The Throwback Playthrough

SPQR

Skeletron Prime
Remember 1.1? I do. I've been feeling nostalgic lately, so I found a copy of Terraria from that time period and I'm going to do a playthrough of it.
The goal: to get to endgame (full Hallowed Armor, Pickaxe Axe, Hallowed weapons, etc.) of course!
Screenshot (1433).png
And here we are! The start of a brand new world, in an old version. Already I've encountered a feature I miss: Smart Cursor. While chopping trees I stupidly tried pressing control for about 20 seconds before realizing it wasn't added yet, man, how lazy have we gotten with all of these quality of life updates?
The main thing I want early game is iron, the anvil and better weapons are a must. And would you look at that: I've found some (but not after a bit of surface chest looting!)
Screenshot (1434).png
While exploring the world I noticed an oddity an any case: surface Demonite ore! In all my years of Terraria I've never seen anything like this, world gen must have been just a bit tipsy.
Screenshot (1435).png
After doing some more surface exploring I decided to start raiding the underground a bit. The bad news: tons of sand walls blocking my way, that would take FOREVER to get rid of.
Screenshot (1437).png
The good news: BOMBS!
Screenshot (1438).png
Unfortunately, there were... er... complications.
Screenshot (1439).png
Now that we've gotten all of that sand out of the way, it's finally time to...
Screenshot (1440).png
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
And that is where part numero uno will end. Will Terraria ever not get me with explosive traps? Will I build non-commieblocks for NPC houses? WIll I ever get good at vidya?!?!??!?! FInd out in part 2!
Screenshot (1441).png
Back to it! After respawning from that rage inducing explosive trap (still a bit salty about that one btw :mad:) I decided it was high time to build a house! Especially because it's night and i don't want to fight zombies in complete darkness.
Screenshot (1442).png
First, I put up temporary walls to stop the damn horde from attacking me. :zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie: :eek:
Screenshot (1445).png
And after a night of building, I had something that looked like this: a boring box! :sigh: I needed to spice things up. I remembered something I saw on the Terrareddit (yes, that's what I call it) and set to work with the goal of not being as bad at housing as I usually am.
Screenshot (1447).png
However, nature had other plans. You can't really see it in this screenshot, but a demon eye knocked me off of the house and there was nothing I could do. After recovering from eating dirt after a fall of about 50 feet, I continued to polish the house.
Screenshot (1454).png
Here you can see my extreme incompetence at vidya: instead of doing the logical thing and building scaffolding, I decided it would be a good idea to just fall off the edge and place blocks, one at a time. Looking back at it, I have no idea how I didn't think of scaffolding. FUN FACT: I almost died about 7 times during the course of this process. Sorry for making you lose your faith in humanity.
Screenshot (1467).png
Screenshot (1468).png
The guide did the thing guys! The son of a :red: actually did it! The "thing" in question is the guide opening the doors and letting in a ton of zombies, the reason why so many players hated him. Man, THIS is giving me more nostalgia than anything else. Curse you bad NPC AI!
Screenshot (1471).png
The merchant moved in, I can use his smileys now! :merchantwink: The demolitionist moved in too, but I forgot to screenshot him. He doesn't have any emotes anyways. :p:merchanttongue:
Screenshot (1485).png
PSA: The signs (and this repurposed gravestone) are used for marking areas I want to dedicate to something (NPC housing, crafting stations, etc.)
Screenshot (1486).png
Now, because this part was a bit boring (this is a breather episode of sorts) I thought it would be funny if I blew up some bunnies with some grenades I bough off of Oten, everyone's favorite local demoman! However, I forgot that grenades don't have timers like bombs and dynamite. And thus another explosive mishap has happened. I'll let that cap off partie deux. Will I learn to use explosives in a non-self harm instance? Will the bunnies stage an uprising against me? WILL I EVER GET GOOD AT VIDYA?!?!?!?!?! Find out in part 3!
Screenshot (1465).png
Screenshot (1477).png
Screenshot (1473).png

Last edited:
Nice start, I'll keep watching this and see where it goes. 1.1.2 was also the first version I've played, so it'll feel nice to see how the experience would be as it is now.

Layout of the playthrough is decent, enough story and pictures to keep it interesting. keep it up!

About part 2, left side of the house. Was auto-stepping up one block already a thing in 1.1? Did it require platforms, or it's purely for aesthetic?
Also, placing all these walls without smart cursor... I understand that we have it better now, but why do I keep wanting to go back to the old times?
Keeps the nostalgia train going please.

About part 2, left side of the house. Was auto-stepping up one block already a thing in 1.1? Did it require platforms, or it's purely for aesthetic?
Also, placing all these walls without smart cursor... I understand that we have it better now, but why do I keep wanting to go back to the old times?
Keeps the nostalgia train going please.
The platforms are there for aesthetics. 1 block step isn't a thing yet, an annoyance that I will go into detail with in episode 4 (probably). And yeah, placing all those walls was a pain.

Back
Top Bottom