thinking about trying terraria on PC

karns1041

Terrarian
I currently play on xbox one and I'm thinking about picking up the PC version since its cheap and there seems to be so much more content on that version.

Can I run it by itself or do i need to get steam too? (i'm not much of a PC gamer if you can't tell)

I currently play on xbox one and I'm thinking about picking up the PC version since its cheap and there seems to be so much more content on that version.

Can I run it by itself or do i need to get steam too? (i'm not much of a PC gamer if you can't tell)
You can buy the game either on Steam or get it DRM free on Gog. The Gog version doesn't require Steam to be open to run.

is there a benefit to doing it through steam?
Well, kinda? The only real benefit is that it's on sale a lot (I don't know how often the gog version goes on sale). You can also play multiplayer with your friends on Steam since 1.3, though hosting a server would be as easy if you know/can learn how to port forward.
Really, it's up to you.

Well, steam bugs way so often, so if you mind discounts or easily server setting, you can skip the steam and get from gog.

Edit: Change of mind. I got forgot the thing that steam chat existed :p

Last edited:
The Steam version goes on sale often, and allows you to easily play with friends. Tons of other PC games rely on Steam, I'd recommend it.

I got it from GOG and recommend it. I can't stand DRM. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit the Steam version has some advantages, it's makes it easier to hook with others for multiplayer. You can certainly do multiplayer with GOG, but you'll have to work a little harder to set up a game.

Terraria originated on PC for a reason. It's meant to be played with a mouse, other controls schemes are basically jury rigging to attain near the same functionality. That's also why PC gets most content first. We just got new content today, wheras Console does not even have 1.3s content yet. Really I would only recommend playing console Terraria to someone who can't get PC Terraria, and if you can, get it. If you can't afford it, ask someone for it, Terraria is the best gift you can give for ten dollars.

I'm curious what you mean by this, it might be something you can change.
On console you can "see through walls" I guess is the best way to put it. Terrain in your surrounding area is revealed on your map whether or not you can see the region or not.

On console you can "see through walls" I guess is the best way to put it. Terrain in your surrounding area is revealed on your map whether or not you can see the region or not.
So the entire screen reveals on map on console, even there's dark areas? If I undertand correctly, this will simply produce a semi-automatic spelunker effect.

PC is way better in my opinion. You can do a lot to customize the way you look with accessories and dyes. And you get rideable pets got a rideable turtle on my skylake last night from a crate.

Back
Top Bottom