Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

This is sad, I was looking forward to this game but I can completely understand cancelling a game that you aren't completely satisfied with.

You could maybe try using some of the item ideas and such from Otherworld in a future Terraria update, possibly.

Good Day, Terrarians-

We wanted to take a few moments to share some important news with you all in regards to the status of Terraria: Otherworld.

As you all know from when we first announced the game a long while ago – and as we repeated in our subsequent posts - Re-Logic’s focus has and always will be on delivering complete and quality game experiences to our fanbase. Just to underscore it once more, this means that we will not compromise game quality for speed to market or for any other reasons within our control. Our team has a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, in spite of all of our efforts, the current state of the game remains equal parts far from that vision and beyond behind schedule from our initial planning when we shared Otherworld with all of you three years ago. Progress has absolutely been made during that time – but unfortunately, a very thorough status review of the game versus its intended design showed both the Re-Logic and 505/Pipeworks teams that things were quite a bit further away from the finish line than we had imagined. Taking the massive amount of work that would be remaining to complete along with the extensive time it would take to get that done, and how that would greatly interfere with the pursuit of other projects on behalf of Re-Logic – it becomes clear that this leaves things in a very undesirable state.

As a result, we have made the decision to terminate development of Terraria: Otherworld.

We sincerely thank both of our external development teams for their hard work on the game, but at some point, we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that Otherworld simply is never going to reach its potential in any sort of reasonable time or fashion.

We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.

index.php

So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

• In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.

• Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.

• Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.

• Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.

• This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.

index.php

Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

We are sure that you have a ton of questions, and we will answer what we can – but we will not delve into some areas out of either respect or confidence or the unknown. So we will ask your patience and forgiveness in advance there. Thanks!

Wow, wasn't expecting that today. It must have been hard, to give up on a project that took you and the external company years on end to create, but I understand why you did.

On an unrelated note, there are plans for Switch?! =D

Good Day, Terrarians-

We wanted to take a few moments to share some important news with you all in regards to the status of Terraria: Otherworld.

As you all know from when we first announced the game a long while ago – and as we repeated in our subsequent posts - Re-Logic’s focus has and always will be on delivering complete and quality game experiences to our fanbase. Just to underscore it once more, this means that we will not compromise game quality for speed to market or for any other reasons within our control. Our team has a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, in spite of all of our efforts, the current state of the game remains equal parts far from that vision and beyond behind schedule from our initial planning when we shared Otherworld with all of you three years ago. Progress has absolutely been made during that time – but unfortunately, a very thorough status review of the game versus its intended design showed both the Re-Logic and 505/Pipeworks teams that things were quite a bit further away from the finish line than we had imagined. Taking the massive amount of work that would be remaining to complete along with the extensive time it would take to get that done, and how that would greatly interfere with the pursuit of other projects on behalf of Re-Logic – it becomes clear that this leaves things in a very undesirable state.

As a result, we have made the decision to terminate development of Terraria: Otherworld.

We sincerely thank both of our external development teams for their hard work on the game, but at some point, we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that Otherworld simply is never going to reach its potential in any sort of reasonable time or fashion.

We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.

index.php

So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

• In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.

• Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.

• Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.

• Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.

• This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.

index.php

Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

We are sure that you have a ton of questions, and we will answer what we can – but we will not delve into some areas out of either respect or confidence or the unknown. So we will ask your patience and forgiveness in advance there. Thanks!

What a cop out so basically other project's are taking priority such a shame terraria will always be a true legend in games and just the thought of another terraria game is truely mindblowing

Have you canceled the project forever or just froze it?

(Sorry for the bad english. This is Google translator)

Have you canceled the project forever or just froze it?

(Sorry for the bad english. This is Google translator)

Unfortunately the project has been completely cancelled. It is not being put On-Hold, or on a hiatus for them to focus on other projects, it is done for good.

Some ideas/concepts could be used in future Re-Logic titles, but Terraria Otherworld itself will never see a full release.

WE WAITED 3 YEARS! 3, CARL. And you're here, "I'm sorry, but it's not enough." Release a trial version of what was done, and we say bad or good, from this go.

I really like the idea of Otherworld because of its refreshing new artstyle in addition to its mission of defeating evil, although i am quite concerned that the sandbox and pacing of the original Terraria may not be the same for this particular game. But i don't mind anyway.

As much as I'd like to see a more "modern" (had to quote because you know how this word appears too much in our current "modern" day), I am quite fine with the standard Terraria's experience. But surely, I hope, the original game could borrow the idea of defeating evil like in Otherworld and possibly reward the player for having the efforts to cleanse his/her world from corrupt/crimson.

This is because i always reminisce how determined i was when Terraria was 1.1, to contain the middle section of the map from both hallow and corrupt (using solely ash block 5 blocks thick!) and try to purify as much as i could reach (imagine the difficulties without clentaminator). It was too much of a burden and i eventually gave up. 1.2 dropped along with the clentaminator sparked my commitment to again purify my world. I managed to get 98% of purity but it didn't feel rewarding at all.

In essence, i would totally vouch for the idea of defeating the evil in the original Terraria experience.

And that's a minority opinion. Feel free to skip or mock

:dryadcry:Breaks-my-heart:dryadcry:

The Terraria team has given me MANY years of fun because of their great support.
I do know that if you release a Terraria 2 I would buy it early. Even if it is incomplete, I know I can expect many free updates to it like Terraria 1.

k relogic, its a little late for april fools jokes!!

well this just means the concepts can be either used for future updates to terraria or a new title. so no worries!

Sad news indeed, I had been really looking forward to this title. All in all, though, I am much happier with an honest drop of the title than a release of a title that failed to meet the hype, so I am eager to see if any of those features make their way into Terraria

I attempted suicide over this, I know it sounds a little over dramatic but I have Autism Spectrum Disorder which amplifies everything I feel.
I'm very glad your okay my friend. Remember, Otherworld being cancelled doesn't mean the end of Re-Logic, and Terraria 2 is still probably going to come out in the future!

While I wouldn't have anything against a Terraria 2, I'm kinda-sorta wondering if we need a Terraria 2...

Terraria is an expandable game; you can add any kind of content you could possibly dream of (and indeed, modders have been doing that for ages now). They said in the past that the Moon Lord was the "final" boss, but you know... that's just them Saying so. Nothing stopping them from changing their mind and going further with the game.

A part of me wonders if we're better off just focusing on Terraria and just keep expanding/updating that, rather than trying to make a whole 'nuther game from scratch that is basically just like the first, but with new stuff added.... why not put the new stuff into the first game?

The only reason I could think of to do such a thing, would be to get a Terraria with an overhauled engine, maybe though I would hope that if we did do a Terraria 2... that they would make it mod-able from the start; the lack of official mod support is one of the very few flaws of Terraria that I can think of (IMO).

That, or instead of doing Terraria 2... they could instead devote resources into updating the game engine to add in modding support and perhaps more stuff that can be done with it?

I dunno. It's just that I fear that making a whole game from scratch is going to...

A). Cause them to cease development on the original Terraria so that they don't have to outsource (which is what caused this whole mess in the first place),
B). Take a long long LONG time, 3+ years likely,
C). End up feeling "samey" compared to the original Terraria,
-or-
D). Be different enough that Terraria fans might not like it as much. (One of the reasons why Otherworld wasn't liked by some)

While I wouldn't have anything against a Terraria 2, I'm kinda-sorta wondering if we need a Terraria 2...

Terraria is an expandable game; you can add any kind of content you could possibly dream of (and indeed, modders have been doing that for ages now). They said in the past that the Moon Lord was the "final" boss, but you know... that's just them Saying so. Nothing stopping them from changing their mind and going further with the game.

A part of me wonders if we're better off just focusing on Terraria and just keep expanding/updating that, rather than trying to make a whole 'nuther game from scratch that is basically just like the first, but with new stuff added.... why not put the new stuff into the first game?

The only reason I could think of to do such a thing, would be to get a Terraria with an overhauled engine, maybe though I would hope that if we did do a Terraria 2... that they would make it mod-able from the start; the lack of official mod support is one of the very few flaws of Terraria that I can think of (IMO).

That, or instead of doing Terraria 2... they could instead devote resources into updating the game engine to add in modding support and perhaps more stuff that can be done with it?

I dunno. It's just that I fear that making a whole game from scratch is going to...

A). Cause them to cease development on the original Terraria so that they don't have to outsource (which is what caused this whole mess in the first place),
B). Take a long long LONG time, 3+ years likely,
C). End up feeling "samey" compared to the original Terraria,
-or-
D). Be different enough that Terraria fans might not like it as much. (One of the reasons why Otherworld wasn't liked by some)

I feel like all they would need to make a Terraria 2 work is...

- Similar gameplay but with some changes that benefit the game in general
- Infinite Worlds (However Red spoke of this when Terraria 2 was first mentioned)
- Obviously new content (although this doesn't mean they can't bring back stuff from 1 aswell) New bosses, biomes, etc.
- The same art style but more animated and detailed (not to the extent of Otherworld but still better than the og)
- Updated engine so there are no limitations of what can be added.

I feel like things like these would go a long way to make a sequel work.

@Derpinator-9000 While I agree with you on those points, the problem is, is that such an engine might be a bit difficult to code and it would be a long and lengthy process, especially for a small (but very talented!) team of indie developers.

I'm kind of concerned about them setting their sights too high on unreachable goals and in the end we end up with nothing because they ran out of resources or something because they tried to do something too big that they couldn't handle.

I don't say this with any lack of faith or respect; on the contrary, I think Re-Logic has done very well... but what they did very well with, was a small project like the original Terraria that they continued to build upon until it is the great game that everybody knows and loves to this day.

That's how Re-Logic got famous in the first place. They didn't get famous by producing a Triple-A game fresh from the presses. The original Terraria was a very small game (compared to current version) with many limitations.

This is why I'm kinda wondering if they shouldn't attempt to simply update Terraria and add in engine changes here-and-there to expand it.

And infinite worlds? You mean infinite size worlds? Not even Starbound can do that. I would rather we have a system where we can switch worlds, IE, like a planestravel type thing. The kind of thing that Super Terraria World has managed to somehow do. The ability to travel between worlds, and/or maybe even make it a part of the experience where you can enter ruins and buildings, and such. Like instead of the dungeon being on the same linear map, just have the entranceway and you stand in front of the door and press "UP" and it warps you to another map where you have a MUCH larger and more intricate dungeon than the one we got now.

Doing something like that would let them add a LOT of dungeons using the same engine, and could be used to grow the world much larger than it is. Yanno, kinda like STW did/does.

Let's just hope re-logic doesn't waste all of this. Music, scripts, code, and gameplay concepts, those should all be salvaged and used for Terraria itself in some way. That, or a possible release of the canceled (and likely very buggy) Otherworld.

I didn't really think I'd say anything, but in the end, I will.

This is a really sad news for me. I was excited as never. The game was really promising. In a way, I feel like I was the only person that was THAT excited about T:OW that I'd check every news source every few hours. I wouldn't let even the smallest pixel related to the game get out of my sight. Once I saw this post, I didn't really want to play Terraria or any other game. I just was too upset.

But hey, at the very least, I can hope that some of the possible content will be added to the original. Some of those were really promising.

I just hope & pray that your next project won't suffer from same fate as T:OW.

Back
Top Bottom