Theory: The Underground Societies of Terraria (Deleted)

My theories have not been perfect, but please rate me on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being the worst.

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 5 55.6%

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would think that most underground cabins are built by spelunkers in the past, who then met their end in some way or other. They were functioning like houses or just bases of operation in an area. Then their owners left them either due to dying, or leaving the area. if someone lived there, the loot you find there originally might belonged to them.
Be it a jungle expedition, or some ore miners, or anything.

Living trees are a special cases, since that seems to be mostly natural. they just grow like that, and some people moved in temporarily - it is possible they were inhabited by dryads at some point though, your theory makes some sense. that would mean that living trees are extremely ancient though. well, most of them are probably pretty old though. likely.

I dunno about lizhards actually, they're very mysterious, but we only see them in the temple (you can only see then outside nearby, if the entrance has lizhard bricks too, when they might appear.)
it is possible they once inhabited larger parts of the jungle, but then I would assume more structures (and furnitures) in a similar fashion as lizhard brick furniture sets. the jungle cabins are made of mahogany, and the furnitures does not resemble the lizhard style.

Nice theory.

Regarding the Jungle Underground Cabins, I feel like The Dryads could also fit there. The first reason being Dryad's biome preference, if we assume that your reason's for the Dryads living in the Giant Tree are correct, then why would her favorite biome be Jungle ? Granted it isn't that big of a deal but it's still something to think about. My second reason is a bit of a streach and it's about an item found in the chests inside the Cabins, Feral Claws. If we look at how lizard people are often potrayed in media thay usually have less then 5 fingers, and while it's very hard to tell and it's very likely I could be wrong, as far as I can tell from looking at the sprites of the Witch Doctor and normal Lihzahrds they also have less fingers and if that's the case, why would they have gloves that can't fit them. Another item that could be argued is the boomstick but I think it could still work.

I would also like to throw in a couple sugestions for the Cabins you didn't mentioned.

First there're the normal Cabins which were likely to be homes of Dwarves. We know that they exist thanks to the Demolitionist and they are known to live underground.

Next up are the Marble Cave Cabins, likely to have been homes of a Greek-like civlization due to the abundence of references to greek myths and archiecture

And finally the one I find the most interesting, Desert. They are the most unique among them all (except Underworld) with paintings that are exclusive to them and the biggest amount of unique items. There's also the Pyramid where you can find the Pharoah's set and you can't have a Pharoah without anybody to rule over but just like the Eskimos they were never mentioned in lore.

What I find mysterious is how there are these undreground structure in virtually every underground biome... however none exist on the surface. There's even houses in the sky but until the player comes no manmade structures exist on the surface.

There are Icy Merman and Ice Elementals who spawn in the Hardmode tundra. Maybe they are the frozen souls of adventurers.

What I find mysterious is how there are these undreground structure in virtually every underground biome... however none exist on the surface. There's even houses in the sky but until the player comes no manmade structures exist on the surface.
I think the reason for that is less related to lore, than the fact that this way it's the "build your own" way.
Any mods that adds surface structures can run into the problem, that said structures are in the way for builders.
this is less a problem underground.

--------

Also, I think there's one more thing.
These cabins might been built at different times, not all the same time. some civilisations might be more ancient (e.g. ancient egyptian and greek), while some cabins might be related to more contemporary(?) expeditions, explaining the presence of loot like the boomstick. It could be very well related to something like an expedition like in Tarzan, by Professor Porter (I think that's his name?) as the "helper" they hired also had something very similar to the boomstick. so, it could be easily a late 1800-ish expedition, and they built some huts to stay in until they went back home.

So, some of the cabins are less ancient, while some others are much older than those, like some of the underground desert's ancient egyptian themed stuff.

This is similar to how the (post-plantera) dungeon features undead that are most likely went there - and died, and the dungeon reanimated their corpses - at different times in a theoretical timeline, like the paladdins being medieval, and the elite commando being modern/comtemporary.

-------------

One of the absolutely awesome things in Terraria though is, that all this eclectic chaos actually feels natural, and don't seems to cause much problems with each other.

This is the very same "eclectic" type of setting, like of some other games and cartoons, like the old Lego Racers games, where a pirate captain and an alien and other random stuff in the same race are totally normal, or the old Wacky Racers series where you have contemporary good and bad-guys, as well as cavemen, 1920s style gangsters, some creepy monsters, and who knows what else are participating in the same race.

A similar things to a sort of atmosphere I seen in amusement parks (at least that one that was in this city. though closed down many years ago.) where knights and wizards are perfectly normal next to a cavemen and a dinosaur (who, to begin with weren't present in the same historical age), as well random conteporary and other stuff, and many more things, be it animal-like, or anthropomorphic animals, or even initially non-alive things, like a boat or a locomotive or anything.

I'm actually quite baffled how these things can all work so well together in some of these games, when - if you would think deeper about it - this sort of setting would make no actual sense. even if you got teleported there from the stone age, if you see that others run around with machine guns, you most likely will get one too, instead of keeping using your old wooden club. But in this sort of eclectic setting, the cavemen will stay using their clubs, and the pirates swing their cutlasses, and everything is fine as it is. And that's somehow is just very magical and charming.
I wonder how this actually works? XD How can all these unrelated things blend in so well with each other? and make such awesome and fun games and cartoons?

It might either be that at one point there were cabins on the Surface, but were destroyed a long time before our arrival to the world.

Or they were never built on the surface because of either the Surface was too dangerous in the past, or because while there were people to build the cabins, the Humans lived together in big settlements, and the other species preferred either the Underground or the Sky.

The first theory explains the seemingly random chests found in the Surface, the second could tie in with the first (though it also makes sense alone) and the third explains why there are cabins in the Underground and on Floating Islands, but not on the Surface.

But hey! That's just a theory! A GAME THEORY! thanks for watching!
LOL! Here's the thing: Unlike Game Theory, my titles are about the theories I support, while I've noticed Game Theory's titles are often the opposite of what he believes in the end! Not saying he's a bad channel, because he's not. Just felt like pointing out something interesting I've noticed!

Nice theory.

Regarding the Jungle Underground Cabins, I feel like The Dryads could also fit there. The first reason being Dryad's biome preference, if we assume that your reason's for the Dryads living in the Giant Tree are correct, then why would her favorite biome be Jungle ? Granted it isn't that big of a deal but it's still something to think about. My second reason is a bit of a streach and it's about an item found in the chests inside the Cabins, Feral Claws. If we look at how lizard people are often potrayed in media thay usually have less then 5 fingers, and while it's very hard to tell and it's very likely I could be wrong, as far as I can tell from looking at the sprites of the Witch Doctor and normal Lihzahrds they also have less fingers and if that's the case, why would they have gloves that can't fit them. Another item that could be argued is the boomstick but I think it could still work.

I would also like to throw in a couple sugestions for the Cabins you didn't mentioned.

First there're the normal Cabins which were likely to be homes of Dwarves. We know that they exist thanks to the Demolitionist and they are known to live underground.

Next up are the Marble Cave Cabins, likely to have been homes of a Greek-like civlization due to the abundence of references to greek myths and archiecture

And finally the one I find the most interesting, Desert. They are the most unique among them all (except Underworld) with paintings that are exclusive to them and the biggest amount of unique items. There's also the Pyramid where you can find the Pharoah's set and you can't have a Pharoah without anybody to rule over but just like the Eskimos they were never mentioned in lore.
It’s actually romans, legionaries appear there, and romans were known to copy greeks

The only thing that connects it to rome specificly is the Gladius and the gladiator armor but it's look is based on greek soldier armor.
The Marble Biome is technically based on ancient Greece, but personally I think it's a good mix of both. After all, a lot of Roman culture came from the ancient Greeks.

(If Fortnite was destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're with me in the 10% who would be jumping for joy, copy this into your signature and hope it happens.)

Back
Top Bottom