Sprites The Workshop- A New Mini Biome!

Is This a Good Idea?

• Yes! Very well done.

Votes: 36 92.3%
  • No, I don't think it's great.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It needs something more (Tell me what it needs!)

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

Yuyutsu

Dungeon Spirit
Hey all! It's PhoenixBlade, returning with a suggestion that I've been working on for quite a while!
Banner.png

Before we get Started:
-As usual, if anyone has made a similar, more thorough suggestion than this one, I will gladly take this down and feature theirs.
-Ideas, thoughts, criticism, and comments are always appreciated!

Now, let's have a little Backstory to get this Biome started...
It had been a long night. I'd sustained quite a few injuries, but it was finally over. The Destroyer had perished. As my Adrenaline faded, questions set into my mind... Where did it come from? I had just felt some really jarring vibrations, and, sensing something was wrong, I prepared for battle. If it wasn't for the Daedalus Stormbow I'd picked up on one of my excavations, I don't think I would have made it. The Townsfolk gave it their best shot, but most of them were gone now. They'd return when the coast was clear.
As dawn broke, I still couldn't shake off the feeling that something was off. The was no way the Destroyer could have spawned from nowhere. How? Why?
'I think I may have the answers ya want, kiddo,' a nearby voice said. I turned to see the face of someone I'd never met before. She was a woman, maybe 20-ish, with a really weird dress sense. She wore a green buckled hat and a green duster over her brown T-Shirt (which, for some reason, said 1900's World Fair. Go figure). Upon scrutinizing her further, I realized everything wasn't alright. She had a few burn marks on her hand, and cuts and bruises on her face. I smelled gunpowder, and gleaned that she had recently fired the Clockwork Assault Rifle strapped to her back. 'I'm Sophie, nice to meetcha!'
'Pleasure,' I replied. 'I assume you're looking for someplace to stay?'
'Yes,' she replied, sighing deeply. I also do have quite a lot to say. I pointed towards a Mahogany Table and chair I had outside, and we sat down. I quickly brought out a couple of glasses and poured her some Regen Potion. She looked like she needed it.
'Thanks,' she said, taking a long sip. Her cuts were fading already. 'Now, I don't expect for you to take me in and give me shelter without knowing who I am first. I'm the last of the Steampunkers, an organization dedicated to inventing, be it for no reason whatsoever or to aid humanity. We were quite a rowdy bunch...' she said sadly.
'Were?' I asked? 'What happened?'
'Let me explain. We've been working underground for a while. A couple months ago, my friend, Ada, tunneled into something strange. They were some rusty cogs, and we soon discovered an entire workshop of gears and pistons! Without hesitating, we researched further. We built our own, small lab at the building's entrance. After examining and categorizing the area's contents, we deemed it abandoned. We decided to add on to and experiment with the inventions we found there. For example..' she pulled out a gold cog from her pocket. 'We made this cog after finding a bunch of old ones in the area. They're useful for pretty much anything! From toasters to swimming pools, it's whatever you'd like!'
'I think you're getting carried away,' I said. 'What does this have to do with the Destroyer?'
The smile faded from her face as her ad pitch stopped there. 'Everything.'
'All of it came from the workshop.'
'How so?' I inquired, a mixture of curiosity and fear building inside of me.
'One night, we heard a terrible roar echo from the Depths below, and felt a torrent of some.. thing, like energy, gush from the ground. Some of it was pitch black, and some was dazzlingly white.' I realized what she was talking about. It was the Wall of Flesh. I knew that killing it was a mistake, because the world had become increasingly hostile since. 'Anyway,' she continued, 'Ada heard some noises from the Workshop the next morning. We dismissed it as one of the gears coming loose, but she was adamant. She went exploring down, and... We never saw her again.' Sophie was on the verge of tears now.
'Hey, it's okay...' I said. 'But I need you to tell me more, okay? It's really important.'
She choked back a sob. 'It's horrible. The machines, they came back to life. Mechanical worms jutted from the ground, and these ghastly turrets pounded us with lasers when we tried searching for her. The place was becoming increasingly malevolent. Until a couple days ago, Jim and I, the last survivors, were holding up wards to make sure the monsters didn't escape. When Jim perished, I alone wasn't enough. Last night, one of the worms escaped, encasing and absorbing our new technology as it rose to feed on the area with the most concentrated life force, which was your village. I'm glad you destroyed it, but, I'm warning you, there's more coming. So, much, more...'
'Where is it?' I asked grimly.
She didn't want to speak anymore, so she wrote the coordinates down on my map. As she went inside, I looked to the sun, worried. What was going on there? How powerful were these monsters?
'Well,' I said to no one in particular, 'There's only one way to find out.'
What is it?
The Workshop is a mini-biome. Though it spawns on world generation, the lower flowers are not accessible until you have a pickaxe of Orichalcum Caliber or more. It spawns in the cavern layer of your world. The Workshop is comprised of 15-20 Rooms joined together in a haphazard fashion, with the ones closer to the top looking inhabited. The topmost rooms are comprised of Steampunk Furniture, a few empty chests, and nothing much of interest. As you progress further down, that's where things get interesting... Mechanical Monsters, traps, pressure plates! Watch out, things'll get scary.

Blocks
One Cog.png
Rusty Cog.png
Rusty Cog- The main block found in the lower floors of The Workshop. It also crafts into Dwarven Ingots. Even though they're old, they're hard to mine. You need a Orichalcum Pickaxe or higher to mine them.
Ancient Slab.png
Rusty Slab Wall- The main wall found in the lower floors of the Workshop. Enemies spawn via the walls, similarly to the Dungeon.
Ancient Cog Table.png
Ancient Cog Chair.png
Ancient Cog Lamp.png
Scrap Metal.png
Ancient Cog Furniture- Found randomly in the Workshop. From left to right:
-Ancient Cog Table
-Ancient Cog Chair
-Ancient Cog Lamp- Gives off very little light
-Scrap Metal- Found in Dwarven Pots. Can be hung
Steampunk Workstation.png
Steampunk Workstation- Crafted with Dwarven Ingots at a Workbench. A combination of an anvil and a workbench! It's also where you craft certain Dwarven weapons.
Cog Flame Trap.png
Cog Trap.png
Cog Traps- Watch out! They can be actuated and very deadly. They can't, however, be mined and replaced.
Cogflagration Trap- Shoots out a spurt of flame in a circle.
Cogcleave Trap- Shoots out a piercing cog in four directions!
Cog Pot.png
Cog Pot- Contains normal Pot loot, as well as Scrap Metal, random gems, and Gear Flasks!
Placed Core.png
Cog Dynamo Core.png
Cog Dynamo Core- Grows on Rusty Cogs or drops from certain enemies! Involved in the crafting of many items. Glows faintly.
Cog Blossom.png
Cog Vale- Very Rare, found growing on Rusty Cogs.
Ax Trap.png
Req8.gif

(Animation courtesy of @Willsm)
Ah! Watch out! It's the Gearaxe Trap! A trap similar to the Spike Ball trap from the Dungeon, it swings in a 180 degree half-circle and inflicts the Dazed! debuff for two seconds. It can't be destroyed.
Enemies
Cog Slime.png

Cog Slime-
Slime AI
200 HP
70 Damage
28 Defense
Common. Inflicts the Dazed Debuff for 2 seconds. Ouch!
Drops:
One Cog.png
1-4 Rusty Cogs (100%)
Cog.png
1-4 Cogs (50%)

Imported piskel (12).gif

Dwarven Sphere-
180 HP
36 Damage
30 Defense
Common. Shoots lasers at you that inflict the Dazed Debuff for 2 seconds.

Cog Elemental.png

Gear Elemental-
Granite Elemental AI
220 HP
67 Damage
32 Defense
Uncommon.
Drops:
One Cog.png
1-4 Rusty Cogs (100%)
Cog Shield.png
Dwarven Shield (5%)
Cog Dynamo Core.png
Cog Dynamo Core (50%)

Cog Bat.png

Cog Bat
Bat AI
130 HP
78 Damage
26 Defense
Common
Drops:
One Cog.png
1-4 Rusty Cogs (100%)
Cog.png
1-4 Cogs (100%)
Throwing Cog.png
15-20 Throwing Cogs (33%)
Cog Dynamo Core.png
1-2 Cog Dynamo Cores (50%)

Imported piskel (13).gif

Twilight Cog
140 HP
79 Damage
14 Defense
Uncommon. Flies through walls toward the player. Inflicts the Cursed! debuff for 2 seconds.
Drops:
Soul_of_Night.gif
1-2 Souls of Night (100%)
Cog.png
3-4 Cogs (50%)
Cog Dynamo Core.png
1 Cog Dynamo Core (50%)

Imported piskel (14).gif

Daybright Cog
200 HP
71 Damage
24 Defense
Uncommon. Flies through walls toward the player. Inflicts the Silenced! debuff for 2 seconds.
Drops:
Soul_of_Light.gif
1-2 Souls of Light (100%)
Cog.png
3-4 Cogs
Cog Dynamo Core.png
1 Cog Dynamo Core (50%)

Cursed Cog.png

Cursed Crawler
200 HP
74 Damage
30 Defense
Uncommon. Crawls towards the player and releases a spurt of Cursed Flames in a straight line upwards.

Drops:
Cog.png
1-4 Cogs (100%)
Cursed.png
Steelrot Mandible (5%)

Laser Cog.png

Cog Laser
220 HP
66 Damage
32 Defense
Uncommon. Sticks to a wall and fires lasers at the player.
Drops:
One Cog.png
1-4 Rusty Cogs (100%)
Summon.png
Ray Spire Staff (5%)

Wyrm.png

Gear Wyrm
800 HP
80 Damage
36 Defense
Worm AI
Rare, fires lasers at the player.
Drops:
One Cog.png
1-4 Rusty Cogs (100%)
Cog Dynamo Core.png
2-3 Cog Dynamo Core (100%)

hand (2).png
Projectile.png

Vicelazer
700 HP
34 Defense
82 Damage
Plant/Clinger AI
Drops:
One Cog.png
1-4 Rusty Cogs (100%)
Cog.png
1-4 Cogs (100%)
Prime Arm.png
Ray Piercer (5%)

Cog Dynamo Core.png
2-3 Cog Dynamo Core (100%)

Weapons
Cursed.png

Steelrot Mandible
55 Ranged Damage
Slow Speed

No Knockback
6% Crit Chance
Shoots a spurt of Cursed Flames, inflicts the Cursed Inferno debuff for 2 seconds.
Summon.png

Ray Spire Staff
40 Summon Damage
2 Knockback
Fast Speed
Summons a Stationary Spire that shoots lasers at enemies. May inflict the Dazed debuff on enemies.
Prime Arm.png
Projectile.png

Ray Piercer
49 Magic Damage
3 Knockback
Average Speed
6% Crit Chance
Shoots lasers, may inflict the Dazed debuff on enemies.
Throwing Cog.png

Throwing Cog
60 Throwing Damage
0 Knockback
6% Crit Chance
Fast Speed
May inflict the Dazed Debuff one Enemies. 25 Crafted with 5 Rusty/Regular Cogs at a Steampunk Workstation
Cog Pix.png
Cog Axe.png
Cog Hammer.png
Cog Saw.png
Cog Drill.png

Cog Gear!
Cog Pix: Crafted with 14 Cogs, 12 Rusty Cogs, and 1 Cog Dynamo Core @ a Steampunk Workstation. Can mine Titanium!
33 Melee Damage
10 Tool Speed
20 Use Time
195% Pickaxe Power

Cog Ax: Crafted with 12 Cogs, 10 Rusty Cogs, and 1 Cog Dynamo Core @ a Steampunk Workstation
35 Melee Damage
8 Tool Speed
20 Use Time
110% Axe Power

Cog Hammer: Crafted with 12 Cogs, 10 Rusty Cogs, and 1 Cog Dynamo Core @ a Steampunk Workstation
34 Melee Damage
8 Tool Speed
25 Use Time
95% Hammer Power

Cogsaw: Crafted with 12 Cogs, 10 Rusty Cogs, and 1 Cog Dynamo Core @ a Steampunk Workstation
37 Melee Damage
9 Tool Speed
25 Use Time
110% Axe Power
No Knockback

Cog Drill: Crafted with 14 Cogs, 12 Rusty Cogs and 1 Cog Dynamo Core @ a Steampunk Workstation
35 Melee Damage
9 Tool Speed
24 Use Time
195% Pickaxe Power
No Knockback

Accessories:
Cog Shield.png

Cog Guarder:
3 Defense
Double Tap Down to root in place for 10 seconds. Defense decreases, life regen increases, and any enemy coming into contact receives the Dazed debuff for two seconds.
Cog RIng.png

Gear Ring
15% Increased Mining Speed
Crafted with 10 Rusty Cogs and 6 Cogs @ a Steampunk Workstation.

Misc.
Dwemer Ingot.png
Dwarven Ingot- Crafted with 4 Rusty Cogs and 1 Soul of Light at an Adamantite/ Titanium forge!
Cog Flask.png
Cog Flask- Found in Cog Pots or Crafted with 8 Rusty Cogs and 1 Bottled Water @ a Bewitching Table.
Attacks have a 50% chance to inflict the Dazed debuff on enemies for 2 seconds.
Cog Ward.png
Cog Blossom- Found when breaking Cog Vales. Permanently increases defense by 1, and caps out at 6!

Other
Bringing into play other cool suggestions, here are some other cool things that would be implemented if the Workshop was added:
-Blueprints from @J-50N's Cultist suggestion would spawn here

-The Spawn Rate of @J-50N's Mechanical Cultist would be increased here.

If you support the Workshop, put this code in your signature:
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/TKeEnKX.png[/img]

Closing:
Well, that's pretty much it! Thank you for reading my suggestion! What did you think? Since I suck at balancing, of course, please feel free to think of edits for this idea. All sprites were made by me! Have a nice day :D

Last edited:
Seems nice. I've only looked over it roughly for now, I'll have to look more in-depth later. I like most of the sprites, but the worms'. I don't know why. Anyways, good suggestion.

Seems nice. I've only looked over it roughly for now, I'll have to look more in-depth later. I like most of the sprites, but the worms'. I don't know why. Anyways, good suggestion.
Thanks for the feedback! I messed with it a little. I do admit, it isn't my best work :p I'm glad you like the idea however!

Nice. Need download.
[doublepost=1465616314,1465616196][/doublepost]And it needs armor.
And it needs another trap.
The falling sherkin trap. They dont bounce but a lot fall on you.

I like it! It's like a cross between an underground house and the dungeon. However, I find just a few if the sprites lacking, (like the worms) because they look like solid gears and nothing else (that may be the point). Again, great! :)

I like it! It's like a cross between an underground house and the dungeon. However, I find just a few if the sprites lacking, (like the worms) because they look like solid gears and nothing else (that may be the point). Again, great! :)
Thanks! That was intended to be the point, but how do you think they can be changed to look better?

For the worms you can add little gear points out the sides. Looks too smooth on sides right now.
Thanks!
Changed the Wyrm Sprite, I think it looks better now. Also, I added a new Crafting Material! Check it out :)

Also, what do you think of an item, similar to life fruits and mana crystals, that increased your defense by 1 permanently, capping at 5?

Thanks!
Changed the Wyrm Sprite, I think it looks better now. Also, I added a new Crafting Material! Check it out :)

Also, what do you think of an item, similar to life fruits and mana crystals, that increased your defense by 1 permanently, capping at 5?
I think you should do it but have it surround a heart with a war horn helm.
[doublepost=1465698311,1465698197][/doublepost]Vice lazer thing still has flat sides, how do gears make flat sides? Fix please. (I'm complaining to complain so ingore if
I get innoing.)

Is this going to be a legit mod or is this just an idea brewing. And I also think you should add to the backstory more. I was getting so damn in to it. I could even write the next part if you don't wanna take more time on it. But great job on the mod man. Love the sprites!

Is this going to be a legit mod or is this just an idea brewing. And I also think you should add to the backstory more. I was getting so damn in to it. I could even write the next part if you don't wanna take more time on it. But great job on the mod man. Love the sprites!
It's just a suggestion right now, not getting it in to modding or anything:D

Back
Top Bottom