There & Back Again: A Summary of Journey's End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... just wow... Shame that I only got back into terraria in the past year. I've owned the game for 4 years now but never even realized it would end someday

Not sure how else to announce it, but the Ninja Armor balance notes were in error. It was only meant to have 3% global critical chance per piece (9% total), not 3% damage AND critical chance. The changelog notes have been changed to reflect this.

Fossil armor seems useless, it has less defense than ninja now, and why would I want 9% ranged crit when I could have 9% all damage and crit?
edit: You posted the ninja armor thing while I was typing this lol, still seems like slightly better fossil armor

The buff the early hardmode yoyo's seems odd, they were already some of the best weapons, the only issue I had with them is that they conflicted with spider iFrames, which has been fixed.

Why did you nerf the cactus sword? It was a little weak compared to a wood bow with frostburn arrows. Leave the cactus sword alone and buff the early ore broadswords. You get more damage output from using an ore bow with frostburn arrows than you would with it's respective ore broadsword. The swords need more damage to justify getting so close.

Venom (and cursed flames) are still weaker than ichor. Ichor effectivly adds +10 damage to every attack, so if you're hitting an enemy more than 3 times per second, which isn't hard to achieve in harmode, you'll be doing more damage. Ichor should get it's defense reduction nerfed to -10.

Fire gantlet should have the same damage and speed buffs as the mech gauntlet. 4dp/s is pretty insignifcant at the time you get it and everyone considers it a downgrade over the mech glove.

Someone already mentioned it but, the dart weapon buff is questionable, they were already very solid weapons.

I noticed from analyzing videos on 1.4 that the Zombie, Skeleton, Angry Bones, Demon Eye, Eater of Souls and Hornet size variants were removed, but this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the changelog.

Squire Set (Nerf)
- Squire Great Helm's healing decreased by 50%
Valhalla Set (Nerf)
- Valhalla Breastplate's healing decreased by 50%
I'm a little conflicted with this one. On the one hand the nerf makes perfect sense with how strong the healing is. On the other hand the Old One's armor sets are all about sentinel summons which require you to be relatively non mobile. I hope the nerf won't affect the armors intended purpose.
Wouldn't it have been better to have the armor weight you down, even while mounted, rather than nerf the life regen by half?

Strange Plants no longer generate during worldgen, and will not start appearing until Hardmode
That means that these dyes won't available until hardmode.
dyes.png

That's a little disappointing. What was the reason for this change?

Desert Fossil can now be mined at any pickaxe power or with bombs. However, it is fragile and adjacent fossil blocks may break when you mine it, costing you some of the ore.
I feel like I'm missing something here. Will there be a lossless method of obtaining fossils?

Fossil armor seems useless, it has less defense than ninja now, and why would I want 9% ranged crit when I could have 9% all damage and crit?
edit: You posted the ninja armor thing while I was typing this lol, still seems like slightly better fossil armor

The buff the early hardmode yoyo's seems odd, they were already some of the best weapons, the only issue I had with them is that they conflicted with spider iFrames, which has been fixed.

Why did you nerf the cactus sword? It was a little weak compared to a wood bow with frostburn arrows. Leave the cactus sword alone and buff the early ore broadswords. You get more damage output from using an ore bow with frostburn arrows than you would with it's respective ore broadsword. The swords need more damage to justify getting so close.

Venom (and cursed flames) are still weaker than ichor. Ichor effectivly adds +10 damage to every attack, so if you're hitting an enemy more than 3 times per second, which isn't hard to achieve in harmode, you'll be doing more damage. Ichor should get it's defense reduction nerfed to -10.

Fire gantlet should have the same damage and speed buffs as the mech gauntlet. 4dp/s is pretty insignifcant at the time you get it and everyone considers it a downgrade over the mech glove.

Someone already mentioned it but, the dart weapon buff is questionable, they were already very solid weapons.

I'm likely going to be having some discussion threads at some point about reviewing balance.

Not every change here was made by me. I've only taken over balancing stuff in the past 4-5 months, and this build was three years in the making . . . some stuff had been adjusted previously. I try not to revert other people's changes, and some of the changes mentioned are among them. However, in defense of a few:

- I've been told that Fire Gauntlet is weaker than Mech Gauntlet because the two stack, and it is preventative for over stacking. However, I'm happy to re-assess for post-launch adjustments.
- Venom and Cursed Flames, as DoT effects, are probably always going to be weaker than Ichor. However, in their current state, they are much stronger than they were, and I consider them an improvement. I don't see Ichor being nerfed, and I don't see Venom/Cursed Flames being buffed further. I will note that tagging a lot of enemies with Cursed Flames can output more DPS than Ichor under the right circumstances, though Ichor is certainly the better boss killer. I think DoT, as a whole in Terraria, just doesn't scale up too well at the end game, except for the extreme variants like Daybreak. Just . . . a conflict with the core mechanics perhaps.
- Fossil, as mentioned, is now very early game, and available prior to any boss. Its weak, but if you can brave the Underground Desert, it is an option.

Will be eager to do more discussion moving forward, but nothing else is likely to be changed prior to launch.

I'm a little conflicted with this one. On the one hand the nerf makes perfect sense with how strong the healing is. On the other hand the Old One's armor sets are all about sentinel summons which require you to be relatively non mobile. I hope the nerf won't affect the armors intended purpose.
Wouldn't it have been better to have the armor weight you down, even while mounted, rather than nerf the life regen by half?

That means that these dyes won't available until hardmode.
That's a little disappointing. What was the reason for this change?

I feel like I'm missing something here. Will there be a lossless method of obtaining fossils?

1. Fundamentally speaking, the massive healing offered by these armors was just too much. IMO, Valhalla Armor's healing potency is still very extreme, even at 50% potency. It was too easy to slap this armor piece onto any set combo and just tank everything. Not intended. (And still semi-possible, despite the nerf).

2. Dyes, though a vanity thing, should still have some sense of progression and balance, and the availability of fancy dyes extremely early on, sometimes EARLIER than "standard" dyes rendered standard dyes kinda a lame downgrade from the fancy dyes you might get in the first day. I believe that was the reason for this.

3. I don't believe so, I think the Fossil change was meant to resemble the delicate nature of fossils. I wasn't very involved in that, but now that Fossil is super early game and the Underground Desert is a bit more hectic, it adds a sort of strategy to it . . . if you mine carefully, you can minimize loss, but if you do it wildly, you lose more, while under pressure from new threats. Couldn't say more on the matter really.

I'll admit that some of these changes may be questionable, but all and all, this is one outstanding update that I, and many other players, cannot wait for.

Jumping to conclusions way too quickly here, Psycho Knife, Flails and all the early HM yoyos got some big buffs and who knows how many new melee weapons we're getting.

Amazon and Beam Sword nerfs don't really make sense to me though

Enchanted sword and sword from Bee Queen should not be nerfed. Later one even lost autoswing.

Item for autoswing comes too late for this sword to not be destroyed by the nerf.

Enchanted sword also lost speed, damage and knockback. Same as cactus sword.

Melee armor from old one's army lost 50% of it's health bonus as i read.

Everything in this update seems to promote summoner and ranged class. Melee got "final sword" which will kill everything 1 shot proving useless because there's no post moonlord content to use it on.

Phantom Phoenix bow will now destroy half of hardmode even more easily

Last edited:
IMO, Valhalla Armor's healing potency is still very extreme, even at 50% potency. It was too easy to slap this armor piece onto any set combo and just tank everything.
Oh yes. I know that well so I agree that some nerfing of some kind or another was due and makes perfect sense.

Dyes, though a vanity thing, should still have some sense of progression and balance, and the availability of fancy dyes extremely early on, sometimes EARLIER than "standard" dyes rendered standard dyes kinda a lame downgrade from the fancy dyes you might get in the first day. I believe that was the reason for this.
Yeah that does make sense.

3. I don't believe so, I think the Fossil change was meant to resemble the delicate nature of fossils. I wasn't very involved in that, but now that Fossil is super early game and the Underground Desert is a bit more hectic, it adds a sort of strategy to it . . . if you mine carefully, you can minimize loss, but if you do it wildly, you lose more, while under pressure from new threats. Couldn't say more on the matter really.
I ask mostly because it's already a little difficult to find large amounts of fossil (say for construction) and unlike sturdy fossil it isn't renewable at all. On that same note will desert fossil wall be finally made obtainable?
Desert_Fossil_Wall_(placed).png

- Summoned minions now adjust their damage dynamically based on your current equipment and damage buffs. If your Summon damage increases, or decreases, the Summons will change accordingly.
I QUIT PLAYING SUMMONER...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom