Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

I think many of us are curious on whether it was the core concepts or execution that you guys lost faith in.

Execution, mostly. We do have a lot of love for the GDD (again, a huge portion of this - maybe even most of it - was never remotely shared publicly).

Won't go into details now - perhaps someday when those same ideas come to light, we can say "hey this one came from back then"...

but terraria will die soon, so rip terraria in a few years :/

Seems pretty alive and vibrant to me?

I also will never, ever understand the notion of a game that is finished development being "dead". What a really myopic definition. Every single game I played growing up - all of those amazing classics - were all "dead on arrival" by that notion. Anyway, 1.3.6 is still underway, so that isn't even really relevant today - but yes, some day, development will have to cease so that the team can actually work on new projects. -_-

You all deserve a drink or five.

I can neither confirm nor deny that this will or will not take place.

Good Day, Terrarians-

We wanted to take a few moments to share some important news with you all in regards to the status of Terraria: Otherworld.

As you all know from when we first announced the game a long while ago – and as we repeated in our subsequent posts - Re-Logic’s focus has and always will be on delivering complete and quality game experiences to our fanbase. Just to underscore it once more, this means that we will not compromise game quality for speed to market or for any other reasons within our control. Our team has a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, in spite of all of our efforts, the current state of the game remains equal parts far from that vision and beyond behind schedule from our initial planning when we shared Otherworld with all of you three years ago. Progress has absolutely been made during that time – but unfortunately, a very thorough status review of the game versus its intended design showed both the Re-Logic and 505/Pipeworks teams that things were quite a bit further away from the finish line than we had imagined. Taking the massive amount of work that would be remaining to complete along with the extensive time it would take to get that done, and how that would greatly interfere with the pursuit of other projects on behalf of Re-Logic – it becomes clear that this leaves things in a very undesirable state.

As a result, we have made the decision to terminate development of Terraria: Otherworld.

We sincerely thank both of our external development teams for their hard work on the game, but at some point, we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that Otherworld simply is never going to reach its potential in any sort of reasonable time or fashion.

We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.

index.php

So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

• In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.

• Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.

• Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.

• Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.

• This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.

index.php

Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

We are sure that you have a ton of questions, and we will answer what we can – but we will not delve into some areas out of either respect or confidence or the unknown. So we will ask your patience and forgiveness in advance there. Thanks!
This could be released as a standalone mod for Terraria in some way or the code released as a kit for students to learn coding and expanding the game. These are just suggestions but I feel that all the hard work should not have gone to waste :D

Oh well. I’m pretty bummed, but hey, it happens. It’s a shame to see all the devs hard work go to waste, but T:OW got off to a shaky start and never really recovered. R.I.P Terraria: Otherworld.

i'm going to be honest, what i saw in the promotional material for this game didn't excite me. and from what i could tell before now, you at re-logic probably weren't happy with it either, what with the constant delays and the total change of dev team. but now it's over, and i thank you for it. it'll be a shame to never see this game's potential, but maybe that is for the best.

I am deeply saddened by this, I saw such great potential in this, Alas yet another great game has been laid to the grave. Unfortunatly.
I am hoping that they'll update Terraria with some of these graphics or make a stand alone mod with the graphics as some sort of overlay. Terraria is great, but I think it needs an update, just the thing Terraria: OtherWorld could've provided.

To all of the people saying that they could just implement what they had finished for OW into Terraria, no. First of all, Terraria's engine would not be able to handle it. Engine limitations are, if I remember correctly, one of the main reasons a lot of features didn't end up in Terraria. And that's not something they can simply release a patch to fix. Unless I'm mistaken, in order to implement the things from OW that they liked into Terraria, they would likely have to rebuild the entire game from the ground up. And at that point, why not just make a new game that fixes all of Terraria's problems? In addition, I can guarantee that there are a lot of mechanics in OW that simply would not mesh naturally into Terraria. OW may have carried the Terraria name, but it was far from just being "Terraria with some extra mechanics thrown in." And this isn't even to mention conflicting artstyles.

The things that worked in OW will be re-implemented into future projects, as Loki has said countless times. Trying to shove them into Terraria would be a bad idea, and overall, simply a waste of time and energy that could be put into other projects.

Last edited:
this game was basically the whole reason i even made an account. to be blunt, i am FURIOUS. crap like this just makes me wonder what the heck was going through anyone's head with regards to OUTSOURCING what is practically a sequel (i know its not a sequel.) to a pretty frippin popular game! i cant even look forward to anything coming from here now; this is just... sad.

I think, I have to say good bye to T:OW.
This is so much painful thing for me.
But I'm still crazy about you RL.
This will never change.
So, I have a feeling, someday, I will say hello to your amazing products.
Thank you for your sincere announcement.
I wish you good luck.
From japanese fun.

Sooo.....Terraria 2 instead? :D Or really, I'd just be happy with fun new updates to Terraria. It will be a sad day when this game is "finished", it's been such a long awesome journey I never want it to end!

I must admit, I am a little upset by this.

But I'm happy to hear you're true to your words, in that you don't want to ship out a game you yourselves aren't happy with.
Thank you for trying, we know you tried your hardest.
I look forward to seeing any further updates/games down the line.
I do have one question though, does this mean a larger team for the timebeing may be dedicated on pushing out Terraria content updates?

Love you xx

As sad as this news is, there can always be a bright side to things. Resources that were used on T:OW can now go elsewhere. This means potentially more general updates for the base Terraria game, faster updates for the console/mobile scene, and possibly something brand new in the future. They did say that things they created and learned during the development could be applied elsewhere, so not all is lost.

Regardless, we have a new reason to hate Friday the 13th now. :(

Execution, mostly. We do have a lot of love for the GDD (again, a huge portion of this - maybe even most of it - was never remotely shared publicly).

Won't go into details now - perhaps someday when those same ideas come to light, we can say "hey this one came from back then"...

That's more than fair as an answer and more than I expected to get, so thanks!

I always find things weird when something gets canceled after so long, but I have never coded a whole game before.

this is incredibly unfortunate to hear about, but at the same time, i hope it will be an opportunity for your team to focus on things you are passionate about ^^

Anw, it's sad to come to this end, but I think it's worth it. It make you do error and you learn from them ! You are honnest with you're community and that amazing ! Hope to see these amazing "secret" idea you had for other project, like Terraria !

I don't normally like calling out fan boys but all the posts saying stuff like "oh it's ok you had your reasons" are letting them off way too easy.

I'm a huge Terraria fan and have sunk more hours into this game than I'd like to admit but this is big.

It's not that they canceled a project. It's that it took them 3 years of barely any communication with most of the communication trying to justify the radio silence. Now they're saying they should have had more silence.

Games live on through their fans. Part what keeps the excitement is knowing there will be more. Not this guessing game of is there something on the horizon relatively soon or will I have to wait 5 years. I do have a limit on how long i can keep interest.

I mean it will always be a great game I can come back to every now and then like classic games such as Chrono Trigger but that's it. Am i just supposed to expect that maybe one day in the future I might see a new relogic game or Terraria sequel?

The Terraria patches are cool and I greatly appreciate them but even they are just very random and news just feels way too sporadic.

Wow... to say I'm disappointed is a massive understatement, both in the news and the development teams... Nothing on a personal level of course, and I respect them and their decision and can't wait to see what the next project from both Re-Logic and 505 has to offer. But from our side of the topic, it looks a little bit like perfectionism killed this title.

Please don't be weighed down by a self placed level of expectations of a perfect game. No one is expecting perfection, as total perfection is impossible to obtain. And based on what we saw a year and beyond ago, everyone was excited by just the thought of a graphically updated Terraria with a new story, enemies, bosses, and items. Very disappointing to see this game, which had massive amounts of potential and tons of fans behind it even with the tiny amount of details we were given, die off the way it did. But I guess there's nothing to be done about it now.

Glad you all were able to learn some lessons from this though, however I will voice my concern that you guys might involve us even less than we have been. But I certainly can't wait for the 1.3.6 update for Terraria, and I can't wait to see what new games are next from you guys. All the best wishes to you all, and here's to better things in the future, straight from the tavernkeep
1uoj.gif

Back
Top Bottom