This is my first time playing on expert and i decided on playing on melee. was this a good choice?

TerrarianCrab

Official Terrarian
I really need help, I have beat terraria about twice now, but they were in summoner and mage. they were also on normal mode. so I decided to switch it up a bit and go into expert. I picked a class (melee) and stuck with it. I'm pre bosses because I can't kill any of them. I've tried the Eater of Worlds, the Eye of Cthulhu and even King Slime. but I've failed all of them. I currently have the : amazon yoyo, falcon blade and full platinum armour. I need help.

Some tips:

1. Mobility. Two or three rows of platforms about 60-100 long and spaced a jump apart makes Eye of Cthulhu a lot easier. A jump in a bottle helps too, and Fledgling wings most of all. Featherfall potion is another opttion. Here's a sample picture I found when searching 'Eye of Cthulhu arena', and it looks like what I use too.
maxresdefault.jpg

2. If you find a gravitation potion, or have a ton of rope, use it to get a Starfury. Starfury makes most Expert pre-hardmode bosses easy (especially Wall of Flesh, if you clear out the ceiling).
3. The jungle boomerang is way better than the amazon yoyo, try it and see. It's how I usually kill Queen Bee or Skeletron, so should work on earlier ones.
4. Use potions. You can break off a shelf from the entrance of the dungeon and put a bottle on it, and that lets you make potions. I usually use Regeneration and Ironskin, which have common ingredients.
5. If worst comes to worst, fight near the nurse and heal up.

Some tips:

1. Mobility. Two or three rows of platforms about 60-100 long and spaced a jump apart makes Eye of Cthulhu a lot easier. A jump in a bottle helps too, and Fledgling wings most of all. Featherfall potion is another opttion. Here's a sample picture I found when searching 'Eye of Cthulhu arena', and it looks like what I use too.
View attachment 298864
2. If you find a gravitation potion, or have a ton of rope, use it to get a Starfury. Starfury makes most Expert pre-hardmode bosses easy (especially Wall of Flesh, if you clear out the ceiling).
3. The jungle boomerang is way better than the amazon yoyo, try it and see. It's how I usually kill Queen Bee or Skeletron, so should work on earlier ones.
4. Use potions. You can break off a shelf from the entrance of the dungeon and put a bottle on it, and that lets you make potions. I usually use Regeneration and Ironskin, which have common ingredients.
5. If worst comes to worst, fight near the nurse and heal up.
i have the enchanted sword, terraspark boots and fledgling wings. i still however cannot beat the eye. but i haven't tried the grav potion tip. thanks man.

I'm pre bosses because I can't kill any of them. I've tried the Eater of Worlds, the Eye of Cthulhu and even King Slime. but I've failed all of them. I currently have the : amazon yoyo, falcon blade and full platinum armour. I need help.
I don't have much experience with Melee Class outside of Hardmode, but I think there are some universal tips I can share with you in 1.4.1.2 (don't worry though, if you have earlier versions, it's even easier).

Here are some mostly universal tips:
  1. The higher the difficulty in Terraria, the less important defense becomes, try buffing your damage instead.
  2. DON'T GET HIT!!
  3. If the Bosses are somehow hitting you, it might be a good idea to invest in crating Potions & using Station Buffs.
  4. Don't forget to use your Sharpening Station as a Melee Class, it helps a LOT!
  5. Killing Bosses isn't the only method of progression. You can try fishing for items or buying upgrades from NPCs.
  6. Try going to the Floating Islands & grabbing yourself a pair of Fledgling Wings (1.4.1.2)!
Also keep in mind that certain World Evils are drastically different form one another, as far as progression is concerned, for example, you can obtain Ancient Shadowscale Armor by killing enemies or breaking Corrupt Pots in some cases.

Also, with the little I do know about Melee Class in pre-Hardmode, there's a few newer Weapons I enjoy that might help out as well.
  • The Mace/ Flaming Mace Weapon, it's tricky to use but very rewarding & does a TON of damage!
  • Ball O' Hurt, it's a direct upgrade to the Mace & it's practically free! Just crack open a Shadow Orb or two!
  • Thorn Chakram, another tricky Weapon to use, but very effective in the right hands! It's a great Weapon to use at close range, for rapid attack speed, it poisons & it can be used alongside other Melee Weapons! Toss it out occasionally & switch to another Melee Weapon & keep attacking... pretty nice combo!
TL;DR: Don't forget to use your buffs! Sharpening Station is your best friend!

I don't have much experience with Melee Class outside of Hardmode, but I think there are some universal tips I can share with you in 1.4.1.2 (don't worry though, if you have earlier versions, it's even easier).

Here are some mostly universal tips:
  1. The higher the difficulty in Terraria, the less important defense becomes, try buffing your damage instead.
  2. DON'T GET HIT!!
  3. If the Bosses are somehow hitting you, it might be a good idea to invest in crating Potions & using Station Buffs.
  4. Don't forget to use your Sharpening Station as a Melee Class, it helps a LOT!
  5. Killing Bosses isn't the only method of progression. You can try fishing for items or buying upgrades from NPCs.
  6. Try going to the Floating Islands & grabbing yourself a pair of Fledgling Wings (1.4.1.2)!
Also keep in mind that certain World Evils are drastically different form one another, as far as progression is concerned, for example, you can obtain Ancient Shadowscale Armor by killing enemies or breaking Corrupt Pots in some cases.

Also, with the little I do know about Melee Class in pre-Hardmode, there's a few newer Weapons I enjoy that might help out as well.
  • The Mace/ Flaming Mace Weapon, it's tricky to use but very rewarding & does a TON of damage!
  • Ball O' Hurt, it's a direct upgrade to the Mace & it's practically free! Just crack open a Shadow Orb or two!
  • Thorn Chakram, another tricky Weapon to use, but very effective in the right hands! It's a great Weapon to use at close range, for rapid attack speed, it poisons & it can be used alongside other Melee Weapons! Toss it out occasionally & switch to another Melee Weapon & keep attacking... pretty nice combo!
TL;DR: Don't forget to use your buffs! Sharpening Station is your best friend!
Thank you so much man. I've been trying to avoid the sharpening station because i thought it was bad.

The others have already given most of the important tips, but I thought I'd chip in here since I recently did a melee playthrough.

Arena Preparation
  1. Make sure you choose a nice flat area, and make at least three rows of platforms that are long enough so that you can keep running in one direction while the eye does its super-dash attack.
  2. Place campfires, heart lanterns and sunflowers. They provide minor healing and speed buffs that are quite useful in the long run.
Weapons & Strategy
  1. Flaming Mace/Ball O' Hurt is great for keeping those Servants of Cthulhu from closing in and dish out some damage to the Eye when it gets close.
  2. If you have it, Starfury is a great (and underrated weapon imo) for dealing with the Eye in it's first phase. You'll be able to do a consistent amount of damage while keeping your distance.
  3. Use a boomerang or yoyo for the second phase, especially during it's super-dash attack. It's hard to aim properly so you'd just want to spam horizontally and let the Eye dash into the attack zone.
  4. Any buff potions will be useful (Ironskin, Endurance, Swiftness off the top of my head).
  5. You could always move in the Nurse nearby, and the dryad after defeating a boss, for quick healing and a defense boost.
Also, melee was probably the most under-powered class (pre-hardmode) in the game for me, but it offered a different playstyle than other classes that made the entire thing worth doing.

Back
Top Bottom