Theory on The Crimson/Corruption.

I've always kind of figured that the crimson was a regular biome a long time ago, then a big monster died and it's blood cursed the land it touched, cursing and transforms the regular npcs there. And I could see how the corruption is older, more worn out version if the crimson, like the bones have been buried under dirt, also that would explain why the curruption feels the spawn more often that the crimson, because most of the crimson has worn away...

To me, Corruption is Death, Decay. Everything is rotting, green festering flesh with dead disgusting blood. When corruption meets mud, and by extension, jungle, it drains all the life (water) out of the land, leaving it dry dirt.

The Crimson, as we all know, is living, it absorbs all life into itself as biomass. Why are Crimson and Corruption mutually exclusive? The Crimson cannot assimilate dead decayed corrupted land. Thats how I see it.

For me due to the shape of the corruption and the uniformity of its native inhabitants the corruption feels like a nest...
The chasms are where the young eaters emerge from growing bigger until they can mature into corruptors(which is a process that was :red:ed by the suppression of darkness and light) the EOW devourers and world feeders are in my mind also quite similar hinting they may also be different stages of development of the same creature (world feeders never use cursed flames so it adds to the cycle... wait perhaps they spawn the clingers! and the EOW spawns devourers and eaters.

So this is my model:
Chasm: nest where young eaters and devourers are born
Eater of Souls(grow from little eater up through big eater and then grow up into corruptors)
Corruptors: Adult eaters, serve as the main enforcers for their species assisting the spread of the corruption to facilitate the next generation at the worlds expense
Devourers->World feeders->EOW-renew the next cycle these worms are the heart of the corruption and may very well be responsible for reproducing maybe the shadow orbs were their dormant offspring (hence why a EOW comes to destroy you when you shatter the orbs... maybe it just wants to protect its nest?)
Clingers: may very well be stationary guardians for the corruption attacking intruders with flames perhaps spawned by World feeders or might even be an intermediary phase of development...

other corrupt enemies in this model are either unfortunate creatures tainted (dark mummies, corrupt gold fish)or things such as Slimers and Corrupt slimes that have adapted to the environment left behind by the forces of the corruption.

This model might explain the m=names of the worms of the corruption all of them feature names mentioning the consumption of the world if they are in fact the reproductive members responsible for enforcing the consumption of the world, which were simply held in check by the WOF. Then they hold true to their name taking resources to spread their kind throughout Terraria...

Conversely the crimson feels far more unnatural with the biome itself being the creature the monsters found here seem more like native defense mechanisms that remove the intruder namely the player as the crimson eats the world literally to sustain itself...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the idea of the Crimson was based off of War of the Worlds, when the aliens were terraforming the planet with flesh.

The Corruption, though? I have no idea. Maybe it was just a creative idea that popped into Red's head at the time.

Headcanon accepted! (But yeah that's actually a really interesting way of looking at it that makes quite a bit of sense!)

My loftier theories about the Crimson and Corruption, is that both are extra-terrestrial in nature. Take a look at the Corruption on a fresh world: It only exists in chasms, and the chasms have shadow orbs at the bottom of deep pits, surrounded by a ball of ebonstone. Destroying them summons a pissed Eater of Worlds. Due to the lack of official canon (I saw Redigit looking at this thread earlier so he'll probably troll me and debunk everything :red2:), I think that the shadow orbs have fallen from space; and are Eaters of Worlds. The chasms sure do like they might have been formed from a deep impact that ate into the earth, and everything around the impact site is being devoured, the life sucked out. "Eater of Worlds" indeed. The planets are being seeded by an evil from beyond.

The Crimson on the other hand, is Cthulu's undying remains trying to reform, using the biomass of the planet it infests and assimilates. The giant skeleton in the background, and the brain being Crimson exclusive give at least some credence to this idea. That leaves the Eye of Cthulu, present on both worlds. Maybe its scouting worlds for a host for its remains to gather and reform? Maybe the Crimson tunnels, are EYES THAT HAVE MUTATED. A world infested by Corruption is not an ideal host; dead lifeless matter without nutrients is unusable.

My loftier theories about the Crimson and Corruption, is that both are extra-terrestrial in nature. Take a look at the Corruption on a fresh world: It only exists in chasms, and the chasms have shadow orbs at the bottom of deep pits, surrounded by a ball of ebonstone. Destroying them summons a pissed Eater of Worlds. Due to the lack of official canon (I saw Redigit looking at this thread earlier so he'll probably troll me and debunk everything :red2:), I think that the shadow orbs have fallen from space; and are Eaters of Worlds. The chasms sure do like they might have been formed from a deep impact that ate into the earth, and everything around the impact site is being devoured, the life sucked out. "Eater of Worlds" indeed. The planets are being seeded by an evil from beyond.

The Crimson on the other hand, is Cthulu's undying remains trying to reform, using the biomass of the planet it infests and assimilates. The giant skeleton in the background, and the brain being Crimson exclusive give at least some credence to this idea. That leaves the Eye of Cthulu, present on both worlds. Maybe its scouting worlds for a host for its remains to gather and reform? Maybe the Crimson tunnels, are EYES THAT HAVE MUTATED. A world infested by Corruption is not an ideal host; dead lifeless matter without nutrients is unusable.
that's an interesting theory. Another reason they could be extraterrestrial is that meteors fall once you shatter shadow orbs/demon hearts.
Also just realized that the crimson's demon hearts could relate to cthulhu as well.

that's an interesting theory. Another reason they could be extraterrestrial is that meteors fall once you shatter shadow orbs/demon hearts.
Also just realized that the crimson's demon hearts could relate to cthulhu as well.

Yep, whats inside the Brain of Cthulu? A heart

Same thing applies, the hearts could simply be larval brains, the destruction of which summons a complete Brain as a defence mechanism.

I was actually thinking of suggesting an idea that Crimson and Corruption could occur in worlds like meteor strikes do, unlike how they are now. I thought maybe first a Crimson one, and if you let it stay long enough it becomes Corrupted. This way, you could get both biomes in one world. This would also allow for semi renewable shadow orbs and hearts. The altars would be a problem though.

However, it would be a LOT of work to code, so I doubt it would ever be accepted. It could also make for some interesting scenarios if they added that "When Biomes Clash" idea that I saw once.

It doesn't hurt to speculate and discuss though. :)

I like to think that the Eater of Worlds is an alien entity that spreads the corruption to create worlds it's kind can live on. And all the various "eaters" that appear are various stages of the EoW's lifecycle, with the World-Feeder being closest to adulthood. All the other enemies in the corruption are just existing world entities that were corrupted by it's existence.

The shadow orbs are EoW eggs and the tunnels are it's nest. The flying enemies are probably symbiotic parasites that follow the Eaters-of-Worlds and help protect their nests to ensure the spread of more corruption.
Basically the same as this, except in my version, the Eater of Worlds itself is what crashed down on the planet, and began creating a nest and laying it's "eggs" (the Shadow Orbs).

I LIKE THIS.

Nice theories all round.

....The Crimson on the other hand, is Cthulu's undying remains trying to reform, using the biomass of the planet it infests and assimilates. The giant skeleton in the background, and the brain being Crimson exclusive give at least some credence to this idea. That leaves the Eye of Cthulu, present on both worlds. Maybe its scouting worlds for a host for its remains to gather and reform? Maybe the Crimson tunnels, are EYES THAT HAVE MUTATED. A world infested by Corruption is not an ideal host; dead lifeless matter without nutrients is unusable.

Or more simply, in a Corruption world the Crimson remnants of Cthulhu have rotted beyond recovery with only a lonesome wandering eye surviving.

Last edited:
Double posted but it has been a day without a post so forgive me for rekindling the fire.

So.. piecing this info together opens up a real can of worms (so punny). Skipping some cool points, like the Crimson attempting to reform as Cthulhu as evidence by the hearts or the missing eyes in the mobs, the basic principles we may consider:

- The Corruption is the rotted remnants of the Crimson
- The Crimson is the remnants of Cthulhu. (The world is a post apocalypse)
- As evidence of the chasms and Shadow Orbs, the Corruption came from outer space. (Some think otherwise but I think most will agree it looks as though they fell to earth, as well as the whole meteor link thing)

So if the Corruption came from outer space then it can't entirely be the remnants of Crimson - the Shadow Orbs are more than that... So what if the Shadow Orbs fell from outer space onto the Crimson - killing and consequently rotting the last remnants of Cthulhu bar the eye which was wandering freely?

In this way it seems the Corruption and Crimson are opposites (and not the Hallow) and at war with each other - one of life reforming, the other of life decaying. And if the Hallow is a "heavenly" or holy place, as per its title and rainbows and unicorns, then we already have an alternative, the unholy: the Underworld.

Double posted but it has been a day without a post so forgive me for rekindling the fire.

So.. piecing this info together opens up a real can of worms (so punny). Skipping some cool points, like the Crimson attempting to reform as Cthulhu as evidence by the hearts or the missing eyes in the mobs, the basic principles we may consider:

- The Corruption is the rotted remnants of the Crimson
- The Crimson is the remnants of Cthulhu. (The world is a post apocalypse)
- As evidence of the chasms and Shadow Orbs, the Corruption came from outer space. (Some think otherwise but I think most will agree it looks as though they fell to earth, as well as the whole meteor link thing)

So if the Corruption came from outer space then it can't entirely be the remnants of Crimson - the Shadow Orbs are more than that... So what if the Shadow Orbs fell from outer space onto the Crimson - killing and consequently rotting the last remnants of Cthulhu bar the eye which was wandering freely?

In this way it seems the Corruption and Crimson are opposites (and not the Hallow) and at war with each other - one of life reforming, the other of life decaying. And if the Hallow is a "heavenly" or holy place, as per its title and rainbows and unicorns, then we already have an alternative, the unholy: the Underworld.
Maybe there was a battle between Cthulu and some other alien entity, and the Corruption/Crimson is a result of the fallout.

Come to think of it, the world is a Dying Earth, this is pre-apocalypse. Cthulhu is rising, taking form. Once he forms he brings about the end of the world and ushers in a new era. As per many cultures, death or the end isn't bad or evil but rather a necessary purgative to bring about the new.

Now the Corruption doesn't want this as it is all about death and decay, the Corruption wants a permanent stasis of rot - not new beginnings, so it attacks (in some realities) the forming Cthulhu in attempt to stop or delay the cataclysm.

Back
Top Bottom