tModLoader Thinking about Creating a Mod.

(Please read the post first) Would you consider fully playing a mod like this if it was made?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, but probably just fiddle with it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, but I'd probably watch others play it

• Beesechurger.

• Is this going to die soon? (Yes.)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justGameR413

Terrarian
I've been thinking about making a full on Thaumcraft mod for Terraria as of recently. I feel as if the current one we have, despite being respectfully limiting itself to keep from causing any sort of issue with the Thaumcraft mod itself, I want to recreate the feeling of Thaumcraft, the feeling of its magic, it's mystery, it's somewhat tedious run of the mill hassle for crafting certain things to maintain research.

Thaumcraft has been one of my favorite mods since I learned about Modded Minecraft, with the Aether topping it and MineFantasy being equal to it, but those Mods don't really seem to fit in a way that Thaumcraft kind of would with Terraria, in my opinion at least. Thinking about it for a while, due to the fact that Thaumcraft has a system of Magic that's separate from Terraria's magic system, I want to experiment and see what could come from a crossover mod such as that. I see this as a mod that can scale with progression, making better armors from what Thaumcraft has to offer, while not entirely interfering with the Boss Progression, making it perhaps easier to get through the bosses, but having to do, and gather some difficult items early on to make it possible to sweep through, and once it's used, it can be preserved for later to make better gear with, and utilize it in better ways until another armor takes its place to gatekeep until more recipes unlock, and make an ultimate armor, or sword. (Not specifically like the Auric Tesla Armor from Calamity. I don't wanna have issues with them about this, I respect them for their dedication and work, and don't want to copy off of their ideas.)

But if I'm gonna be doing something that is meant to resemble Thaumcraft... how am I going to make it happen? Well, it's simple, but not very simple at the same time. In concept, you would find crystals Underground, much like Crystal Shards, however, this would make something happen upon collecting these crystals. Perhaps needing to gather some sort of substance, a powder if you will. Saving these crystals for later, you can find that upon defeating the eye, you have an epiphany about a crafting recipe... and well. We should see what happens from there.

There's a few issues with doing this though. I have yet to learn C#, I can't sprite all that well, and I don't know how to make music. Though I've been looking online on how to make a basic sword and pickaxe for this thing, and thankfully, after some experimenting and delving into C# a little, I've learned how to make swords, and pickaxes.

Results thus far:
1591638581253.png

Thaumium Broadsword (yes that's the Calamity Texture Pack)

(Had to use Youtube video as an alternative.)
Test 1

The Thauminomicon!

The Thauminomicon is going to be the basic book.../guide towards getting anything done in this concept mod. I don't know the name yet, but I want to name it something that sounds cool. Like... Miracle Works, Thaumaturgy 2 (Like how there's Thaumcraft 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.), or Terraria: Delving into Thaumaturgy (And have it be called Thaumaria for short.) I have drawn a simple sketch for the Thauminomicon.

1591940806727.png

(Wanna add a cool lil'effect where you can right click on the book and see a pop-up that opens and sorta stops the time so they can focus on the Thauminomicon sorta thing.)

I'm probably gonna add more to this but for now.. I think I'm just gonna say that much.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about making a full on Thaumcraft mod for Terraria as of recently. I feel as if the current one we have, despite being respectfully limiting itself to keep from causing any sort of issue with the Thaumcraft mod itself, I want to recreate the feeling of Thaumcraft, the feeling of its magic, it's mystery, it's somewhat tedious run of the mill hassle for crafting certain things to maintain research.

Thaumcraft has been one of my favorite mods since I learned about Modded Minecraft, with the Aether topping it and MineFantasy being equal to it, but those Mods don't really seem to fit in a way that Thaumcraft kind of would with Terraria, in my opinion at least. Thinking about it for a while, due to the fact that Thaumcraft has a system of Magic that's separate from Terraria's magic system, I want to experiment and see what could come from a crossover mod such as that. I see this as a mod that can scale with progression, making better armors from what Thaumcraft has to offer, while not entirely interfering with the Boss Progression, making it perhaps easier to get through the bosses, but having to do, and gather some difficult items early on to make it possible to sweep through, and once it's used, it can be preserved for later to make better gear with, and utilize it in better ways until another armor takes its place to gatekeep until more recipes unlock, and make an ultimate armor, or sword. (Not specifically like the Auric Tesla Armor from Calamity. I don't wanna have issues with them about this, I respect them for their dedication and work, and don't want to copy off of their ideas.)

But if I'm gonna be doing something that is meant to resemble Thaumcraft... how am I going to make it happen? Well, it's simple, but not very simple at the same time. In concept, you would find crystals Underground, much like Crystal Shards, however, this would make something happen upon collecting these crystals. Perhaps needing to gather some sort of substance, a powder if you will. Saving these crystals for later, you can find that upon defeating the eye, you have an epiphany about a crafting recipe... and well. We should see what happens from there.

There's a few issues with doing this though. I have yet to learn C#, I can't sprite all that well, and I don't know how to make music. Though I've been looking online on how to make a basic sword and pickaxe for this thing, and thankfully, after some experimenting and delving into C# a little, I've learned how to make swords, and pickaxes.

Results thus far:
View attachment 277175
Thaumium Broadsword (yes that's the Calamity Texture Pack)

(Had to use Youtube video as an alternative.)
Test 1

The Thauminomicon!

The Thauminomicon is going to be the basic book.../guide towards getting anything done in this concept mod. I don't know the name yet, but I want to name it something that sounds cool. Like... Miracle Works, Thaumaturgy 2 (Like how there's Thaumcraft 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.), or Terraria: Delving into Thaumaturgy (And have it be called Thaumaria for short.) I have drawn a simple sketch for the Thauminomicon.

View attachment 277985
(Wanna add a cool lil'effect where you can right click on the book and see a pop-up that opens and sorta stops the time so they can focus on the Thauminomicon sorta thing.)

I'm probably gonna add more to this but for now.. I think I'm just gonna say that much.
Very big goals. I'd recommend starting out with something smaller. Practice makes perfect. Tackling something that large when you're lacking any real experience is a a recipe for disaster, trust me.

Very big goals. I'd recommend starting out with something smaller. Practice makes perfect. Tackling something that large when you're lacking any real experience is a a recipe for disaster, trust me.
Identifying a goal is the first step to making something happen. However, due to a lack of resources as well as an ultimate lack of experience is what is holding an idea such as this back. I need to find a competent team to help me with this, otherwise it would end up failing as a concept.

Identifying a goal is the first step to making something happen. However, due to a lack of resources as well as an ultimate lack of experience is what is holding an idea such as this back. I need to find a competent team to help me with this, otherwise it would end up failing as a concept.
Yes, you need goals, but you shouldn't shoot for something too high too early on. I'd recommend starting off smaller. Trust me, it helps a lot. have experience in this kind of thing.

This sounds like an amazing idea. Just don't make a commitment you can't make. I've made that mistake many times and have still yet to learn.

Back
Top Bottom