Console The Year Ahead & The Community "Takes Control"

Custom controls on vita PLEASE. The vita needs this because of the lack of buttons and awful touch screen (its SUPER sensitive to water and grease making it almost unusable as a button). If not, at least map the smart/manual button to the square button. But for alternate vita controls this is my idea:

Both bumpers/triggers: Assign to use a block/item/weapon of choice (kind of like the left bumper now but any item instead of hook)
Triangle: inventory
Square: What ever it is now/ assignable
X: Jump
Circle: What ever it is now (I forget)
D-Pad: Assignable
Screen: Items + Custom button(s) (for either map or cursor toggle if only one)
Select: either map or cursor toggle
Start: Pause

When I say an N3DS game, I mean the game would only compatible for the N3DS. Not an 3DS version which is applicable to both. :)

I also agree it's a better decision as a 3DS game, Although I'm still concerned as to the lack of a second joystick on the 3DS.
I understood that :) I felt my response clarified that that would not be the case :p
is the ps4 version of terraria further updated than ps3?
Nope, all console versions have the same content :) Though PS4 has some added functionality (bigger resolutions that can be controlled by zoom).

This is gonna be amazing. Oh well! I'm gonna just play it on PC until it comes out on console! Good Job, 505!

This is awesome news!

As for new controls, I like the controls how they are, but maybe make it to where you quick buff by pressing the left or right analog stick? Then you can make X/square quick heal.

I would love to see Map put on the TouchPad so when you swipe left/right you look around the map. Then move pause to the Options button on PS4.

I second this. Alternatively, being able to customize the button setup on our own would also be great.

PS4:
Options - Pause game/opens the menu
Touchpad (press) - Opens the map
Rest is the current default
Some might also prefer to switch the functions of L1/R1 with L2/R2, but I'm fine with the way it is now.

Vita (should definitely have more control schemes due to the lack of buttons):
Scheme #1:
Square - Change between Manual/Smart cursor
Touch button at the bottom left of the screen - Quick Buff

Scheme #2:
Left D-Pad/Right D-Pad - Scrolls through equipped item in inventory/hotkey
Left touch screen area/Right touch screen area - Quick hotkey for whatever is assigned to left/right

Scheme #3 (mix of #1 and #2 - at least implement #1):
Square - Change between Manual/Smart cursor
Touch button at the bottom left of the screen - Quick Buff
Left D-Pad/Right D-Pad - Scrolls through equipped item in inventory/hotkey
Left touch screen area/Right touch screen area - Quick hotkey for whatever is assigned to left/right

All my proposed schemes so far are just reversing the functions of 2 buttons/touch screen buttons.

Also, thanks for the news/updates. I can't wait to play 1.2.4 on consoles, but I'm hoping the serious issues like the game on vita crashing while saving, crashes while checking your map, and other strange bugs like dirt world are fixed by then.

Last edited:
NEEDED VITA FIXES:
1.) Vita crashes while saving and corrupts data. I loose (minimal) progress daily do to crashes while saving resorting me back to last saves. It also randomly crashes when loading or playing (not in save mode) I have lost MONTHS of data, reset me back to pre-hard mode from post-plantera then one month later (today) I lost my storage/giant castle world. ;(
2.)Control Scheme
3.)Lag and general glitchyness.
Conclusion: Vita version is beyond broken to the point of being unplayable :(,but I would love to see it not broken and playable. Also other consoles do not have this glitch.

NEEDED VITA FIXES:
1.) Vita crashes while saving and corrupts data. I loose (minimal) progress daily do to crashes while saving resorting me back to last saves. It also randomly crashes when loading or playing (not in save mode) I have lost MONTHS of data, reset me back to pre-hard mode from post-plantera then one month later (today) I lost my storage/giant castle world. ;(
2.)Control Scheme
3.)Lag and general glitchyness.
Conclusion: Vita version is beyond broken to the point of being unplayable :(,but I would love to see it not broken and playable. Also other consoles do not have this glitch.

The PS3 has this glitch. My data has never ever corrupted (not once, since the very beginning), but I know I've been lucky. Either way, I back-up my save numerous times a week, or any time I make some worthwhile build progress. It sometimes crashes during save, during save and quit, opening map screen, etc.

I think you should add I sing like the werewolf charm that instead of a werewolf you're a vampire and that you can fly and move superduper fast like in the solar eclipse

Good Day, Terrarians!

Hot on the heels of our official Terraria on Nintendo reveal last week, we wanted to give you an update on our plans for the rest of the console platforms – and then to ask you, the community, for your invaluable input on a change we are looking to make as a part of these updates. So, without further ado, off we go:

kdcROYP.png

CONSOLE TERRARIA CONTENT UPDATE PLANS

Through a variety of issues, we wound up in a situation where the previously-launched “Additions” update did not wind up containing the entirety of Terraria 1.2.3 content. At the same time, we had started work on the next round of content – and, unfortunately, launching post-1.2.3 content into versions of the game that do not already have the full 1.2.3 update would cause all kinds of issues – for us and for you guys!

So, that leaves us at a crossroads of sorts – and here is what we have decided to do:

We will release the content below as one update – currently planned for the 4th Quarter of 2015 (Oct-Dec), though we will provide a more exact date as soon as possible
  • The remainder of the 1.2.3 content
  • Terraria 1.2.4, in its entirety, including (but not limited to):
  • Minecarts
  • Fishing
  • Duke Fishron
  • And much much more!

So, that – coupled with the recent mobile announcements – will mean that all of the existing Terraria console/mobile platforms will be up to the 1.2.4 level by the end of 2015! Nintendo being the exception, as it doesn’t launch until after the new year.

Beyond that, we have started looking into the 1.3 source code, and will share any plans there just as soon as we have them together.

kdcROYP.png

CUSTOM CONTROLS – WE NEED YOU!

As a part of the update later this year, we are looking to add some additional control schemes beyond the default that is currently in the game. These will likely be in the form of various “alternate” control setups that you would select from in the options menu.

That’s where you come in – we have listed the Default (as it exists today) below. We would love to have you – the community – propose your alternatives to us for possible inclusion in the coming update!

To submit your idea,
  • Make a post in this thread with your suggested changes.
  • Please note that we are only altering button configurations and not adding new functionality to the controller itself.
  • Also you MUST note which platform (Xbox/Playstation) you are addressing.

Action | Playstation | Xbox
Use Held Item/Attack|R1|RT
Activate Environment Object|O|B
Inventory| △|Y
Jump| X or L3|A or L3
Quick Buff|□|X
Left-Right-Up-Down Movement|Left Thumbstick|Left Thumbstick
Hotbar Selection|L2+R2|LB+RB
Map|Select|Back
Grapple|L1|LT
Smart Cursor Toggle|R3|Click Right Thumbstick
Use Bound Item|D-Pad|D-Pad
kdcROYP.png

That's it for now! We are very much looking forward to seeing what awesome control scheme ideas you come up with - and to hopefully sharing some spoilers and additional information around the update coming later this year.

Thanks for your support, your feedback, and for everything else you do!

First, Loki - you are doing a fantastic job. Responsive, diplomatic, fair, engaged.

505, thanks for the update. However, you really need to take community management more seriously. I feel your apology and commitment a few months back was heartfelt, however you haven't communicated enough with the (very passionate) supporters of console Terraria. Seems like you have a new community manager "deanzor" that looks promising- I hope he is not just for the wiiu/3ds side of things. Your best customers are your existing ones after all.

Finally my main issue, please @505Games, @Loki, @Deanzor help me on this one. The Vita version of Terraria has been horribly broken for some time now, as many on this forum can attest too. I have reported issues dozens of times with zero feedback and zero fixes for months now. If you could only hear the cries and see the tears of my 6yo daughter after the ice golem finally drops the frost helmet only to have it crash while saving, perhaps you may consider it more of a priority. I'd really like someone with direct ability to initiate change (I'm looking at you 505) to chime in, Alas I'm betting poor old Loki is going to be the only one willing to step up to bat ... and I suspect he is either kept in the dark as much as us (bad move 505) or forced to placate the angry mobs without making any promises... and I'm sure he loves doing that ;-)

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. :)

I have to say that they certainly do see the CM issue - and a solution is in the works. It just isn't quite there yet - similar to the CS/QA fixes. I am aware of where each of these sit...so just hang tight.

@Deanzor is actually on the dev side of things vs CM. I concur on his doing an awesome job interacting and covering things - massive kudos there to him (a lot of it from vacation no less!)

Interesting in regards to Vita. I certainly know the pain of a child with a game issue. ;)

Is there a readily-available list of issues (or can one be made) that I can pursue to a proper conclusion? I certainly do have the ability to initiate change...I just may not always be the one directly making the changes. :p

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. :)

I have to say that they certainly do see the CM issue - and a solution is in the works. It just isn't quite there yet - similar to the CS/QA fixes. I am aware of where each of these sit...so just hang tight.

@Deanzor is actually on the dev side of things vs CM. I concur on his doing an awesome job interacting and covering things - massive kudos there to him (a lot of it from vacation no less!)

Interesting in regards to Vita. I certainly know the pain of a child with a game issue. ;)

Is there a readily-available list of issues (or can one be made) that I can pursue to a proper conclusion? I certainly do have the ability to initiate change...I just may not always be the one directly making the changes. :p

There's this topic that discusses the crashes while saving:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/occasional-crash-while-saving.19365/
But this was already reported and we got reply a while ago that it's being looked at, so we're just waiting at this point.

There's also this:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-crashes-after-frost-moon-update.12753/

And xxterminatorxx5 created a general list of bugs/glitches here:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-various-glitches-of-console-terraria.20336/

There might be more in the console bug section of the forum.

I have already shared Xterm's with the team previously.

I'll look at the others.

Back
Top Bottom