Theory on The Crimson/Corruption.

Hmm... reading all these similar theories makes me doubt my own... Oh well, here it goes.
Obviously, the Terraria world revolves around Cthulhu (and now for something new). I believe that Cthulhu isn't dead. He began trying to create a force powerful enough to destroy everything at one point in time, to aid him in his conquest. He began with the Corruption. Poorly made and rotting incessantly, it failed his expectations and attempted to rid himself of it, but before he could it began attacking him, and he lost his eye to it, which became corrupted by the power of the newly created force. Although eventually winning, Cthulhu foolishly flung it away in his rage instead of destroying it and it settled and found life (or death) of it's own, upon Terrarian soil. So he began making another that could destroy the Corruption. In the earlier updates, this was the case, with each "update" being a passage of time, or a rebirth of the world, with changes. So by 1.2, he had finished creating this new force; The Crimson. Now during the period between 1.1 and the world "rebirth", a battle ensued, with The Crimson eventually winning. Now, I said before that Cthulhu wasn't dead, but that is only pre-1.2. His bones in the crimson prove he is dead, so he is now building up power to recreate himself, and destroy the Hallow, as only now did he learn of this force existing, and so he vowed to destroy it along with the rest of Terraria.

Sorry if this doesn't entirely fit into the category of Crimson and Corruption only lore, but this was the best thread I could find. Sorry if it's also a bit, well :redspin:.

I like to think that the crimson was actually a giant beast from space that fell into the earth with great velocity, causing all his guts to spill through the land, creating the crimson. The creatures that inhabit it being parasites that used to be inside said beast. The brain of cthulhu being the brain of said creature, which could also lead to an even bigger theory that cthulhu is said beast. I base this theory on the fact that the background has a giant torax in it.

As for the corruption, probably the decayed gore of said monster.

Last edited:
Okay, it is almost torture seeing all these long theories. I figured it out once and for all (By having a long meeting with my NPCs). It may get a little off topic but it is all true.

Terraria was the world. It was the creator of the world. It created bunnies and squirrels and birds and slimes. All the mobs were peaceful. Then one day soon after the guide arrived something happened. Hell broke out. Terraria was feeling bad and created hell. Demons and Voodoo demons. He topped it off by creating another god, and his name was Cthulhu. Terraria and Cthulhu had fights a lot. I mean, Terraria is the god of creation and Cthulhu is the god of destruction. They were always trying to reverse each others actions. Terraria made the Hallow and Cthulhu made Corruption. Corruption overtook the Hallow. Terraria was so mad that he tried to kill Cthulhu. The best he could do was poke out his eye. His eye fell to the world below. Where it hit the corruption spread to. The corruption. It was a beautiful place. It was yellow and cheerful. The perfect place for the ruler of the universe and god of death to put his castle. But when the eye hit there it turned purple and nasty. Terraria got even more mad at Cthulhu for ruining his world. Cthulhu, however, had enough. He killed Terraria. Terraria was brewing still, as he could not truly die, as he was a god. He was one of the most powerful entities ever. He tried to create the Hallow again, but in his deprived state he accidently made the Crimson. Woops! The world was in a war. Crimson consumed the corruption. Corruption was inside the Crimson. It tired to get out. The crimson turned creatures into worse ones. The slimes passed through once and hated the player. But they could only recognize the player if the player hurt them. The guide, however, was sitting at home. He was a genius at the time. He created an entire biome out of a mushroom. The jungle grew out of small plants. The corruption and Crimson continued to fight. Mobs brewed. Then, Terraria grew strong. It happened once every millennia to every god. Both Cthulhu and Terraria were at full strength. Cthulhu created the blood moon and Terraria created the Hallow. Cthulhu was mad and went to the world and ate the Hallow. He stopped by the Crimson to see what was going on, and his brain dropped out. He then went down to hell. He called himself the Wall of Flesh. If he died in that form, he took place in more powerful entities. He called these hardmode bosses. The only problem was, once he was defeated in his first form, the Hallow was released.

Well, that was the history of Terraria! At the end Terraria dissolved into the ground and the land became known as that. I did get off topic but that is the entire history of Terraria!

This fits into what I think.

The Crimson is the dead body of Cthulhu, and of course it deteriorated over time. It's flesh eventually seeped into the Underworld and became the Wall of Flesh.

The Eater of Worlds should be named Tentacle(s) of Cthulhu :p

My theory: The Crimson is actually one enormous creature, eating the energy of the land and replaces everything with it's own body. Face Monsters are lihzahrds and humans that got stuck in the Crimson and became "Crimsoned". The others are just creatures who adapted to the Crimson. Since they all are part of the biome, they don't need eyes. They can feel vibrations of the Crimson itself.

The OP theory really does make sense. The Corruption is much darker than the Crimson, this can explain all of the eyes. Also, I see the Shadow Orbs like pearl-like objects, formed around things left and forgotten in the Corruption. The material in the orbs release unnatural energy when destroyed, that wakes the EoW from her/his sleep.

Crimson=Cthulhu's dead rotting body. The chasms are shaped like a hand. Cthulhu stuck one of its arms in his rotting body before he died and put power sources (demon hearts) to keep his brain living.
Corruption= (may think of something else) Created by Cthulhu before his death in an attempt to take over terraria (hence how the cursed flames cant burn out in water because they are Cthulhu's burning desires)
EDIT: Cthulhu removed one of his tentacles. that is the eater of worlds. The eater lays eggs (shadow orbs) to make defeating the corruption harder
The corruption was made long before the crimson (because crimson is cthulhus dead body) to take over terraria.

I will extend this if anybody says they want more

Last edited:
Ichor is "the blood of the gods"... Cthulhu's blood. Maybe the crimson is simply a rot-resistant version of the same biome?

I think the crimson came first. The crimson was once normal but a twisted sorceress decided she needed land to control, it spread to everything, wood, stone, trees and even people! Oh that was the worst, turning them in vile face monsters with their dead braincells thinking one thing: KILL! Soon it became out of hand. The great gods tried to destroy the evil but only created The Corruption by accident. Only the crimera had survived the locking away of the crimson and began to evolve to suit their new corrupt envirment. Thats my theory :D

I would think of how terraria was created was like dont starve - An old man named ctulhu came into a magical book, making him the ruler of the world.
There were 2 books - One where he died, and one where he landed too hard on the planet. He had a huge growth on his back after landing on it. He saw the growth was purple, and emiting light. He took it off and threw it on the ground, and purple things started to spread.
The one where he died, he landed too hard on the planet, and instantly rotted away. Though his blood wasnt gone, the book says wherever the new owner of Terraria dies, the corruption becomes a bloody mass.
As for the hallow, this was locked away by ancient wizards, who put the "Cleaner" into hell, tempting anyone who tried to beat him. When they beat this foul beat, the hallow tried its best to defeat the corruption, and ransect the crimson,

I always thought corruption was all shadow related (With the shadow orb being a dead give-away). The creatures come from the void, allowing for many different lifeforms. (The void is unknown, so anything could come out of it. The void is also very dark, similar to corruption's theme.)

Whereas crimson was where Cthulu died. Destroying the different chunks and pieces of his heart(Demon heart) wakes the resting spirit of Cthulu, commanding his body parts to rid of the player disturbing his peace.

This is just my theory, though.

Okay, it is almost torture seeing all these long theories. I figured it out once and for all (By having a long meeting with my NPCs). It may get a little off topic but it is all true.

Terraria was the world. It was the creator of the world. It created bunnies and squirrels and birds and slimes. All the mobs were peaceful. Then one day soon after the guide arrived something happened. Hell broke out. Terraria was feeling bad and created hell. Demons and Voodoo demons. He topped it off by creating another god, and his name was Cthulhu. Terraria and Cthulhu had fights a lot. I mean, Terraria is the god of creation and Cthulhu is the god of destruction. They were always trying to reverse each others actions. Terraria made the Hallow and Cthulhu made Corruption. Corruption overtook the Hallow. Terraria was so mad that he tried to kill Cthulhu. The best he could do was poke out his eye. His eye fell to the world below. Where it hit the corruption spread to. The corruption. It was a beautiful place. It was yellow and cheerful. The perfect place for the ruler of the universe and god of death to put his castle. But when the eye hit there it turned purple and nasty. Terraria got even more mad at Cthulhu for ruining his world. Cthulhu, however, had enough. He killed Terraria. Terraria was brewing still, as he could not truly die, as he was a god. He was one of the most powerful entities ever. He tried to create the Hallow again, but in his deprived state he accidently made the Crimson. Woops! The world was in a war. Crimson consumed the corruption. Corruption was inside the Crimson. It tired to get out. The crimson turned creatures into worse ones. The slimes passed through once and hated the player. But they could only recognize the player if the player hurt them. The guide, however, was sitting at home. He was a genius at the time. He created an entire biome out of a mushroom. The jungle grew out of small plants. The corruption and Crimson continued to fight. Mobs brewed. Then, Terraria grew strong. It happened once every millennia to every god. Both Cthulhu and Terraria were at full strength. Cthulhu created the blood moon and Terraria created the Hallow. Cthulhu was mad and went to the world and ate the Hallow. He stopped by the Crimson to see what was going on, and his brain dropped out. He then went down to hell. He called himself the Wall of Flesh. If he died in that form, he took place in more powerful entities. He called these hardmode bosses. The only problem was, once he was defeated in his first form, the Hallow was released.

Well, that was the history of Terraria! At the end Terraria dissolved into the ground and the land became known as that. I did get off topic but that is the entire history of Terraria!

Back
Top Bottom