Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

This is pretty disheartening to read. But hey, you had some amazing ideas which I hope will be ported into either a Terraria sequel or some other game in question.

Grapple swinging was awesome, a larger ocean biome was pretty amazing as well, evolving weapons, and much, much more. I have faith in you guys, so don't let this get you down.

Aw. You know, someone should either make a mod for this, or as Catrabus said, make a documentation. Well, even though an important part of terraria history was cancelled, we will still go on. Who knows? Maybe in the future we will have a new Otherworld. But, we will never forget about this one.

hi, i wasnt acctually going to play this as i dont have a pc but would it GOING to be on the xbox ome and ps4?

If it was going to be released, it was planned to be released on Xbox One and PS4 around the same time as PC. Details about it can be found in this Thread: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-otherworld-post-gdc-details-trailer.13943/

There was another Thread where it was confirmed to be on Xbox One and PS4 I believe, but I cannot find that Thread now. Naturally it won't be happening since the game is cancelled now. From what I remember the platforms were going to be PC, Mac, and Xbox One and PS4.

I bet deciding to stop development on OW was a harder choice to make for them then it is a disappointment to us.
It takes courage to be willing to see when certain efforts aren't worth the results anymore.
Respect for that.

I'm very happy to hear that development on Terraria continues, it's the best of it's kind in my opinion.
I wish all teams the best in their present and future endeavours.

Three years after it was announced and still showed no conclusive signs of a release prospect, I assumed it would either bomb or be cancelled outright.
I've been wrong making this prediction before (Starbound, S.P.A.Z. 2), but this time I was sadly right.

I have to say I have not been super inclusive of myself in the whole train of hype and support for Terraria Otherworld when it was announced due to being busy with a lot of things and other games, however I knew enough to still feel a bit sad. I can understand though, and these things happen (Kinda like how P.T. was cancled). I would love, unless Red is holding this ace of a song up his sleeve for future use, to hear what could have been the corruption and space biome OSTs. I still listen to those sound clips on occasion and just wonder :3

I highly doubt anyone from the staff at Re-Logic will read this, but I need to get this off my chest. As a company, you've simply gotten lazy. You're resting on your laurels and, quite frankly, it's a little disheartening coming from the people who put out a 15 dollar game that I pumped more time into than most AAA titles.

Pixel Piracy was a complete flop, making well under expected sales. Not only that, but the company that you outsourced it to went under due to poor sales and someone strait out stabbing you in the back. Worst still, the game feels like every mass produced "8 bit" indie title out there, boasting absolutely no ground breaking or enthralling game mechanics at all. It's practically a flash game that people spend 15 bucks on.

Pixel Privateers is doing much better, but hasn't really broken any ground. Sure it's a decent game, but you'd be hard pressed to even find it on steam. I even remember seeing the announcement for it, watching some gameplay, and then simply passing it up as there are more enjoyable RTS out there. Add this to the fact that you outsourced this game as well to the same company that went under (Quadro Delta) and now you have two dead end go nowhere games, generating almost no cashflow for your company.

Then comes in Terraria: Otherworld. What's most astonishing is that you have the gall to take the IP that LAUNCHED your company, the one that captured hearts and minds, and then OUTSOURCE it not ONCE, but TWICE. That's pretty lazy. You'd think your brainchild, the one that brought you all your success, would be the most coveted thing you have, uninfluenced by ANY outside companies. To top it all off, you left it in the hands of people who were in charge of PORTING your games. Engine Software? Aside from completely letting you down, their plethora of games hasn't even made a dent in the market let alone a name for the company. If anything, letting them port your game to consoles effectively put them on the map. Untried, untested, and at the end, untrue, you removed them because they failed you.

Then you move on to Pipeworks. What? You managed to find an even more primordial company, whose claim to fame is a flashy online version of cards against humanity that nobody plays because there's almost no cards in the base game (dont worry, you can purchase a billion more card packs for 4.99 each), and decide that because they ported your game that they can start work on Terraria: Otherworld. You come around to see how they're doing and, surprise, they've got nothing worth :red: done.

So why is it that you, Re-Logic, aren't working on Terraria: Otherworld yourselves? Are you swamped with content updates for Terraria? I doubt it, as there hasn't been any real content updates added to Terraria for close to 2 years now. Hotfixes and UI updates, language support, quality of life improvements. Where's the meat? Where's the reason people play? Sure you've got a squad of people who just build all day and there's nothing wrong with that, but we both know that's not what attracted people to the game. If it was, there'd be no point in having 14 bosses (outside of events).

I've been following your company with great interest, and had some amazing experiences playing this game with my friends, even when it was difficult as all hell to actually get into a multiplayer game together. Terraria is truly a must play game on most peoples list, and yet you sit and rest on your laurels; content to let other companies abuse your name and intellectual properties.

tldr; Re-Logic is resting on their laurels, coasting off the success of one game and letting untested no-name companies use their name as a gateway to make terrible indie titles. They should have never outsourced their most valuable IP, let alone to two indie companies whose claim to fame is actually porting the aforementioned IP. If Re-Logic developed Terraria: Otherworld instead of being lazy asses, it would've launched by now.

Nothing in this world is perfect, Re-Logic can make mistakes or bad choices just as well as any of us and live their lives how they choose like us. God forbid that anyone ever makes a choice that blows up in their face without someone pointing it out to them when they already know what they've lived with and most likely intend to learn from it in the long run. Being upset about something is understandable, but even if anyone from Re-Logic did read anything anything any of us have to say, I'm sure they're well aware of it all, the grief, the questions, the facts and no doubt the backlash that some would emit as well as the understanding others would give.

My advice is to let Re-Logic worry about how they spend their time, how they go about their development, it's their choice. The facts are the facts, nothing changes that. I don't blame them for being human, and I surely don't blame them for choosing to halt development on Terraria: Otherworld despite any disappointment I could ever have. Whether or not there are people who lose faith in Re-Logic for now is nothing that concerns me, because they made Terraria, a game we've all praised multiple times over the years, and I believe they will make another game of the Terraria series that we'll come to praise all over again, something they'll feel proud about releasing and something will be our pleasure to experience even if it took canning Terraria: Otherworld first to get there.

I highly doubt anyone from the staff at Re-Logic will read this, but I need to get this off my chest. As a company, you've simply gotten lazy. You're resting on your laurels and, quite frankly, it's a little disheartening coming from the people who put out a 15 dollar game that I pumped more time into than most AAA titles.

Pixel Piracy was a complete flop, making well under expected sales. Not only that, but the company that you outsourced it to went under due to poor sales and someone strait out stabbing you in the back. Worst still, the game feels like every mass produced "8 bit" indie title out there, boasting absolutely no ground breaking or enthralling game mechanics at all. It's practically a flash game that people spend 15 bucks on.

Pixel Privateers is doing much better, but hasn't really broken any ground. Sure it's a decent game, but you'd be hard pressed to even find it on steam. I even remember seeing the announcement for it, watching some gameplay, and then simply passing it up as there are more enjoyable RTS out there. Add this to the fact that you outsourced this game as well to the same company that went under (Quadro Delta) and now you have two dead end go nowhere games, generating almost no cashflow for your company.

Then comes in Terraria: Otherworld. What's most astonishing is that you have the gall to take the IP that LAUNCHED your company, the one that captured hearts and minds, and then OUTSOURCE it not ONCE, but TWICE. That's pretty lazy. You'd think your brainchild, the one that brought you all your success, would be the most coveted thing you have, uninfluenced by ANY outside companies. To top it all off, you left it in the hands of people who were in charge of PORTING your games. Engine Software? Aside from completely letting you down, their plethora of games hasn't even made a dent in the market let alone a name for the company. If anything, letting them port your game to consoles effectively put them on the map. Untried, untested, and at the end, untrue, you removed them because they failed you.

Then you move on to Pipeworks. What? You managed to find an even more primordial company, whose claim to fame is a flashy online version of cards against humanity that nobody plays because there's almost no cards in the base game (dont worry, you can purchase a billion more card packs for 4.99 each), and decide that because they ported your game that they can start work on Terraria: Otherworld. You come around to see how they're doing and, surprise, they've got nothing worth :red: done.

So why is it that you, Re-Logic, aren't working on Terraria: Otherworld yourselves? Are you swamped with content updates for Terraria? I doubt it, as there hasn't been any real content updates added to Terraria for close to 2 years now. Hotfixes and UI updates, language support, quality of life improvements. Where's the meat? Where's the reason people play? Sure you've got a squad of people who just build all day and there's nothing wrong with that, but we both know that's not what attracted people to the game. If it was, there'd be no point in having 14 bosses (outside of events).

I've been following your company with great interest, and had some amazing experiences playing this game with my friends, even when it was difficult as all hell to actually get into a multiplayer game together. Terraria is truly a must play game on most peoples list, and yet you sit and rest on your laurels; content to let other companies abuse your name and intellectual properties.

tldr; Re-Logic is resting on their laurels, coasting off the success of one game and letting untested no-name companies use their name as a gateway to make terrible indie titles. They should have never outsourced their most valuable IP, let alone to two indie companies whose claim to fame is actually porting the aforementioned IP. If Re-Logic developed Terraria: Otherworld instead of being lazy asses, it would've launched by now.

Wow.
That was quite something.

Without getting heated or wishing to start any arguments I must first say that I actually work in the games industry and some of your statements suggest you do not.
But you make sweeping pronouncements that can only be supported by inside industry knowledge or possession of facts regarding said statements.
Firstly, at no point do you attempt to support any of your claims with even the smallest gathering of facts whatsoever.
You simply state that "Pixel Piracy was a complete flop, making well under expected sales."
Do you know what the expected sales were?
If it is a complete flop then why is it still on Steam?
Secondly, your disappointment while valid and understandable does not really justify sounding off in such a manner. It's very snarky and bitter and would probably get more credence from anyone from Re-Logic who might read it if the slurs were not so unwarranted, unsupported or personal.

How do you know that Re-Logic are "resting on their laurels"?
Do you know what happens every day in their offices?
In your following of the company, a task you say you have undertaken "with great interest", have you acquired some "MEAT" which seems to be something they have failed to provide for "close to two years now"?
Can you put some "meat" on the bones of your assertions, without getting riled or aggravated?
Can you actually back up your statements.
What were the expected sales?
How does a company that has survived for over 20 years, regardless of dropping the ball on T:OW deserve to be called a no-name company?
Equally, simply because Pipeworks, has not tucked any AAA titles under their belts prior to acquiring T:OW, how qualified are you to say their team is not competent enough to pick up where Engine dropped off?
Do you know the capabilities of every team member in both Engine and Pipeworks, so much so that you can judge them so broadly and dismiss them in a heartbeat?

Please, if you do, outline these facts so that we can then take your pronouncements more seriously and view them as something more than the outpourings of an angry child.

Not for one instant do I suggest that you are indeed angry or a child, but this is how your post came across. The tone was spiteful, malicious and vindictive. Filled with borderline juvenile name-calling and an overall tone of "entitlement", like many posts on forums such as this.
They are not unusual.
Players become precious over what they perceive as something that has become "theirs".
They have a feeling of ownership and are outraged at change or disappointment when things don't happen as they feel they should or when they feel they should.

Having worked for the last 35 years in the games industry and at one point actually working on T:OW I can actually say that pretty much everything you said was incorrect, unfair or insulting.
Calling Re-Logic "Lazy Asses" certainly didn't underline your arguments or establish yourself as someone whose opinion is to be given any real attention or seen as valid or even interesting.
If you honestly think the three companies involved have not seen posts like this before you must be delusional.
If you think posts like this worry them or give them an atom of concern, again your grip on reality must be tenuous at best.

If you wanted to make these points, you could have gone about it in a far better manner. With carefully thought out points, supported with facts, figures or at least a lot less name-calling and supposition.

Like I said.
I have not answered to start an argument, I've probably got socks older than you and have better things to do with my time.
I have not answered out of any loyalty to any company involved in this project, because I have none.
I answered because I found your passion admirable, your vexation natural, but your baseless and venomous attacks both childish and self-defeating.
My main reason for this reply was that I find attacks on the games industry by obvious outsiders to be irksome.
People who can, do.
People who can't, criticise on forums.
If you feel you can do any better than the three companies you have taken such lengths to disparage, I encourage you to do so.
I will follow your progress "with great interest."

If, as you say "there are more enjoyable RTS out there", you would probably be best diverting your energies in that direction.

Last edited:
Well, the cancellation of Otherworld is a disappointment, but I'd like to thank you for both giving it a clean ending instead of sweeping it under the rug, and for acknowledging that you made mistakes. At least for me, both of those go a long way in building trust.

Neither of those games were outsourced as you claim. They were made by Quadro Delta on their own initiative and only published by Re-Logic. And I'll leave it at that.

I told you, this is your own fault that none had listen to me when I said the game will fail. I came back and I knew time was short on you, this is your curse you castes on yourself, I knew it won't turn out the way you expected and now someone will buy your unfinished production and your company. The possible the fact I won't lie because of you were too focus other things, you can't point the one direction and your determination flakes like the autumn fall. All I can say don't piss me off next time I will accept small apologized, but the next time you do something like this, the company will fall next. Don't say someone know how talk ok for me, you only speaking to rougher stone, a stone you can't shape by hand like rest crowds who is like clay.

Now if you ask question with question I will not answer you, but if you want to know keep your company going, I tell you this, higher more developers, grab the steam communities moderators, grab your fan moderator or modders people and ask of them for the lending hand for I tell you to trust my words of these so your work will not go to shatter like the glass it is. As you want to forge a perfect gem as diamond, then ask God for the lend and apologized to him more to accept your plead have your sins forgiven. Sorry sound like priest, but this is your own curse you brought it on yourself. At the time being your time is cracking, so you better ask the big man, I know your not man of God, but this was your own fault along with the your team, as I know your company will be bought out soon, and you won't be pleased about the price when they ask for it.

I know other companies will try fish for small one and yours is a small one, and at this time being, they will come swimming fast like a shark they are hunting and preying down on you because your the small fish and they will try make big buck out of your game. Like I said follow what i just said, because these are your sources of the people who are willing help and give you the back bones, these are the people who will give an arm to be lean on them, this is what you call friend in common way and predator will try hunt down an wounded animal and your the one who is wounded. Without good amount help, you will be defenseless even the heard of sheep will flee if you take up as the ram. These are wisdom and parable as I have to explain it the parable because no one understood what it means exactly, for the reason why is because no one will understood the story because they aren't in great wisdom so I will give wisdom and wisdom is not as greater knowledge for it made it along each other like brothers and sisters as we know without them we either grow up independent or grow up to be broken without them, that why wisdom and knowledge can't stay way from each other.

As the time being, prepare the worst time for your company, there will not be one shark in the water, but a swarm of them because they noticed your wound and your tears for it will grieved you will be pressured on this time, people will doubt like the sheep and won't stand by for they will flee into the other flocks and you will loose your horn as the ram. To undo these thing give your horn to the shepherd as you offer him that part of the leadership so your flock does not scatter, you won't like how it will goes, but put yourself at eased, always make sure the flock is fed well and prepare to do sacrifices your time working your hand like the animal of the ox for you will bare that much weight you will tug. I will keep this a puzzle to you, at the mean time don't give in to this grief.

Just out of interest, will things like the art and sprites for T:OW be saved for future use, along with any other work done on it? Doing that would probably take the edge off of this loss.
Now, my thoughts: I know that announcing this game so early was a bad idea, but I really liked the transparency you guys had with the project. Despite the long gaps, the spoilers and updates kept us captivated with the whole thing, which likely would have increased our enjoyment of the game and ReLogic's profits. Another thing, releasing progress updates lets us provide constructive criticism, which is almost free quality control.

I told you, this is your own fault that none had listen to me when I said the game will fail. I came back and I knew time was short on you, this is your curse you castes on yourself, I knew it won't turn out the way you expected and now someone will buy your unfinished production and your company. The possible the fact I won't lie because of you were too focus other things, you can't point the one direction and your determination flakes like the autumn fall. All I can say don't piss me off next time I will accept small apologized, but the next time you do something like this, the company will fall next. Don't say someone know how talk ok for me, you only speaking to rougher stone, a stone you can't shape by hand like rest crowds who is like clay.

Now if you ask question with question I will not answer you, but if you want to know keep your company going, I tell you this, higher more developers, grab the steam communities moderators, grab your fan moderator or modders people and ask of them for the lending hand for I tell you to trust my words of these so your work will not go to shatter like the glass it is. As you want to forge a perfect gem as diamond, then ask God for the lend and apologized to him more to accept your plead have your sins forgiven. Sorry sound like priest, but this is your own curse you brought it on yourself. At the time being your time is cracking, so you better ask the big man, I know your not man of God, but this was your own fault along with the your team, as I know your company will be bought out soon, and you won't be pleased about the price when they ask for it.

I know other companies will try fish for small one and yours is a small one, and at this time being, they will come swimming fast like a shark they are hunting and preying down on you because your the small fish and they will try make big buck out of your game. Like I said follow what i just said, because these are your sources of the people who are willing help and give you the back bones, these are the people who will give an arm to be lean on them, this is what you call friend in common way and predator will try hunt down an wounded animal and your the one who is wounded. Without good amount help, you will be defenseless even the heard of sheep will flee if you take up as the ram. These are wisdom and parable as I have to explain it the parable because no one understood what it means exactly, for the reason why is because no one will understood the story because they aren't in great wisdom so I will give wisdom and wisdom is not as greater knowledge for it made it along each other like brothers and sisters as we know without them we either grow up independent or grow up to be broken without them, that why wisdom and knowledge can't stay way from each other.

As the time being, prepare the worst time for your company, there will not be one shark in the water, but a swarm of them because they noticed your wound and your tears for it will grieved you will be pressured on this time, people will doubt like the sheep and won't stand by for they will flee into the other flocks and you will loose your horn as the ram. To undo these thing give your horn to the shepherd as you offer him that part of the leadership so your flock does not scatter, you won't like how it will goes, but put yourself at eased, always make sure the flock is fed well and prepare to do sacrifices your time working your hand like the animal of the ox for you will bare that much weight you will tug. I will keep this a puzzle to you, at the mean time don't give in to this grief.

Gotta love Google translate.
It certainly makes for entertaining reading.

I think I sprained something rolling my eyes at some of the posts in this thread. Especially certain recent, long-winded whiny-baby rants.

Yes, it's sad that the game had to be cancelled. But every company, game or otherwise, has been in situations like this. Things happened and a project went so far sideways there was no saving it. At least they were open and honest with us about it, instead of doing like some other companies have done and leaving us in limbo for years. Maybe they can salvage some of the features, like the music, for later inclusion into Terraria or even Terraria 2, or maybe they wont. All we can do now is wait and see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom