The "You use WHAT?!" thread

Frain Breeze

Terrarian
Everyone has their own preferred setup in this game. You use what you like, and it makes perfect sense to you. Then you read somebody else's wildly different setup, and all you can think is "How could you possibly stand that?!" So, what gets that response from you?

Warning: This thread may make you realize that you are the oddball.

Here are a few that get a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" from me:

1. Playing a PURE class (melee, ranged, or magic)
Terraria doesn't really punish you for being a jack of all trades, so I usually find it advantageous to carry around a good weapon from each type. I usually have a sword as a general-purpose killamajig, with a ranged weapon for dangerous stuff and some kind of magic support.

2. Focusing on pure magic in particular.
Due to how quickly mana seems to run out, I've always considered magic to be highly unreliable. The default "use mana potion" key seems awkward to reach for, and I never liked the idea of having to use up an accessory slot just to have them be auto-used. Kind of dumb reasons, yes, but it's probably from my experience using mostly jack-of-all-trades characters.

3. Never using permanent light sources when exploring.
I like to always know where I've been, without having to rely on the map. Seeing without having some floaty minion obscure my view or having to constantly swing a glowing weapon seems quite practical to me.

4. Abandoning any form of speed boots once wings are acquired.
I get that you can reach full speed in-flight, but to me the default is still always on the ground. Flying in spaces just barely tall enough to walk in will forever seem weird to me.

Everyone has their own preferred setup in this game. You use what you like, and it makes perfect sense to you. Then you read somebody else's wildly different setup, and all you can think is "How could you possibly stand that?!" So, what gets that response from you?

Here are a few that get a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" from me:

1. Playing a PURE class (melee, ranged, or magic)
Terraria doesn't really punish you for being a jack of all trades, so I usually find it advantageous to carry around a good weapon from each type. I usually have a sword as a general-purpose killamajig, with a ranged weapon for dangerous stuff and some kind of magic support.

2. Focusing on pure magic in particular.
Due to how quickly mana seems to run out, I've always considered magic to be highly unreliable. The default "use mana potion" key seems awkward to reach for, and I never liked the idea of having to use up an accessory slot just to have them be auto-used. Kind of dumb reasons, yes, but it's probably from my experience using mostly jack-of-all-trades characters.

3. Never using permanent light sources when exploring.
I like to always know where I've been, without having to rely on the map. Seeing without having some floaty minion obscure my view or having to constantly swing a glowing weapon seems quite practical to me.

4. Abandoning any form of speed boots once wings are acquired.
I get that you can reach full speed in-flight, but to me the default is still always on the ground. Flying in spaces just barely tall enough to walk in will forever seem weird to me.
1.) I can understand playing one of these classes as armors and accessories are divided into damage types, so you benefit more using magic with spectre armor than using melee with spectre armor. Not a bad idea to keep a melee weapon around for those times you run out of mana, just because that's better than not being able to attack at all.

2.) Default mana key is very strange yes, though you can change it to something more convenient. Also, you shouldn't have to use potions that often if you know how to use your mana effectively. Just holding click will run you out, but stopping every couple seconds will keep you full, plus there are mana stars that enemies drop.

3.) Map is good enough for me, though it can help to see where mobs are with lights around. I find the dungeon much more fun to explore when it's mostly dark, though.

4.) Boots use up a slot that can be used for something else. Wearing both only lets you fly a little higher, so it's more worth using that slot for an emblem or something.

As for what I find strange.. someone who wants to play "pure summonor." I don't understand how that works unless you spawn in a slime staff, but then just letting your minions do all the work seems very boring and would take forever. I also find playing pure ranger throughout the game to be odd as i've tried it myself and dislike having to keep up with the dozens of different ammo. I'd rather pick up a melee or magic weapon that I can use anytime, rather than pick up a ranged weapon, worry about having the right ammo and worry about running out.

1.) I can understand playing one of these classes as armors and accessories are divided into damage types, so you benefit more using magic with spectre armor than using melee with spectre armor. Not a bad idea to keep a melee weapon around for those times you run out of mana, just because that's better than not being able to attack at all.

2.) Default mana key is very strange yes, though you can change it to something more convenient. Also, you shouldn't have to use potions that often if you know how to use your mana effectively. Just holding click will run you out, but stopping every couple seconds will keep you full, plus there are mana stars that enemies drop.

3.) Map is good enough for me, though it can help to see where mobs are with lights around. I find the dungeon much more fun to explore when it's mostly dark, though.

4.) Boots use up a slot that can be used for something else. Wearing both only lets you fly a little higher, so it's more worth using that slot for an emblem or something.

As for what I find strange.. someone who wants to play "pure summonor." I don't understand how that works unless you spawn in a slime staff, but then just letting your minions do all the work seems very boring and would take forever. I also find playing pure ranger throughout the game to be odd as i've tried it myself and dislike having to keep up with the dozens of different ammo. I'd rather pick up a melee or magic weapon that I can use anytime, rather than pick up a ranged weapon, worry about having the right ammo and worry about running out.
Aah. You beat me to it! I was just getting ready to answer all the reasonings behind all four "I don't get them"s myself. Agree with you wholeheartedly, and that Pure Summoner bit as well.

But... I already knew that.

1. For me it's vice-versa. All my characters are optimized for either Ranged, Magic or Melee. It makes me wonder why some players use melee weapons while they're geared for magic or ranged. And vice-versa. The inefficient damage output bugs me.
2. My mages never have problems with that. The only times I have mana run out is during Pumpkin and Frost Moons but with tons of potions in my pocket I'm not bothered by that.
3. Sorry.
4. I keep my boots on, except when doing Pumpkin and Frost Moons. Then they're traded in for extra damage. (Not much need to walk a lot during one of those nights anyway.)

Crap I am the oddball eh?
Honestly I'm all Melee, have my Terra Blade, got my Hatchet/Paladin hammer depending on what I'm fighting. Warding enchantment on all my accessories, straight up tanky guy that makes kick :red: arenas and kills bosses with them.

I think I just don't understand how anyone can be pure magic user either. They look too Squishy and I feel like I can get off more DPS. (Not calling out any Magic users.) Summoners I think are OP if you do it right but other than that; just spells and potions? Meh. I can't really play like that to be honest. Guess I'm not skilled enough xD Same with ranged and bow weapons. I don't find they do enough damage and I don't like the idea of running out of the weapon to be honest.

I think I just don't understand how anyone can be pure magic user either. They look too Squishy...
Squishy? SQUISHY? *counts to ten*
But seriously, I can reach higher frost moon waves with a magic user, I've got a higher dps with them than melee. Could be just me ofcourse. :)
Admittedly, I absolutely love the survivability of melee users and the fact that they don't need ammo nor mana, so my favourite is still my melee using character Lancelot (the blue guy).

Squishy? SQUISHY? *counts to ten*
But seriously, I can reach higher frost moon waves with a magic user, I've got a higher dps with them than melee. Could be just me ofcourse. :)
Admittedly, I absolutely love the survivability of melee users and the fact that they don't need ammo nor mana, so my favourite is still my melee using character Lancelot (the blue guy).

I beat all the waves of Frost Moon with melee though :I, sure I might get the aid of some traps, and teleporters, with an arena set up that exploits bugs in the AI, but- still I'm melee. x3

Anyways yeah, if I went mage I take like half my HP in damage, I don't care for the specter set is why.

You got to wave 20? Alone? :eek: My gawd, I obviously suck.

Yep to the Alone, and nah, teleporting resets AI pathing, and when you have traps all around you killing everything that moves it's pretty much GG for anything in the immediate vicinity. I used to get past like 14-15ish alone without the traps but that took a bunch of buffs and a hell of a lot of jumping around and re-positioning as well as almost dying in the later waves almost always. ;-; Enemies are hard..., now I click one button, traps start up, got my teleporters on a 3 second timer that can be toggled to one second timer if needed, and health regen in each teleporter location. If I want it to be even faster I can equip my Tiki set and get nine imps out. (Piercing damage and less laggy. If I had Sharknado summoning item things would be even easier..) In any case, it's kinda cheap way to do it in my opinion xD

- Relying on buff potions for everything and anything. The only instance of the game where I did use buff potions was the Frost Moon, and that was just to get to wave 15+, after that was done and I had gathered all the drops from it, I didn't care about buff potions anymore.
- Same applies to arenas. I prefer to parkour the crap out of bosses.
- What you mean people still leave doors within NPC's reach? Ufufufufufufufufufu....
- Star Cannon. Yes, it is a quite murderous weapon, but the time sink involved into getting enough ammo to make it worth using is what makes it a weird choice.

I'm currently ranged with my flamethrower with a ranged emblem. I just farm slimes with the slime statue and collect the slime so need to keep my flamer going.
anyway, it's the people that use Mage stuff... It might be the simple reason that a suck at magic stuff, I'm more power and brawl then under power and brains

It might be the simple reason that a suck at magic stuff, I'm more power and brawl then under power and brains

"Under Power" amuses me whenever I see it used with relation to magic gear, since that gear has the highest DPS in most situations and can deal said DPS from two screens away.

I don't understand why people don't seem to use the well-fed buff all the time, especially with both fish and pumpkins being able to make it.
I also don't understand why people make super-elaborate arenas to fight bosses, a few platforms work just fine.

"Under Power" amuses me whenever I see it used with relation to magic gear, since that gear has the highest DPS in most situations and can deal said DPS from two screens away.

Sorry the way I meant underpowered was little protection or little armour lol

I hate melee weapons unless they have some sort of projectile function to them. This MAY be because my strategy is " Run away and spam Magic Harp"
for boss fights.

I’m at the point were I don’t give a :red: about lighting, minimap + wisp + fire gauntlet is perfectly fine by me. I tend to mine extremely quickly so whatevs.

As for what I don’t get, why do people consider the Ankh shield OP? Seriously, the thing is close to useless in a boss fight, and what it can be used for can be done by the Paladin’s shield. I’d rather go with a Paladin’s shield or additional damage accessory instead.

People not using the fire gauntlet
Impressed.png
. I mean, if you're meele, or if you enjoy exploration, it's AMAZING. It helps you keep track of enemies in the dark, by making them glow, and illuminate your entire neighborhood while attacking. Mixed with certain endgame-esque weapons, its ability to illuminate entire caves while exploring is simply gorgeous.

I wouldn't ever understand why someone would prefer the insignificant extra 3% damage and 3% meele speed of the mechanical glove instead of the beauty of FIRE
Love.gif

I don't understand how people can use melee only. I have a cactus/wooden sword for a while in pre-hardmode, and then I fight the eye of cthulhu with a bow. It's really hard for me to understand how to beat bosses as melee, even in late hardmode when you have all the "ranged" melee weapons. I'm mage/ranger all the way.

Back
Top Bottom