Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

Terraria 1.3.0 was released 3 years ago, almost all recent updates are not significant at all to the game. Only thing worth mentioning inbetween all this is the Tower Defense mode and the Desert update. Rest of it its either hotfixes,UI changes and stuff like that. Even the next update promises Creative, like if we didn't have that already with mods. Yes it will be cool , but that will be it. nothing more nothing less
Yeah, the desert update was fun!
But the tower defense? i personally hated it! All that hype with that GIF on twitter, i crossed my fingers everytime i saw it on twitter... smdh
Can't say that i was hoping for T:OW to get cancelled, but i can admit that i'm relieved...

Now that I have concrete evidence of this games' status, I wanted to share my thoughts on the reaction to both the development and end of development of Terraria: Otherworld. Long ago at it's debut, I was enthusiastic about a new Terraria title, be it a spin-off or a sequel, it didn't matter which. Today, I am still enthusiastic even though the game is no longer to be completed. The reason for this is that I was biding my time while the development was still in the works and I paid as little attention to it as possible. As a person who has poured nearly 2000 hours in Terraria itself, I have a well invested interest in what Re-Logic plans to release, especially baring the title of Terraria.

Whether you are angry, relieved or just plain saddened that Terraria: Otherworld development is cancelled, you are all entitled to those feelings. I just want to say that if you spent countless hours waiting for news on the development and it wore you out, take into consideration your involvement in the situation at hand and distract yourself with whatever else in the world you can. I wanted Terraria: Otherworld to make it out on Steam and have fun with it as much as you all did, but there comes a time where an obsession just eats away at your patience.

The lack of news about anything spoiler related may have effected a lot of you who were dedicated to seeking them and the by product of that being disappointment in the absence of knowledge that the development was in the works and proceeding to completion at some rate. This is the pitfall of constant attention and dedication to something that you have no control over and believe me, I know it can suck. Something I want to say is, while it is amazing that this community can support a developing game so much is by no means a bad thing at all, but it has it's drawbacks if you're too invested. I mean this in the nicest of ways possible, and keep in mind that I am not advocating for either side, but as much as there is blame you may have placed on developers for not posting news or spoilers about Terraria: Otherworld until this very moment, it is as much your fault for giving it as much attention as you did for it to bother you so much. On the reverse side of that I am glad that many of you have swallowed the bitter pill that this situation represented and accepted the fate of this game and are looking forward to something new and putting this all behind you.

Now for me to restate what I said earlier about my very minor, almost non-existent reaction to the news of Terraria: Otherworld being cancelled. I just didn't set any expectations for the time frame of release, nor paying mind to anything related to it in terms of spoilers or news and it helped me stay completely prepared for when a moment such as this to occur, as well as having let it take it's course to releasing whenever it was going to be complete and paid it no mind until then if it were to happen.

What I've said about the matter may leave you with the impression that I am not nearly as much of a fan of Terraria as the next person, but that is simply not at all true and I had hopes that the development would have been a success and I'd enjoy another Terraria for thousands of hours at some point in my life, but it didn't happen. For now, I'll do the same as I always have done and sit idle until Re-Logic brings forth another game in development that will spur my interest and I will patiently await for what I have no doubt will be a well cared for game to be developed by the team we all know and love for which we are all here together for in the first place.

Last edited:
To those saying the devs have been lying, should have said there were problems, etc., no. Just, no. No game studio is going to say, about a game in progress, “Yeah, this is totally falling apart”. At best, devs will say there are challenges. But they must remain positive in public lest word of mouth and the rumor mill damage perception of their game before it’s even out.

And I’m willing to bet the axe fell very recently. Like a day or two ago. And right up until those in charge pull a plug, those working on a game expect to finish it no matter how bad things seem to be going at the time.

So any statements three months ago, or even a week ago, were what they thought at the time. At worst they are overly optimistic. Not lies.

I respect the decision to cancel a game you feel would not live up to the potential and REALLY respect the fact you didnt use it as opportunity to just throw it out there for a quick buck, but PLEASE let me get an update for Terraria soon;( ive been waiting for just more Terraria new game or not.

Who knows, maybe when they are done with terraria and start and finish terraria 2, they might revisit T:OW or atleast release it to the public as a "what could've been",
you never know.

While it is sad that this decision had to be made, I understand, accept, and respect your decision. On the flip side, I wonder what's in store for plain ol' Terraria.

Honestly, I feel bad for saying this but,
I expected this, not because Re-Logic is bad, but because the game just didn't seem like it would end up a success based on what we've been shown.
Excited for whatever you have cooking now though ~<3

Oh dear... the game's design was beautiful looking at gameplay videos and pictures. It was never released, but I don't think we'll ever forget it. I know I certainly won't - and I do hold out some hope wondering if there's that small chance you will revisit it someday. As they say, time heals all wounds. Thank you Re-Logic for everything you have done and I am excited for the future... but for now I think I'll mourn. Rest In peace :(

I'm new enough to Terraria that I honestly didn't know much about T:OW. I'd heard about it in passing but that was pretty much it. While it sucks to have to cancel a game, it's understandable if it wasn't going the way your vision wanted it to go.

I do, though, have to wonder if the music will be released or integrated into the current game? I looked it up on YouTube to see what all the fuss was about and it sounds really, really nice.

Either way, keep up the good work. My characters will raise a glass for you when we finally get the Tavernkeep.

That a sad news;(.
I knew this in my work, year of effort shut-down for different reason, not good for the mood.
I just can tell that you have my sympathy to pass this difficult time and I all wish you the best.

See you soon with your next project :dryadsmile:

Well, as much as I'm kind of disappointed by the turn of events, I'm also proud of you. It takes a lot of courage to go ahead and admit something like this. Re-Logic gets my kudos for being candid and caring about their vision/appeal to fans, which distinguishes it positively from most other game developers, who would rather avoid the subject or still release the game in unwanted state for cash. I'm looking forward to some other creations from you though!

Last edited:
This is sad but in the other side , there's updates which is really cool (well...for the MOST part.)

After some hours in Terraria , I'm hyped for what developers gave to us.

I know you did your best of developing Otherworld , it's not wasted. You did what you can.

Let's hope 1.3.6 doesn't get cancelled. c: :p

I was disappointed when Terraria: Otherworld was announced. I was expecting a real sequel to Terraria. I'm even more disappointed now because I won't get any of these.

You know what you have to do now: Terraria 2, and it has to be GREAT.

Come on man... I was really excited about this project... I heard Terraria is written in C#. Any chance I could maybe help you guys out revive this project?

I was disappointed when Terraria: Otherworld was announced. I was expecting a real sequel to Terraria. I'm even more disappointed now because I won't get any of these.

You know what you have to do now: Terraria 2, and it has to be GREAT.

Heh. all they need to do is terraria's engine - new set of bosses from the beginning - and it'd be great

I am very sad to hear this news.At the very least I expect a very big 1.4 update for Terraria now from you Re-Logic! I hope you can use a lot of your ideas for Otherworld in future Terraria updates or maybe Terraria 2 if that ever becomes a thing.

Back
Top Bottom