Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

It would be cool if we could try the game in it's unfinished state. It's surely playable in some aspects, right? A cancelled game that's never put to light in any way usually never surfaces again.

Perhaps this whole "Creative Mode" people have been buzzing about, could lead to some ideas.

A different way to play, slightly different mechanics, but still the same game.... Hmm...

Damn I was looking forward to playing this! Such sad news to see this game be cancelled. I had alot of edits ready to be used for videos on this game too!
anyways sad to see this news. Looking forward to the future though! Who knows what will the future hold? Probably some elements from this cancelled game will just make it to Terraria itself!

Alas, it has happened. I updated the wiki with more recent news as the wiki had died, such as this game has. Then today see someone say it was cancelled, laughed it off, came to forums and saw my soul die with the truth. I must say it is rather disheartening being told it is fine, and that everything will go great or be looked upon, then get slapped in the face with this. I just wish the news came sooner or you could have been more honest with us. You never said, "Hey, things aren't going so great," rather you filled us with hope. I believe this game had been troubled for a very, very, long time that is all I am trying to say. I see now why you withheld the hype but at the same time you knew it was a tough road ahead and you waited a deafeningly long time. Among the many evaluations I just wish you could have enlightened us more rather than coming out with this news almost a year later after last said evaluation. The lack of spoilers tells me that you knew the game may have been doomed, why couldn't you have been honest with us then is all. You have been straight to the point and out front and honest with many other thing but of all things I just wish it wasn't that.

I guess that leads to my biggest concern though. Three or so years of troubled development and among that time you had extra help and evaluated and even restarted the project to an extent. I don't understand how the same issue won't arise in your next project, say Terraria 2 when that comes. I want to be happy and confident when you say that these ideas and mistakes will help you learn but essentially we have been told that for years now with OW. I guess what I ask is, how will your next projects be any different development wise that will make it succeed unlike this. You have reviewed and rewritten Otherworld many times over, isn't that essentially going to be the same as starting a new project?

Don't take my rant as me being angry at all of you. I, along with many others just feel very saddened to see the fate of this game as it is now. This news also leaves us with many concerns.This was no doubt hard for all of you and a massive let down. You want the best for your fans and go to great lengths to achieve that. Also the withdrawing of game spoilers spared many of us of more grief and loss. I think the biggest feeling of loss was on your side and we all apologize and wish things could have been better. I think what I ask is for more insight into these things as you had promised. Most of all though I hope things don't take the same road as it did with OW many times over.

Last edited:
I guess that leads to my biggest concern though. Three or so years of troubled development and among that time you had extra help and evaluated and even restarted the project to an extent. I don't understand how the same issue won't arise in your next project, say Terraria 2 when that comes. I want to be happy and confident when you say that these ideas and mistakes will help you learn but essentially we have been told that for years now with OW. I guess what I ask is, how will your next projects be any different development wise that will make it succeed unlike this. You have reviewed and rewritten Otherworld many times over, isn't that essentially going to be the same as starting a new project?

You're discrediting the end of the OP where they gave a list of lessons that they said they have learned.
I believe this was their hard lesson.

As Loki stated, (on behalf of Re-Logic) this game took a lot of their time, and resources. If they say they learned a lesson from this, I believe it.

You're discrediting the end of the OP where they gave a list of lessons that they said they have learned.
I believe this was their hard lesson.

As Loki stated, (on behalf of Re-Logic) this game took a lot of their time, and resources. If they say they learned a lesson from this, I believe it.

Indeed, I see that they say that. My issue is that they have made the same promises before. Saying they have made a mistake and will fix it but never doing so. When Pipeworks joined the team they took a good look at the game and made the same mistakes as before despite the failures beforehand.

You are certainly right, they put in hard work. I applaud their care for the fans. I just greatly fear that these reassurances will only fade like the last. Think of it as the boy who cried wolf. He cries wolf so many times when their is no wolf that no one believes him when a wolf really comes around. I fear the same.

I have high hopes for the next Terraria game or project but their will always be a small amount of fear for me until we see the final projects in our hands.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear that it can't be done! I have been playing Terraria from the start and am still hoping for more content as the game is just tons of fun already (It could become so much more (in a good way (cause it is already one of the most epic games)))
Anyways what I was trying to say is, I think you have handled this in a fair and truthfull way, it is sad to see it go but this makes place for new ideas and what not. I love your content and will always keep playing terraria! :D
Thanx for being honest.

P.s. already looking forward to the next Terraria update pc wave though!!!

I hope that will at least reduce the waiting time for 1.3.6.
So if they hardly worked on otherworld until now, but now have (more) time for 1.3.6. The release will be in less than 8 months?

No, what they are saying is they shouldn't have announced anything because it was at least 3 years too early to show off.

It wasn't early. It looked awesome. My main complaint has been lack of transparency and communication. Long periods of silence.

You're better off just playing Terraria for what it is instead of looking for the next neat thing on the horizon.

But I love getting excited about games. I love Terraria and enjoy following announcements. I'm ok that they canceled it because they didn't like it. What I don't like is that we had to wait so long with no word for it to be canceled. Their fix is just to keep everything secret from now on it seems.

I actually cried when I heard about this, but this means:

-1.4 and Terraria 2 will be better
-Some of the few good ideas in TOW will be implemented hopefully
-Console and Mobile will get new updates faster.

Pessimism time.

While this news certainly sucks, i'm not surprised in the least. This game was doomed to die, and there wasn't any way to avoid it. It was a perfect storm, i'm afraid. 505 was already on a bad path before Otherworld, as their console Terraria experience didn't match up with the PC one well enough. Pipeworks put the final nail in the proverbial coffin, in that they didn't know how to manage projects, manage their time, and in general develop a game of the calibre of even Terraria vanilla, much less a completely original one.

Optimism time.

However, nothing but good can come out of this in the end. Much like Terraria itself, i expect to see this game resurface in one form or another, but being developed in-house at Re-Logic, rather than being outsourced, the very thing that killed it. If not, i hope to see a game just as amazing.

It's also nice to know that you have the integrity to cancel the game rather than drag development on for a decade, only to deliver a sub-par experience. I'd much prefer cancellation/being shelved for later over a mediocre experience with 10 years development(Final Fantasy XV, anyone?).

Here's to your future endeavours, and i thank you for putting so much effort into your content.
[doublepost=1523665091,1523665031][/doublepost]
NO!!!! CONTINUE THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME PLEASE!!!!!
Get over it, kiddo. If it was finished as it is, it would've sucked anyway. I expect it'll be resurrected later on, much like Terraria itself but if not, be glad they have other things in store for later anyway.

Even though this sounds strange, I'm actually glad that you guys said this. It definitely seemed that there were issues during the development of that game, (if you'd want to be harsh, you could use the term 'development hell', but I think this may be a different case, since you guys are so focused on delivering a game that exceeds a certain standard of quality, something which many developers could take note of, and something that I find to be very admirable!) and I'm glad to see you guys will be working on current and future projects more carefully now. 1.3.6 still looks to be great, with re-balancing, optimizations, tweaks, and more! And since pipeworks are now full steam ahead on the mobile and Switch ports, hopefully we will see console catch up to PC quicker now.

I do have a question though. Will this news affect Terraria 2, a sequel which has been mentioned many times before? Many of the ideas from T:OW were quite cool, and would have shaken up the formula of the original game, such as the deeper tower defense mechanics, and overhauled visual style. Thank you guys for coming out and writing about this. This is much better than you guys rushing out the game to meet a due date, something all too common today.

The game looked wonderful in screenshots... but to be honest, I'm not really upset. I'm just so happy to see the devs lay out how they simply don't want to make a bad product, and they don't see it being up to the standards they like. The devs behind Terraria really hold a lot of integrity, and it's something I can really respect, especially in this industry. So, good on you ReLogic. I look forward to your next PROPER and HIGH-QUALITY product that I know you're capable of making.

Sad, but at the same time this just opens the doors for more ideas for future games.
Keep up the good work.

What. Ever. So you didnt get the game out. Congrats on being the first developer that told us where they went wrong and what they learned. Terraria is a banging game. If that' all you ever do, ill be a happy customer, but the fact you took a second and let us know what you learned and how you intend to apply it tells me that you guys have infinite capabilities. I remain and will continue to be a happy customer.

That’s a disappointment news about it. I was thinking about it but I feel sad but not happy and it makes what true passionate happens at other games. I am truly exciting respectful about them but it just makes a game an true experience and ambition to what all other games or original games had. Thank you Re-Logic and other members for their hard work on their effort, I know it’s a sad motivation day for them but hey, atleast we had Console/Switch/Mobile update in their hand :D

Back
Top Bottom