Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

No, they are Not releasing a playable demo (or at least it would surprise the crap out of me if they did and I'd have to disagree with doing such, despite the fact it'd be fun to mess around with).

What's the point in doing that? They decided that Otherworld does not live up to their standards/visions/etc... and they cancelled the project entirely. Why release a demo of a project that will never be completed, a project they don't feel was good enough for the Re-Logic brand?

It is probably riddled with bugs and incomplete assets, entire parts of the game missing, etc.

If they did release the demo and there are bugs then you'd be "why can't you guys just fix the bugs and then release this?" and then "why not just complete it?"

It just wouldn't work. I think they made the right decision, even if it is sad that Otherworld will never get to see completion.

Yes, it's sad.
I will probably gonna sound ungrateful and all, but here it goes:
At this point I don't really care about what "it" is, I just want something!
Terraria: Otherworld, Terraria 2, Terraria v1.3.6 and further updates... Just give me something!
For a long time it was just news, promises, console versions and merchandise, merchandise, merchandise, sadly...

I'll be honest but Re-Logic has proven it over and over again that indeed they're terrible at this kind of business. Terraria was succesful and only because of that they're still being liked. The updates take way too long and the content they add is small, almost close to none. They make promises that they can't keep. Where's Terraria 2? They told about that like years ago that Redigit would start working on it. But later they said oh he still hasn't. I bet until this day Terraria 2 is on hold and has not even been started. This news is like the cherry on the cake! Honestly really disappointed. Please disappoint me more with 1.3.6

Last edited:
I hope that the backstory of the NPCs gets added to Terraria someday, that sounded really cool.

For instance: Why does the Guide and Clothier have a Voodoo Doll? Why does the Arms Dealer know about the Guide's doll? Does he know how they work? Cause he says he wants to shoot it, which would kill the guide.

Where did the Dryad come from?
Why does the Dryad have a facination with The Hallow? That's not "Purity".

To what world(s) is the Travelling Merchant going to for his wares?

Why does the "Old Man" have a Master?
How did the Crimson/Corruption/Hallow happen?

Why does the Wall Of Flesh affect the Crimson/Hallow/Corruption?

I feel like some of these unanswered questions keep the game "2D" instead of "3D". Not graphics-wise, but reality-wise.

In the end, you're still playing Minecraft, a "3D" Video Game, on a screen, 2D. When I say "3D" in the previous paragraph, I mean immersion.

Yes, Immersion; The Game making you feel that you are a part of this world, that it's so real you can put yourself into it. The story of how the world of Terraria came to be, and the true personalities of the NPCs can help create this Immersion, and make the game more "3D" regardless of what it's graphics are like.

Last edited:
@Derpinator-9000 While I agree with you on those points, the problem is, is that such an engine might be a bit difficult to code and it would be a long and lengthy process, especially for a small (but very talented!) team of indie developers.

I'm kind of concerned about them setting their sights too high on unreachable goals and in the end we end up with nothing because they ran out of resources or something because they tried to do something too big that they couldn't handle.

I don't say this with any lack of faith or respect; on the contrary, I think Re-Logic has done very well... but what they did very well with, was a small project like the original Terraria that they continued to build upon until it is the great game that everybody knows and loves to this day.

That's how Re-Logic got famous in the first place. They didn't get famous by producing a Triple-A game fresh from the presses. The original Terraria was a very small game (compared to current version) with many limitations.

This is why I'm kinda wondering if they shouldn't attempt to simply update Terraria and add in engine changes here-and-there to expand it.

And infinite worlds? You mean infinite size worlds? Not even Starbound can do that. I would rather we have a system where we can switch worlds, IE, like a planestravel type thing. The kind of thing that Super Terraria World has managed to somehow do. The ability to travel between worlds, and/or maybe even make it a part of the experience where you can enter ruins and buildings, and such. Like instead of the dungeon being on the same linear map, just have the entranceway and you stand in front of the door and press "UP" and it warps you to another map where you have a MUCH larger and more intricate dungeon than the one we got now.

Doing something like that would let them add a LOT of dungeons using the same engine, and could be used to grow the world much larger than it is. Yanno, kinda like STW did/does.

Honestly, I kind of think that Terraria itself is becoming a little too bloated with "filler" content. For them to continuously add mechanics to the originally game is fine, but there's only so much you can do before the game itself starts to get repetitive. We've all beaten the Eye of Cthulu, Wall of Flesh and mecha bosses time and time again to reach the same line of progression. Even if you do it differently the next time, it still essentially becomes the same thing over and over again. Heck, I've been relatively stagnant in the mid-2000s for hours played since 1.3.1. A new Terraria game (in this case, Terraria 2) will give something fresh, while still retaining some of the core elements that made the original game great, and will add mechanics that at this point, may just not really belong in original Terraria. Not to mention, there are probably some ideas that will require yet another rewrite of much of the code. What's the point in the devs and Pipeworks having to do all of that again, especially when you mention making small engine changes here and there that may very well just equate to a whole new engine at the end of things? At that point, they may as well have made a whole other game, especially if many of those changes deviate from what Terraria is today. And on a side note, the game's system requirements may have increased again by that point. Suddenly, players have to buy new hardware just to play Terraria, even if they don't really play much in the area of other titles that otherwise doesn't merit purchasing new hardware.

All in all, there are too many variables that merit, and some that may even dis-merit the need for a whole new game. But I believe that there are probably more pros to be had in developing a new title in the future. Otherwise, Re-Logic essentially remains stagnant. It's already been nearly 7 years since its release, and while the devs have done much to keep it fresh, you can only do so much for the game before the players start to crave something else. Re-Logic has sold over 20 million copies of the game, and they're making some income off merchandise, as well. I imagine that when they feel they are ready, they will be more than capable of putting resources into a new title, especially if they keep development in-house, rather than repeating the mistake of outsourcing it.

Last edited:
What about Terraria 2? Is that scrapped too? We have heard more about Otherworld then Terraria 2! So I guess Terraria 2 will never happen either then?

Please do not delete the Otherworld files and what exist of the game. :)
Maybe you could pick it up in a distance future when things maybe look different?

Still... what about Terraria 2?

Calm down. Terraria 2 development, as far as we know, hasn't even gotten off the ground yet. The main reason Otherworld was cancelled is that development was in a state that it would take far more time and resources than desired to fix it. I doubt they'll want to just cancel all future projects because of of this scenario.

@Kiddles : I didn't quote because that's a lot of text, but...

I can kinda see what you're saying on one hand, but yet on the other hand, I feel that there could be more side-paths to the progression. Yes, you mention the EoC and how we've all killed the EoC hundreds of times.... but does EoC have to be the only boss? I remember when the EoW was the only boss.... until BoC came along. I remember how we all were amazed when 1.2x came about and brought the Crimson, and the alternate ores along with it. It was awesome. It added variety to a game that was sorely needing it back then.

The suggestions I suggested above, I don't think would change the game to where it would no longer feel like Terraria (the map suggestion I mean), but yet it would open doors for countless expandability options (especially for modders). Modding is what is keeping Terraria alive; if tModLoader hadn't come around when it did, I would hazard a guess that Terraria would be nearly dead by now. I don't see videos on Youtube of anybody playing Vanilla anymore; it's always one of the most popular "big content mods" like Calamity, Thorium, and similar mods.

What do these mods do? They add more bosses, more armor, more biomes, more crafting materials. Do all of these exist after Moon Lord? No, in fact, very few of them do from what I've seen. Most of these mods (I know Tremor, Calamity and Thorium were this way) add several paths of progression through Pre-Hardmode and even early Hardmode. Some of these mods do indeed add Post Moon Lord content, absolutely.

And these mods, are what is keeping Terraria alive, so what does that teach us?

To make Terraria fresh enough for people to play it, you simply add more content. It worked for those mods, why would it not work for Vanilla Terraria?

Yeah, sure, I think killing the EoC for the 5 millionth time is boring. Killing WoF yet again is boring. But you know... what if there was an alternate progression? What if there was another boss that wasn't WoF?

I remember Isabella's Biome ideas that she posted, and one of hers was the River of Styx or what-not as an underworld replacement. Instead of Lava, it was more soul-themed with blues and greens instead of everything being red and orange. Instead of WoF, you would have fought a giant ghost ship with a huge skeleton attached to it, and ghosts everywhere, etc. That'd be awesome. Just like the Brain of Cthulhu was awesome when it was an alternative to the WoF and the Corruption.

But then, after 3-4 Crimson playthroughs, I was like "Let's do a Corruption this time..." and it felt good to go back to old familiar roots after seeing the new several times.

Though, one teensy mistake Re-Logic did, was they made the Crimson stuff outright superior in every way to the Corruption and vice-versa for Tungsten vs Silver, Platinum vs Gold. Not sure why they did that... they could have made, for example, the Blood Butcherer do slightly less damage per hit but swing slightly faster than the Light's Bane. Or maybe Platinum Armor has 2 more Defense than Gold Armor, but yet Gold would have some other perk, maybe it sparkles in lower light conditions to help you see your surroundings faintly. Who knows. Something.

But I still feel that map suggestion of mine that allows us to do what STW does, would open up a ridiculous number of possibilities for modders. STW itself is a pretty good showcase of what is possible with that kind of system, if it were made part of vanilla Terraria natively. And I could only imagine what a builder-minded person could do if he were capable of making maps like that within the game.

It'd still be Terraria, but with a huge new side-game open that you could choose to play with when you wanted more things to do. More dungeons spawning at worldgen, maybe underground houses that are more than 10x10 blocks, maybe instead of a simple round room hornet nest, we could have a small mini-map of a complex maze of hornets. Maybe the underground desert would look more like an ant colony with mazes of tunnels. Who knows.

But the core gameplay would still be Terraria, as it's always been.

EDIT: And I'm not saying we shouldn't do a Terraria 2 at all, I just still feel that there's room in the original to expand some more. Hopefully some of this stuff is done/explored in 1.3.6 or later...

@Xylia

Okay, I think I better understand where you're coming from now. If there were different ways to progress, that would certainly be a welcome change. I took a look at the River Styx idea you had mentioned, and I rather like the idea, especially for the sake of mythology. And maybe some different play modes would help spin things around quite a bit. I do certainly agree that Terraria still has potential for expansion as well, but as I mentioned before, a lot of the content has essentially started to feel like filler content. I guess, however, that's just my perspective, and for many others, some of it is still ultimately neat. Thankfully, a lot of the gameplay content that has been introduced is still very enjoyable, so I certainly don't doubt that they will be able to create that content while keeping true to the game for what it is, and what their vision is for it. As for Corruption, I actually play mage quite often, so I usually go for a Corrupton world for the Cuffs. Silly that I don't go Crimson instead for Golden Shower, though. And Jopojelly's TerraCustom is always a good way to remedy the issues in terms of choice on that end.

Honestly, I've never really followed too many mods, and in fact only really use quality-of-life stuff over anything, simply because I feel like the content is pretty meaty as it is. Plus, I usually do multiplayer with my niece whenever I play, and we live quite a distance apart, so i don't want to complicate things for her. However, I can see why people use many of the mods - new mechanics, new bosses and challenges, or maybe some weapon or accessory they've always wanted to see ingame. In fact, I trust that the modding community will keep the game interesting for most people for years to come.

As for Terraria 2, I certainly don't feel a need to rush it, but I do believe a 10-year span between core game releases is optimal for the kind of game Terraria is, so development at least ought to start soon. That said, I feel like 1.4 and its subsequent, smaller patches will probably make the original game feel as complete as it could be, with modders left to keep the game alive and fill in any holes. In fact, I wonder if part of the reason Re-Logic didn't want to spend more time with Otherworld is because they want to get started on T2 development in earnest.

Ultimately though, it comes down to what the devs feel is appropriate. They've done well to keep the game interesting for this long, so who knows? In the end, I will still trust their judgement in regards to how they want to proceed with the franchise.

Good Day, Terrarians-

We wanted to take a few moments to share some important news with you all in regards to the status of Terraria: Otherworld.

As you all know from when we first announced the game a long while ago – and as we repeated in our subsequent posts - Re-Logic’s focus has and always will be on delivering complete and quality game experiences to our fanbase. Just to underscore it once more, this means that we will not compromise game quality for speed to market or for any other reasons within our control. Our team has a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, in spite of all of our efforts, the current state of the game remains equal parts far from that vision and beyond behind schedule from our initial planning when we shared Otherworld with all of you three years ago. Progress has absolutely been made during that time – but unfortunately, a very thorough status review of the game versus its intended design showed both the Re-Logic and 505/Pipeworks teams that things were quite a bit further away from the finish line than we had imagined. Taking the massive amount of work that would be remaining to complete along with the extensive time it would take to get that done, and how that would greatly interfere with the pursuit of other projects on behalf of Re-Logic – it becomes clear that this leaves things in a very undesirable state.

As a result, we have made the decision to terminate development of Terraria: Otherworld.

We sincerely thank both of our external development teams for their hard work on the game, but at some point, we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that Otherworld simply is never going to reach its potential in any sort of reasonable time or fashion.

We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.

index.php

So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

• In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.

• Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.

• Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.

• Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.

• This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.

index.php

Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

We are sure that you have a ton of questions, and we will answer what we can – but we will not delve into some areas out of either respect or confidence or the unknown. So we will ask your patience and forgiveness in advance there. Thanks!
Disappointed, but happy at the same time. More updates will hopefully come out because of this cancellation. Including Terraria Mobile 1.3.

Sad news for sure but very exciting to hear that elements from the game will be used in future titles. I for one was really looking forward to playing around with the biome structure from what I saw in screen shots. Well keep up the good work! Im super excited and can't wait to play 1.3 on mobile.

I understand you guys had to do what you must, but if you really poured that much time and effort into T:OW, why scrap it? At least continue to work on it at your own pace and take as much time as you need, then release the full game. This is just what I'd do.

There are things we don't know. I'm going to guess that there may have been serious issues with it, such as lack of funds, or at the current rate, it'll take several years, or something of the sort.

For a dead game

It's obviously not dead if people are here and wanting more Terraria. Instead of being pessimistic about things, you could join the modding community and support the game. You've a penchant for coming up with good looking biome ideas, so why not make the game and its community a better place instead of making memes and talking about how the game is "dead"?

It wasn't early. It looked awesome. My main complaint has been lack of transparency and communication. Long periods of silence.
The problem, as this thread can attest to, is that the look we got was about all there was to it. Some awesome ideas, but nothing of substance worth making a game out of. This happens constantly in the games development field, normally we just never hear of the project.

Back
Top Bottom