Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

Did you really hacmve to be so rude?
Absolutely!

Ab. So. Lutely.

What else is there to do? Pat their collective arms and tell them they won't fail next time? I waited, just like everyone else, for three years, for a game that will NEVER be released. Three YEARS of disappointment, and they've been working on this game far longer than that! In 4-5 YEARS from now, I hope to be knowledgeable and skilled enough to be a part of a development studio myself. By then I won't even care that Terraria ever existed, if I want a nostalgia trip I'll play one of the hundreds of other successful games.

I wouldn't have ever dared to be so rude if they had done things differently, or even tried to make it work. Instead they outsourced and gave up, and played possom for months at a time. Credit where credit is due, this works both ways.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

YOU :red:ED UP! XD

.... Whew!! I had some serious real life Lolz goin' on. This is as unbelievable as it is believable and hilarious. You're right, you never should have announced it so early- more importantly you should have kept an open and honest line of communication with your customers. You failed to do that, and that makes this all the more embarrassing for you.

We waited, you promised, you went dark and never delivered. You're a one-hit wonder it seems, and we were all left wanting. At least you released a title in the past, but this isn't a step up from those companies that hadn't before they folded. I'd give my left leg to be a part of creating games for a living, and here it seems you have such a wondrous opportunity and you're squandering it.

Maybe it won't make much difference to your company at all, but you've lost me as a customer permanently. Not because I want to pout about this, but really because I played Terraria until I was bored with it, and it's clear that you'll never release another title. Enjoy trying to pick up the pieces of your failure, I'm sure someone will find comfort in your false promises.

Now, on to better things to spend my time and money on. ADVENTURE AWAITS SOMEWHERE ELSE! ONWARD! *Rides T-Rex into the Sunset*

When you make us one of the most popular and top rated games of all time and proceed to give us 7 years of free updates on it for $10 I'm sure the developers and us fans will listen to you. Until then...

As for something more constructive to say...

I look forward to some of the ideas from Otherworld working their way into future updates and titles. I'm sure a lot of Otherworld won't go amiss in T2.

Last edited:
Let's stop arguing with each other and return to discussing the topic of the thread, please. Thanks.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

YOU :red:ED UP! XD

.... Whew!! I had some serious real life Lolz goin' on. This is as unbelievable as it is believable and hilarious. You're right, you never should have announced it so early- more importantly you should have kept an open and honest line of communication with your customers. You failed to do that, and that makes this all the more embarrassing for you.

We waited, you promised, you went dark and never delivered. You're a one-hit wonder it seems, and we were all left wanting. At least you released a title in the past, but this isn't a step up from those companies that hadn't before they folded. I'd give my left leg to be a part of creating games for a living, and here it seems you have such a wondrous opportunity and you're squandering it.

Maybe it won't make much difference to your company at all, but you've lost me as a customer permanently. Not because I want to pout about this, but really because I played Terraria until I was bored with it, and it's clear that you'll never release another title. Enjoy trying to pick up the pieces of your failure, I'm sure someone will find comfort in your false promises.

Now, on to better things to spend my time and money on. ADVENTURE AWAITS SOMEWHERE ELSE! ONWARD! *Rides T-Rex into the Sunset*

Absolutely!

Ab. So. Lutely.

What else is there to do? Pat their collective arms and tell them they won't fail next time? I waited, just like everyone else, for three years, for a game that will NEVER be released. Three YEARS of disappointment, and they've been working on this game far longer than that! In 4-5 YEARS from now, I hope to be knowledgeable and skilled enough to be a part of a development studio myself. By then I won't even care that Terraria ever existed, if I want a nostalgia trip I'll play one of the hundreds of other successful games.

I wouldn't have ever dared to be so rude if they had done things differently, or even tried to make it work. Instead they outsourced and gave up, and played possom for months at a time. Credit where credit is due, this works both ways.

Then if you will kindly take your stuff, and leave your negativity off of the forums, that'd be nice.

Let me know when you make a more popular game than Terraria. Until then, I'll be here.

@Tunnel King , @Loki Can we just make it a rule that even joking about suicide is not kosher? I really don't think joking about suicide is something that is appropriate on the forums, but yet I don't think I've seen it as an actual rule?

I think it needs to be a rule.
probably a good idea
[doublepost=1524149588,1524149375][/doublepost]
So true. Before I found terraria I thought Minecraft was the best game. Then I found terraria and minecraft got brutally dethroned.
I stoped playing Minecraft and stated cod and dark souls, then started terraria as well as dark souls and the occasional cod

Minecraft and Terraria are geared towards different people.

Terraria has (IMO) superior combat, but yet Minecraft allows for even better building options than Terraria (even though Terraria isn't too shabby, but we Are limited by a 2D plane).

Minecraft can also have more detailed wiring, and I've heard of addon packs that are just crazy complicated, like making power generators and stuff, nuclear reactors, etc.

Again - the topic of the thread is Terraria: Otherworld, not Terraria or Minecraft or forum rules.

Please return to that topic, since this is the only remaining place to discuss Otherworld's fate and there are other places to discuss the other things. Thanks.

Well, that sucks.

I was going to write up a huge thing of why I feel all salty and disappointed and disgusted.

But really why does it matter? Its done and gone. Granted rudeness is never a nice thing, but sometimes it is earned.

I'm not going to go as far as to say that you've lost me as a customer. But I'm certainly going to be a lot more cautious the next time I see your name anywhere on the project whether you were the publisher whether you were the developer whether they just used some assets from you. Whatever. Because that pixel privateers thing that you quote "were only a publisher" unquote that's now a bankrupt company didn't make you look all that hot either.( I realized you asked to keep the discussion only two otherworld but I believe that that last sentence pertains to what I'm talking about right now)

I wish no ill on any of you. I'm just severely disappointed / disgusted at the way this whole thing was handled start to finish. May your next project go much better.

Because that pixel privateers thing that you quote "were only a publisher" unquote that's now a bankrupt company didn't make you look all that hot either.

Yes, but take FNaF and Scott Cawthon as an example.

Scott made several games that were very very highly criticized, and he took his "failure" and look at him now, he's now rich off his 5 buyable FNaFs games, not even counting FNaF World, another one of his "failures".

He's doing quite well now.

And even George Lucas, had made a really really bad holiday special of Star Wars, he's ashamed of it, and yet he's still plenty rich. (Although, he did sell his company, Lucas Arts, to the Walt Disney Company, He's doing fine as well.)

Anything considered a "failure", even games, are mere hinderences, and in the case of Scott Cawthon, the criticism became his inspiration for a new line of games, and I believe Re-Logic can definitely recover from this little bump, like these two did. :) (sorry Tunnel King, but it's relevant.)

The only thing successful entrepreneurs have in common is that they have failed... and learned from and persisted through those failures.

Privateers has literally nothing to do with Otherworld - two VASTLY different situations. Will just leave it at that.

I'm not disappointed that OtherWorld is cancelled.

I'm disappointed that you've chosen your wording carefully so to avoid DIRECTLY saying that you are definitely not going to be using ideas from TOW in Terraria, but will instead look to putting them into "future games".

I hope that's not the case.

I'm disappointed that you've chosen your wording carefully so to avoid DIRECTLY saying that you are definitely not going to be using ideas from TOW in Terraria, but will instead look to putting them into "future games".

Well, remember when 1.3 was coming out for Consoles, and everyone thought Pipeworks' expectations = A Deadline?

I believe this is wise wording on their part so that they are less misunderstood, and people don't take it as an affirmative, when it was a "maybe".

They may use assets and ideas from OtherWorld, but they want to keep their options open. As Loki stated earlier, there's a lot we haven't seen, and I think they would like it to be a pleasant surprise, whatever they choose to do.
This doesn't mean that they have to put these assets in Terraria, or that they have to use them at all, but it's also not discrediting the possibility, it's TBA, up to speculation.

They said cancelling DEVELOPMENT.
could possibly restart soon.
Cancelling a game and cancelling it's DEVELOPMENT are 2 different things.

They don't want to make promises that they can, or cannot keep and they aren't sure if they are going to do it or not. They word things like they did to avoid ridiculous hype trains and over-bloated expectations.

They said cancelling DEVELOPMENT.
could possibly restart soon.
Cancelling a game and cancelling it's DEVELOPMENT are 2 different things.

Eh, it was made very clear that the game itself is indeed dead. Maybe the initial announcement could be twisted some, but further posts by various moderators left very little room for wiggling with the interpretation. Don't get your hopes up.

People, don't be overreactive, furiously complaining about some "disappointment" is not a very sensable reaction! You have to admit at least Re-Logic has decided to bring it out. They could have simply just kept this to themselves, and BESIDES, it's not like YOU were the one losing money to terraria otherworld. I'm sure Re-Logic is Injured enough at the thought of losing so much money to something that just couldn't make it... And these negative statements you people are smacking these guys with just is not making it any better for them... let us know when YOU understand how much pain it is to lose several million dollars.

@te-RAWR-ia : I don't think the money is first and foremost of Re-Logic's collective minds, to be honest. I mean, yeah, I'm sure money is there somewhere as that is a concern, but even moreso than money, the entire Re-Logic team to me, I've always thought of as being very passionate about their games. If it was about the money, they would have made the major updates DLCs, or been hawking mictrotransactions. They would be adding mounts and asking us to pay $1 here $2 there for in-game mounts or vanity clothing.

They don't do this for money. They continue to sell the game for $10 even though 1.3+ is at least 5x if not 10x more content than 1.0 was.

They do it because they love the game, and they want their customers to be happy with what they create. So when they pour so much work into Terraria and then go and make Otherworld and it flops... I'm quite sure that's a big blow to their morale, or at least their 'feel good'. They probably feel like they failed us, and I imagine they probably feel terrible about it.

And yes, to be on the receiving end of complaints only makes it worse. I applaud the more sensible minded of us that respond reasonably, but yet I also have to sigh sadly at the people who are not as understanding and really wish they'd think about these things before acting so selfish.

Back
Top Bottom