tModLoader The Thorium Mod

Hi!

I don't know where to submit bugs / ideas so I'll post it here, i'm currently playing with 4 friends on a thorium-modded server.
The only issue right now is that I'm playing summoner and the "Living Wood Sap" item is unobtainable. It's not a 100% drop but it' can only be found in living wood trees, of which there's usually 1, so the drop should be assured, just like the other items you can find in the living wood chest.. I even searched around 10 single player worlds and I feel like it doesn't appear to be in any chest at all. The mod works perfectly in any other way thanks for working on it ! (Bard might be a bit op tho :p)

Hi!

I don't know where to submit bugs / ideas so I'll post it here, i'm currently playing with 4 friends on a thorium-modded server.
The only issue right now is that I'm playing summoner and the "Living Wood Sap" item is unobtainable. It's not a 100% drop but it' can only be found in living wood trees, of which there's usually 1, so the drop should be assured, just like the other items you can find in the living wood chest.. I even searched around 10 single player worlds and I feel like it doesn't appear to be in any chest at all. The mod works perfectly in any other way thanks for working on it ! (Bard might be a bit op tho :p)
You should be able to find one in a living wood chest. Maybe search a few more times and hopefully find one.

While I'm glad bard is as strong as it is (I'm playing bard in a 2 person playthrough with calamity and revengeance enabled, so being able to stay relevant without using a calamity supported armor is nice), healer, especially prehardmode, seems severely underpowered. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out in hardmode or a large multiplayer setting, which I imagine are where it shines.

The person I was playing with who initially tried to go healer had the main complaint of a lack of range, which at least prehardmode I feel is fair due to healer armor lowering non-radiant damage, discouraging you from using non-healer weapons, unlike other armors which are more freeform.

Considering their sounds are modeled after the harp sounds in vanilla Terraria, you're the first I've seen to complain about this in Thorium. That being said, it's been stated a future update will focus on making instruments more "melodic" and less flat-sounding, which should be nice.

In the meantime you'll have to deal with how they sound, unless you mute all sounds or stop using bard items. You'll get used to it. ;)

Unless it's impossible to override or replace sounds, I'll definitely fix it.

Directly copying how vanilla butterflies worked made them whiz around frantically in multiplayer for some reason, they've been properly fixed in this upcoming version though.

Hello. Yesterday I tried to mod terraria for the first time. I installed calamity and thorium. However, it started crashing after playing like 30 minutes. It just goes to the desktop with no message or error description. I also installed the 4gb patch, but it didn't seem to help. I have not found any topics about this kind of crash, which is without errors. Also, I did the rotation of disabling-reloading-resetting etc., however, it did not help as well. Moreover, I found a couple of posts that I could install both mods and I have also seen others playing with 20-30 mods with no problems. Furthermore, when it was not borderless fullscreen and I alt-tabbed, the probability of crashing sooner grew and it usually did so, too. I have installed the latest versions of the mods and tModloader. I do not know which mod is causing the problem, but I think it is the Thorium mod, because there were more complaints about that in the various forum posts.

Edit: Somehow it stopped crashing. What I did was create a new world and played in it like 30-40minutes, but nothing happened. Then I decided to check if the same thing was happening on the crashing save, but I have been playing for an hour and a half and I have also been alt-tabbing, but it hasn't crashed yet. I don't know how it got fixed. Maybe I had to restart my computer?

Edit: It started crashing again after a couple of hours. Tried launching in admin mode, deleting Thorium cache file (metal_clank), reinstalling Terraria and the mods.

Last edited:
I love the idea of playing a paladin with a bit of self healing and tanking, and a solo healer is doing that for me, however I gotta ask, Why are scythes so :red:? They do so little damage and even the Poison prickler does significantly more damage than the best scythe you can get pre-hardmode.
Would'nt it be a great idea that if items that "Corrupt your radiant powers" made you deal damage on par with lets say melee, but make your abandon healing/ reduce it? Or even add accessories that cause damage done with scythes to steal a percentage of the damage you deal as life?

When I look at the healer I get real white mage vibes, but the damage is lacking for how much healing you get. (and the %-reduced non radiant damage blows hard)
There must be some way to tune it to be viable solo. (I was trying to do a sort of grim reaper character that summons a minion to aide him but the damage is much too lacking in order to make it work)

When I look at the healer I get real white mage vibes, but the damage is lacking for how much healing you get. (and the %-reduced non radiant damage blows hard)
There must be some way to tune it to be viable solo. (I was trying to do a sort of grim reaper character that summons a minion to aide him but the damage is much too lacking in order to make it work)
I've felt for a while that as cool as Healer is (and it's honestly my favourite class, conceptually), it needs a pretty heavy rework. I think the big thing is that it still uses Mana. Summoner gets away with that because the mana costs of summons are pretty much just incidental, so it doesn't even need to add more mana. Its real resource is summon slots. Healer, on the other hand, is still very mana-dependent, which I believe ends up being the main reason why it nerfs other damage - so that healers will use healer weapons, and not just go secondary mage for damage. My old idea may not have been perfect, but I still believe that creating a "Faith" resource for healers to use in place of Mana, and some different mechanics on recovering it to make it distinct and not just a "second mana bar" would be the key step to making them a better balanced class.

Is there still an aquatic depths message after beating Plantera? The past two times I beat Plantera, I didn't get the message; I only saw the messages about the dungeon and illumite ore. I didn't see the aquatic depths message after beating Golem either. The aquatic depths do still get stronger, though, and I still was able to battle Abyssion.

Is there still an aquatic depths message after beating Plantera? The past two times I beat Plantera, I didn't get the message; I only saw the messages about the dungeon and illumite ore. I didn't see the aquatic depths message after beating Golem either. The aquatic depths do still get stronger, though, and I still was able to battle Abyssion.
https://thoriummod.gamepedia.com/Aquatic_Depths
its on the notes section (the second one)

https://thoriummod.gamepedia.com/Aquatic_Depths
its on the notes section (the second one)
The issue is that there is no "Something stirs in the Aquatic Depths" message after killing Plantera.

EDIT:
This is a screenshot from a new world I just made.
Screenshot (12).png

Last edited:
Sorry if this is asked before but i couldnt find it. I bought a server from citadelservers and playing thorium mod with my friends. We are in pre-hard mode now and aquatic dephts biome has been disappeared from world. I wonder if the new ores will be generated after plantera or they will never be generated? What can i do for prevent that disappears? There is no option for steam cloud on citadelservers panel.

Ah, I'm glad to hear the Schrodinger's Butterfly issue has been solved. Trying to catch them when they're popping in and out of existence at random is, while a sporting experience, not all that pleasant. I have noticed another, possibly related issue. While you've stated these butterflies are supposed to work the same as Vanilla ones, I've noticed that, unlike Vanilla critters, and despite having the Consumable tag, you cannot actually use them to set them free. Holding one in hand and attempting to left click does nothing.

Speaking of Butterflies... This actually has nothing to do with Butterflies, but they're tangentially related to the Summoner class so my point stands.
I've been playing through Thorium as a Summoner, and I have a few suggestions and thoughts.
(Note: I have previously mentioned some gripes with how Thorium's summoning weapons work differently in comparison to Vanilla summoning weapons. I will not restate those here as they've already been noted.)

A few thoughts I've had:
Firstly, I feel the Strange Skull (and likely the Phantom Wand due to functioning almost identically) are a tad too difficult to use. In any confined space, they tend to appear inside walls and as such, cannot shoot, immensely limiting their effectiveness in anything but the widest open of wide open arenas. Sometimes they will even spawn under the arena floor if in a wide open arena. I feel this could possibly be rectified by giving their projectiles similar wall-passing ability to the Starfury's stars, wherein they will pass through a wall if they spawn inside one or there's one right in front of the skull, but after entering a wider section of open air, they collide with any other blocks fine. I feel this would maintain the balance while allowing the weapon to actually be usable in 60% more cases.

Secondly, I feel the Void Lance is a bit underpowered, honestly, considering you need to beat Coznix to get it. Mainly its range is absolutely horrendous. The gate only seems to attack things that are within arm's reach of it, and that makes effectively using the weapon a bit of a pain considering there can only be one gate at a time.

Thirdly, I'm honestly surprised there's no Gnome summoning item. The Gnomes found in Hallow are essentially the perfect size for summons, much like the Vanilla Pygmies and Pirates. I feel this is a missed opportunity. One should always have the ability to harness the power of Gnomes. I even have an idea for how it could work. It could summon a Gnome Horde like the enemy, which would "shoot" Gnomes out of it at enemies, that would latch on and deal damage, or if they miss, run back to the main group.

Fourthly, another thing I'm surprised at the lack of, is an upgrade to the Phylactery. While (to my knowledge) the earliest Death-Preventing accessory there is, it's also a vital Summoner item due to its increase in stats. However, its Death-Prevention is... well, terrible. All others have a 2 minute cooldown and restore at least 100 life. The Phylactery, however, restores a measly 20 life, barely enough to survive another single zombie strike in Expert mode, and has a whopping 5 minute cooldown. I think this is perfectly fair. However, the lack of a later upgrade annoys me, especially when there is the perfect opportunity to add one: The Lich, who has a Phylactery of its own. I suggest a Hardmode upgrade to the Phylactery with the following attributes:
Phylactery of 100 Souls
Accessory
'An artifact fit for a true Lich...'
Increases your max number of minions by 1 (No change)
20% increased minion damage (from 10 to 20)
20% increased minion knockback (from 10 to 15)
While worn, taking fatal damage will instead return you to 100 life (from 20 to 100)
This effect will recharge every three minutes (from 5 minutes to 3 minutes)

Crafted with:
1 Phylactery, 10 Cursed Cloth, 25 Souls of Night, 25 Souls of Light, 20 Souls of Flight, 10 Souls of Sight, 10 Souls of Might, 10 Souls of Fright, Summoner Emblem

It would still be weaker than other such items, having a whole minute extra cooldown, but with a reasonable amount of health returned, and slight buffs to the pre-hardmode Phylactery. In addition to the cost to craft it, and when it is gainable (post-Lich) I think it would be more than reasonable. In fact I think my crafting recipe may be too harsh, but i wanted to have a semi-even split of 100 souls to fit thematically.

EDIT 12PM: I forgot to mention this last night, however I think it should also add at least 3-5 Defense, maybe at the cost of 5% Minion Damage, or perhaps give a 5 Defense boost while Lich's Withdraw (cooldown) is active.
This is because Summoners, contrary to what Re-Logic seems to think, have horrible survivability. Despite having less defense on average than Ranger and Mage classes, they often need to be MUCH closer to bosses to deal damage effectively, as many minions can't even target the edges of the screen, much less off-screen, even at 1280x720 resolution.
Due to their haphazard targeting and pathfinding, battles are often drawn out significantly longer (which is also why I suggested such a large damage boost; I find that from Coznix to the Mech Bosses, where I am currently in my playthrough, the damage output is somewhat lacking even with my highest DPS non-piercing ranged minions and manipulating bosses into their slow attacks. Granted, I don't have a Summoner Emblem, but I feel a 5-10% boost is not that bad).

EDIT 11PM: After progressing to Post-Golem, I find that wow, the Black Cane is incredibly good. An amazing step up from previous weapons. Fast, strong, that's nice. I also notice that there are a LOT of damage-boosting accessories for Summoner. Necromantic Scroll, Hercules Beetle, Papyrus Scarab, Yuma's Pendant, Minotaur Skull, Summoner Emblem, Phylactery. And yet, despite this, I realize that due to Summoning weapons having low base damage, the increase is... Really not that astounding, unless you have every single one of these equipped.
As such, I stand by the damage increase despite many other items having similar damage increases, since Summoning Damage doesn't get as big a benefit from damage increases. I also notice late-game survivability is even worse than I thought. After upgrading from Life Bloom Armor to Tiki Armor... I promptly reverted since the Life Bloom effect is far more useful than a measly few defense, a negligable damage boost, and one minion slot. Upon upgrading again to Spooky Armor, I found a nice damage increase, at the cost of a MASSIVE 10+ defense and the Life Bloom special effect... So I suck with the Life Bloom again.
My point is, I guess, that Summoner feels lacking in upgrades. New accessories and new armors don't feel that "new" and in most cases feel like more of a sidegrade, aside from a few tier bumps. It's quite unfortunate how the class is designed, although most of that blame goes to the atrocious Vanilla Summoner "tiers". They're weak as heck until Plantera, where suddenly they become unstoppable powerhouses, and that's only exaberated by Thorium (although in a good way, progression feels more natural and smoothed with Thorium.)

In addition, it would be an immensely useful Quality of Life change to allow Death-Prevention cooldowns to be reset by the Nurse, or perhaps by some other craftable item that requires holding it down for 10 seconds while standing perfectly still or something, to prevent people spamming the Nurse to be immortal. Just so after a big battle where you used it, you don't have to sit around and wait for it to recover if you want your Death-Prevention back.

...Apologies for the massive wall of text. It's 3:20 AM and I tend to ramble when tired. Edit: Apologies for the multiple wall-of-text edits too. I can get rather passionate about stuff I enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi, apologies if this is not the place to post this, but I couldn't find a more relevant thread. I finally defeated the Ragnarok on expert, and I didn't get a Grand Champion Buff / Crown after the fight. I tried again, this time in normal singleplayer, and didnt get it either. Are there any known bugs/solutions related to this? Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom