Sprites The Underground Sea

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
The Underground Sea

Divider.png

A suggestion by SnailsAttack

With inspiration from @Hea541

Please play the concept music for your duration of reading the thread.

Imagine an entire sea beneath the darkest depths of the ocean floor. A place with grimy stone walls and cold, murky waters. A place with strange and ancient creatures that haven't seen the light of day in thousands of years.

Who knows what could be lurking just below the surface...

Underground Sea Diagram.png

Divider.png

Environment

The underground sea is a biome that can be found underneath one of the world's oceans. The biome is approximately 450 blocks across, 250 blocks tall, and filled 3/5 of the way with water. (It is also farther underground than depicted in the image. Probably about 150 blocks farther down.) Water droplet blocks generate on every block of this biome's ceiling, causing lots of water to appear to drip down

Water in this biome is a murky blackish blue, and only 2/3 of the normal light level can penetrate it. The background is similar to that of the underworld. It'll appear as a large, open cavern, with many dripping stalactites and waterfalls pouring from the ceiling.

Ocean water is kept out by a background wall that generates behind every abyssal stone block. It can only be broken by a luminite hamaxe (or The Axe).

Abyssal_Stone.png
Abyssal_Stone(placed).png

The biome's stone, abyssal stone, can be mined only with a hellstone pickaxe or better, although the biome itself is pre-hardmode. It forms the walls of the cavern and drips down from the ceiling in large stalactites. It can also be crafted into bricks.

The biome itself is tiered for late prehardmode, or even early hardmode.

Seaweed.png

Seaweed can be found growing from the sand at the floor of the biome. Lime kelp can be found growing among it. It grows upward from the floor in large patches, and acts almost like cobwebs, slowing the player down though not breaking. It has the particular skill of reducing the player's upward swim speed, keeping them quickly ascending to the surface if they are low on oxygen.

Coralstone_Block.png

Coralstone blocks grow naturally in spiky clusters of 15-20 on the floor and the portions of the cave walls that are underwater.

Divider.png

Enemies

Fangtooth_Fish.png

Fangtooth Fish
40/65 Health
10 Defense
35/56 Attack
Inflicts Bleeding
Drops :
Fang_Necklace.png
3% 1

The fangtooth fish is basically an upgraded piranha, being slightly stronger and faster. It is the most common monster in the underground sea.

Nautilus.png

Nautilus
150/260 Health
23 Defense
15/24 Attack

The nautilus is a fairly common enemy in the underground sea that is mostly defensive. It attacks by quickly zipping back and forth horizontally, accelerating quickly to dangerous speeds. It has trouble moving vertically, however. As is true to real nautili, it moves "backwards". (to the right)

Hagfish.png

Hagfish
50/85 Health
12 Defense
35/56 Attack
Inflicts Slimed & Slowed

The Hagfish is an uncommon enemy that acts similarly to a worm and is a similar size, although it moves by "swimming" through the water and cannot dig through blocks. If the player is on the surface of the water it will attempt to leap out of the water and knock them in. It makes lots of loud hissing sounds.

Lantern_Fish.png

Lanternfish
60/110 Health
10 Defense
25/42 Attack
Inflicts Electrified

The lanternfish is an uncommon enemy that moves similarly to the fang tooth fish, if slightly slower. It doesn't do very much damage, but certainly makes up for it by inflicting the electrified debuff. It also glows a light blue.

Murky_Slime.png

Murky Slime
50/90 Health
16 Defense
25/42 Attack
Inflicts Blindness

The murky slime is an uncommon enemy that moves like most slimes, except that it is nearly unaffected by water, so it hops along the bottom of the sea. It has a very low transparency, similar to the black slime, making it very difficult to see.

Axolotl.png

Axolotl

Its the ever-horrifying axolotl! This cute little critter can be found swimming around in the waters of the underground sea, and caught and placed into aquariums. It is very rare.

Golden_Axolotl.png

Golden Axolotl
'It's one in a million!'

Ridiculously rare. Worth one platinum.

Hardmode

Kaernk.png

Kearnk
120/170 Health
22 Defense
55/80 Attack
Inflicts Blindness

The kaernk is a semi-rare enemy that moves similarly to the fang tooth fish, but horrifically faster. It makes loud hissing sounds. Is a reference to Amnesia.

Floater.gif

Floater
120/90 Health
16 Defense
25/42 Attack
70/120 Ranged Attack
Drops :
Floater_Jelly.png
100%,15-25

The floater is a rare jellyfish-like creature that moves like any normal jellyfish, except that it does not spawn in the waters of the underground sea, but in fact the air. Unlike any normal jellyfish, this one can, akin to its namesake, float. You had better watch out for its ranged attack, in which it spends 2 seconds charging up followed by firing a laser beam similar to that of the moon lord's, although this one does not sweep around.

The jellyfish and its attack emit a powerful white light, which occasionally flashes a few different colors similar to the fallen star.

Sea_Anemone.png

Sea Anemone
170/240 Health
16 Defense
58/85 Attack

The sea anemone is a relatively rare enemy that spawns on the floor of the underground sea. When any player comes within 10 blocks of it, it will quickly lash out towards them with its tentacles and tow them in, dealing repeated damage and releasing them only when killed.

Post-Plantera

Giant_Isopod.png

Giant Isopod
500/900 Health
35 Defense
45/82 Attack
Drops :
Murkury_Droplet.png
60% 1-3​

The giant isopod is an uncommon monster that calmly traverses the bottom of the underground sea, but when it sees the player, it will roll up into a ball and fire itself at them at extremely high speeds, rebounding off any blocks it hits with the same velocity it came in with. It can not be damaged in this state, and all projectiles that hit it will be reflected. During the attack it will also deal INSANE knockback, propelling the player far away.

Plesiosaur.png

Plesiosaur
8200/15000 Health
36 Defense
40/75 Attack
Inflicts Bleeding
Drops :
Murkury_Droplet.png
100% 18-25

The plesiosaur is a rare mini boss that attacks the player by swimming at them horizontally. It's goal is to keep players on the surface of the water, because if they fall more than 10 blocks below the waterline they will deal 20% more damage and move much quicker, swimming directly at the player and knocking them about.

Divider.png

Murk_Chest.png

Rusty Chest

Rusty chests generate in the underground ocean biome, commonly near kelp. The biome will usually contain 4-5. They will start out locked and can only be opened with a murky keys, which are a 1/100 drop chance from underground sea enemies.

They can contain things such as water bottles, gold and platinum bars, powerful potions, the 3 items below, and the rejuvenation band, wet suit, and aqua mirror.

Aqua_Blade.png

Aqua Blade
34 Damage
Insane Knockback
8% Crit
Fast Speed

The aqua blade is a weapon that has a 1/3 chance of being found in rusty chests. Enemies that are hit with it are sent flying backwards by a geyser of water.

Poseident.png

Poseident
30 Damage
Average Knockback
5% Crit
Fast Speed

The poseident is a spear that has a 1/3 chance of being found in rusty chests. It works similar to the mushroom spear in that it shoots several damaging particles out in front of it, except that this particle is more similar to the vile thorn in that it is one continuous line. The particle looks like a geyser of water.

Tempest_Staff.png

Aqua Blast
28 Damage
Insane Knockback
7% Crit
Average Speed

The aqua blast is a magic weapon that has a 1/3 chance to be found in rusty chests. Similar to the other 2 weapons, it shoots a geyser of water on use that does insane knockback and sends enemies flying.

Divider.png

Accessories

Fang_Necklace.png

Fangtooth Necklace

The fang necklace is an accessory that, like the shark tooth necklace, increases armor penetration. The only difference is that this one has 10 armor penetration instead of 5. Makes the bee gun potentially useful in early hardmode!

Wet_Suit.png

Wetsuit

The wetsuit is an accessory that gives the player completely uninhibited movement in the water.
Lantern_Pendant.png

Lantern Pendant

The lantern pendant is an accessory that is dropped by the lantern fish. When underwater, you emit a bright cyan glow, double that of the jellyfish necklace.

Rejuvenation_Band.png

Rejuvenation Band

The rejuvenation band is an item that gives you regeneration underwater, healing you by 5 health points per second. It can be found in rusty chests.

Charm_of_Wellbeing.png

Charm of Wellbeing

The charm of wellbeing is a combination of the charm of myths and the rejuvenation band. It gives the player a passive 2 health points per second, and 8 health points per second while in water.

Lanternfish_Diving_Gear.png

Lanternfish Diving Gear

The lanternfish diving gear is a new accessory that can be tinkered with an arctic diving gear and a lantern pendant. It creates a bright cyan glow, allows the player to swim underwater, and gives them 3 minutes of underwater breathing.

Master_Diving_Gear.png

Ultimate Diving Gear

The ultimate diving gear is a new item that allows a full 4 minutes of underwater breathing. It is tinkered with the lanternfish diving gear and wetsuit and gives the same effects as its components.

Divider.png

Miscellaneous

Water_Mirror.png
/
Water_Mirror_TimedOut.png

Aqua Mirror

The aqua mirror is an item that can be found in murk chests. It will teleport the player to any random pool of water that contains more than 50 tiles of water. After this it times out, and cannot be used again for 6 hours.

Murky_Key.png

Rusty Key

Used to unlock murk chests. It has a 1/100 chance drop from all underground sea enemies.

Iron_Crate.png

Rusted Crate

Fished from the underground sea, it can be used like the other biome crates to get all rusty chest items.

Divider.png

Floater_Jelly.png

Floater Jelly

Dropped by the floater! Similar to souls, this item floats in the air.

Vitamin Gummy.png

Vitamin Gummy

Delicious and nutritious! Crafted with 3 floater jelly, it gives 180 health and grants the Featherfall buff for 30 seconds.

Floaty_Glowstick.png

Floaty Glowstick

A glowstick that floats in the air! Crafted with 15 glowsticks and 1 floater jelly

Floaty_Grenade.png

Floaty Grenade

A grenade that floats in the air! Crafted with 12 grenades and 1 floater jelly.

Floaty_Bomb.png

Floaty Bomb

A bomb that floats in the air! Crafted with 3 bombs and 1 floater jelly.

Floaty_Dynamite.png

Floaty Dynamite

Great for a game of hot potato. Crafted with 1 dynamite and 3 floater jelly.

Floaty_Slime_Mount.png

Floaty Slime Mount

Crafted with 45 floater jellies and slimy saddle, this upgraded slime mount will launch players off the ground at high speeds and keep on going! If it is on the ground, it will like a normal slime mount, but faster.

When the players are in the air, they can double tap down to do a powerful slam that will deal devastating damage to any enemy that it hits, as well as any enemies in the general vicinity.

Divider.png

Hotwire_Potion.png

Weighted Potion
Murk_Fish.png
x1,
Blinkroot.png
x1,
Fireblossom.png
x1

The weighted potion will allow the player to fall much faster and achieve higher velocities when falling or running/flying. Also makes it harder to slow down.

Mercury

Quicksilver Droplets are a new material that drops from plesiosaurs, which can be used to craft post-plantera throwing armor and weapons.

Murkury_Droplet.png

Quicksilver Droplet

Drops from plesiosaurs in a stack of 18-25.

Murkury_Cube.png
(and new one by @Sergo)
Improved Mercube.png

Mercury Cube

Crafted from 3 quicksilver droplets at a hardmode anvil, it can be used to craft nearly all mercury-based items.

Murkury_Armor.png

Mercury Armor

Helmet
Murkury_Cube.png
x12

16 Defense
30% Throwing Damage
All thrown weapons glow cyan and leave a cyan trail.

Breastplate
Murkury_Cube.png
x16

24 Defense
35% Throwing Velocity
The heart on your chest radiates a bright cyan that lights up a small area.

Leggings
Murkury_Cube.png
x14

18 Defense
50% Lower Throwing Consumption Chance
You move 40% faster and jump 5 blocks higher.

Set Bonus : Reduced damage from lava, and touching it causes you to glow a bright cyan, leave a huge trail, do 25% more damage and take 30% less damage.

Murkury_Throwing_Knife.png

Mercury Throwing Knive
Murkury_Cube.png
x1 for 100
75 Damage
Weak Knockback
5% Crit
11 Velocity

Murkury_Javelin.png

Mercury Javellin
Murkury_Cube.png
x1 for 100
85 Damage
Strong Knockback
6% Crit
15 Velocity

Divider.png

Fishing Loot

Murk_Fish.png

Murkfish

Fished out of the waters of the underground sea. Used to craft hotwire potions!

These items can all be fished out of the murky waters of the underground sea. Unlike most other places, no volume of water can negate the chance of getting a few trash items.

Speared_Lionfish.png

Speared Lionfish
38 Damage
Average Knockback
5% Crit
Fast Speed

The speared lionfish is, surprisingly, a spear. It inflicts poison on its enemies, but also has a small chance to inflict venom. Did I mention that I'm proud of the sprite? I'm proud of the sprite.

Barnacle_Blaster.png

Barnacle Blaster
27 Damage
Average Knockback
8% Crit
Average Speed
5 Velocity

The barnacle blaster is an autofire shotgun. Nothing special about it, although it's a very useful weapon for prehardmode rangers.

Octohook.png

Octohook

The octohook is a grappling hook with 8 grapples. It can reach 26 tiles.

Quest Fish

Blue_Anemonefish.png

Blue Anemonefish

Word is theres a fish in that big place underneath the ocean that glows a bright blue! I've been wanting a new lamp, so go fetch it for me!
I've also heard that it's electric... but who cares?

Floaty_Fish.png

Floaty Fish
[Hardmode]

I've heard tales of a jelly-like fish that lives in the waters of the underground sea.
But unlike most fish, I've heard that this one can float! Go get it for me so I can see how far I can throw it!

Epilogue

Thank you for reading my TCF suggestion! I hope that you have enjoyed reading this thread and that you like the sprites I made! There are over 50 of them.​

Last edited:
Nice man! this should really be added into the game it will make the ocean way cooler instead of being a good place to build a house and a fishing place. There should be stuff in that will definitely expand the fishing class in Terraria like fish scale armor if this gets added i am going to definitely load up a new world and character and dedicate him to fishing!

Seems like a cool biome. I like the idea of an underground ocean, and this is probably one of the better ideas for one I've seen, where it's not basically "underground desert filled with water and some sea creatures for enemies", it's kinda like the Hallow where the underground counterpart has a totally different feel and atmosphere to the above ground version, and that's what I like.

Also, Lime Kelp could be made easier to find here. Everyone knows how tricky Lime Kelp is to find.

A good idea! I always wanted there to be an Underground Ocean type biome. But there are a few flaws. Firstly, the music. Way to many people play Binding of Isaac and will be to familiar with this track. Secondly, the size of the biome. If I was in charge of the sizing, I would make it similar to the size of the underground desert. Thirdly, sprites. Some of these weapons are either recolors or additional features to current sprites. Overall, its a very good idea, but needs a bit more work in my opinion. Support! :D

A good idea! I always wanted there to be an Underground Ocean type biome. But there are a few flaws. Firstly, the music. Way to many people play Binding of Isaac and will be to familiar with this track. Secondly, the size of the biome. If I was in charge of the sizing, I would make it similar to the size of the underground desert. Thirdly, sprites. Some of these weapons are either recolors or additional features to current sprites. Overall, its a very good idea, but needs a bit more work in my opinion. Support! :D
  1. Obviously the music is gonna be different, as it's "Concept Music".
  2. So it should be bigger or smaller? Its already bigger than the ocean.
  3. Almost all the sprites are completely original or very heavily edited.

This is a great idea! Currently there is nearly nothing in the ocean 'cept for a few chests, this would make it a lot more interesting. +1 Support

1. Obviously the music is gonna be different, as it's "Concept Music".
  2. So it should be bigger or smaller? Its already bigger than the ocean.
  3. Almost all the sprites are completely original or very heavily edited.
I'll probably make a thread in the future about this type of thing as well. What I'm thinking of is a Starbound type thing. Where you can circle the whole world without any map edges or borders. To where both oceans would connect into a massive sea. And in the middle would be something similar to this. :3

Fangtooth Fish
40/65 Health
10/16 Defense
35/56 Attack
Inflicts Bleeding

Well, a possible problem is that the defence never incresed in expert mode currently, so it would be strange that only the underground ocean mobs have incresed defence.

Ocean water is kept out by a background wall that generates behind abyssal stone. It can only be broken by a luminite hamaxe.

The Axe has the same hammer power.

Well, a possible problem is that the defence never incresed in expert mode currently, so it would be strange that only the underground ocean mobs have incresed defence.

The Axe has the same hammer power.
Thanks for the feedback!

I didn't know that expert monsters don't have increased defense or that the axe has the same hammer power as the luminite ones.

Added a load of new items, cleaned up the thread, rewrote some stuff, etc. Hope you all enjoy the new stuff!

Coming up next will be a couple new floater jelly weapons!

I support. This would be really cool to explore, and have fun in.
I only have two things that I think are wrong with it.
First of all, how would you be able to explore but also have air?
Secondly, I know I'm being a bit of a :red:, but Plesiosaurs couldn't move their necks into such a position portrayed by the sprite. They could only hold them forwards.

I support. This would be really cool to explore, and have fun in.
I only have two things that I think are wrong with it.
First of all, how would you be able to explore but also have air?
Secondly, I know I'm being a bit of a :red:, but Plesiosaurs couldn't move their necks into such a position portrayed by the sprite. They could only hold them forwards.
The underground sea, as shown in the diagram and stated, is filled only 3/5 with water.

Also I know the plesiosaur can't hold its neck like that but it makes it seem more lochness-monster like.

I have some ideas for some fishing loot:
Blue Anemonefish: It's a blue different-textured-clownfish that makes Fried Fishfillet that gives the Fried Goodness buff that is basically Well Fed + Flipper Buffs in one.
Speared Lionfish: It's a melee weapon that inflicts the Poisoned debuff when hit (stats is your choice).
Octoleg: It's a hook that can reach 23 blocks and can shoot 8 hooks (basically an upgraded Web Slinger).
Blue-Ringed Octopus: A Material to make a upgraded Speared Lionfish (I think I'll call it the 'Oceanus Predator') that inflicts the Venom and Slow debuffs.

I'll add more once I've got more ideas lol

EDIT: I don't think I used the BB Code properly...
EDIT: Apparently I did not use it properly.

Last edited:
I have some ideas for some fishing loot:
Blue Anemonefish: It's a blue different-textured-clownfish that makes Fried Fishfillet that gives the Fried Goodness buff that is basically Well Fed + Flipper Buffs in one.
Speared Lionfish: It's a melee weapon that inflicts the Poisoned debuff when hit (stats is your choice).
Octoleg: It's a hook that can reach 23 blocks and can shoot 8 hooks (basically an upgraded Web Slinger).
Blue-Ringed Octopus: A Material to make a upgraded Speared Lionfish (I think I'll call it the 'Oceanus Predator') that inflicts the Venom and Slow debuffs.

I'll add more once I've got more ideas lol

EDIT: I don't think I used the BB Code properly...
EDIT: Apparently I did not use it properly.
Ok! I'll try to add some of those.

Also.. are those custom font colors?
I am an idiot for not realizing that you can use color codes for font.

Back
Top Bottom