Weapons & Equip The whips go against the principles of the summoner

With whips constantly switching which enemy to target, it's actually not helpful at all during events and it just breaks your minions
And the staves themselves also have the same function, so, effectively, whips only add damage to what right-clicking with the staff does.

you can use fire gauntlets with them it makes it autoswing and burns them
Fire Gauntlet is an objective downgrade from the Mechanical Glove, trading out 2% Melee Damage and 2% Melee Speed for a debuff that does very little damage over the span of a few seconds. I'm pretty sure the Melee Speed, even though it only affects whips excluding the Melee Damage, will be far more worth it than the debuff.

Simply don't use whips then?

And before you start screaming, "BUT I NEED TO TARGET ENEMY!", at me, do it with your staff. Was possible before 1.4 and is possible now.

Summoner is not about using only whips and summon staffs. That is made-up BS. Use whatever you want, use stronger weapons. It is that easy. Period.

Fire Gauntlet is an objective downgrade from the Mechanical Glove, trading out 2% Melee Damage and 2% Melee Speed for a debuff that does very little damage over the span of a few seconds. I'm pretty sure the Melee Speed, even though it only affects whips excluding the Melee Damage, will be far more worth it than the debuff.
then use whatever glove ya want just wanted to point out how to power ya whip up a bit better

Simply don't use whips then?

And before you start screaming, "BUT I NEED TO TARGET ENEMY!", at me, do it with your staff. Was possible before 1.4 and is possible now.

Summoner is not about using only whips and summon staffs. That is made-up BS. Use whatever you want, use stronger weapons. It is that easy. Period.
The problem is that whips are so bad you're better off not using them even though they're the only Summoner weapons apart from minions and the other 3 classes do not have to borrow from each other to be useful at all.

Last edited:
The problem is that whips are so bad you're better off not using them even though they're the only Summoner weapons apart from minions and the other 3 classes do not have to borrow from each other to be useful at all.
Your opinion personally i like the whips even if it doesnt work exactly like intended its still fun to melt enemies as a summoner.

The problem is that whips are so bad you're better off not using them even throguh they're the only Summoner weapons apart from minions and the other 3 classes do not have to borrow from each other to be useful at all.
What is the argument here? Terraria still has no classes like other RPGs do. You can, at any point in the game, use any weapon you like and noone forces you to use something specific.
You are no less of a summoner if you sport a Shotgun or a Yoyo. You are no more of a summoner if you limit yourself, stupidly, to whips.

What is the argument here? Terraria still has no classes like other RPGs do. You can, at any point in the game, use any weapon you like and noone forces you to use something specific.
You are no less of a summoner if you sport a Shotgun or a Yoyo. You are no more of a summoner if you limit yourself, stupidly, to whips.
It doesn't have "hard classes" that make you unable to use weapons that aren't of your class, but it does have "soft" ones by making your equipment progressively specialize towards damage types. While, early on, there's not much of a reason to limit yourself to melee just because you're wearing SAhadow or Molten Armor because both the weapons and the stat bonuses from armor still aren't big enough to be a dealbreaker (Which IMO is what makes pre-HM the most fun part of the game), as the game progresses, not only do the stat bonuses become big enough to matter (Why use magic weapons if you have ranged armor and can deal 25% more DPS?, for starters), to the point that you can literally be wearing endgame armor and still deal less damage with weapons of the wrong "class" than you would be if you were wearing it's pre-HM armor; and the game goes as far as to make it clear that it's the "intended" way to play by only offering a single classless armor in HM, and only 2 hybrid armors.
Adding to this, whips themselves are so useless that summoners are pretty much forced to use weapons that are not boosted by their own armor or accessories, which nobody else does; in no small part dbecause summoners are designed rather badly: Minions are essentially expected to do all the work, with whips only being these to provide a rather minimal support role. Now, add to this that the main reason to use whips is the tag damage, and that they're designed in a way that doesn't even let you tag without restrictions, and it's pretty easy to see the issue.

It doesn't have "hard classes" that make you unable to use weapons that aren't of your class, but it does have "soft" ones by making your equipment progressively specialize towards damage types. While, early on, there's not much of a reason to limit yourself to melee just because you're wearing SAhadow or Molten Armor because both the weapons and the stat bonuses from armor still aren't big enough to be a dealbreaker (Which IMO is what makes pre-HM the most fun part of the game), as the game progresses, not only do the stat bonuses become big enough to matter (Why use magic weapons if you have ranged armor and can deal 25% more DPS?, for starters), to the point that you can literally be wearing endgame armor and still deal less damage with weapons of the wrong "class" than you would be if you were wearing it's pre-HM armor; and the game goes as far as to make it clear that it's the "intended" way to play by only offering a single classless armor in HM, and only 2 hybrid armors.
Adding to this, whips themselves are so useless that summoners are pretty much forced to use weapons that are not boosted by their own armor or accessories, which nobody else does; in no small part dbecause summoners are designed rather badly: Minions are essentially expected to do all the work, with whips only being these to provide a rather minimal support role. Now, add to this that the main reason to use whips is the tag damage, and that they're designed in a way that doesn't even let you tag without restrictions, and it's pretty easy to see the issue.
If I am not completely wrong, a build that isn't just tryharding for maximum damage would have around double the base damage of a weapon with armor and accessory bonuses.
If I am wrong, someone can correct me.
If you play a pure summoner, and focus only on the 5 summoner trinkets and wings+Insignia, your weapons are still somewhat over base damage. So strong weapons are still strong + you have your 11 summons on top of it.
Whips are just a gimmick. Your main source of damage are summons. As you've stated it. You are free to back them up with any weapon or focus entirely on dodging.
But no. People use a gimmick, die because they use a bad weapon and then complain that the weapon is bad.
I played a bit of summoner in 1.3. Never touched expert mode. 1.4 came in and I did a master playthrough with mainly a summoner. Never ever touched a single whip in my life.
See the summoner as one of the strongest "classes" if you don't count the broken-:red: stuff like Last Prism, Stealth S.D.M.G. and Zenith.

If I am not completely wrong, a build that isn't just tryharding for maximum damage would have around double the base damage of a weapon with armor and accessory bonuses.
If I am wrong, someone can correct me.
If you play a pure summoner, and focus only on the 5 summoner trinkets and wings+Insignia, your weapons are still somewhat over base damage. So strong weapons are still strong + you have your 11 summons on top of it.
Whips are just a gimmick. Your main source of damage are summons. As you've stated it. You are free to back them up with any weapon or focus entirely on dodging.
But no. People use a gimmick, die because they use a bad weapon and then complain that the weapon is bad.
I played a bit of summoner in 1.3. Never touched expert mode. 1.4 came in and I did a master playthrough with mainly a summoner. Never ever touched a single whip in my life.
See the summoner as one of the strongest "classes" if you don't count the broken-:red: stuff like Last Prism, Stealth S.D.M.G. and Zenith.
Zenith is made to shred things

Back
Top Bottom