffs to their damage. The issue isn't just that their damage sucks, it's also how much damage they do for how hard it is to make the items. Like, the frost armor is relatively :red:, but it's so easy to make and that's ok.

EDIT: I'm still playing through your mod, Tremor and Calamity, and I wouldn't mind spending more time on the forums just to talk about some of the items. Other than that though, damn you add some really neat stuff.

Oh and, the whole idea of a healing/support class is really neat, but please increase the radius of AOE spells by a lot. It's too small to consistently keep it on a player who's flying and dashing around in the middle of a fight.

Last edited:
Magik staff does a lot more than 1 damage. It stacks 3-4 different types of DoT debuffs AND heals the user.

A lot of the early weapons that aren't good for EoC, are good for Thunderbird and King Slime instead. Not everything needs to be great early, even in vanilla, nobody would really go after expert EoC with wood bows or an iron broadsword, or even an enchanted boomerang. Easy to get, helpful for a small while, then replace it.

Magik staff does a lot more than 1 damage. It stacks 3-4 different types of DoT debuffs AND heals the user.

A lot of the early weapons that aren't good for EoC, are good for Thunderbird and King Slime instead. Not everything needs to be great early, even in vanilla, nobody would really go after expert EoC with wood bows or an iron broadsword, or even an enchanted boomerang. Easy to get, helpful for a small while, then replace it.
Right, I forgot about the DoT, but even so, it's a very low DoT. I think you get something like 30-40 DPS out of it. But you forget one major thing, an iron broadsword doesn't require one of every gemstone. If the broadsword required a diamond, I'd hope it's much better than it is currently.

One last thing, the life weaver set bonus just needs to be nerfed. With a healing staff and the set bonus, a friend of mine face tanked plantera, the first time we did it.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think the main problem is that some weapons are overpowered. Best example I can think of is the Sand Storm Claymore. That thing needs to have its recipe changed and perhaps its stats nerfed. It's kind of weird that the item is built from 2 swords that both drop from the same boss (the first boss in the game to boot) and I recall using that sword up til hardmode because of how good it was.

Right, I forgot about the DoT, but even so, it's a very low DoT. I think you get something like 30-40 DPS out of it. But you forget one major thing, an iron broadsword doesn't require one of every gemstone. If the broadsword required a diamond, I'd hope it's much better than it is currently.
I think the Magik staff (especially amber infused) is intended for use as a "combo" weapon, something to switch to and fire once, then switch over to a main weapon and deal more damage to them while they're burning/ichored/whatever :naughty:

Back
Top Bottom