Things you always do before entering hardmode?

Crystal The Lynx

Steampunker
As the title says, what things do you make sure you've done just before going up against the WoF.
For myself I have four main rules;
1. Make a large hellevator (i.e 4+ blocks wide)
2. Neaten up and widen any tunnels underground.
3. Clean up the Dungeon, by removing all spikes and clear out any catch points or dead ends.
4. Remove all traces of corruption/crimson from the world, be it via explosions or purification.

Tidy up my hellevator (wall off the edges and light up the whole thing)
Create a lockdown switch for my base, using actuators to enable "shields" and open up lava traps.
Stock up speleunker potions to quickly get hardmode ore

I always find myself digging a wide three-block tunnel around the entirety of the corruption or crimson. The new one that spawns afterward will have to be dealt with later. I also always make sure to have a molten pickaxe or reaver shark ready for the cobalt or palladium. I try to have every pre-hardmode NPC with the exception of the Party Girl, since you have to get pretty lucky for her to spawn.

- Make Hellevators every few miles to segment the map. Will help later containing the corruption and finding new sources of it.
- Make sure all my npc's are high and dry in a building ~10 blocks from the ground.
- Have a decent portion of the map explored.

Kill the Guide. Wait, that's a given.

Build a Hellbridge, obviously. Place a Heart and Star Statues if possible, wire them up and pray that the bridge is long enough.

Dig deep holes next to both oceans, the jungle and my house to protect them from evil/hallow spread. I don't really care about much else.

I've learned the hard way through trial and error, but the stuff that hasn't already been covered explicitly in the previous replies is;
1) Make neat tunnels around the existing corruption/crimson so I don't have to worry about it spreading but can still make use of it,
2) Make sure I've done/ collected most of the stuff you can do/get pre-hardmode so I don't miss any useful pre-hardmode items that are handy when starting hardmode,
3) Try and explore as much of the underground biomes as possible to ensure that I've found all the pre-hardmode loot and so I can find my way around more easily in hardmode and don't stumble across any un-familiar areas that I can't find my way out of quickly.
4) Haven't tried this yet but I'm toying with the idea of building small safe houses throughout the world that are equipped with a campfire and/or heart statue. No harm in being overly prepared.

1. Make sure I have a house for each NPC that I can get at the time, or at least a place they stay.
2. A way down to hell; whether this is a hellavator or just a well made path downward.
3. Equipment is at least shadow, and a decent blade & Chakram.
4. Have made a bridge in hell to combat it.
5. Dungeon has been completely fleshed out/explored.
6. Finished any building projects I had in mind to have; ie storage, display room, museum, and other miscellaneous things I think of.
7. Finally seeing if I have all that I want of pre-hardmode.

1-6 not in any particular order, and #7 is obviously when I would decide to take on WOF. I just play really slow due to I like building quite a bit... In multiplayer it usually depends on the other people's pace and what we would decide collectively.:)

If you're just starting hard mode, you want to go mining for the ores during the day (having a gold/platinum watch is helpful) and stay away from the jungle. Keep mining until you have what you need (about 100-125 cobalt for first trip, 125+ mythril for second, and try to get as much adamantite as possible). If you either get the messages "The ground quakes/trembles/shakes beneath you," "This is going to be a terrible night," or "The air is getting colder around you," IMMEDIATELY GO UNDERGROUND. A mechanical boss will spawn (The Destroyer, The Twins, and Skeletron Prime respectively) if you don't. After a mech boss is defeated, craft the pickaxe axe and go to the jungle to get chlorophyte.

1). Prepare a Keymold Farm
E31004AF812C9110E432F90525306305D7CB9CC4

2). If Crimson/Corruption are too close to the Jungle, dig a "corruption break" (5-block wide tunnel) all the way down to the ash layer.

3). Build Wood Platforms over half of the ocean's surface and drop a couple ropes to the ocean floor, and place a couple workbenches with water candles on them in one of the oceans (most likely the one next to the dungeon).

4). Make sure I have at least one large Underground Jungle area dug out, wood platforms placed, etc along with lots of torches and having most of the jungle mapped out, passageways widened, etc.

5). Make sure the Lihzarhd Temple has been found and the way to it is easy.

6). Make sure I have my permanent house/base built (I've been building just underground these days, I find it works well for me).

7). Make my EoC Arena bigger for the 3 mech bosses; I'll make them two "floors" high with 2-3 campfires and heart lanterns placed.

And..... that's pretty much it.

Build a arena, make a ledge to fight the WoF with, full jungle armor,Night's Edge,Mythical demon scythe,Sharanga(Mobile)
Beat him in 10 seconds on first try,but this is on mobile,which I believe the bosses only have 33% of their regular health.

Build a huge slum village in bum:red: of nowhere and keep everyone except Arms Dealer, Mechanic, Stylist and Goblin Tinkerer in there. Oh, and make Lava Waders.

That's it, arenas are only needed for gimmick runs(boomerang only, summon damage only, etc.) anyways.

Back
Top Bottom