Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

and most of those fall apart and they don't have to build core systems

All of which is besides the point: there's probably ideas and concepts built into T:OW that they don't want to go public. Aside from it being cool to surprise people with it as a finished product down the road, they also have to consider protecting their IP.

That's a real shame, but at least there is no more uncertainty. We can tell it was a difficult decision, and it makes sense, but hope it wasn't a costly decision, not just in terms of money, but in terms of morale and time. Otherworld will live on in our hearts like that scruffy uncle we didn't know very much about, but loved anyway.

Terraria is one of the greatest games I have ever played, if not the greatest. I can confidently say that it was the best spent $20 of my life. You guys are hands down the best developing team ever. Not because you have a ton of money for developing, or the most skilled coders you could hire, but because you put love into your work. I know you made the right choice, and look forward to the future.
[doublepost=1525081893,1525081294][/doublepost]
Eh, c'mon, there's other games out there.

You like Terraria, I get that, hey so do I.

But Terraria is far from the only game I play. There's Starbound, there's Stardew Valley... I've been eyeing My Life At Portia (Stardew Valley + Breath of the Wild on PC!?!? *drool!*), then I've got my staples of FFXIV, WoW, there's also Minecraft if you're into that kind of thing (It's been on my to-do list for a long time), and then there's a plethora of other indie pixel art games, there's also some awesome ones coming up, like Heart Forth Alicia, Bloodlines: Ritual of the Night, and don't forget about stuff like Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, etc.

Plenty of games out there.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying you should forget about Re-Logic and their games, but you know, if you've done everything you can think of to do and are waiting for 1.3.6+ like the rest of us, and you're bored... give some of the stuff I mentioned above a try.
Yeah, there are lots of games out there, even though few compare to Terraria. Right now I'm into ARK: Survival Evolved and Starbound. My go to when I'm bored of everything else is Minecraft and it's many mods.

I didn’t know and now that I do I am dying in the inside :(
[doublepost=1525125443,1525125325][/doublepost]
-This news are indeed something unexpected, but still you guys had you reassons to make this decission and we respect it, Terraria developers team is great enought to have a great future no matter what. Thanks for this info we will always support you guys <3.

You’re right I will have to get used to it and most games

@Tunnel King , @Loki Can we just make it a rule that even joking about suicide is not kosher? I really don't think joking about suicide is something that is appropriate on the forums, but yet I don't think I've seen it as an actual rule?

I think it needs to be a rule.
You do realise this is the internet and the year is 2018 right? There are those fairly-old things on this amazing platform called "memes"
You should look it up if you've been living under a rock for the past few years and don't know what they are.

**Quick sidee note, the reasons to live meme is made to express a situation in a way that won't get you banned from anywhere yet still deliver how you feel. Don't take that away please thank you :)

Didnt hear about this untill now, the game if it didnt release on console would have been a bummer to most people who waited so long for 1.3 but, being able to focus more time in to terraria is good when you think anout it, lets hope for the best ya know, there's always the future to look forward to anyways...

The base game needs to be good enough to give modders something to build off of.

It sounds like Otherworld just wasn't up to snuff, and maybe they didn't want to go the route of Starbound where more than half of the game is basic sandbox systems for modders to build upon.

No offense against Starbound, as I like and play it too, but Starbound was designed from the very beginning to be very easily mod-able.
I see what you meant, after all, if the game has too little stuff in it then the modders might as well mod terraria.

Was gonna add some1 with gauntlet but I don't wanna throw the blame on someone in particular.
Also no capcha required I think it speaks for itself.. ;(
PicsArt_05-03-06.34.01.png

I'm gutted to hear that Otherworld has been cancelled.

This was a project i've been looking forward too since it was announced.

Though like the rest of the community I respect that you've taken the time to address us and be honest with the situation.

Though i must say this springs forth a bigger question.

I can't remember whether it was rumored or confirmed at the time but there was talk about Terraria 2 not being a project until otherworld was done.

With Otherworld now cancelled does this mean theres a possibility of Terraria 2 being produced?

Sad news indeed, but much respect to Re-Logic for making what must have been a hard decision. Looking forward to seeing all these unknown ideas in any upcoming project that RL produces, as I'm sure they will be great when they come to fruition, whenever that may be.

Can we at least get a demo type thing of all the work you've done so far on the game?
If you would that would make a me and a lot more people very happy, so we can get a taste of what this game could have been.

I think you made the right choice if you did rush the game for release for your fans it probably wouldn't be good so I think cancelling it was a better idea.

Rest in Bologna Terraria: Otherworld! Still love ya Re-Logic!

Can we at least get a demo type thing of all the work you've done so far on the game?
If you would that would make a me and a lot more people very happy, so we can get a taste of what this game could have been.
It's been said by ReLogic multiple times in here that's not gonna happen. Too many hurdles to releasing it, including the fact that they don't think it's any good to play.

Good Day, Terrarians-

We wanted to take a few moments to share some important news with you all in regards to the status of Terraria: Otherworld.

As you all know from when we first announced the game a long while ago – and as we repeated in our subsequent posts - Re-Logic’s focus has and always will be on delivering complete and quality game experiences to our fanbase. Just to underscore it once more, this means that we will not compromise game quality for speed to market or for any other reasons within our control. Our team has a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, in spite of all of our efforts, the current state of the game remains equal parts far from that vision and beyond behind schedule from our initial planning when we shared Otherworld with all of you three years ago. Progress has absolutely been made during that time – but unfortunately, a very thorough status review of the game versus its intended design showed both the Re-Logic and 505/Pipeworks teams that things were quite a bit further away from the finish line than we had imagined. Taking the massive amount of work that would be remaining to complete along with the extensive time it would take to get that done, and how that would greatly interfere with the pursuit of other projects on behalf of Re-Logic – it becomes clear that this leaves things in a very undesirable state.

As a result, we have made the decision to terminate development of Terraria: Otherworld.

We sincerely thank both of our external development teams for their hard work on the game, but at some point, we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that Otherworld simply is never going to reach its potential in any sort of reasonable time or fashion.

We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.

index.php

So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

• In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.

• Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.

• Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.

• Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.

• This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.

index.php

Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

We are sure that you have a ton of questions, and we will answer what we can – but we will not delve into some areas out of either respect or confidence or the unknown. So we will ask your patience and forgiveness in advance there. Thanks!
As sad as this news is, I still think that even if it takes decades, Re-Logic can pull off another game, T:OW or not.

Anyone know whats next for Terraria sequel wise? I would like to see another spin off but after this i'm not sure if they'll put that much work into anything but Terraria 2. Either way, maybe there's news about something someone could share.

Anyone know whats next for Terraria sequel wise? I would like to see another spin off but after this i'm not sure if they'll put that much work into anything but Terraria 2. Either way, maybe there's news about something someone could share.
I'd say Terraria 2 is the only thing we're looking at for future games at the moment. Supposedly it's already being worked on. If they have other plans they're being smart this time and keeping them under wraps until they have something of substance to announce.

I'd say Terraria 2 is the only thing we're looking at for future games at the moment. Supposedly it's already being worked on. If they have other plans they're being smart this time and keeping them under wraps until they have something of substance to announce.
Yeah, probably so.

Back
Top Bottom