Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

Already answered in the OP itself, no they are not releasing the game as-is, and no, there are no plans of continuing development and any usable assets might be re-used in Terraria or other future projects.
I missed that in the header, my bad.

Already answered in the OP itself, no they are not releasing the game as-is, and no, there are no plans of continuing development and any usable assets might be re-used in Terraria or other future projects.
Just a note.. you keep saying assets, however what has been mentioned (in the first post and in Loki's responses) that may be used in future projects is ideas. Yes, RL owns the assets (art, music, etc), but it's ideas (some that haven't been shared) that may be seen in future projects.

Just a note.. you keep saying assets, however what has been mentioned (in the first post and in Loki's responses) that may be used in future projects is ideas. Yes, RL owns the assets (art, music, etc), but it's ideas (some that haven't been shared) that may be seen in future projects.

I view ideas as assets as well, because if you think about it, they kinda are. An "asset" is anything that is used to make a game, including graphics, sound....and IMO, concepts/systems/ideas. Not the technical term, per se...

I suppose I could be in a minority when it comes to that style of thinking, but meh. Same concept applies?

What about the part about letting modders finish the game? After all, I had seen a few good terraria mods.

The base game needs to be good enough to give modders something to build off of.

It sounds like Otherworld just wasn't up to snuff, and maybe they didn't want to go the route of Starbound where more than half of the game is basic sandbox systems for modders to build upon.

No offense against Starbound, as I like and play it too, but Starbound was designed from the very beginning to be very easily mod-able.

The fact that Re-Logic decided to cancel TOW shows that they possess a stern unwillingness to put out any kind of mediocre product and that is highly respectable. I'd rather have no sequel at all than a tarnished legacy of Terraria. Good move guys. You did the right thing even though it didn't feel good. The right moves only feel good in the long run.

Thank you very much @Loki . I would like to sincerely apologize for anything that may have came off negatively, due to my feeling at said time. I understand fully now why you made the decisions you made and in that regard I think you guys were doing the right thing, we just didn't know at the time. Your dedication to replying to us is outstanding, thank you for taking the time to clear our concerns. With that said, I am hopeful and confident next time around will be much smoother. Untill that time comes, see you all in Terraria! After all, the new update is looking amazing.
Cheers Re-Logic and best of luck on your future Projects!

I was skeptical of this game at first, but now that it's cancelled, I feel almost sad. Sure, I thought it was just a re-skin of Terraria, but now I feel like it would have been interesting. You could reuse T:OW ideas for regular Terraria, though.

Well, remember when 1.3 was coming out for Consoles, and everyone thought Pipeworks' expectations = A Deadline?

I believe this is wise wording on their part so that they are less misunderstood, and people don't take it as an affirmative, when it was a "maybe".

They may use assets and ideas from OtherWorld, but they want to keep their options open. As Loki stated earlier, there's a lot we haven't seen, and I think they would like it to be a pleasant surprise, whatever they choose to do.
This doesn't mean that they have to put these assets in Terraria, or that they have to use them at all, but it's also not discrediting the possibility, it's TBA, up to speculation.

I guess I'm just mad because I'm a little cynic and that side of me says there's no way they're going to bring Otherworld content into our game and "they should just admit it already".

I need to stop being so negative. lol

It's really bad that the development of the game is canceled, I really wanted to play at least once in my life to it. But, during the years, I had a doubt that it was going to be canceled.

R.I.P Terraria: Otherworld
2015-2018

Eh, c'mon, there's other games out there.

You like Terraria, I get that, hey so do I.

But Terraria is far from the only game I play. There's Starbound, there's Stardew Valley... I've been eyeing My Life At Portia (Stardew Valley + Breath of the Wild on PC!?!? *drool!*), then I've got my staples of FFXIV, WoW, there's also Minecraft if you're into that kind of thing (It's been on my to-do list for a long time), and then there's a plethora of other indie pixel art games, there's also some awesome ones coming up, like Heart Forth Alicia, Bloodlines: Ritual of the Night, and don't forget about stuff like Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, etc.

Plenty of games out there.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying you should forget about Re-Logic and their games, but you know, if you've done everything you can think of to do and are waiting for 1.3.6+ like the rest of us, and you're bored... give some of the stuff I mentioned above a try.
I played plenty of games but you can't compare anything with Terraria. They are unique and I really needed that Terraria: Otherworld, I hope they find a better or faster solution cause this is actually a bit upsetting. I know I may come out like an :red: but I feel a bit of frustration knowing that I won't have much time when their new title comes out.

I played plenty of games but you can't compare anything with Terraria. They are unique and I really needed that Terraria: Otherworld, I hope they find a better or faster solution cause this is actually a bit upsetting. I know I may come out like an :red: but I feel a bit of frustration knowing that I won't have much time when their new title comes out.

Well, I don't know. I think Starbound is a fair comparison, though that game has its own flaws (but then Terraria ain't perfect either). Do wish Starbound had less lag and didn't take so freaking long to load, lol.

But still.

It is what it is, it'd be nice if they'd at least get the next major update out soon, it sounds like it'll be awesome.

I agree perfectly with you Feutor...

Terraria, until then, is unique! To be honest, Re-Logic could succeed by investing only in Terraria, devoting itself entirely to its development.
Although I like it, STARBOUND can not be compared to the Terraria. Until some of its resources are legal, but the idea of being able to build everything and destroy everything, makes Terraria the fantastic game that it is.

I'm also very sad and very frustrated with the cancellation... I was already very upset about the idea of postponing the launch of the game. I know this kind of thing happens, that we should support the team and try to believe that better days will come... but the truth is that I believe that this decision should strongly affect the credibility of the Re-Logic company, since the trust in it was deeply shaken and the economic market extremely unstable.

And what is left of hope then? Maybe a STARBOUND 2... adapted and resembling the Terraria... I do not think that's a bad idea... huh ?! kkkkkkkkkk...

A truly sad moment for all of us who rode the train of hype the train has suddenly crashed leaving us with sadness and anguish, it must’ve been a hell of a decision.We’d love it if you gave us what you had made with it. I’d love to play the canceled version of a game by re-logic. Well, keep up the good work with your other games and move on from the cancellation of T:OW and continue making Terraria great!

Been awhile since I got around to playing Terraria or visiting the forum here. I'm really disapointed in this news since it looked like T:OW was shaping up nicely and had some promise.

Good Day, Terrarians-

We wanted to take a few moments to share some important news with you all in regards to the status of Terraria: Otherworld.

As you all know from when we first announced the game a long while ago – and as we repeated in our subsequent posts - Re-Logic’s focus has and always will be on delivering complete and quality game experiences to our fanbase. Just to underscore it once more, this means that we will not compromise game quality for speed to market or for any other reasons within our control. Our team has a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, in spite of all of our efforts, the current state of the game remains equal parts far from that vision and beyond behind schedule from our initial planning when we shared Otherworld with all of you three years ago. Progress has absolutely been made during that time – but unfortunately, a very thorough status review of the game versus its intended design showed both the Re-Logic and 505/Pipeworks teams that things were quite a bit further away from the finish line than we had imagined. Taking the massive amount of work that would be remaining to complete along with the extensive time it would take to get that done, and how that would greatly interfere with the pursuit of other projects on behalf of Re-Logic – it becomes clear that this leaves things in a very undesirable state.

As a result, we have made the decision to terminate development of Terraria: Otherworld.

We sincerely thank both of our external development teams for their hard work on the game, but at some point, we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that Otherworld simply is never going to reach its potential in any sort of reasonable time or fashion.

We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.

index.php

So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

• In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.

• Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.

• Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.

• Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.

• This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.

index.php

Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

We are sure that you have a ton of questions, and we will answer what we can – but we will not delve into some areas out of either respect or confidence or the unknown. So we will ask your patience and forgiveness in advance there. Thanks!
I've seen what some people have done with open source code and programming software, I think the community could expand on this a ton as a team if some parts were open source. This game has very much potential.

I've seen what some people have done with open source code and programming software, I think the community could expand on this a ton as a team if some parts were open source. This game has very much potential.
Converting a non-open source game to open source would be more trouble than it's worth in this case. Just because they own the game rights doesn't mean they can just hand the work out.

And they might not even want to, because you know, outsourcing is what caused the whole mess in the first place.

If outsourcing to a development company didn't work, why would outsourcing to the crowd work?

Re-Logic was a cohesive experience that feels like it was made by a singular team, not a bunch of random joes adding their bits in. Even the bigger Terraria mods have their teams of people who collaborate with one another.

Back
Top Bottom