Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

I don't normally like calling out fan boys but all the posts saying stuff like "oh it's ok you had your reasons" are letting them off way too easy.

I'm a huge Terraria fan and have sunk more hours into this game than I'd like to admit but this is big.

It's not that they canceled a project. It's that it took them 3 years of barely any communication with most of the communication trying to justify the radio silence. Now they're saying they should have had more silence.

Games live on through their fans. Part what keeps the excitement is knowing there will be more. Not this guessing game of is there something on the horizon relatively soon or will I have to wait 5 years. I do have a limit on how long i can keep interest.

I mean it will always be a great game I can come back to every now and then like classic games such as Chrono Trigger but that's it. Am i just supposed to expect that maybe one day in the future I might see a new relogic game or Terraria sequel?

The Terraria patches are cool and I greatly appreciate them but even they are just very random and news just feels way too sporadic.
But... would you really prefer the notion that an announced project can go through the hype rollercoaster and come out the other side cancelled? Or would you prefer knowing that an announced project will see the light of release?

It is sad to hear of Otherworld's cancellation, but this is why I respect Re-Logic so much. "Quality over Quantity." They're not here for the quick buck, they're here for the passion and love of games. And while Otherworld was a casualty of this mindset, I think that's better than receiving an 'OK' game that starts to drag their reputation of quality down.

At least we still have 1.3.6 to look forward to. :D

Nicely said, and me and many others understand. It may suck that we won't get Otherworld, but the work you and the team do for Terraria is astonishing. Either way, keep up what you do! Anyways, have a grog and continue developing this amazing game!

nSHqR

Last edited:
But... would you really prefer the notion that an announced project can go through the hype rollercoaster and come out the other side cancelled? Or would you prefer knowing that an announced project will see the light of release?

I'd prefer communication. I also love the hype roller coaster. I can take a cancellation without getting my pitchfork ready. I've been through a few canceled games. It's not that bad.

But I love having stuff to get excited for. I'm not expecting perfection, not some masterpiece . I just want something fun to play.

It's actually a huge relief to hear this out in the open

I'm not upset or frustrated, just excited for what is next :)
Wise words from a wise Clothier.

If I'm excited about one thing in the future, it's the fact that 1.4 currently remains a mystery, so maybe the team have some secret plans to move some mechanics from Otherworld to the main game?
Highly unlikely, but it's good that Re-Logic have such a daunting project off their backs, so we can see 1.3 mobile/switch, 1.3.6 and other, more important projects soon. Certainly hope the wait for console 1.3.1 isn't delayed as much as 1.3 was!

I'm not here to spread hate, but I feel like I should speak my mind as others have done. This entire situation in my opinion was a COMPLETE mess. I notice every apology and respect all of them, but I can't take an apology alone. I need to know that nothing like this will ever happen again, and until then I will be immensely disappointed. I quite simply am running out of faith in this development team. It is the opposite of traditional as we haven't seen a new game in over 6 years. I know Re-Logic is a smaller company than most, but I feel we should be getting more. Just when I thought we were it was delayed and delayed (which I was happy to forgive if I got to see the end result) and now it has been cancelled. It is hugely disappointing to many not just me, and in order for me to regain my faith I need to see something bigger than a small Terraria update. I know I may come off as opinionated, but all that said I will throw my money at anything that comes out of this company. I think I can say this for at least some of the community and myself that I would love to see the ambition that was evident before this mishap, but I don't want this situation to repeat itself. I hope that you amazing people at Re-Logic are in fact working on Terraria 2 or some other extremely ambitious title because that is what Terraria was when in development and that is, quite frankly, what I expect out of this company. I will end my rant by saying I respect the discretion, but hope that something more is being worked on. The last thing I want to do is lower my expectations for any Re-Logic game. In the mean time, I'll being waiting, watching, and hoping for a comeback.

I didn't follow T:OW to the letter, but what I saw was great.

I like the idea of a post-apocalyptic world, where the world has been taken over by a strange evil, (be it Crimson, or Corruption.) and "fighting back the evil"." In Terraria, there isn't much punishment for helping to spread, or helping to abolish the Crimson/Corruption/Hallow, unless you can't handle the enemies there, which is easy to fix.

I also like the idea of "Proficiencies". Where, you have the ability to defeat someone, with a mere copper shortsword, where the character's skill, and by extension, to get there, the player's skill comes into play.

I also like the revision of how "traps" were to work in the game, they are turrets, and towers that fight enemies which come attack you.

The game felt like a Terrari-esque "Defend Your Territory" kind of game, but not a mindless Tower Defense Game, with like 0 immersion or skill, which is fascinating.

In addition, I loved the Graphics and Menus I saw.

I definitely hope that you, (Re-Logic, 505Games, Pipeworks.) can find a way to make some of these ideas come into "Reality" (Even though it's a Video Game. ;) ) someday, and make another awesome game!

It's disappointing, let's not deny it, but it was absolutely the right call to make. If anything, I'm extremely glad T:OW didn't actually drag you guys down with it. That happens much too often in (indie) game development, and having gone under due to a single project would have been an incredibly unfitting and undeserved end to the company that, through some outrageous travesty of justice, didn't win Labour of Love in the 2017 Steam awards.

I won't pretend to understand how this must feel, but don't let it demoralise you. It's a heavy blow, but it's a lesson better learned sooner rather than later, and in industry terms, Re-Logic still is really quite young, both in actual company age as in its development (which is mostly due to choice, but still). You guys have a bright future ahead of you, and it's good you make these mistakes - provided you learn from them, obviously - while you can still make them.

Now go out there (or alternatively, stay indoors, where there are power outlets and your PCs don't get wet) and go make some games, you crazy diamonds.

Good call.

It looked purdy but the tower defence, "fight the evil" imperative, on screen tutorial text, and some other things never felt very Terraria to me.

Don't let others touch your baby Red. You da man.

Now stop fishing and get serious about y/our next game...

:redspin:

oh... i seee
But can we have any chance to get Terraria OtherWolrd ?
Like to see how I was playing if it was done?
(never give up, you'e game is awesome!)

It's sad that this will come into an end but..

Are there chances you will add some of the concspts in the original Terraria ? That would be great. :)

i left a comment that showed my displeasure. and you guys deleted it. yeah, im never buying a damn thing from this company ever again, you guys are no longer trustworthy.

It's not that they canceled a project. It's that it took them 3 years of barely any communication with most of the communication trying to justify the radio silence. Now they're saying they should have had more silence.
No, what they are saying is they shouldn't have announced anything because it was at least 3 years too early to show off.

Games live on through their fans. Part what keeps the excitement is knowing there will be more. Not this guessing game of is there something on the horizon relatively soon or will I have to wait 5 years. I do have a limit on how long i can keep interest.
Welcome to games development. Games take a long time, and :red: goes bad sometimes. There are tons of great game ideas you've never heard of because the game was canceled before it ever saw the light of day. Pretty sure at the pace games are released now you'll have plenty to stay busy with until ReLogic has another game to announce.

I mean it will always be a great game I can come back to every now and then like classic games such as Chrono Trigger but that's it. Am i just supposed to expect that maybe one day in the future I might see a new relogic game or Terraria sequel?
Yeah, pretty much.

The Terraria patches are cool and I greatly appreciate them but even they are just very random and news just feels way too sporadic.
Not much they can do about that except hire more people, which comes with other problems. You're better off just playing Terraria for what it is instead of looking for the next neat thing on the horizon.

i left a comment that showed my displeasure. and you guys deleted it. yeah, im never buying a damn thing from this company ever again, you guys are no longer trustworthy.
Any chance you had some choice things to say about the developers? Personal attacks aren't allowed on the forums. Maybe reword the post to leave out the targeted anger.

I was definitely looking forward to Otherworld, but I guess cancelling it was for the better, now that Pipeworks can put more effort into console and mobile, and those ideas can be implemented much more quickly into a game that is already here rather than an upcoming title. I feel you have done the right thing Re-Logic. We all make mistakes, even the best of us.

Back
Top Bottom