NPCs & Enemies The Travelling Freaking Merchant

Snoobicus

Terrarian
Although I've been loving Journey's End for quite some time now, there is one issue that makes my blood boil. Every QOL change in this update has been for the better but the travelling merchant has been driving me insane.

The new pool of items he sells makes it even worse than before to get the essential accessories. I got really lucky with getting the cell phone parts however currently in my mid-hardmode play-through I'm still one accessory away from being able to make the builder pack. Which as an avid builder such as myself makes it all the more troublesome.

However what made me burst into an uncontrollable rage is the fact that he would never sell me one item--an item listed as "common" rarity on the wiki soon became my worst enemy:

Dynasty wood.

After about 10-20 visits I'm ashamed to admit that I had to use builder's workshop to actually get my hands on some. To this day the merchant has only offered me dynasty wood ONCE in my 52 hour playthrough. If a developer/moderator/anyone happens to descend from the heavens and read this forum post, then PLEASE help bring this post to light to fix this agonizing mechanic to remove or at least reduce the randomized aspect to this NPC. I love this game to bits and I probably have no right to criticize upon the 10$ miracle that it is but I hope for the devs to fix this to reduce the pain for any new Terrarians playing the game.

I found myself frustrated by how often the Traveling Merchant had Dynasty wood and how rarely he had items I wanted.

That's why it's called a Random Number Generator. Rather than become angry at maths I do something else until the RNG comes up with what I want. Sooner or later it always does.

I found myself frustrated by how often the Traveling Merchant had Dynasty wood and how rarely he had items I wanted.

That's why it's called a Random Number Generator. Rather than become angry at maths I do something else until the RNG comes up with what I want. Sooner or later it always does.
I know, I know. What I should've highlighted further in my rant was how his item pool has grown even larger with the new update that it makes it even more agonizing to finally get what you're looking for. It's incredibly frustrating and counter intuitive how by the time someone has finally gotten all the accessories to complete a set the player is already nearing the end of the game and the item's use is mostly exhausted. The fact that it encourages cheating is no good either--it's not the only time I've had to mod in a travelling merchant exclusive item.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not as if you were "cheating" in a super-powerful weapon, armor, wings, or the like.

Building materials? Hard to think of that as a cheat. Consider yourself to be just as righteous as you need to be, and past that it's a matter of convenience.

Back
Top Bottom